Bill's cameo on TLS

The first time I saw the cameo of Bill as a horse trainer in Season 4 I felt sad because he was so frail & had aged so much. When he says his lines, though, his delivery is loud & strong (except for the appropriately soft ,"Okay"). It was as if he came alive again for a few seconds :D:bill1:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJqBVBUI2bs

Lucy's line was funny, of course! :marionstrong:

I wonder who thought of hiring him, & if it might have been Lucy's idea. He must have been thrilled to be on a set & working again, & I'm glad he got that opportunity before he died.

The first time I saw the cameo of Bill as a horse trainer in Season 4 I felt sad because he was so frail & had aged so much. When he says his lines, though, his delivery is loud & strong (except for the appropriately soft ,"Okay"). It was as if he came alive again for a few seconds :D:bill1:

I wonder who thought of hiring him, & if it might have been Lucy's idea. He must have been thrilled to be on a set & working again, & I'm glad he got that opportunity before he died.

It's not like he'd not been working: he'd just been let go as "Bub" on My Three Sons after a five season run. This cameo aired shortly afterward, so he hadn't exactly been MIA on the air! Sadly, though this would be his last appearance...period. A bittersweet, memorable one at that. ;)

It's not like he'd not been working: he'd just been let go as "Bub" on My Three Sons after a five season run. This cameo aired shortly afterward, so he hadn't exactly been MIA on the air! Sadly, though this would be his last appearance...period. A bittersweet, memorable one at that. ;)

Yeah, and i'm sure it was a lovely moment for he and Lucy to actually be together again, even if it was an incredibly short part.

Well, it's obvious Lucy seized the opportunity as Viv was no longer on the show or it would have been pretty awkward for both. And she was a soft touch so he probably asked for the job and she could not say no. That's what he did for the Fred Mertz part.

Yes, he did look much older but in a way he always played old and gruff anyway so as long as he still had that great delivery of his, it was still nice to see. Desi should have done one of these also, i mean he guested on all the other shows he produced.

I agree Claude, I do wish that Desi had come back to do a cameo appearance as well. I guess Lucy maybe didn't want people thinking things as to why she would get Desi back &/or maybe she didn't want to upset Gary. Who knows................

I agree Claude, I do wish that Desi had come back to do a cameo appearance as well. I guess Lucy maybe didn't want people thinking things as to why she would get Desi back &/or maybe she didn't want to upset Gary. Who knows................

Of course it was the g a r y thing, I'm surprised poor Desi was allowed on set for the Sammy Davis H L show years later. As a matter of fact that would have made the Davis ep so much better if Sammy had introduced Lucy to his FRIEND Desi and Lucy could have uttered the famous line I THINK I KNOW HIM FROM SOMEPLACE. LOL!

Desi of course made a contribution on the CBS SALUTES LUCY special so the "gary" thing may have been overruled by Lucy. Bill Frawley looks bad though, reminds me of Bela Lugosi in "The Black Sleep" a few months before he died - almost like death on legs. One thing that always sticks in my mind about ILL was Bill Frawley's shakes. From the earliest episodes to the end.

Desi of course made a contribution on the CBS SALUTES LUCY special so the "gary" thing may have been overruled by Lucy. Bill Frawley looks bad though, reminds me of Bela Lugosi in "The Black Sleep" a few months before he died - almost like death on legs. One thing that always sticks in my mind about ILL was Bill Frawley's shakes. From the earliest episodes to the end.

Well yeah, it would have been hard to avoid asking Desi to participate as he had done I Love Lucy with her and changed the entire industry. Yes, and when he jiggled the change in his pockets, he'd play a couple of choruses of Jingle Bells regardles of the time of year it was, LOL!

Maybe Desi could have been the president of the Ricardo Record Company who asks Lucy's bank for a loan to promote Wayne Newton.

Of course it was the g a r y thing, I'm surprised poor Desi was allowed on set for the Sammy Davis H L show years later. As a matter of fact that would have made the Davis ep so much better if Sammy had introduced Lucy to his FRIEND Desi and Lucy could have uttered the famous line I THINK I KNOW HIM FROM SOMEPLACE. LOL!

There is some video footage of Lucy and Desi together with one of their grandchildren in a pool on the Lucy & Desi: A Home Movie dvd. That's pretty cool.

lol, yes, and he had finally been given a on-screen credit (can't say I noticed it in the previous TLS seasons)

All gary jokes aside i've often said that i LIKED him on the show, i would have wanted to see him on as her regular boyfriend and stupidly told her that in my 18 page fan letter to her.

Archived