TLS - S4 - on DVD April 26! (Special Features Info added!)

DoreSchary

I can't wait to see "Bean Queen" and "Ringadingding" in restored quality! Lucy sounds like she has laryngitis and the color is so washed out and awful.

And were they tripping on acid when they made the Kaleidoscope intro? :lucyhaha:

Hey, it was the 60s, man! A very distinct possibility!!! :lucythrill:

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey, it was the 60s, man! A very distinct possibility!!! :lucythrill:

lmfao. Wanna bet that that's how they're going to design the menus for the next 2 seasons? In "Kaleidoscope" form?

I wish I could've lived in the 60s when lots of things on TV were really trippy and psychedelic. A lot of those bands who would perform on comedy shows would use trippy special effects.

lmfao. Wanna bet that that's how they're going to design the menus for the next 2 seasons? In "Kaleidoscope" form?

I wish I could've lived in the 60s when lots of things on TV were really trippy and psychedelic. A lot of those bands who would perform on comedy shows would use trippy special effects.

I was there, saw them, it wasn't that great but still much better than today though. I loved the kaleidoscope opening, it was very modern and new, i'm surprised they went for it on the show.

I can't wait to see "Bean Queen" and "Ringadingding" in restored quality! Lucy sounds like she has laryngitis and the color is so washed out and awful.

And were they tripping on acid when they made the Kaleidoscope intro? :lucyhaha:

Personally I think they dropped a bit of acid before they came up with Lucy's-disembodied-head-jack-in-the-box opening! :marionstrong:

Yes having never seen this special, that would be the main extra I would like in this series of DVDs. Will cross all my fingers

Me too! I think that's what everybody wants so it'll be a very successful release if that's included. It's the main selling point.

Personally, I'm looking forward to seeing "Lucy Gets Trapped" in pristine quality. Isn't that the one where she breaks the dishes at the department store?

Me too! I think that's what everybody wants so it'll be a very successful release if that's included. It's the main selling point.

Personally, I'm looking forward to seeing "Lucy Gets Trapped" in pristine quality. Isn't that the one where she breaks the dishes at the department store?

Oh yes, and it was one of the best episodes too.

Personally I think they dropped a bit of acid before they came up with Lucy's-disembodied-head-jack-in-the-box opening! :marionstrong:

Didn't you know? The Lucy Show credits inspired the Manson Family? Charlie and the girls acid-tripping to the Kaleidoscope credits in season 4 were thrown over the brink when they tuned in season 5's opener "Lucy and George Burns" and saw that disembodied head.

We need to be writing CBS (or whoever is behind TLS releases) NOW to tell them how much we want to see "Lucy in London" included in the season 5 release, because as of right now they don't want to spend the money. I would guess a lot of the cost would be the clearance of Newley's musical numbers, but if it's a make-or-break, I say "Cut it!" or dub in Carol Channing doing a number since they have virtually the same voice.

We need to be writing CBS (or whoever is behind TLS releases) NOW to tell them how much we want to see "Lucy in London" included in the season 5 release, because as of right now they don't want to spend the money.

Uh-oh, that's not good. Why would they want to sacrifice sales at this point by not including the set. They would be fowling up what would-be a very well-produced series on dvd.

Didn't you know? The Lucy Show credits inspired the Manson Family? Charlie and the girls acid-tripping to the Kaleidoscope credits in season 4 were thrown over the brink when they tuned in season 5's opener "Lucy and George Burns" and saw that disembodied head.

We need to be writing CBS (or whoever is behind TLS releases) NOW to tell them how much we want to see "Lucy in London" included in the season 5 release, because as of right now they don't want to spend the money. I would guess a lot of the cost would be the clearance of Newley's musical numbers, but if it's a make-or-break, I say "Cut it!" or dub in Carol Channing doing a number since they have virtually the same voice.

OMG that's so true, i never thought of that, Carol and Tony DO have the exact same singing voice. :lucydisgust:

Uh-oh, that's not good. Why would they want to sacrifice sales at this point by not including the set. They would be fowling up what would-be a very well-produced series on dvd.

Because years from now they can put out THE LUCILLE BALL L O S T SPECIAL, not seen in forty or fifty years, found under Tony Newley's bed and digitilly remastered for her fans for the very low price of 29.99. :lucyhorror:

Personally I think this rights thing is ridiculous. When someone appears on or releases songs etc for a show it becomes part of that show and the rights for that version/appearance should transfer to the show

Hmmm all this talk of Lucy In London had been thinking about resurecting my old website, sadly though with Geocities demise there don't seem to be any good free web hosts out there.... Oh well I guess IF this does get released with Season 5 it'd be a bit redundant anyhoo

Hmmm all this talk of Lucy In London had been thinking about resurecting my old website, sadly though with Geocities demise there don't seem to be any good free web hosts out there.... Oh well I guess IF this does get released with Season 5 it'd be a bit redundant anyhoo

Oh yes, i remember that site very well, was shocked that you had that tribute to the great special and showing the sites of the special "now" and "then", just amazing.

Oh yes, i remember that site very well, was shocked that you had that tribute to the great special and showing the sites of the special "now" and "then", just amazing.

I loved your Lucy in London site too. That special fascinates me on so many different levels. Just the fact that it ever got made is amazing. It was a ratings smash. #2 for the week (I remember reading somewhere). In the few reviews I read, the critics seemed perplexed. Instead of basking in the ratings success, Lucy listened to the critics and never stuck her neck out like that again. If there is a review that truly appreciates the special, I haven't seen it. "The Lucy Show" was still very enjoyable, but it was such a safe, predictable comedy with nothing new or original and then BAM! She throws this into the rotation, because instead of Lucille Ball in London, it's a continuation of (2-episode) Lucy Show story arc. However, it started with the program note "Because of the following special program, THE LUCY SHOW and The Andy Griffith Show will not be seen tonight." to make it clear this was not an episode of "TLS". "London" was never aired again, which makes the ending of "Flies to London" a little odd. Of all the Lucille Ball specials, I think only 1964's LB Comedy Hour (which ran on Sunday night, not in TLS's time slot) and Lucy Moves to NBC were ever repeated. "LBCH" was repeated 3 years later. "NBC" was run 3 times in the same season, although I think the last airing was filler because of some industry-wide strike. Does anyone know if "Stone Pillow" had a network rerun?

In all honesty, CBS needs something to boost sales of the "official" season 5, though most (if not all) diehard Lucy fans will buy the set anyway, but if they want new/casual DVD customers they need some sweeteners to make them buy this rather than the $3 bargan basement sets which contain practically the same episodes

In all honesty, CBS needs something to boost sales of the "official" season 5, though most (if not all) diehard Lucy fans will buy the set anyway, but if they want new/casual DVD customers they need some sweeteners to make them buy this rather than the $3 bargan basement sets which contain practically the same episodes

The public domains have so many of the 5th season offerings that if you are financially strapped it wouldn't be the most important item to buy on the list. I hope they put the London Show special on there, that would be the motivation I need to put that on my list. Plus, the visual quality on the public domains are lousy and they have edited scenes that I have never yet seen or scenes that I can't remember watching when they were first broadcast on television on Monday night. I think CBS will give us some good stuff. I am looking forward to it. :lucy1:

I loved your Lucy in London site too. That special fascinates me on so many different levels. Just the fact that it ever got made is amazing. It was a ratings smash. #2 for the week (I remember reading somewhere). In the few reviews I read, the critics seemed perplexed. Instead of basking in the ratings success, Lucy listened to the critics and never stuck her neck out like that again. If there is a review that truly appreciates the special, I haven't seen it. "The Lucy Show" was still very enjoyable, but it was such a safe, predictable comedy with nothing new or original and then BAM! She throws this into the rotation, because instead of Lucille Ball in London, it's a continuation of (2-episode) Lucy Show story arc. However, it started with the program note "Because of the following special program, THE LUCY SHOW and The Andy Griffith Show will not be seen tonight." to make it clear this was not an episode of "TLS". "London" was never aired again, which makes the ending of "Flies to London" a little odd. Of all the Lucille Ball specials, I think only 1964's LB Comedy Hour (which ran on Sunday night, not in TLS's time slot) and Lucy Moves to NBC were ever repeated. "LBCH" was repeated 3 years later. "NBC" was run 3 times in the same season, although I think the last airing was filler because of some industry-wide strike. Does anyone know if "Stone Pillow" had a network rerun?

"Stone Pillow" was rerun by CBS at least once - they reaired it in September 1987. "Lucy in London" actually came in third in the Nielsen ratings that week. Number one was the season ratings winner "Bonanza" and two was the first ever airing of "It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown."

How the heck do you KNOW all that stuff? About the specials, the ratings, the reruns of them and so on? The one thing i do remember about LIL is that Paris had refused them, so she went to London instead, and other specials were envisonned for many other cities. I got all excited at one point because i lved in what was called the Paris of North America, Montreal and thought how great it would have been for her to come HERE, back then, when everything here was booming with our world's fair to our Olympics, Liz had gotten married here, Lennon had his BED IN here, we were HOT back then. We could have subbed for Paris at half the price, LOL! But unfortunately yes, when Lucy read the reviews, she got discouraged and told Cleo who had produced that there would be no more sticking her neck out. I still think it's tied with Mr and Mrs as the two best specials she ever did. One for sentiment and one for originality.

"Stone Pillow" was rerun by CBS at least once - they reaired it in September 1987. "Lucy in London" actually came in third in the Nielsen ratings that week. Number one was the season ratings winner "Bonanza" and two was the first ever airing of "It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown."

Another country heard from, do you guys have reference books on these THINS or your own files? :lucyhmm::lucy2:

But it's us "diehard" fans that only know about and want pristine LIL on there, the casual fan or shopper isn't gonna have a clue what that is nor care whether it's a bonus feature on a TLS DVD! I've said it before and will keep saying that the reason these sets are so wonderful is that not since they were originally broadcast by CBS all those DECADES ago, we have not seen these episodes as they were meant to be seen -- pristine and UNCUT -- since then and at this point, this is the only way we'll ever GET them that way!

So for me, the joy is in having them in uncut form, in near-Technicolor quality "prints" (well whatever the correct digital term is for them!) and as an ever increasingly unappreciated by many (or so it seems), all these glorious BONUS FEATURES that the GAB guys are putting on MPI's HL releases and Tom & Company are adding to CBS's TLS releases!! In other words -- NEWS FLASH! -- they don't HAVE to give us any of this rare footage, goodies, and interviews, etc. but they are FANS WHO ARE TRYING TO DO US and the late great Lady herself RIGHT.

I'm proud of and grateful for their respective achievements and I look forward to the last two seasons of both series as some of my favorite episodes of each will be featured therein and although I'll be disappointed too should, say, LIL not make it onto one of these as a bonus, I'll be happy with what we DO get.

Just my two cents.

Archived