The Lucy Show Season 4--Reviews and First Impressions

I think there is a difference between the main character of the show portraying something like this as opposed to supporting and background characters. In my mind, rightly or wrongly, having a couple of supporting characters recite lines in "Indian Speak" is not as bad as rolling up every single "Yellow Face" stereotype into one convenient package ranging from the stooped/weak/emasculated body and movements, to the exaggerated bite, to the "Ls" and the "Rs".

Oh, call your attorney.......Mickey LUDIN..

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Finally finished watching all the DVD's!

My disc 4 ratings;

Lucy Meets Dean Martin Excellent- Lucy looked HOT HOT HOT with this hairstyle

Lucy and Bob Crane Good

Lucy, The Robot Good

Lucy and Clint Walker Good

Lucy, The Gun Moll Good

Lucy, The Superwoman Poor - some funny bits but one of my least favourites

• 2 months later...

Finally.. have purchased season four and had time to watch it... so here is my opinion of this season's dvd collection. First off.. where is Tony M?? He was involved in the first three.. where did he go??

Okay.. now for the special features.. I saw somewhere that the features contained an exerpt from The Pearl Baily Show as a special feature... not on my copy.. They are slim as someone had mentioned.. but I like the "butterfly".. and the bw porpise pool (no commentary like on steve lawrence)..

Now on to the episodes.. First, let me say how pretty Miss B looks.. very young (good makeup and lighting!) And she wears such nice outfits most of the time.. probably since CBS is broadcasting in color by this point... So even if I get a bit bored with the dialouge... I have a pretty LB to look at! I like Marineland.. I like the non-set location feel of the episode.. I think it is well done and different and it is a very good show for that type of show. I think at times this sitcom is a skitcom and sometimes isn't anchored very well.. but if you just "go with it" it can be a good ride. I really hate the Iron Man stunts.. just dreadfull.. eiter do it right or scrap it.. but i think we have three Iron Man shows?? Well.. can't watch them.. just find them unfunny and embarassing... I also feel some of these episodes are fine and some stink on ice.. I think the robot deal was ridiculous.. it was funny seeing her do that in the store window in season 3 but not funny in the kid's house.. I know most of you didn't like the "Superwoman" episode.. but .. I think itz funny to a point.. I like how the special effects make it appear she has such strength! If I had to pick one that I truely didn't like.. It would be "Rain Goddess".. just sadens me .. all this wonderful talent and such a cruddy script.. who paid these people?? All in all.. I recieved my dvd online at a discount 18.00 as opposed to the 35.00 retail I would see in some stores.. and if I paid 35.00 for these dvds, I would have felt robbed.. but for 18.00 I am proud to have it in my collection... Well.. that's not entirely true.. full price is worth seein the Dean Martin episode... such a nice fun ride..

Okay.. now for the special features.. I saw somewhere that the features contained an exerpt from The Pearl Baily Show as a special feature... not on my copy.. They are slim as someone had mentioned.. but I like the "butterfly".. and the bw porpise pool (no commentary like on steve lawrence)..

The Pearl Bailey clip is on the Here's Lucy Season 4 set. :)

Finally.. have purchased season four and had time to watch it... so here is my opinion of this season's dvd collection. First off.. where is Tony M?? He was involved in the first three.. where did he go??

Now on to the episodes.. First, let me say how pretty Miss B looks.. very young (good makeup and lighting!) And she wears such nice outfits most of the time.. probably since CBS is broadcasting in color by this point... So even if I get a bit bored with the dialouge... I have a pretty LB to look at! I like Marineland.. I like the non-set location feel of the episode.. I think it is well done and different and it is a very good show for that type of show. I think at times this sitcom is a skitcom and sometimes isn't anchored very well.. but if you just "go with it" it can be a good ride. I really hate the Iron Man stunts.. just dreadfull.. eiter do it right or scrap it.. but i think we have three Iron Man shows?? Well.. can't watch them.. just find them unfunny and embarassing... I also feel some of these episodes are fine and some stink on ice.. I think the robot deal was ridiculous.. it was funny seeing her do that in the store window in season 3 but not funny in the kid's house.. I know most of you didn't like the "Superwoman" episode.. but .. I think itz funny to a point.. I like how the special effects make it appear she has such strength! If I had to pick one that I truely didn't like.. It would be "Rain Goddess".. just sadens me .. all this wonderful talent and such a cruddy script.. who paid these people?? All in all.. I recieved my dvd online at a discount 18.00 as opposed to the 35.00 retail I would see in some stores.. and if I paid 35.00 for these dvds, I would have felt robbed.. but for 18.00 I am proud to have it in my collection... Well.. that's not entirely true.. full price is worth seein the Dean Martin episode... such a nice fun ride..

Robbed??? :lucydisgust: That just doesn't sit right with me considering you are a Lucy fan

Robbed??? :lucydisgust: That just doesn't sit right with me considering you are a Lucy fan

Just my "lame" attempt at some humor... in poor taste I admit... I usually get the rap lately for being a bit harsh.. BUT I would think, at this point in her career, with I LOVE LUCY in syndication, she would strive for more home runs in prime time and less foul balls

Just my "lame" attempt at some humor... in poor taste I admit... I usually get the rap lately for being a bit harsh.. BUT I would think, at this point in her career, with I LOVE LUCY in syndication, she would strive for more home runs in prime time and less foul balls

Have you been watching her shows with Joffrey Martin Fiddlededee again? Go watch Drafted twenty times and say a Hail Mame and all will be forgiven. ;):D

I seriously doubt they were trying to do "bad" shows, but sometimes the stars just down align right, ya know? They can't all be "Vitameatavegamin", right? ;)

The Season Four set is absolutely terrific. While I think some of you might be disappointed that the Special Features are a bit slim compared to the previous releases, the quality is astounding. Highlights of the Special Features include Lucy dancing as a butterfly from Danny Thomas' special The Wonderful World of Burlesque (a wonderful performance, and an exceptional showcase of Lucy's physical comedy!), commercials (thanks, David!), Lucy: Behind the Scenes, which is a great compilation of the behind-the-scenes filming of Lucy At Marineland (black and white), Christmas radio messages from Gale, and so forth.

One of my favourite special features is the Beatrice Food Presentation, which was not what I expected at all. From the original description I thought it was a couple of commercials that had recently been discovered, rather than what it really was -- a sort of half-episode of The Lucy Show featuring Lucy and Gale, similar to the one-off HL promo. Although the picture has been lost, what Tom Watson and the Gang did with the visuals to enhanse the presentation is very creative and works surprisingly well! My other personal highlight is the Magic of Broadcasting clips. I had only seen this in a black and white, chopped up version so it was a revelation to see this in near-pristine condition and in living colour! The version I previously had did not include the segment with Gale, so that was a definite bonus, and here you actually get to see Hazel doing her behind-the-scenes work! One final note on the extras: it may be my imagination, but the Production Notes seem to be a lot more extensive and detailed here than in the previous three releases.

While the Special Features are fantastic, the true jackpot here is seeing all of these episodes in all their uncut, restored glory. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the only episode from this season that had been officially released previously was Lucy, The Gun Moll. These uncut episodes seem like almost completely different installments! I have only completed all the episodes on the first two disks so far, but I just can't believe how much material was butchered from them to make the syndicated copies -- a whole scene with Lucy and Jerry before seeing Harvey Korman in "Marineland"; more interaction with Mel Torme and a completely restored first verse to The Surfboard Came Back By Itself in "Music World"; a completely "new"* opening scene in Lucy & Joan, from which the rest of the episode now makes so much more sense!; restored "Carol Channing" dialogue fom "Lucy, The Undercover Agent" (Who knew Sol's full name was Sol Schwartz? lol); extended scenes in "Sleeping Beauty" and "Choir Master" ; and, of course, the near-mythic opening scene from "Lucy Helps Danny Thomas" where Lucy actually gets the job at the bank.

*It is genuinely watching an entirely new episode. Uncut, these are a hell of a lot funnier than what CTS and Nick @ Nite offered. I can't wait to dive into the third and fourth disks. I revise my opinion on Season Four by the end!

How come the Marineland scenes in the special features are in black and white when THE LUCY SHOW was filmed in color??? If this was from LUCY's own collection, why isn't it in color?? If it was the Steve Lawrence Show's cut, I would understand it, but why would madame president keep a black and white copy of scrapped scenes from a show filmed in color??

• 1 year later...

How on earth would CBS think this shot of Lucy is a good one to promote Season 4? :lucyshock: !!! "Unsettling" indeed!

$%28KGrHqNHJ!8FHTkU0zfoBR7DlQdEOQ~~60_57.JPG?rt=nc

Executive: We need a head shot of Miss Ball that conveys excitement.

Intern: I've got it!

Executive: What?

Intern: How about a shot of her yawning! :D

Executive: BRILLIANT!

How on earth would CBS think this shot of Lucy is a good one to promote Season 4? :lucyshock: !!! "Unsettling" indeed!

Looks like an "O" face to me. Or the first time she saw Desi nekkid. :lucyhaha:

• 1 month later...

I think you need to make an icon of that shot!

Archived