The Lucy Show Season 4--Reviews and First Impressions

Started this thread early when S3 was released, based on any episodes I had seen before. I've only seen about 4 episodes. I'll update once I see the other 21.

Lucy at Marineland--Loved this one even though we are seeing a major plot change. The whole bit with Lucy in the pool trying to get the ball was great--and when Mr. Mooney tried to "save" her when she was on the diving board. I've seen the behind the scenes clip of this when Lucy was on the Steve Lawrence show. In black and white--I hope this time it's in color!

Lucy the Stuntman--ehh, you cannot tell if there is any tension between Lucy and Joan. Seems like ANY Joan Lucy worked with on this show did not get along with her. Joan Blondell and Joan Collins. The bit when Lucy was a cowboy on the set was good.

Lucy the Choirmaster--Liked the opening in the office but was like "NO!" when she took all the tags off the Christmas gifts. The end was really funny with Mr. Mooney singing. "AND A PARTRIDGE IN A PEAR TREE."

Lucy the Gun Moll--She was so FINE in that outfit showing off those beautiful legs. Haven't seen the whole ep. yet.

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lucy at Marineland--Loved this one even though we are seeing a major plot change. The whole bit with Lucy in the pool trying to get the ball was great--and when Mr. Mooney tried to "save" her when she was on the diving board. I've seen the behind the scenes clip of this when Lucy was on the Steve Lawrence show. In black and white--I hope this time it's in color!

The Steve Lawrence Show was in black and white, so if we see the clips from the show, it will be in black and white.

Seems like ANY Joan Lucy worked with on this show did not get along with her. Joan Blondell and Joan Collins.

Joan Crawford. ;) Although I'm sure Charlotte Rae would have told Lucy she wouldn't have gotten along with Collins either. :lucythrill:

The Steve Lawrence Show was in black and white, so if we see the clips from the show, it will be in black and white.

Joan Crawford. ;) Although I'm sure Charlotte Rae would have told Lucy she wouldn't have gotten along with Collins either. :lucythrill:

Was shocked to see Joan Collins on Rules of Engagement tonight playing a rich woman, David Spade's character's mom, she still looks sensational and she was friends with Lucy in real life so they would have gotten along just fine. :lucythrill:

I remember seeing clips of Charlotte on ET saying Joan Collins was a bitch. I thought it was tongue-in-cheek. Does anyone know if there was something "serious" that caused her to think this about Joan.

By the way, it was around the time Joan and Linda were doing "Legends" and I was lucky to see it when it came to Boston. LOVED it!

I remember seeing clips of Charlotte on ET saying Joan Collins was a bitch. I thought it was tongue-in-cheek. Does anyone know if there was something "serious" that caused her to think this about Joan.

By the way, it was around the time Joan and Linda were doing "Legends" and I was lucky to see it when it came to Boston. LOVED it!

Yeah, kinda curious about that also, BUT maybe she was just referring to the characters she plays, nobody does BITCH bette than Joan, LOL! And wasn;t it her writer sister who wrote that book The Bitch, or am i thinking of a movie Joan starred in, or maybe even the movie based on the book?

Yeah, kinda curious about that also, BUT maybe she was just referring to the characters she plays, nobody does BITCH bette than Joan, LOL! And wasn;t it her writer sister who wrote that book The Bitch, or am i thinking of a movie Joan starred in, or maybe even the movie based on the book?

I think Joan starred in "The Bitch" but not sure if it was based on a book.

Funny thing is, they showed Joan the clip of Charlotte on ET and she said something to the effect of "Who's that old hag?" and seemed shocked. But I agree. I think she was referring to her characters too.

The Season Four set is absolutely terrific. While I think some of you might be disappointed that the Special Features are a bit slim compared to the previous releases, the quality is astounding. Highlights of the Special Features include Lucy dancing as a butterfly from Danny Thomas' special The Wonderful World of Burlesque (a wonderful performance, and an exceptional showcase of Lucy's physical comedy!), commercials (thanks, David!), Lucy: Behind the Scenes, which is a great compilation of the behind-the-scenes filming of Lucy At Marineland (black and white), Christmas radio messages from Gale, and so forth.

One of my favourite special features is the Beatrice Food Presentation, which was not what I expected at all. From the original description I thought it was a couple of commercials that had recently been discovered, rather than what it really was -- a sort of half-episode of The Lucy Show featuring Lucy and Gale, similar to the one-off HL promo. Although the picture has been lost, what Tom Watson and the Gang did with the visuals to enhanse the presentation is very creative and works surprisingly well! My other personal highlight is the Magic of Broadcasting clips. I had only seen this in a black and white, chopped up version so it was a revelation to see this in near-pristine condition and in living colour! The version I previously had did not include the segment with Gale, so that was a definite bonus, and here you actually get to see Hazel doing her behind-the-scenes work! One final note on the extras: it may be my imagination, but the Production Notes seem to be a lot more extensive and detailed here than in the previous three releases.

While the Special Features are fantastic, the true jackpot here is seeing all of these episodes in all their uncut, restored glory. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the only episode from this season that had been officially released previously was Lucy, The Gun Moll. These uncut episodes seem like almost completely different installments! I have only completed all the episodes on the first two disks so far, but I just can't believe how much material was butchered from them to make the syndicated copies -- a whole scene with Lucy and Jerry before seeing Harvey Korman in "Marineland"; more interaction with Mel Torme and a completely restored first verse to The Surfboard Came Back By Itself in "Music World"; a completely "new"* opening scene in Lucy & Joan, from which the rest of the episode now makes so much more sense!; restored "Carol Channing" dialogue fom "Lucy, The Undercover Agent" (Who knew Sol's full name was Sol Schwartz? lol); extended scenes in "Sleeping Beauty" and "Choir Master" ; and, of course, the near-mythic opening scene from "Lucy Helps Danny Thomas" where Lucy actually gets the job at the bank.

*It is genuinely watching an entirely new episode. Uncut, these are a hell of a lot funnier than what CTS and Nick @ Nite offered. I can't wait to dive into the third and fourth disks. I revise my opinion on Season Four by the end!

Lucy: Behind the Scenes, which is a great compilation of the behind-the-scenes filming of Lucy At Marineland (black and white)

Was this ONLY when they did the last scene or were there other parts? Was this taken from the Steve Lawrence Show?

the Production Notes seem to be a lot more extensive and detailed here than in the previous three releases.

Oooh can't wait! I love reading detailed production notes!

It is genuinely watching an entirely new episode. Uncut, these are a hell of a lot funnier than what CTS and Nick @ Nite offered. I can't wait to dive into the third and fourth disks. I revise my opinion on Season Four by the end!

You got that right. As for me, seeing as though I've only seen 3 episodes, this whole season is new to me! As was season 3. I can't wait to see Marineland and Choirmaster and Stuntman in their full uncut restored glory! It was all because of Josh that I even got to see those three episodes--and Kiddie Parties Inc, before these were officially released. Thanks Josh, wherever you are.

Was this ONLY when they did the last scene or were there other parts? Was this taken from the Steve Lawrence Show?

I could be wrong, but I think taken from multiple sources, including The Steve Lawrence Show as there is laughter at a couple of points. Yes, it is only the last scene.

I forgot to mention that the beginning of each disk as an extra "trippy" new kaleidoscope opening. You'll love it. ;)

Excellent review Brock! So sad I won't have enough money to get it on tuesday. Have to wait the following week when I get paid.

Just curious . . . can you watch this scene of Lucy trying to get in the pool and tell me what got cut out? I know something obviously got cut out when Lucy was trying to get the ball from the two seals because in one shot the seal is "talking" to Lucy, then in the very next shot he is catching the ball from the other seal.

And I know I can wait until Tuesday but my copy is obviously missing a huge chunk. I don't remember them ever explaining what happened to Chris. Was there anything in between when they left Mr. Mooney's office to when they were walking to the entrance--aside from them driving into the park? They must have had more dialogue when they were walking to the entrance.

Just curious . . . can you watch this scene of Lucy trying to get in the pool and tell me what got cut out? I know something obviously got cut out when Lucy was trying to get the ball from the two seals because in one shot the seal is "talking" to Lucy, then in the very next shot he is catching the ball from the other seal.

And I know I can wait until Tuesday but my copy is obviously missing a huge chunk. I don't remember them ever explaining what happened to Chris. Was there anything in between when they left Mr. Mooney's office to when they were walking to the entrance--aside from them driving into the park? They must have had more dialogue when they were walking to the entrance.

I'm sorry, I couldn't answer that as I have never seen any of the episodes from season 4. The clip sure has got me excited though for the DVD release.

The Season Four set is absolutely terrific.

Thanks for the terrific preview. I can't wait. The much-maligned season 4 has some real gems:

Wingding

Lucy and Joan

Stunt Man

Horse Guest

Danny Thomas (YES!!! and I won't hear a word said against this one)

Sleeping Beauty (Clint Walker)

Undercover Agent

Choirmaster

Bags a Bargain

Bob Crane

Hollywood Premiere (sans gorilla, this one is great, but double-cast Reta Shaw needed some extra money)

and OF COURSE Dean Martin

Marineland has grown on me and can't wait to see the uncut version

Gun Moll, I like because of Lucy's performance and her surprisingly respectable rendition of "My Heart Belongs to Daddy"

And these aren't bad:

Countess Sells Real Estate

Return of Ironman

Wayne Newton (although I don't know why this one gets a RAVE so often. Wayne's pudgy androgyny is a little off-putting. If they ever do "The Wayne Newton Story", there's work for Chaz Bono)

Art Linkletter

Soap Opera (with apologies to any Asian person on the board. This was 1965!!)

Clint Walker's Sweater

Even parts of these are OK:

Golden Greek, Mickey Rooney, Lucy the Robot

In fact, the only true duffers are "Rain Goddess" and "Superwoman"

Yeah Brock's right on the money with his review.

I guess I've been a bit spoilt, the episodes aired in England in the 90's must have been uncut however they did run shorter but I think they played them at a slightly faster speed.

My highlights were the Pearl Bailey Show and The Wonderful World of Burlesque..... Ihave never seen these before so it was awesome to see, even if its not the complete show.

Danny Thomas (YES!!! and I won't hear a word said against this one)

Okay, I'll admit I found the uncut version much, much funner than my syndicated copy but the rehearsal scenes are so overdone, IMO. Up until she actually joins the chorus it is a riot!

Soap Opera (with apologies to any Asian person on the board. This was 1965!!)

1965 or not, there is NOTHING good about this episode. :marionstrong:

In fact, the only true duffers are "Rain Goddess"

But even with "Rain Goddes" the first act is still pretty funny! But it is downhill from there...

Brock did you see my post about the Marineland clip?

Also I hope it has some insight about the "Lucy in the Heart" transition at the end of the opening. Was the one of her in the bluish-green blouse in front of the gray wall from season 5? You can see what I mean here. Just skip to the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrU57U-wBdE

Or is it the one of her in the white fur stole looking all "glamourous?" (sorry I can't remember what it looked like.)

I just love how it shows her in a heart with that smile. I wish I knew the exact day and time it was shot. =P

Started this thread early when S3 was released, based on any episodes I had seen before. I've only seen about 4 episodes. I'll update once I see the other 21.

Lucy the Stuntman--ehh, you cannot tell if there is any tension between Lucy and Joan. Seems like ANY Joan Lucy worked with on this show did not get along with her. Joan Blondell and Joan Collins. The bit when Lucy was a cowboy on the set was good.

Lucy the Choirmaster--Liked the opening in the office but was like "NO!" when she took all the tags off the Christmas gifts. The end was really funny with Mr. Mooney singing. "AND A PARTRIDGE IN A PEAR TREE."

Lucy the Gun Moll--She was so FINE in that outfit showing off those beautiful legs. Haven't seen the whole ep. yet.

What ep was Joan Collins ever on??

None, he was referring to Joan Crawford i think. The closest Joan came to Lucy was her former hubby Anthony Newley appearing with her on Lucy in London and the Carousel Ball on Dynasty where Lucy was in the crowd of guests.

That's not what he said:

Seems like ANY Joan Lucy worked with on this show did not get along with her. Joan Blondell and Joan Collins.
I read it that he's saying they worked together. Not to my knowledge, so I was looking for clarification.

That's not what he said: I read it that he's saying they worked together. Not to my knowledge, so I was looking for clarification.

He said COLLINS but obviously meant CRAWFORD as Collins never worked with Lucy on her shows. And Crawford and Blondell were the ones Lucy had problems with.

Brock wrote about Lucy and Danny Thomas:

Okay, I'll admit I found the uncut version much, much funner than my syndicated copy but the rehearsal scenes are so overdone, IMO. Up until she actually joins the chorus it is a riot!

I just KNEW you couldn't resist. Please clarify what you mean. By rehearsal scenes, do you mean the one where she screws up Mickey Manners? The short rehearsing in the hall scene with the girls? Or rehearsing the dance numbers with Danny? I remember the scenes with Danny all being rehearsal...

You're rarely off the mark, but when you're off.. it's a LULU ;) ...(Claude, back me up). Perhaps you'd like this one better if a gorilla got loose from the next soundstage and caused mayhem on Danny's set. Or if this one and "Soap Opera" were combined into "Lucy Helps Danny Thomas's Japanese Gardener".

GARY liked the Danny chorus scenes well enough to use it as the finale of "CBS Salutes" with most of the scene intact.

Brock: ("Soap Opera"): 1965 or not, there is NOTHING good about this episode. :marionstrong:

SO SOLLY you feel this way...

Brock: But even with "Rain Goddes" the first act is still pretty funny! But it is downhill from there...

I'll admit I haven't seen this one in a long time. It's true that you can dismiss a whole episode based on one scene or the overall theme and later discover there is so funny stuff in it. As a kid I liked "Superwoman", so maybe there's some good stuff in that one too.

Brock wrote about Lucy and Danny Thomas:

I just KNEW you couldn't resist. Please clarify what you mean. By rehearsal scenes, do you mean the one where she screws up Mickey Manners? The short rehearsing in the hall scene with the girls? Or rehearsing the dance numbers with Danny? I remember the scenes with Danny all being rehearsal...

You're rarely off the mark, but when you're off.. it's a LULU ;) ...(Claude, back me up). Perhaps you'd like this one better if a gorilla got loose from the next soundstage and caused mayhem on Danny's set. Or if this one and "Soap Opera" were combined into "Lucy Helps Danny Thomas's Japanese Gardener".

GARY liked the Danny chorus scenes well enough to use it as the finale of "CBS Salutes" with most of the scene intact.

Brock: ("Soap Opera"): 1965 or not, there is NOTHING good about this episode. :marionstrong:

SO SOLLY you feel this way...

Brock: But even with "Rain Goddes" the first act is still pretty funny! But it is downhill from there...

I'll admit I haven't seen this one in a long time. It's true that you can dismiss a whole episode based on one scene or the overall theme and later discover there is so funny stuff in it. As a kid I liked "Superwoman", so maybe there's some good stuff in that one too.

Both of you always offer very insightful comments on any show you discuss, i'm just not worthy, i have seen these shows so often and am so biased and nobody will ever change my opinion once it's made BUT, although i always loved the dancing rehearsal sequence with Lucy and Danny, now that i read gary loved it so much also, i fear i may have overdone my adulation for this particular show, LOL! Unfortunately the scene where her shoe flies off so far off it's mark that she has to go retrieve it off camera always stands out for me and overshadows the great slapticky series of events that leads up to it, well choreographed and offering a minutae of detail on the way. Even though we have seen this sequence of Lucy screws up umpteenth times before, a fresh viewing will be required before i say any more as my memory is forever faltering in this and most other areas.

Archived