The Lucy Show Season 4--Reviews and First Impressions

Even though not considered "working together", Joan Collins paid tribute to Lucy on the all-star special honoring Lucy.

Just got my copy of Season 4!!! But I won't be watching it right away though because I have saved Season 3 (believe it or not -- what willpower!) so I can watch Season 3 and Season 4 back-to-back. But I might preview the special features tonight just for fun. :maryjane2:

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Even though not considered "working together", Joan Collins paid tribute to Lucy on the all-star special honoring Lucy.

Just got my copy of Season 4!!! But I won't be watching it right away though because I have saved Season 3 (believe it or not -- what willpower!) so I can watch Season 3 and Season 4 back-to-back. But I might preview the special features tonight just for fun. :maryjane2:

How did you get S4 already? Deep Discount? Urgh! I'm going to Target first thing tomorrow morning as usual! They said they will have it. I've been re-watching S3, but I guess I started too late because the last one I watched was "Lucy Goes to Vegas" and I don't think I'll finish in time for tomorrow morning. Speaking of "Vegas" I love their phony names. "Penelope Poopendorf."

Please clarify what you mean. By rehearsal scenes, do you mean the one where she screws up Mickey Manners? The short rehearsing in the hall scene with the girls? Or rehearsing the dance numbers with Danny? I remember the scenes with Danny all being rehearsal...

I mean rehearsing the dance numbers with Danny. They just don't work for me. This might sound odd, but it seems almost OVER-rehearsed, as if Lucy is trying extra hard to hit all of her marks with the umbrella -- and if she missed, she put the umbrella back in place, and tried to hit it again. There is something just off about the whole thing but I can't quite put my finger on it.

I mean rehearsing the dance numbers with Danny. They just don't work for me. This might sound odd, but it seems almost OVER-rehearsed, as if Lucy is trying extra hard to hit all of her marks with the umbrella -- and if she missed, she put the umbrella back in place, and tried to hit it again. There is something just off about the whole thing but I can't quite put my finger on it.

I heard, Dr Freud, that it was gary laughing so hard in the background that was throwing her OFF. :lucythrill:

Well, I just ordered my copy (priority shipping from Amazon) which means it'll be here within the week! :professor:

Definitely NOT buying it off eBay after what happened to my Charleton Heston copy of Here's Lucy last time! :lucydisgust:

Just think of the poor guy who ordered The Ten Commandments and got DRAFTED instead. :marionstrong:

How did you get S4 already? Deep Discount? Urgh! I'm going to Target first thing tomorrow morning as usual! They said they will have it. I've been re-watching S3, but I guess I started too late because the last one I watched was "Lucy Goes to Vegas" and I don't think I'll finish in time for tomorrow morning. Speaking of "Vegas" I love their phony names. "Penelope Poopendorf."

Deep Discount will get it to you pretty fast. Maybe I was just lucky. Anyhow, I guess Target is stocking it. Many people have said the website can be wrong about that stuff. So you should be able to find it. I started Season 3 last night so it'll be a little bit before I start Season 4 (but not too long). I tend to watch a bunch of episodes a day. It's Lucy, how can you not?!

Deep Discount will get it to you pretty fast. Maybe I was just lucky. Anyhow, I guess Target is stocking it. Many people have said the website can be wrong about that stuff. So you should be able to find it. I started Season 3 last night so it'll be a little bit before I start Season 4 (but not too long). I tend to watch a bunch of episodes a day. It's Lucy, how can you not?!

Got it at Target this morning! After all the money I've been forced to spend this past week, Mr. Mooney would NOT be happy with me. I loved the special features on Disc 1, especially the Fall Promo with the Wingding music. Just not very happy that there's no vintage openings/closings!

Love Brock's new avatar. Is this from "Bags a Bargain"? Is "Bargain" Barbara Morrison's first Lucy Show appearance? Is it in this one that she says the line about Lucy: "I don't know what her name is, but I THINK it's Typhoid Mary". I love the way she pronounces Mary, with more of a "l" than "r".

I'm trying to remember all Barbara's appearances, but can only come up with "Substitute Secretary", "Working Daughter" "Fights the System". Surely there were more. Barbara and Reta Shaw were interchangeable, but both were wonderful in their own way.

"Mr. COLLINS!!" "Bags Bargain" is silly, but I've always liked it, and Barbara "large stockholder" Morrison is a big reason. ("You can say THAT again") Lucy makes riding that motorized skateboard thing in a circle look easy, but it's pretty amazing, don't you think?

Just finished Disc 1.

1.) Golden Greek--Great. Poor Mr. Mooney with the chairs. lolz. I wonder if Howie the nerd has some sort of mental problem. And I lolzed at when Lucy said "Now THAT'S weird" upon seeing two men dance with each other which was then said to be a traditional Greek dance. And also Lucy mistaking moussakka (however you spell it) for "music-a." :lucyhaha:

2.) Marineland--loved it! They cut out so much stuff in syndication, like Lucy and Jerry first arriving at the building and Jerry pointing out everything around, and some stuff in Major Grayson's office such as Lucy talking about how she worked in NYC for a month doing several jobs, the reason why she moved to LA to be closer to Chris and there was more I can't remember. and some of the dialogue when Lucy first comes to the bank. And bits and pieces of when they were in the park. I had no idea Jimmy Piersall played for the Angels because it showed the banner of which team he was on. I don't think they did before. There was Lucy waving to Major G. and the boys at the whale stadium arena. Also the scene with Lucy on the yellow dinghy in the pool seemed longer.

3.) Music World--Loved it! Why couldn't I be a teenager in 1965 when everybody was diggin the latest tunes and "wing-dinging?" I mainly loved it for the Wing-ding song on the show and all the dancing. And the "Moon" song was beautiful. I had a feeling that Barney would immediately turn down Mr. Tinker. I got a kick out of Lucy as a "surfer" chick. And what was with the "six bare feet?"

4.) Lucy and Joan--Great. you cannot tell that Lucy and Joan hated each other off camera. I totally knew Lucy's cake would get ruined. I loved how there were BALLOONS at the party! And good idea to grab one item and cut through several lines at the market. You know, the more episodes I see, the more predictable it comes--such as Lucy knocking down the shelves and everything.

5.) Lucy the Stuntman--Good. I'm glad I finally saw this one uncut because they cut out Lucy breaking her refrigerator and only started with "Operation Fur coat." They didn't cut out Mr. Mooney getting orange juice and ice cubes did they? However I still remember the "just jiggle it a little it'll open" line from the same scene. =P

6.) Horse Guest--Good. What made it better was Bill Frawley's stablehand cameo. Those baby foals were cute. And like the flubs said, Mr. Mooney already had 3 sons even though he said "I hope it's a boy, I've always wanted a son!" Oops!

SPECIAL FEATURES

Loved the Fall Promo with the Wing Ding music

Marineland outtakes were good, but one question--was Lucy REALLY crying at one point near the end? That was sad to see! Seemed like she was really crying because she wailed the director's name "Maury."

The flubs said that there were TWO balls in the shot when the porpoise tossed it out of the pool and you can see it in the background, but they may have cropped it out in the final cut because I could only see one ball in the actual episode.

Love Brock's new avatar. Is this from "Bags a Bargain"? Is "Bargain" Barbara Morrison's first Lucy Show appearance? Is it in this one that she says the line about Lucy: "I don't know what her name is, but I THINK it's Typhoid Mary". I love the way she pronounces Mary, with more of a "l" than "r".

I'm trying to remember all Barbara's appearances, but can only come up with "Substitute Secretary", "Working Daughter" "Fights the System". Surely there were more. Barbara and Reta Shaw were interchangeable, but both were wonderful in their own way.

"Mr. COLLINS!!" "Bags Bargain" is silly, but I've always liked it, and Barbara "large stockholder" Morrison is a big reason. ("You can say THAT again") Lucy makes riding that motorized skateboard thing in a circle look easy, but it's pretty amazing, don't you think?

Thanks, Neil! Yes, it's from Lucy Bags a Bargain when Hazel steals her coat. As far as I recall this is her first TLS apparance, and it is the "Typhoid Mary" episode. As for additional Barbara Morrison episodes, she was also in "A Date for Lucy" as Harry's date, and I think she was also in Lucy Fights the System as one of the restaurant patrons.

If it's terrible for you, it's DREADFUL for me! :lucydaze:

Bitter experience shows that terrible episodes for everybody else are instant classics in your book! :lucythrill::marionstrong:

Thanks, Neil! Yes, it's from Lucy Bags a Bargain when Hazel steals her coat. As far as I recall this is her first TLS apparance, and it is the "Typhoid Mary" episode. As for additional Barbara Morrison episodes, she was also in "A Date for Lucy" as Harry's date, and I think she was also in Lucy Fights the System as one of the restaurant patrons.

Bitter experience shows that terrible episodes for everybody else are instant classics in your book! :lucythrill::marionstrong:

marionstrong.gif

Okay, I got mine @ Target on the way home from work, so between getting home late and like THREE different things on at the same time I want to watch tonight, I'm not gonna make much of a dent in checking these out tonight! Despite wanting to watch these in broadcast order, I couldn't help myself and went straight to the Dean Martin ep first (Disc 4, Episode 1) and OMG, I don't think she's EVER looked more stunningly beautiful!! We may never know the real story behind why she stopped wearing that oh-so-flattering hairstyle, but between that, the gorgeous and flattering all black dress (gown?) she wore to the dance and to top it off, the beaded "Audrey Hepburn wore it in one of her movies!" jacket, she just was simply stunning....STUNNING!! happy.gif The ep was one of Bobby O'Brien's best efforts too and of course, it was well-served by seeing it intact and uncut. My only "issue" and its a minor one but one that bugs me too whenever Hope and a handful of others appear with her and that's the way they play to the camera and intentionally break the fourth wall. Annoying! Overall though, one of the season's highlights. :D

Just had time to screen another, so I went back to the beginning and watched "Marineland" -- OMG!! So much that's been cut over the years, so much I'd forgotten if in fact I'd ever seen it at all: love the explanation that she moved to LA to be closer to her daughter attending college (unnamed) there -- funny she never found her way to her apartment then in 3 seasons! ;) Great location footage too at the now defunct Marineland, and it was great to see the set up of how/why Mooney happened to move too. Also loved her list of "careers" during her brief sojurn to NYC before she was a married gal -- classic "Lucy."

I can't wait to see more all-time faves, which for me include the Clint Walker episodes, the Ann Southern eps (especially the Frawley one) and of course, "Bags a Bargain" and the Christmas episode. cool.gif

I just watched the first six episodes. My copies of the fourth season episodes were mostly poor quality, so I love to see how great Lucy looks here. I'm loving the bits cut from syndication. Lucy's delivery of "Bless you" to Harvey Korman is hilarious. The uncut versions explain a lot of things I've wondered while watching these episodes through the years. I never knew how Lucy and Joan originally knew it was Brad's birthday, for example. That opening scene was great. The expanded production notes are fantastic. I love reading things like that. They did an excellent job reconstructing the Beatrice Foods sales tape. It was amazing to see the The Magic of Broadcasting footage in color with Gale's interview too. I'm assuming the whole special was in color. They had the segment dealing with The Dick Van Dyke Show on The Dick Van Dyke Show DVD sets. It was in black and white. I wonder if it is out there in color. That would be, to my knowledge, the only color footage of The Dick Van Dyke Show.

Fidelman wrote in his book that Carole dubbed Lucy's singing of "Poor Butterfly" in The Wonderful World of Burlesque. There was no singing here. Anyone know if Fidelman is right somehow?

And after all the trouble she went to in order to get Chris into Milroy. Ungrateful brat! <_<;)

Dean Bennett wouldn't risk having another hell-raising Taylor girl on his campus!!

Harry Carter wrote:Fidelman wrote in his book that Carole dubbed Lucy's singing of "Poor Butterfly" in The Wonderful World of Burlesque. There was no singing here. Anyone know if Fidelman is right somehow?

There's singing at the beginning of the whole air ballet but it happens well before Lucy comes on. It's definitely not Carole.

I contend that Carole did Lucy's singing only once on a series and that was Carol Burnett/Gym Musical. If Carole did Lucy's singing in "T Ernie's Fun Farm" "Generation Gap" or "Carol/Unemployment Follies", they toned her down so much it doesn't sound like her. Does anyone else think it's Carole in these shows?

There are LOTS of mistakes in Fidelman's book.

Neither Lucy nor Carole sang in the Burlesque special.

I agree, whilst it is a very comprehensive book there are lots of things he hasn't included and lots of mistakes. I mean, lots of extras on the DVD's aren't even mentioned as appearances in his book. I used to think of it as the "Lucy Bible" but I don't acknowledge it as that these days.

I agree, whilst it is a very comprehensive book there are lots of things he hasn't included and lots of mistakes. I mean, lots of extras on the DVD's aren't even mentioned as appearances in his book. I used to think of it as the "Lucy Bible" but I don't acknowledge it as that these days.

Yeah but some of his reviews were right up your alley though, LOL! :lucythrill::marionstrong:

Yeah I typed up all the titles from that book and that used to keep adding to it when i found stuff and included the radio shows. Hmmm must dig that out one day....

Yup, me too, great reference book that i refer to every time i watch one of her shows that i haven't seen in a while. Seldom agree with his comments but the references are better than his reviews. :lucydisgust:

Archived