The Lucy Show Season 4--Reviews and First Impressions

I started Disc 2 of the fourth season of "The Lucy Show":

The special features were fantastic:

"The Wonderful World Of Burlesque" in color. I remember seeing portions of it in black and white on some of those public domain videos.

Gale Gordon's Christmas message for responsible drinking for the holidays. He has one of the best radio voices in the business. He sounded in his delivery that he was enjoying doing these public service announcements.

Now I watched the episode "Lucy Helps Danny Thomas". I liked that I got to see the scene which is edited out on my video copy of Lucy interviewing for a job as Mr. Mooney's secretary. She is giving her first assignment by Mooney which explains why she is at the studio in the first place. I liked Lucy making this actor screw up his lines for Danny Thomas by confusing him when they were rehearsing. Danny Thomas does a terrific meltdown scene with both the actor who screws up his lines and with Lucy who screws up his rehearsal.

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hollywood Premiere: It was ok, the last scene was really silly and ruined what I thought would be a good episode

Dean Martin: Loved it

Bob Crane: Really disliked it

Robot: Good

Clink Walker: Loved it

Gun Moll: Loved it

Superwoman: Pretty bad but still had it's moments

I watched most of the special features & wanted to ask if anyone else had a problem with the behind the scenes footage of Marineland? Lucy seemed genuinely upset & uncomfortable, & even scared of the dolphins between takes. She must have been in the water for hours, & when someone asked if she was OK she quietly mentions how cold the water is.

She even called out,"Maury, please!" while crying at one point. It was upsetting to watch, & I couldn't enjoy that part of the episode after seeing this first. I know she had to cry & seem upset for parts of the scene but it seemed as though she wasn't acting a lot of the time, & I felt bad for her.

Yeah in the interview where she shows these she says the water was freezing and she was in it for a looong time (I forget how long off hand). If I remember right she didnt like the dolphins getting to close....

Lucy seemed to have a lot of fun showing these off to everyone.

Yeah in the interview where she shows these she says the water was freezing and she was in it for a looong time (I forget how long off hand). If I remember right she didnt like the dolphins getting to close....

Lucy seemed to have a lot of fun showing these off to everyone.

45 minutes. But even if she wasn't acting for most of it I still love that episode. lolz!

I watched most of the special features & wanted to ask if anyone else had a problem with the behind the scenes footage of Marineland? Lucy seemed genuinely upset & uncomfortable, & even scared of the dolphins between takes. She must have been in the water for hours, & when someone asked if she was OK she quietly mentions how cold the water is.

She even called out,"Maury, please!" while crying at one point. It was upsetting to watch, & I couldn't enjoy that part of the episode after seeing this first. I know she had to cry & seem upset for parts of the scene but it seemed as though she wasn't acting a lot of the time, & I felt bad for her.

Yeah, didn't she go put on a wet suit at one point because the water was so cold? I think she said that to Steve Lawrence when viewing the footage. :lucydisgust:

Although Lucy may not have had a great time actually filming the episode, she loved to laugh about it. This was a favorite story of hers to tell on talk shows, She loved to watch the outtakes. She said at one ofher 1984 Museum of Broadcasting seminars she wished she had the outtakes with her to screen because she thought they were so funny.

I must say that this season was a pain to get through. Their wasn't a single classic episode in the bunch. Had i'd been alive during it's initial airing, i would have been highly disappointed.

Don't get me wrong, it's still better then 95% of the crap shown on TV today. But Vivian Vance was Sorely missed...at least by me. As were the writers For ILL. Lucy was the only thing i enjoyed consistently throughout this season.

Lucy And The Sleeping Beauty- This is a great episode with hunk Clint Walker, Mary Wickes as Aunt Gussey? ( I hoped this is the right name an that I spelled it correctly), and Mary Jane Croft as Mary Jane Lewis. I love the scene when Aunt Gussey comes in sees Clint Walker passed out on Lucy's lap and Lucy wearing a paper bag over her head.

:lucy2: (whispering) "He was a commando, been up 48 hours and if he wakes up he will break your brother's nose."

:maryjane2: "I don't have a brother, I have an Aunt Gussey."

Lucy, The Undercover Agent- This was one great episode from start to finish.

Disc 2

Lucy Helps Danny Thomas- not a great episode

Lucy Helps The Countess- pending judgement til I watch it again.

Lucy And The Sleeping Beauty- This was a great episode

Lucy, The Undercover Agent- This was a great episode.

Lucy, The Choir Master- A great holiday episode. They mentioned Danfield in this episode.

I must say that this season was a pain to get through. Their wasn't a single classic episode in the bunch. Had i'd been alive during it's initial airing, i would have been highly disappointed.

Don't get me wrong, it's still better then 95% of the crap shown on TV today. But Vivian Vance was Sorely missed...at least by me. As were the writers For ILL. Lucy was the only thing i enjoyed consistently throughout this season.

It was called the LUCY show, so she was the only one that mattered anyway, LOL!

Lucy And The Sleeping Beauty- This is a great episode with hunk Clint Walker, Mary Wickes as Aunt Gussey? ( I hoped this is the right name an that I spelled it correctly), and Mary Jane Croft as Mary Jane Lewis. I love the scene when Aunt Gussey comes in sees Clint Walker passed out on Lucy's lap and Lucy wearing a paper bag over her head.

:lucy2: (whispering) "He was a commando, been up 48 hours and if he wakes up he will break your brother's nose."

:maryjane2: "I don't have a brother, I have an Aunt Gussey."

Lucy, The Undercover Agent- This was one great episode from start to finish.

Disc 2

Lucy Helps Danny Thomas- not a great episode

Lucy Helps The Countess- pending judgement til I watch it again.

Lucy And The Sleeping Beauty- This was a great episode

Lucy, The Undercover Agent- This was a great episode.

Lucy, The Choir Master- A great holiday episode. They mentioned Danfield in this episode.

Is this the season that has the ep where Lucy and The Countess try and sell this modern apartment? I'm dying to watch that one again. It's not so much that it's a laugh riot but it's such an unusual subject matter for them.

Is this the season that has the ep where Lucy and The Countess try and sell this modern apartment? I'm dying to watch that one again. It's not so much that it's a laugh riot but it's such an unusual subject matter for them.

Sure is, think its Lucy Helps Countess

Just finished watching season four of "The Lucy Show." Overall it's one of my favorite seasons. Lucy looks terrific and is still at the top of her game.

Episodes: (Excellent)

1) Lucy and the Golden Greek

2) Lucy in the Music World

3) Lucy and Joan

4) Lucy Helps Danny Thomas

5) Lucy and the Sleeping Beauty

6) Lucy, The Choir Master

7) Lucy Bagas a Bargain

8) Lucy Dates Dean Martin

9) Lucy and Clint Walker

10) Lucy, The Gun Moll

Episodes: (Very Good)

1) Lucy at Marineland

2) Lucy and the Countess Have a Horse Guest

3) Lucy Helps the Countess

4) Lucy, The Undercover Agent

5) Lucy Discovers Wayne Newton

6) Lucy and Art Linkletter

7) Lucy Goes to a Hollywood Premiere (except the last part w/ the Gorilla)

Episodes: (Good)

1) Lucy The Stunt Man

2) Lucy Saves Milton Berle

3) Lucy Meets Mickey Rooney

4) Lucy and the Soap Opera

5) Lucy and the Return of Iron Man

Episodes: (Poor)

1) Lucy, The Rain Goddess (the worst episode of season 4)

2) Lucy and Bob Crane

3) Lucy, The Robot

4) Lucy, The Superwoman

I agree with all your excellents EXCEPT "Music World" which I would rank as Poor.

I agree with all your very goods EXCEPT "Lucy helps the countess" which I would rank as Good verging on Poor

I don't agree with your goods. I think Stunt Man was excellent. Milton Berle, Soap Opera and Return Of Iron Man were Poor

I agree with your poors EXCEPT I think Lucy, The Robot was good verging on very good.

Not even "Lucy in the Music World," "Lucy the Choirmaster" or "Lucy dates Dean Martin?" Or "Marineland?" Come on you had to have laughed at something!

POINT SYSTEM:

Excellent ... 3 points

Good ... 2 points

Fair ... 1 point

Bad ... 0 point

Poor ... -1 point

The Lucy Show: Season 4

"Lucy and the Golden Greek"

2 points (Good)

"Lucy at Marineland"

2.5 points (Excellent-Good)

"Lucy and Joan"

2 points (Good)

"Lucy, the Stuntman"

1 point (Fair)

"Lucy in the Music World"

-1 point (Poor)

"Lucy Helps the Countess"

2 points (Good)

"Lucy and the Sleeping Beauty"

1.5 points (Good-Fair)

"Lucy Helps Danny Thomas"

-1 point (Poor)

"Lucy and the Countess Have a Horse Guest"

"Lucy, the Undercover Agent"

1.5 points (Good-Fair)

"Lucy and the Return of Iron Man"

.5 point (Fair-Bad)

"Lucy Saves Milton Berle"

0 point (Bad)

"Lucy Bags a Bargain"

1.5 points (Good-Fair)

"Lucy, the Choirmaster"

2 points (Good)

"Lucy Discovers Wayne Newton"

.5 point (Fair-Bad)

"Lucy and Art Linkletter"

1.5 points (Good-Fair)

"Lucy, the Rain Goddess"

1 point (Fair)

"Lucy Meets Mickey Rooney"

.5 point (Fair-Bad)

"Lucy and the Soap Opera"

0 points (Bad)

"Lucy Goes to a Hollywood Premiere"

1.5 points (Good-Fair)

"Lucy Dates Dean Martin"

"Lucy and Bob Crane"

1.5 points (Good-Fair)

"Lucy, the Robot"

"Lucy and Clint Walker"

2 points (Good)

"Lucy, the Gun Moll"

"Lucy, the Superwoman"

1 point (Fair)

OVERALL: 34 points

SEASON AVERAGE: 1.3 points (Good-Fair)

SEASON RANK: 6th

LMFAO! And I thought that my ratings were bad! Mind you! I am SO GLAD that someone agrees with me on "Music World" - That episode really was horrible!

Boy, you must hate Season 4, Harrison. If it were Season 3 you were voting then I'd be in agreeance :lucythrill:

LMFAO! And I thought that my ratings were bad! Mind you! I am SO GLAD that someone agrees with me on "Music World" - That episode really was horrible!

Boy, you must hate Season 4, Harrison. If it were Season 3 you were voting then I'd be in agreeance :lucythrill:

I don't hate this season at all. I just find it to be the weakest season of The Lucy Show series and of Lucille Ball's TV career (not including Life with Lucy).

In regards to the "Music World" episode, I don't quite understand how people find that one to be so great. Different tastes, I guess.

I don't hate this season at all. I just find it to be the weakest season of The Lucy Show series and of Lucille Ball's TV career (not including Life with Lucy).

In regards to the "Music World" episode, I don't quite understand how people find that one to be so great.

First part of your sentence I completely disagree with - I think Season 3 is the weakest season and Life With Lucy I don't believe was weak at all, there are lots of stand out episodes and considering there were only a handful that's pretty good!

I COMPLETELY agree with the last part of your sentence, how people could find that episode great is beyond me. I don't want to see random people dancing around to horrible music for 10 minutes. The whole episode seemed like a complete waste of time to me. I'd rather watch Lucy, Return Of Iron Woman! LOL!

I COMPLETELY agree with the last part of your sentence, how people could find that episode great is beyond me. I don't want to see random people dancing around to horrible music for 10 minutes. The whole episode seemed like a complete waste of time to me. I'd rather watch Lucy, The Superwoman! LOL!

Yeah, the episode really wasn't focused on Lucy except for the last scene when she does that boring musical number with Mel Tinker. The rest was just blah. Needless to say, this should have been a Lucy special and not an episode of The Lucy Show. Did you notice that Gale Gordon wasn't even in this one? Can't say I blame him.

Archived