Lucy Specials Awards/Ratings

While I know about I Love Lucy, The Lucy Show, and Here's Lucy winning awards or at least nominations, did any of Lucy's specials win awards? Also, to complete my list of Lucy ratings does anyone know the ratings to the following specials: Mr. and Mrs., Lucille Ball Comedy Hour, Lucy Gets Lucky and Lucy in Nashville. Here's my list of what I have.

Lucy in London = #1 (tied with three others)

Happy Anniversary and Goodbye = #4 27.9/42% (won timeslot)

Three for Two = #8

What Now Catherine Curtis = #16 22.6/36% (won timeslot)

CBS Salutes Lucy = #2

Lucy Calls the President = #12

Lucy Moves to NBC (2/8/1980) = #52 (her lowest)(out of 68)(Opposite Dukes of Hazzard #2)

Lucy Moves to NBC (10/28/80) = #20 (tied)

All Star Party for Lucille Ball = #8

Stone Pillow (11/5/85) = #9

Stone Pilow (9/5/87) = #38 (won its slot)

Bob Hope’s Love Affair with Lucy = #11

I Love Lucy’s Christmas = #6 (CBS highest for the week)

I Love Lucy: The Very First Show = #1

The "I Love Lucy 50th Anniversary" special at No. 13

Also does anyone know the ratings of We Love Lucy specials and Carol Plus Two?

While I know about I Love Lucy, The Lucy Show, and Here's Lucy winning awards or at least nominations, did any of Lucy's specials win awards? Also, to complete my list of Lucy ratings does anyone know the ratings to the following specials: Mr. and Mrs., Lucille Ball Comedy Hour, Lucy Gets Lucky and Lucy in Nashville. Here's my list of what I have.

Three for Two = #8

CBS Salutes Lucy = #2

Lucy Moves to NBC (2/8/1980) = #52 (her lowest)(out of 68)(Opposite Dukes of Hazzard #2)

Carol Plus Two was #1 the week it aired. To my knowledge, "Lucy in London" came in third after "Bonanza" (then the number one show in the country) and "It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown" (its very first showing). I seem to remember The I Love Lucy 50th Anniversary Special coming in at number 11.

Three for Two = #8

CBS Salutes Lucy = #2

What We Love Lucy specials? Isn't that the name of the cut in two versions of the hour-longs, edited & sold that way for syndication purposes?? huh.gif

What We Love Lucy specials? Isn't that the name of the cut in two versions of the hour-longs, edited & sold that way for syndication purposes?? huh.gif

They initially aired as "specials" with three shows edited into a two hour timeslot. Each special had a different host: Betty White hosted one, as did Ann Jillian (I remember hers was comprised of "Lucy Hunts Uranium," "Lucy Wins a Racehorse," and "Lucy Wants a Career.") Lucie hosted another, which featured Danny Thomas ("Lucy Makes Room for Danny" was one of the episodes). These aired in 1987. I believe the three shows were aired in first run syndication, so I don't know if there are accurate ratings for them.

Carol Plus Two was #1 the week it aired. To my knowledge, "Lucy in London" came in third after "Bonanza" (then the number one show in the country) and "It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown" (its very first showing). I seem to remember The I Love Lucy 50th Anniversary Special coming in at number 11.

What I remember about the lousy 50th anniversary special was that it got rerun at least twice and had great ratings every time it was on. Didn't it have like 20 million people tune in on it's first airing? They said it got great ratings as people used it as comfort food after the Sept/11 attacks.

• 7 months later...

Hard to believe NBC would rerun that awful program (IMO Lucy's worst tv gig) but quite surprised the first one got such a bad rating given her fame. I'm guessing this rerun because wasn't late 1980 the time of the big actor's strike and there was basically nothing on TV but reruns for quite a while?

What was up with the NBC deal anyway? You would think after nabbing her from CBS they would have tried to package some tv movies at least for her.

Hard to believe NBC would rerun that awful program (IMO Lucy's worst tv gig) but quite surprised the first one got such a bad rating given her fame. I'm guessing this rerun because wasn't late 1980 the time of the big actor's strike and there was basically nothing on TV but reruns for quite a while?

What was up with the NBC deal anyway? You would think after nabbing her from CBS they would have tried to package some tv movies at least for her.

They thought she would make them some great comedy shows for other people, produce, direct something like that. Instead they got that terrible special on NBC with that awful pilot at the end of it. I agree, worst of her specials because all it had were stars from NBC doing walk ons and bits and her doing nothing.

This is great. Overall a very impressive post-series ratings track record.

I've never known the "NBC" ratings, but VERY interesting that it rose to #20 for its 2nd showing. Does anyone know what night that was (and the competition)? I was grateful they ran it again because I missed the first showing and thought that was my only chance given that the other specials were never rerun. Was it run twice before it was run again during the actor's strike?

"Stone Pillow" ratings are even more exceptional when you consider it ran opposite an installment of the mini-series of the year "North and South" which won the timeslot.

"Carol plus Two" was number ONE for the week? Did not know that.

I thought "50th Anniversery" special ratings were top 10. Does anyone know the ratings of each showing? And there were three?

Claude thinks it's "lousy"? Well I think it's swell. Although a bit too much Lucie interjected. Not that she's not talented, but it smacks a bit of diverting the spotlight to herself, particularly in the musical performance she and Desi do. Can't she wait until 2018 and do "The Kim Carter 50th Anniversary Special"?

And yes, I TOO want to know the ratings for her other specials. LBComedyHour was rerun in 1967 in lieu of a 2nd Lucy special she promised CBS. Were the reviews of "London" so bad she lost interest in another original production?

Three for Two = #8

CBS Salutes Lucy = #2

This is great. Overall a very impressive post-series ratings track record.

I've never known the "NBC" ratings, but VERY interesting that it rose to #20 for its 2nd showing. Does anyone know what night that was (and the competition)? I was grateful they ran it again because I missed the first showing and thought that was my only chance given that the other specials were never rerun. Was it run twice before it was run again during the actor's strike?

"Stone Pillow" ratings are even more exceptional when you consider it ran opposite an installment of the mini-series of the year "North and South" which won the timeslot.

"Carol plus Two" was number ONE for the week? Did not know that.

I thought "50th Anniversery" special ratings were top 10. Does anyone know the ratings of each showing? And there were three?

Claude thinks it's "lousy"? Well I think it's swell. Although a bit too much Lucie interjected. Not that she's not talented, but it smacks a bit of diverting the spotlight to herself, particularly in the musical performance she and Desi do. Can't she wait until 2018 and do "The Kim Carter 50th Anniversary Special"?

And yes, I TOO want to know the ratings for her other specials. LBComedyHour was rerun in 1967 in lieu of a 2nd Lucy special she promised CBS. Were the reviews of "London" so bad she lost interest in another original production?

I know Neil and agree, these ratings are terrific, wonder where Will got them. And yes, the only FLAW in the 50th anniversary special was that Patria number foisted on us, when it should have been just about Lucy and Desi, not Lucie and Desi jr. It was shown once and rerun TWICE also, as it was felt it was comfort food that the audience went to after the horrible events of September 11th, or so some people wrote. And yes, Lucy did not appreciate the poor reception gotten for LIL so she cancelled plans for other cities that were originally envisonned.

Lucy did not appreciate the poor reception gotten for LIL so she cancelled plans for other cities that were originally envisonned.

Maybe, but I'll bet her decision to shelve "Lucy in Toronto" was influenced by that poison pen letter she received from a certain teenage Canadian crank complaining about her droopy eyelids.

They thought she would make them some great comedy shows for other people, produce, direct something like that. Instead they got that terrible special on NBC with that awful pilot at the end of it. I agree, worst of her specials because all it had were stars from NBC doing walk ons and bits and her doing nothing.

I always wondered what the big hoopla was about Lucille Ball moving to NBC. Did she do anything else for NBC? 6 years later she was on ABC with Life With Lucy!

Maybe, but I'll bet her decision to shelve "Lucy in Toronto" was influenced by that poison pen letter she received from a certain teenage Canadian crank complaining about her droopy eyelids.

I just said she should find out why she looked so much better on her won show than on carson's, LOL! And Lucy in Toronto was never envisionned, it was Lucy in Montreal, you know, the Paris of North America, but when Paris turrned them down they took a closer look at US, BUT, again, the reaction from this London one quashed all the others. We were on a high at that time as we were about to host EXPO 67 and after that we got the Olympics.

I know Neil and agree, these ratings are terrific, wonder where Will got them. And yes, the only FLAW in the 50th anniversary special was that Patria number foisted on us, when it should have been just about Lucy and Desi, not Lucie and Desi jr. It was shown once and rerun TWICE also, as it was felt it was comfort food that the audience went to after the horrible events of September 11th, or so some people wrote. And yes, Lucy did not appreciate the poor reception gotten for LIL so she cancelled plans for other cities that were originally envisonned.

I got them from Google News Archive Search which shows the ratings in actual newspapers from that time.

I got them from Google News Archive Search which shows the ratings in actual newspapers from that time.

If you have a library card go to your library's website and log into their database; they may have your local papers available online or Newsbank and this info might be obtained that way. Also weekly VARIETY is on microfilm in many libraries.

I went to google news to see if I could find the ratings for CBS NEWS SPECIAL: LUCILLE BALL which aired the night of her death, apparently it's only on two pay sites (not curious enough for four bucks) but the "preview" of the article suggests it tied for 24th place for the week, not bad considering it was thrown together in less than a day and had no advance publicity.

It also appears LUCY COMES TO NASHVILLE was rerun in August 1982, four years after the initial airing, possiby syndicated or on PBS given it seems to have aired on different days in different cities.

I think you're mistaken but the CBS News Special about Lucy's death (which aired on April 26, 1989) was the number one show of the week.

Actually, I think you are thinking of the I Love Lucy First Show premiere last is listed in the first post. I found the week of Lucy's death on Newsbank and it did indeed tie for 24th place:

Here are the prime-time television ratings for April 24-30. Top 20 listings include the week's ranking, rating for the week, and total homes. A rating measures the percentage of the nation's 90.4 million TV homes.

1. "Roseanne," ABC, 22.3 rating, 20.2 million homes.

2. "The Cosby Show," NBC, 21.2, 19.2 million

3. "Cheers," NBC, 20.8, 18.8 million

4. "A Different World," NBC, 20.0, 18.1 million

5. "Murder, She Wrote," CBS, 19.6, 17.7 million

6. "Golden Girls," NBC, 18.7, 16.9 million

7. "L.A. Law," NBC, 18.1, 16.4 million

7. "Wonder Years" ABC, 18.1, 16.4 million homes.

7. "Dear John," NBC, 18.1, 16.4 million homes.

10. "Empty Nest," NBC, 17.7, 16.0 million homes.

11. "Bionic Showdown" -- "NBC Sunday Night Movie," 17.6, 15.9

12. "Who's the Boss?", ABC, 17.3, 15.6

13. "In the Heat of the Night," NBC, 17.2, 15.5

14. "Have Faith," ABC, 17.1, 15.4

15. "60 Minutes," CBS, 16.8, 15.2

16. "Unsolved Mysteries," NBC, 16.5, 14.9

17. "Designing Women," CBS, 16.3, 14.7

18. "Hunter," NBC, 16.0, 14.5

19. "Knots Landing," CBS, 15.9, 14.4

20. "Matlock," NBC, 15.8, 14.3

21. "Full House," ABC, 15.4.

21. "Growing Pains," ABC, 15.4.

23. "Newhart," CBS, 15.3.

24. "CBS News Special: Lucille Ball ," CBS, 15.2.

24. "Jake and The Fatman," CBS, 15.2.

24. "My Name is Bill W." -- "ABC Sunday Night Movie," 15.2.

27. "20-20," ABC, 15.1.

28. "Head of the Class," ABC, 15.0.

29. "Night Court," NBC, 14.2.

30. "Murphy Brown," CBS, 14.1.

Can you believe all the crap shows that outrated this pop culture landmark news event??? Still as I noted, 24th out of 84 shows is a pretty good rating for something that was thrown together in half a day.

Also found this on Newsbank in a Dallas Morning News television column:

CBS wins in ratings with Lucy tribute

Wednesday's prime-time tribute to Lucille Ball on CBS was a hit in the Nielsen ratings, winning its 9-to-10 p.m. time period against NBC's Nightingales and ABC 's China Beach.

The Lucy special, hosted by Dan Rather, had a 15.2 national Nielsen rating and drew 26 percent of TV watchers. CBS' regularly scheduled Wednesday program at 9 p.m., Wiseguy, averaged only a 12.5 rating, 22 share in the just-concluded regular season. China Beach (12.2 rating, 21 share) and Nightingales (11.6/20) were no match for Lucy.

In the Dallas-Fort Worth viewing area, the Lucy special had a 17.1 rating, 27 share, edging China Beach (16.0/25) and thumping Nightingales (8.0/13).

Nightline 's tribute to Lucy also did well locally, winning its time period with an 11.5 rating, 28 share. "

Actually, I think you are thinking of the I Love Lucy First Show premiere last is listed in the first post. I found the week of Lucy's death on Newsbank and it did indeed tie for 24th place:

Here are the prime-time television ratings for April 24-30. Top 20 listings include the week's ranking, rating for the week, and total homes. A rating measures the percentage of the nation's 90.4 million TV homes.

1. "Roseanne," ABC, 22.3 rating, 20.2 million homes.

2. "The Cosby Show," NBC, 21.2, 19.2 million

3. "Cheers," NBC, 20.8, 18.8 million

4. "A Different World," NBC, 20.0, 18.1 million

5. "Murder, She Wrote," CBS, 19.6, 17.7 million

6. "Golden Girls," NBC, 18.7, 16.9 million

7. "L.A. Law," NBC, 18.1, 16.4 million

7. "Wonder Years" ABC, 18.1, 16.4 million homes.

7. "Dear John," NBC, 18.1, 16.4 million homes.

10. "Empty Nest," NBC, 17.7, 16.0 million homes.

11. "Bionic Showdown" -- "NBC Sunday Night Movie," 17.6, 15.9

12. "Who's the Boss?", ABC, 17.3, 15.6

13. "In the Heat of the Night," NBC, 17.2, 15.5

14. "Have Faith," ABC, 17.1, 15.4

15. "60 Minutes," CBS, 16.8, 15.2

16. "Unsolved Mysteries," NBC, 16.5, 14.9

17. "Designing Women," CBS, 16.3, 14.7

18. "Hunter," NBC, 16.0, 14.5

19. "Knots Landing," CBS, 15.9, 14.4

20. "Matlock," NBC, 15.8, 14.3

21. "Full House," ABC, 15.4.

21. "Growing Pains," ABC, 15.4.

23. "Newhart," CBS, 15.3.

24. "CBS News Special: Lucille Ball ," CBS, 15.2.

24. "Jake and The Fatman," CBS, 15.2.

24. "My Name is Bill W." -- "ABC Sunday Night Movie," 15.2.

27. "20-20," ABC, 15.1.

28. "Head of the Class," ABC, 15.0.

29. "Night Court," NBC, 14.2.

30. "Murphy Brown," CBS, 14.1.

Can you believe all the crap shows that outrated this pop culture landmark news event??? Still as I noted, 24th out of 84 shows is a pretty good rating for something that was thrown together in half a day.

I thought the exact same thing. BUT, would YOU want to watch a CBS news special at ten that is anchored by Dan Rather and features a news division report on her death?

Also found this on Newsbank in a Dallas Morning News television column:

CBS wins in ratings with Lucy tribute

Wednesday's prime-time tribute to Lucille Ball on CBS was a hit in the Nielsen ratings, winning its 9-to-10 p.m. time period against NBC's Nightingales and ABC 's China Beach.

The Lucy special, hosted by Dan Rather, had a 15.2 national Nielsen rating and drew 26 percent of TV watchers. CBS' regularly scheduled Wednesday program at 9 p.m., Wiseguy, averaged only a 12.5 rating, 22 share in the just-concluded regular season. China Beach (12.2 rating, 21 share) and Nightingales (11.6/20) were no match for Lucy.

In the Dallas-Fort Worth viewing area, the Lucy special had a 17.1 rating, 27 share, edging China Beach (16.0/25) and thumping Nightingales (8.0/13).

Nightline 's tribute to Lucy also did well locally, winning its time period with an 11.5 rating, 28 share. "

Nightline featured jerry lewis talking about Lucy, that's enough reason right there NOT to tune in. She was also the lead story on all three networks that night and the top story on all the morning shows that morning as well as the WHOLE SHOW for Entertainment Tonight which was the best of all.

• 7 years later...