The Lucy Show Season 4--Reviews and First Impressions

Whenever I get any Lucy DVD set (from the ILL sets, and the HL and TLS sets) I will watch every episode, but I always find it hard to watch any of the "musical" or "musical guest star" episodes. I do watch them but don't really enjoy them very much

I tend to agree but at the same time, one of my all time Here's Lucy episodes is "Lucy and the Generation Gap". Apart from that, I am not a huge fan of the other ones. My least favourite musical was the one with Tennessee Ford - it was TERRIBLE!

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone insight on why there isn't a option to watch this episodes with the Vintage Openings/Closings? I'm kinda bummed about that. (For Consistency Reason's, lol)

The second and third seasons were filmed in color, but originally aired in black and white, so viewers could see how the shows originally opened and closed in black and white. There were no longer commercials featuring the cast members by the fourth season.

The second and third seasons were filmed in color, but originally aired in black and white, so viewers could see how the shows originally opened and closed in black and white. There were no longer commercials featuring the cast members by the fourth season.

Oh Ok, makes sense. Thanks.

Thank you, Harry Carter for pointing out to the fans that there were no longer cast commercials starting with the fourth season. Having worked very closely on the set, we pulled every network version of the episodes we could find. Unfortunately, this time, we simply couldn't locate every episode like we were able to do with other seasons. We believe this is most likely because the network versions were cut up and conformed to air as syndicated prints...it just made economical sense back then.

HOWEVER, in the special features area, viewers can still see all the possible sponsor billboards that we were able to uncover from the vault. In my opinion they are quite un-unique though as compared to the previous three seasons.

I hope you enjoy!

Thank you, Harry Carter for pointing out to the fans that there were no longer cast commercials starting with the fourth season. Having worked very closely on the set, we pulled every network version of the episodes we could find. Unfortunately, this time, we simply couldn't locate every episode like we were able to do with other seasons. We believe this is most likely because the network versions were cut up and conformed to air as syndicated prints...it just made economical sense back then.

HOWEVER, in the special features area, viewers can still see all the possible sponsor billboards that we were able to uncover from the vault. In my opinion they are quite un-unique though as compared to the previous three seasons.

I hope you enjoy!

Just out of curiosity, how long does it take to clean up one episode and restore it for DVD? If it were ROTOSCOPING (going frame by frame) that would take forever! :lucydisgust:

Unfortunately, this time, we simply couldn't locate every episode like we were able to do with other seasons. We believe this is most likely because the network versions were cut up and conformed to air as syndicated prints...it just made economical sense back then.

Ugh! So you're saying this set has a mix of original broadcast version and syndication prints?? That's so Rhoda Season One by Shout!! Say it ain't so!!!!

:o

Ugh! So you're saying this set has a mix of original broadcast version and syndication prints?? That's so Rhoda Season One by Shout!! Say it ain't so!!!!

:o

No sorry for the confusion. The episodes themselves are completely unedited and are all from the negatives.

The topic was about the sponsor openings/closings and cast commercials. Those elements do not exist on the negative and came from 16mm network B&W prints...however, many of them were cut up over the years to conform them to syndicated prints.

Make sense?

"Lucy and Wayne Newton"--Lucy is at her most charming in this one, but don't you think she's a little presumptuous when upon seeing Wayne for the first time she asks "Are you MISTER Newton?". I don't remember 23-year-old 'teenager' Wayne being quite this androgynous.

"Rain Goddess" Their depiction of Indians makes Lucy's Soap Opera Japanese gardener look positively PC! One of the younger generation 'braves' is wearing skin-darkening make-up.

"Lucy and Wayne Newton"--Lucy is at her most charming in this one, but don't you think she's a little presumptuous when upon seeing Wayne for the first time she asks "Are you MISTER Newton?". I don't remember 23-year-old 'teenager' Wayne being quite this androgynous.

It was Carson who put her up to that! LOL! :lucyhorror::lucydisgust:

No sorry for the confusion. The episodes themselves are completely unedited and are all from the negatives.

The topic was about the sponsor openings/closings and cast commercials. Those elements do not exist on the negative and came from 16mm network B&W prints...however, many of them were cut up over the years to conform them to syndicated prints.

Make sense?

God yes and WHEW!! Thank you, what a relief!! 99% of the reason for me wanting these so badly is because they're uncut and the closest we'll ever see again to their original broadcasts!! THANK YOU!!!! lucyhaha.JPG

God yes and WHEW!! Thank you, what a relief!! 99% of the reason for me wanting these so badly is because they're uncut and the closest we'll ever see again to their original broadcasts!! THANK YOU!!!! lucyhaha.JPG

Just finished disc 3

Lucy Discovers Wayne Newton--loved it! I feel like that "the music makes her give milk faster" line reminds me of something a bit more vulgar, and no, this doesn't happen with girls. And yay for more balloon references! "I feel like a porcupine in a balloon factory!"

Rain Goddess--Good. I wasn't expecting that to happen at the end though. I got a kick out of Lucy eating raw fish. And they really had themed hotels in the mid 60s?

Art Linkletter--loved it! Poor Lucy though, lolz. At least she won, and way to go for tricking Mr. Mooney at the end. I think they rehashed this plot in "Lucy Loses Her Cool." And how the heck did she not scream when she got surprised by something? And did I miss something . . . what was that office she was working in? Was it some temporary job?

Bags a Bargain--Great, I much enjoyed the bit when she worked in the sporting goods, and then all the bouncy balls flying out of the box. And she is really good on stilts and pogo sticks!

Mickey Rooney--Good, I like how they did a silent movie sketch at the end and sped up the camera. And I never knew that he was so short!

Soap Opera--great! I got a kick out of Lucy acting like a stereotypical Chinese gardener. I hope that any Chinese who watched it back then weren't offended. And also lolz at when she was the old lady. I love when she talks in that "lisp." It sounds so funny! I didn't think Lucy would actually give it away at the end that SHE was the one trying to talk the actor into keeping him in the show.

Hollywood Premiere--Great! How did they not have a feeling that Lucy was a woman? She still had lipstick on and talked in her normal voice at times. And I love how even though she was disguised as a doorman she was all gaga for the male movie stars and they were like "whaaaat?" Especially at the "I love dreaming of you at night" line. How funny.

Just finished disc 3

Lucy Discovers Wayne Newton--loved it! I feel like that "the music makes her give milk faster" line reminds me of something a bit more vulgar, and no, this doesn't happen with girls. And yay for more balloon references! "I feel like a porcupine in a balloon factory!"

I haven't made it this far, but I have noticed a lot of seemingly sexual lines being thrown around, it's pretty amusing. And I couldn't help but think of you when I saw Lucy and Joan and Lucy grabbed the balloons to get herself under the table, one of my favorite gags so far!

Well, so far so long lol -Like Chedrchstr up top, im just now finishing disc 3,

This shows so far have been very very nice- almost perfect in many cases-but when I put in Disc 3, and I saw the titles, I knew I

was in for some cheap comic book comedy-It started with Wayne..I understood the clothes were tightly worn back then, but Gaugh-lee

Also, anytime one animal gets on that set, the show seems to automatically drop a percentage in quality lol -All those chickens and goats,

and cows is nice to see in maybe one quick scene as far as a change of pace, but not for the entire show.

In person, the show must've been quite interesting and super fun seeing all of the live animals-but when watching on TV you're kind of over it after you see

one react and your not too sure if it's a good thing or a bad thing lol, and to revolve the story around this weird kid's Michael Jackson complex just brings on a sigh moment.lol

Different time, different kind of show I guess.

...The rain goddess..Now there's something to this show-it's not that believable, but it's has some charm and it's funny, just not a stellar script, but not a bad show.

I noticed something during this show- Lucy's audience is so use to her flying

across the set, or falling through the floor, until just doing a classic "Lucy Mimed strip tease" is almost not enough for them-but at home, my friends and I were dying laughin so hard lol

..by this time I think the writers

were writing with the idea "if it's impossible, let lucy do it" simply because Lucy was funny enough to get away with it.

I can always tell if a particular show isn't my favorite because my mind instantly starts paying attention to Lucy and her mannerisms

rather than the plot lol and such was the case when I watched "Lucy the Superwoman"...

How this ever got on the air I'll never know. The writers of the show seem to have some underlining man dominatrix issues, because they love to see

Lucy overly powerful. Iron Carmichael, the superwoman-sheesh, I dont mind it but it's kinda gettin played lol

This is the kind of show that I think we'll see a lot more of in the later seasons, where the plots are ridiculous and so bad that it's even a little difficult

for the performers to really give it their all, but is still a good show over all

Lucy Meets Mickey Rooney is good, but could have been so much better without all that darn yelling.

Just as every guest actor HAS to cry in some scene of Touched By An Angel, the same goes for The Lucy Show, only the actor MUST SCREAM SOME WHERE IN THE SCRIPT.

I dont understand why every one has to shout at Lucy, over and over and over again. And Uncle Har-I mean Mr. Mooney, just shouts and shouts... I guess it's cause Im watching the show back to back lol

But to see Lucy constantly reprimanded over simple tasks, takes away all of the confidence we need to see within the character and her cleverness, otherwise she just comes off as annoying and utterly incapable and that is not the Lucy character I enjoy, but give me Lucy in anything and I'll watch it anyway lol

Over these small hits, this show is A WORK to me- the show does SUPERB without the earlier format. I do wish I saw Viv come into one or two shows to visit, or maybe see Mary Jane, Lucy, Viv,and the Countess all do something together

just to bring in something different...All in all, the 4th season is a WONDERFUL season, and most have a polished feel to it.

The handling of the show is THE BEST-the extras are amazing. These are just as good as any other season- it's chalked full of rarities, and the restoration

and quality is brilliant. The sound is perfect, the intro and dvd menus are exquisite, it's just a great great DVD set that goes as one of the best seasons.

Well, so far so long lol -Like Chedrchstr up top, im just now finishing disc 3,

This shows so far have been very very nice- almost perfect in many cases-but when I put in Disc 3, and I saw the titles, I knew I

was in for some cheap comic book comedy-It started with Wayne..I understood the clothes were tightly worn back then, but Gaugh-lee

Also, anytime one animal gets on that set, the show seems to automatically drop a percentage in quality lol -All those chickens and goats,

and cows is nice to see in maybe one quick scene as far as a change of pace, but not for the entire show.

In person, the show must've been quite interesting and super fun seeing all of the live animals-but when watching on TV you're kind of over it after you see

one react and your not too sure if it's a good thing or a bad thing lol, and to revolve the story around this weird kid's Michael Jackson complex just brings on a sigh moment.lol

Different time, different kind of show I guess.

...The rain goddess..Now there's something to this show-it's not that believable, but it's not out of the park. It's a funny show though. Lucy's audience is so use to her flying

across the set, or falling through the floor, until just doing a classic "Lucy Mimed strip tease" is almost not enough for them-by this time I think the writers

were writing with the idea "if it's impossible, let lucy do it" simply because Lucy was funny enough to get away with it.

I can always tell if a particular show isn't my favorite because my mind instantly starts paying attention to Lucy and her mannerisms

rather than the plot lol and such was the case when I watched "Lucy the Superwoman"...

How this ever got on the air I'll never know. The writers of the show seem to have some underlining man dominatrix issues, because they love to see

Lucy overly powerful. Iron Carmichael, the superwoman-sheesh, I dont mind it but it's kinda gettin played lol

This is the kind of show that I think we'll see a lot more of in the later seasons, where the plots are ridiculous and so bad that it's even a little difficult

for the performers to really give it their all, but is still a good show over all

Lucy Meets Mickey Rooney is good, but could have been so much better without all that darn yelling.

Just as every guest actor HAS to cry in some scene of Touched By An Angel, the same goes for The Lucy Show, only the actor MUST SCREAM SOME WHERE IN THE SCRIPT.

I dont understand why every one has to shout at Lucy, over and over and over again. And Uncle Har-I mean Mr. Mooney, just shouts and shouts... I guess it's cause Im watching the show back to back lol

But to see Lucy constantly reprimanded over simple tasks, takes away all of the confidence we need to see within the character and her cleverness, otherwise she just comes off as annoying and utterly incapable and that is not the Lucy character I enjoy, but give me Lucy in anything and I'll watch it anyway lol

Over these small hits, this show is A WORK to me- the show does SUPERB without the earlier format. I do wish I saw Viv come into one or two shows to visit, or maybe see Mary Jane, Lucy, Viv,and the Countess all do something together

just to bring in something different...All in all, the 4th season is a WONDERFUL season, and most have a polished feel to it.

The handling of the show is THE BEST-the extras are amazing. These are just as good as any other season- it's chalked full of rarities, and the restoration

and quality is brilliant. The sound is perfect, the intro and dvd menus are exquisite, it's just a great great DVD set that goes perfect with one of the best seasons.

BUT DID YOU LIKE IT? LOL! Great review buddy!

I have to admit that the Ironman Carmichael trilogy is a guilty pleasure. I have Lucy-fan friends who HATE it, but the silliness of the mayhem has some innocent charm, I think. Bob Crane at 37 was the youngest of her young suitors (that I can think of), followed by Clint Walker at 39, Jacques Bergerac at 40. If you didn't know Lucy's age, I don't she appears embarrassingly older than these guys, but she always had the young ones (much like Claude). In fact I think the only suitor that was older than Lucy (or even close to her age) was Bob Cummings. I'm just glad WAYNE NEWTON wasn't one of her beaus!

The Dean Martin episode is real gem. WHO ELSE could do this type of higher-brow comedy and the very next week be Ironman Carmichael? You always have to cut these celebrity-double episodes some slack. For instance, it doesn't seem Dean cleared his plan with Eddie, or even told him about it; and even if they had pulled it off, wouldn't that make the 'second' date, Eddie's first a little awkward? Wouldn't it have made him look better if Eddie had called Lucy and told her the truth....but then there wouldn't be this great show! This was such a stand-out episode, Gary tried to include it in CBS Salutes but it didn't work as well trimmed way back.

The Milton Berle episode was a real dud, though no fault of Lucy or Milton, who give it all they've got even though they're given so little to work with. The only good thing about it was Lucy's flower girl character. And it does contain one of my all time favorite Gale Gordon-delivery lines: "Mrs. Carmichael, whatever you're going to do...are you going to do it to ME?" I wonder if the actor playing Milton's agent was a last minute replacement, because he reads word for word directly off the cue cards without looking at Milton.

Mickey Rooney was another dud. Nothing happens. Lucy's Chaplin is great as always but Chris's NY Eve Party skit is better. The script was by writers whose names I recognized but this was their only Lucy script...thank heaven!

And "Superwoman" is just not the type of Lucy comedy I like--things breaking, etc.--which seems to be a Milt J. influence (that and things blowing a 'fuse' for no particular reason). Were they so desperate for scripts that they had to stoop to taking one rejected by "GILLIGAN'S ISLAND"???

Haven't finished the discs yet, but if you eliminate about 5, you've got a consistently solid, enjoyable season.

I have to admit that the Ironman Carmichael trilogy is a guilty pleasure. I have Lucy-fan friends who HATE it, but the silliness of the mayhem has some innocent charm, I think. Bob Crane at 37 was the youngest of her young suitors (that I can think of), followed by Clint Walker at 39, Jacques Bergerac at 40. If you didn't know Lucy's age, I don't she appears embarrassingly older than these guys, but she always had the young ones (much like Claude). In fact I think the only suitor that was older than Lucy (or even close to her age) was Bob Cummings. I'm just glad WAYNE NEWTON wasn't one of her beaus!

The Dean Martin episode is real gem. WHO ELSE could do this type of higher-brow comedy and the very next week be Ironman Carmichael? You always have to cut these celebrity-double episodes some slack. For instance, it doesn't seem Dean cleared his plan with Eddie, or even told him about it; and even if they had pulled it off, wouldn't that make the 'second' date, Eddie's first a little awkward? Wouldn't it have made him look better if Eddie had called Lucy and told her the truth....but then there wouldn't be this great show! This was such a stand-out episode, Gary tried to include it in CBS Salutes but it didn't work as well trimmed way back.

The Milton Berle episode was a real dud, though no fault of Lucy or Milton, who give it all they've got even though they're given so little to work with. The only good thing about it was Lucy's flower girl character. And it does contain one of my all time favorite Gale Gordon-delivery lines: "Mrs. Carmichael, whatever you're going to do...are you going to do it to ME?" I wonder if the actor playing Milton's agent was a last minute replacement, because he reads word for word directly off the cue cards without looking at Milton.

Mickey Rooney was another dud. Nothing happens. Lucy's Chaplin is great as always but Chris's NY Eve Party skit is better. The script was by writers whose names I recognized but this was their only Lucy script...thank heaven!

And "Superwoman" is just not the type of Lucy comedy I like--things breaking, etc.--which seems to be a Milt J. influence (that and things blowing a 'fuse' for no particular reason). Were they so desperate for scripts that they had to stoop to taking one rejected by "GILLIGAN'S ISLAND"???

Haven't finished the discs yet, but if you eliminate about 5, you've got a consistently solid, enjoyable season.

God i LOVE your posts on thins like this, did you ever think of writing a book on Lucy? Instead of people who can't put two sentences together.

I noticed that too about Milton Frome as Milton Berle's agent. I've never seen anyone read off cue cards so badly. I've always liked the first two Iron Man shows. Not so much the actual Iron Man scenes, but what leads up to it. Lucy actually said in an interview during production of "Lucy the Rain Goddess" that "Lucy the Stunt Man" was her favorite episode of the season so far. I haven't gotten to "Lucy and Bob Crane" yet. That episode has always creeped me out. Maybe I'll enjoy it more pristine and unedited. For Lucy Carter's boyfriends, Cesar Romaro was actually older than her (born in 1907). Murray Matheson, who played Kim's old goat professor, was a year younger than Lucy.

1965-66 prices adjusted for inflation.

Lucy's new refrigerator, leopard coat, stuntman pay for H-12, dinette set (less tax) and ticket Dean Martin bought for charity ball: all $100 then would be $710 today.

Her daily pay as Mooney's part time secretary would be $99.50 (not bad!)

Her $20 Christmas tree would be $142.

Doris Day's nightie she bought for her collection would be $532.

It cost Lucy $1022 to have her movie magazines shipped from Danfield. No wonder Mooney blew his stack.

Her payoff to Flip Mark to get him off her movie star map selling corner was $71..a day!

And Oil Well's stable bill would be a staggering $6650!

And speaking of Oil Well. I can understand how they might overlook Bogie the sheepdog's sex and were surprised when "him" had puppies, but a HORSE??

Lucy actually said in an interview during production of "Lucy the Rain Goddess" that "Lucy the Stunt Man" was her favorite episode of the season so far.

Interview during "Rain Goddess"? Published where? What else did she have to say? "Stunt Man" her favorite to that point? I would have thought "Wingding" or "Danny Thomas". "Dean Martin" had obviously yet to be made. I would say "Dean" is the best of the year...but her all-time favorite of any episode (including ILL?)? That's stretching it.

I looked through our local newspaper archives a few years ago and remember the day "Art Linkletter" aired the TV columnist wrote that he got a call from Milt Josefsburg telling him to be sure to alert his readers to the episode because "when Lucy has to keep her mouth closed tonight, you'll have yours open laughing" or something like that. The thumbnail review of "Soap Opera" said "this is one of the best episodes this series has had in a long time..". Now that these episodes are fresh in my mind, I'll find some time to look through the archives again.

(By the way, I've been sick this week so have had a lot of time to watch these; and that accounts for my numerous posts. I'm bored!)

I haven't gotten to "Lucy and Bob Crane" yet. That episode has always creeped me out.

Too bad Crane's memory is sullied by his grisly death, because he's actually quite charming. "Shy and assuming" Lucy is so beautiful, her entrance into the restaurant gets gasps and applause from the audience. Clint Walker's two episodes spoils Lucy Carmichael/Carter's one-date-only record. They all seem to adore her but never call again...Oh, MEN!!

Lucy at Marineland - Agree with some the previous comments. Very AWKWARD. I was thinking about Viv the entire episode. Decent Season Premiere.

Lucy and the Golden Greek - AHHH finally some familiarity. As soon as saw Mary Jane, i was HOOKED. We Love Her. The plot was so-so, but lucys interaction with the shy guy is so entertaining that you don't even care. Great episode.

Lucy in the Music World - LOVED LOVED LOVED IT. Totally 60's. Wing Ding is new favorite Jam. And my gosh, it never ceased to amaze me how great lucy's body was. Best episode of the disk.

Lucy and Joan - This where things start heading downhill. I've never been a huge fan of Joan blondell and absolutely cannot stomach her on TLS. Her and Lucy haven't an OUNCE of chemistry on the screen. The episode itself was just OK. The Handsome Guy was a total Jackass, though. Hmph, Men.

Lucy, The Stunt Man - UGH! I despise Joan blondell in this. TOTAL BORE. Lucy was on point, but the script was so WEAK that not even Lucy's talents could save this episode for me. I did not crack a smile once, let alone laugh. Worst Episode so far.

Lucy and the Countess Have a Horse Guest - I Absolutely adore Ann Sothern as the Countess, and she doesn't disappoint here. The Episode itself is Good, not Great. The plot was basically a watered down version of that one Lucy-Desi comedy hour special with Betty Grable. I must also say that i have been enjoying Gale Gordon IMMENSELY on TLS, more than i do on HL. I felt like the writers gave his character a bit more "Common Sense", rather than giving him a heart attack every 5 seconds.

On to Disc 2...

Interview during "Rain Goddess"? Published where? What else did she have to say? "Stunt Man" her favorite to that point? I would have thought "Wingding" or "Danny Thomas". "Dean Martin" had obviously yet to be made. I would say "Dean" is the best of the year...but her all-time favorite of any episode (including ILL?)? That's stretching it.

This was a syndicated newspaper article on Lucy that ran the week "Lucy Discovers Wayne Newton" aired. Lucy did not really elaborate on why she liked "Lucy the Stunt Man" so much. She makes it seem like she liked it because it was different from anything she had previously done before and she liked the cigarette rolling scene. Other things Lucy discussed in the interview was how cooperative the animals were in the Wayne Newton show, unlike the bear that bit her and the Marineland porpoises. She also spoke of how she believed every stunt she did. She said that the night before she was thinking about how she was going to do her rain dance while watching coverage of the Vietnam War on TV and it made her question why she's doing silly things when there were such important things going on in the world.

Lucy at Marineland - Agree with some the previous comments. Very AWKWARD. I was thinking about Viv the entire episode. Decent Season Premiere.

Lucy and the Golden Greek - AHHH finally some familiarity. As soon as saw Mary Jane, i was HOOKED. We Love Her. The plot was so-so, but lucys interaction with the shy guy is so entertaining that you don't even care. Great episode.

Lucy in the Music World - LOVED LOVED LOVED IT. Totally 60's. Wing Ding is new favorite Jam. And my gosh, it never ceased to amaze me how great lucy's body was. Best episode of the disk.

Lucy and Joan - This where things start heading downhill. I've never been a huge fan of Joan Collins and absolutely cannot stomach her on TLS. Her and Lucy haven't an OUNCE of chemistry on the screen. The episode itself was just OK. The Handsome Guy was a total Jackass, though. Hmph, Men.

Lucy, The Stunt Man - UGH! I despise Joan Collins in this. TOTAL BORE. Lucy was on point, but the script was so WEAK that not even Lucy's talents could save this episode for me. I did not crack a smile once, let alone laugh. Worst Episode so far.

Lucy and the Countess Have a Horse Guest - I Absolutely adore Ann Sothern as the Countess, and she doesn't disappoint here. The Episode itself is Good, not Great. The plot was basically a watered down version of that one Lucy-Desi comedy hour special with Betty Grable. I must also say that i have been enjoying Gale Gordon IMMENSELY on TLS, more than i do on HL. I felt like the writers gave his character a bit more "Common Sense", rather than giving him a heart attack every 5 seconds.

On to Disc 2...

Someone else with a Joan COLLINS fixation

Archived