The Lucy Show Season 4--Reviews and First Impressions

Lucy and Joan - This where things start heading downhill. I've never been a huge fan of Joan Collins and absolutely cannot stomach her on TLS. Her and Lucy haven't an OUNCE of chemistry on the screen. The episode itself was just OK. The Handsome Guy was a total Jackass, though. Hmph, Men.

Was it her characers name?

Maybe Joan Brenner ended up marrying that jackass Brad Collins and that's why we never hear from either of them again.

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Too bad Crane's memory is sullied by his grisly death, because he's actually quite charming. "Shy and assuming" Lucy is so beautiful, her entrance into the restaurant gets gasps and applause from the audience. Clint Walker's two episodes spoils Lucy Carmichael/Carter's one-date-only record. They all seem to adore her but never call again...Oh, MEN!!

Sure, one date with HER and you were worn out.

Lucy at Marineland - Agree with some the previous comments. Very AWKWARD. I was thinking about Viv the entire episode. Decent Season Premiere.

Lucy and the Golden Greek - AHHH finally some familiarity. As soon as saw Mary Jane, i was HOOKED. We Love Her. The plot was so-so, but lucys interaction with the shy guy is so entertaining that you don't even care. Great episode.

Lucy in the Music World - LOVED LOVED LOVED IT. Totally 60's. Wing Ding is new favorite Jam. And my gosh, it never ceased to amaze me how great lucy's body was. Best episode of the disk.

Lucy and Joan - This where things start heading downhill. I've never been a huge fan of Joan blondell and absolutely cannot stomach her on TLS. Her and Lucy haven't an OUNCE of chemistry on the screen. The episode itself was just OK. The Handsome Guy was a total Jackass, though. Hmph, Men.

Lucy, The Stunt Man - UGH! I despise Joan blondell in this. TOTAL BORE. Lucy was on point, but the script was so WEAK that not even Lucy's talents could save this episode for me. I did not crack a smile once, let alone laugh. Worst Episode so far.

Lucy and the Countess Have a Horse Guest - I Absolutely adore Ann Sothern as the Countess, and she doesn't disappoint here. The Episode itself is Good, not Great. The plot was basically a watered down version of that one Lucy-Desi comedy hour special with Betty Grable. I must also say that i have been enjoying Gale Gordon IMMENSELY on TLS, more than i do on HL. I felt like the writers gave his character a bit more "Common Sense", rather than giving him a heart attack every 5 seconds.

On to Disc 2...

Love your reviews, LOL!

This was a syndicated newspaper article on Lucy that ran the week "Lucy Discovers Wayne Newton" aired. Lucy did not really elaborate on why she liked "Lucy the Stunt Man" so much. She makes it seem like she liked it because it was different from anything she had previously done before and she liked the cigarette rolling scene. Other things Lucy discussed in the interview was how cooperative the animals were in the Wayne Newton show, unlike the bear that bit her and the Marineland porpoises. She also spoke of how she believed every stunt she did. She said that the night before she was thinking about how she was going to do her rain dance while watching coverage of the Vietnam War on TV and it made her question why she's doing silly things when there were such important things going on in the world.

Oh wow, this one is really insightful, thanks Harry.

"Lucy and Art Linkletter"----urgghh!! This is the sort of episode that gives "The Lucy Show" a bad reputation. Also very frustrating for us Lucy-lovers, because Lucy is at the top of her game, gives a great performance in a premise, Lucy forbidden to talk for 24 hours,that holds some promise. Yes, we have to give these 60s sitcoms a lot of slack and not scrutinize them for reality in order to enjoy them but this one asks WAY too much of us. And just to vent:

How does Art know that Lucy lives in an apartment or where it is?

What does having your doll eaten by a gorilla when you're 3 have to do with losing your voice 50 years later??

Why stage all those antics in lucy's apartment when the "House Party" audience doesn't get to see them or even hear about them?

Since the "policeman's" gun shoots down pictures, we have to assume they're real bullets?

So Art's staff has the cooperation of the police department to put an innocent person in jail for the night as a stunt?

And where was Ruth Cosgrove when Lucy was in jail?

And just when you think things can get no more ridiculous, in comes a gorilla from the "Acme Pet Shop".

The script is by Fred Fox and Iz Elinson, their last, I think, and they usually do much better work. But this has Milt Josefsburg's mark all over it (probably "from an idea suggested by gorilla namesake/wife Hilda Josefsburg"!!). Milt was only too eager to scuttle ANY logic for the sake of a cheap laugh; things falling and breaking for no apparent reason, etc. He always confused what visuals delight a live audience with how it comes across on film.

I remembered this one as being better, but the best that can be said is that it's not as bad as "Lucy Loses her Cool", a virtual remake with Art Linkletter on "Here's Lucy".

All finished!

Bob Crane--I guess it was good, I'm glad that Lucy finally admitted that she was Iron Man.

Lucy The Robot--LOVED IT. Especially the behind the scenes extra of this episode! The only thing that bugged me was that the first "robot" was obviously a human (Larry Dean, also the Mechanical Man in "Ceramic Cat") and when he crashed, Lucy came back with a fake head. They could've done something better than that! I mainly loved how they kept playing "Up on the housetop" when Lucy and the "robot" walked.

Clint Walker--Yay for more balloons! (See the balloon race at the picnic) Poor Lucy though, going through all that trouble and then the sweater shrinks. Good

Lucy the Superwoman--It was good until the end when she kept "flying." That was just silly. I knew her gland would become unstuck sometime.

Lucy Dates Dean Martin--Good, I wasn't crazy about Lucy's hairstyle in this one--same with "Horse Guest." Looked better on Here's Lucy.

Also whatever happened to The Countess? She just disappeared after "Helping the Countess."

OK So top episodes for this season

Lucy at Marineland

Lucy in the Music World

Lucy Helps the Countess

Lucy The Choirmaster

Lucy Discovers Wayne Newton

Lucy Goes to a Hollywood Premiere

Lucy the Robot

"Lucy and Art Linkletter"----urgghh!! This is the sort of episode that gives "The Lucy Show" a bad reputation. Also very frustrating for us Lucy-lovers, because Lucy is at the top of her game, gives a great performance in a premise, Lucy forbidden to talk for 24 hours,that holds some promise. Yes, we have to give these 60s sitcoms a lot of slack and not scrutinize them for reality in order to enjoy them but this one asks WAY too much of us. And just to vent:

How does Art know that Lucy lives in an apartment or where it is?

What does having your doll eaten by a gorilla when you're 3 have to do with losing your voice 50 years later??

Why stage all those antics in lucy's apartment when the "House Party" audience doesn't get to see them or even hear about them?

Since the "policeman's" gun shoots down pictures, we have to assume they're real bullets?

So Art's staff has the cooperation of the police department to put an innocent person in jail for the night as a stunt?

And where was Ruth Cosgrove when Lucy was in jail?

And just when you think things can get no more ridiculous, in comes a gorilla from the "Acme Pet Shop".

The script is by Fred Fox and Iz Elinson, their last, I think, and they usually do much better work. But this has Milt Josefsburg's mark all over it (probably "from an idea suggested by gorilla namesake/wife Hilda Josefsburg"!!). Milt was only too eager to scuttle ANY logic for the sake of a cheap laugh; things falling and breaking for no apparent reason, etc. He always confused what visuals delight a live audience with how it comes across on film.

I remembered this one as being better, but the best that can be said is that it's not as bad as "Lucy Loses her Cool", a virtual remake with Art Linkletter on "Here's Lucy".

"Lucy Loses Her Cool" is actually one of my favorite episodes from the first three seasons of Here's Lucy. "Lucy and Art Linkletter" is probably one of my least favorites. It's because of everything you listed. Too many things make absolutely no sense. Lucy's terrific in the episode. "Lucy Loses Her Cool" has everything arranged by Mary Jane and has Harry and the kids in on it, so it works for me.On paper, though, I think the plot of "Lucy and Art Linkletter" sounds like a better premise than "Lucy Loses Her Cool."

"Lucy Loses Her Cool" is actually one of my favorite episodes from the first three seasons of Here's Lucy. "Lucy and Art Linkletter" is probably one of my least favorites. It's because of everything you listed. Too many things make absolutely no sense. Lucy's terrific in the episode. "Lucy Loses Her Cool" has everything arranged by Mary Jane and has Harry and the kids in on it, so it works for me.On paper, though, I think the plot of "Lucy and Art Linkletter" sounds like a better premise than "Lucy Loses Her Cool."

Geez, you guys could teach comedy writing 101 at Harvard.

I had a second viewing of the following episodes: "Lucy In Marineland", "Lucy And The Golden Greek", "Lucy In The Music World", and "Lucy And Joan":

"Lucy In Marineland"- I actually enjoyed this episode after seeing it again. I didn't feel the awkwardness that I felt when I first viewed it. What stands out for me is that the "Here's Lucy" future cast were sitting behind Lucy in the bleachers. Fidelman's book says that Dee Dee Ball was in the bleachers. I couldn't see her. I liked the outdoor location shoots because the camera gives it the feeling of actually being there. I felt uncomfortable with Lucy's relationship with her son Jerry, in this episode. This was a far cry of how she behaved two or three years before when he entered miltary sahool. By the way, she moved to California to be closer to Chris who was attending school up north and she never appears on the show for any episode again and mentioned maybe only twice. When in the fifth season when Viv comes to visit, Chris could have made an appearance on the Sunset Strip scene when Lucy and Viv dressed up like hippies. Chris could be pretending to be a hippie to help her old schoolmate with his sociological project and bumping into her mother and Viv. I did enjoy Lucy working with the seals and the dolphins.

"Lucy And The Golden Greek"- After carefully watching this one the second time, I think it is perfectly plausible that Mr. Mooney would show up at the Greek restaurant since he mentioned in the dialog with Lucy that he was going out to dinner with the bank's president. I missed that dialog the first time around.

"Lucy In The Music World"- It seems that the writers love for Lucy's bosses to have them yell her name out: "Misssesss Carrrrmichaellllll"

"Lucy And Joan"- I enjoyed this a little better the second time around. Joan Blondell wasn't that bad as a sidekicked neighbor. It would have been nice to have two continuing characters who played Lucy's neighbor. At first when Joan delivered Lucy's lost mailbox key, I thought she was the nosey landlady that Mary Jane was talking about in the earlier episode.

I had a second viewing of the following episodes: "Lucy In Marineland", "Lucy And The Golden Greek", "Lucy In The Music World", and "Lucy And Joan":

"Lucy In Marineland"- I actually enjoyed this episode after seeing it again.

Just re-watched this one and "Music World" today too. One thing that irked me . . . Lucy should've gotten some Marineland attendant to get the ball out of the pool. Oh well then it wouldn't be funny. There should've been some other way for her to end up swimming with the porpoises.

And I looked up Jimmy Piersall's bio, he may have looked handsome, but seemed like a jerk back in the day because of several violent incidents, including spanking his teammate's 4 year old son in the clubhouse during a game. Well he played for the *shudder* Red sox so I guess there's a reason why he seemed like a jerk. :lucyhaha:

And I fricking LOVE the "Wing Ding" song! So catchy and 60s! I also love Lucy's song "My trousseau sits on a shelf 'cause my board came back byyyyyyyy itseeeeelf!"

Lucy The Stunt Man- This is a very silly yet satisfying episode. Lucy and Gale's first scene together was hilarious, from Lucy rigging up the refrigerator to trick Mr. Mooney into giving her money for her fur coat, to Mr. Mooney finding out her scheme and throwing it into her face by modeling it. The actual stunt scene is alot of fun with Lucy dressed up in man drag. I especially liked the facial expression Lucy was making when one of the stunt men lit his match on her behind.

Lucy And The Countess Have A Horse Guest- Everything is great with this episode. Lucy's longer wig, Ann Sothern, William Frawley, Herb Vigran, and the "I Love Lucy" references in the dialog. Today, when I watched William Frawley doing his cameo appearance and Lucy looking him up and down. I flashed backed when they were doing the Apache dancing on the episode "The Adagio". It seem like a whole lifetime ago at this point.

Does Lucy Carmichael (or Carter) EVER finish a big bowl of popcorn???

Am I right in that there seems to be much more this type of thing this season? Like this and the spaghetti going down the garbage disposal...

And how many times will Lucy's landlord replace the post between her kitchen and living room?

Just re-watched this one and "Music World" today too. One thing that irked me . . . Lucy should've gotten some Marineland attendant to get the ball out of the pool. Oh well then it wouldn't be funny. There should've been some other way for her to end up swimming with the porpoises.

And I looked up Jimmy Piersall's bio, he may have looked handsome, but seemed like a jerk back in the day because of several violent incidents, including spanking his teammate's 4 year old son in the clubhouse during a game. Well he played for the *shudder* Red sox so I guess there's a reason why he seemed like a jerk. :lucyhaha:

Piersall went public with his mental problems in "Fear Strikes Out" which I think was made into a movie. I don't know what those problems were or when this was in relation to this episode, but I wonder if that's what he's referring to when he says "And they call ME a kook." I love Lucy's exchanges with him about having his mother go to the manager and tell him that Piersall has just as much right to pitch as the other boys.

I agree, whilst it is a very comprehensive book there are lots of things he hasn't included and lots of mistakes. I mean, lots of extras on the DVD's aren't even mentioned as appearances in his book. I used to think of it as the "Lucy Bible" but I don't acknowledge it as that these days.

You have to cut Fidelman a break. He was working with what information he had at the time and is accurate for the most part.

Marineland: It was a good opener but in general I've never been a fan of outside location shoots. I never liked any of the outdoor location "Here's Lucy" episodes much (apart from the 2nd episode of the Militay one). God how much Lucie and Desi Jr. grew in 3 years from then until Here's Lucy!

Greek: What could have been a fantastic episode was ruined by Lucy's date! He was a bad choice in casting, he grated on my nerves and didn't seem right. Shame cause I really enjoyed the episode but he ruined it for me! :(

Marineland: It was a good opener but in general I've never been a fan of outside location shoots. I never liked any of the outdoor location "Here's Lucy" episodes much (apart from the 2nd episode of the Militay one). God how much Lucie and Desi Jr. grew in 3 years from then until Here's Lucy!

Greek: What could have been a fantastic episode was ruined by Lucy's date! He was a bad choice in casting, he grated on my nerves and didn't seem right. Shame cause I really enjoyed the episode but he ruined it for me! :(

So, didn't make you want to break any dishes huh? :lucythrill::lucy2:

Archived