What episodes are you watching on "Here's Lucy"?

Lucy Makes A Few Extra Dollars :lucyhmm:

• A few laugh-out-loud moments spoiled by a weak ending (and the pop cans)

Someone's On The Ski-Lift With Dinah :lucythrill:

• Everyone is on fine form here and Dinah is a great guest star

Lucy & Her All-Nun Band :lucywow:

• I would have ditched the Freddie Martin scene in favour of a new scene of Lucy working out the act with La Wickes and the Remnants. They seemed like a fun group of gals.

Won't You Calm Down Dan Dailey? :lucythrill:

• Such an underrated episode. Hilarious.

Lucy and the Celebrities :lucyhehe:

• Good showcase for Rich Little, but little else (:D) going for it aside from Jack Benny and his revitalized hair

Ginger Rogers Comes To Tea :lucythrill:

• another great, hilarious episode
  • Spike needed a spin-off

Lucy Helps David Frost Go Night-Night :lucywow:

• another very funny installment and Lucy is particularly perfect in the final scene. The finger snapping makes me LOL every time

Lucy in the Jungle :lucyshock: !!!!

• I'm not sure what they were thinking
  • Every single performance in this episode needs to be dialed back several notches

<p>

Lucy Helps David Frost Go Night-Night :lucywow:

• another very funny installment and Lucy is particularly perfect in the final scene. The finger snapping makes me LOL every time

Every time I watch this episode I am more and more impressed by Lucy in it. She is particularly brilliant in this episode. I love all her bits in the opening scene when she is sitting right behind Frost.

I have been watching season 1 and.. it's better than I remembered!  I am enjoying most all of them very much.  I guess I jumped the gun with this series, it can be an enjoyable ride.  Especially if you can suspend belief.  I watched the GARBONA episode today and I crack up when she is shot with that DART.  I know it's silly stuff.. but she runs in slow motion and swings in slow motion and I like how her legs raise up after she falls in slow motion.  THAT'S pretty good in front of a live audience! 

I like the dress she wears in the office when she sings "Some day he'll come along, the man I love".. She looks very chic in that dress and she looks very youthful and vital in that particular scene.

Did you notice that the carpet in the Carter household is brown?  I thought it was green in later seasons... I also noticed.. and I can't remember right now which episode, but I noticed the camera pulled back and (the viewer) I saw the studio floor and where the carpet began.. they sure didn't lay much down for the floor if the studio floor can be seen from such a short distance back... It didn't ruin it for me seeing that but it was interesting that shot was allowed to air that way.

Also, in the Caesar Romero one, doesn't the opening scene seem to  cut her head off?? I mean her hair is higher than the picture.  I don't know if that was intentional or not because after the opening office scene.. things seem to be filmed perfectly.  She looks very good in that blue cap and orange wrap while she is cleaning.  I think she looks very young when she is supposed to look sloppy!  Also that dress she wars to the Lewellen Affair is very nice.. that bit where she is wiping her hand off with a towel and realizes it's another lady's scarf is GREAT!

The Fun Farm one is enjoyable till we see the unhappy family.. kinda goes down the hill after that.  The musical numbers are okay but not my kind of music.  I mean the novelty song is fun (for a limited audience..not me).  I didn't even like that novelty song when I saw it in a MGM movie with Judy Garland and Gene Kelly.  I like the ya'll come song, and his last song.  Still you have to give 'em credit to throw this stuff together in a week and trying to appeal to a broad age demographic group.,  At the time I bet Here's Lucy was a pretty well received show.  This season one is not a terrible season.  I wish some themes wouldn't have been dropped as the show progressed.  I wish they'd develop some a bit more. 

I like when Vivian comes to visit.  "Don't tell me your number xxxxxx.....   Don't tell me you're MY DATE!!!"

Only had time to watch one episode last night.

Lucy & the Candid Camera :lucywow:

• Certainly not the best written episode, but I love it
  • The fur salon scene is hilarious
  • The musical bank robbery is probably my all-time favourite HL musical number
  • The only thing keeping this episode from being a :lucythrill: were the copious "Irving" jokes and Allan Funt's playing to the balcony
  • I wonder if there is a missing scene which sheds light on the running "pizza" gag in this episode. That will always be a mystery to me
  • Also: bonus points for a couple of great, inimitable Vanda lines in the final scene
  • Like 1

Lucy's Lucky Day :lucyblah:

• As far as primate-related plots go on this series, this is probably the least offensive
  • Pity the chimp didn't actually do anything
  • Lucy screaming louder after Harry took off his gorilla head, however, is a true LOL moment

Lucy's Bonus Bounces :lucycoy:

• I like the individual scenes in this one, but the whole doesn't come together too well
  • otherwise, a very entertaining episode

Lucy & The Little Old Lady :lucyhaha:

• Helen Hayes seems game for anything
  • Given the reverence Lucy and Gale both had for the guest star while working with Hayes, it's a shame this didn't translate into a better script
  • Would it have killed the costume department to find a brunette wig for Lucy playing Josephine?
  • It hadn't dawned on me until tonight that the guy playing Hayes' nephew was the same guy who thought Rose Nylund was a genius during their Moonlight Madness party

Lucy & The Chinese Curse :lucywow:

• Compared to Lucy, the Laundress, this is Gone With The Wind
  • thoroughly enjoyed this on a new viewing
  • I forgot Vanda had lines in this episode
  • This has to feature Mary Jane's craziest hairdo since Stolen Stole

• Lucy, The Coed :lucywow:

It's not the most polished of musical episodes, but this the first of the musicals where, in my opinion, you can really see Lucie's future as a musical theatre star truly begin to emerge. Plus: extra points for Marilyn Maxwell knowing how to make one hell of an entrance.

• Lucy, The Part-Time Wife :lucywow:

I'm not sure why I disliked the episode the last time or two I watched it, but it was delightful this go-round, made especially fun by what a good time Lucy and Gale seem to be having in this outing. It's a shame Gertie wasn't played by a more significant guest-star, however. Martha Raye would have been perfect here.

I've been watching some Cozi episodes.  The endings are so abrupt!

"Part Time Wife"--I can imagine how the fur would have flown if Stritch and Ball had locked horns.

The actress playing Gertie does a good enough job, but I would have like Reta Shaw.

"Coed"----any time TLS or HL parodied the twenties, the musical numbers were always so over-emoted and STERILE.  Marilyn Maxwell is supposed to have gone to college with Harry?  That would make her character at least 15 years older than the actress.  

I wonder if she was originally supposed to do Kim's part in the musical, but.....

a--Lucy had her axed because she used to date Gary.

or b--Marilyn wasn't up to the task.   She died less than 2 years later.

"Gloria" is  practically forgotten as the show progresses,  then wheels out "Crazy Hips" to participate in the finale.

Note that in Lucy's few phrases sung in "Ain't She Sweet?", she's able to hit a high "B".   Her singing deteriorated badly between this and the Mame pre-record session.

"20-20 Vision"---URGH! This one may replace "Lucy's Bonus Bounces" as my least favorite HL.  Everything is wrong with it.  It makes no sense!   If Harry doesn't need glasses, how would getting him to the eye doctor improve his mood enough for Lucy to ask for two days off?  The script is bad and it's badly performed.  Lucy yells her lines in this one more than other episodes.

"Rudy Vallee"---This one has grown on me, perhaps for the wrong reasons.  BUT it's actually a pretty good premise and pretty funny!---one of those 'not as bad as I remember' episodes. This may have been amusing to those over 60 when it aired, but nobody younger would get the jokes when they're references to his career and songs. For instance, his "Hi Ho Everybody" greeting from radio; and  "Who's Bing Crosby?" references the rivalry as the baton of the most popular male singer was passed from Rudy to Bing (reluctantly!) in the early 30s..  Save his comeback supporting role in "How to Succeed" (and 1957's LDCH of course), Rudy hadn't been a major performer for almost 40 years.      But the musical number: OY!  Some people can pull off lipping to a pre-recorded track (Lucy), but Rudy is the WORST.  He also ranks among the worst cue-card readling guests along with Van Johnson (1968) and Sid Caesar.   How many people, even in 1970 were still familiar with the Whiffenpoof Song??  And couldn't they have devised a better fitting Hungry-Hippy-worthy wig for Rudy?  I'm assuming his conceit was part of his persona, but if you don't know his persona, it just comes off as conceit.   Though she doesn't do her own singing, Lucy moves like a young woman in the HH performance  (noted by Warners, along with her "Coed" high "B" perhaps??).  And for pure camp, you have to appreciate the "updated" lyrics  "We are hep little cats who have GROOVED our way".....Like Harry/Jimmy wrote in his book,  there's not a hippy to be found in the HH audience, hungry or otherwise.

Watching these 3rd season episodes, it's hard to believe this was HL's highest rated season and was indeed the highest rated comedy on tV!

I love how Rudy weaseled his way into a double salary for his episode. It is pretty interesting how later on Lucy's worst seasons were the best rated (TLS seasons 5/6).

I don't know the Rudy, the Weasler story.  For twice the money, he should have at least memorized his lines.   One line stuck out: "If I wait 40 or 50 years, my style will come back".   Well it's now 45 years!!  and there aren't any artists doing a  "Whiffenpoof" cover out there yet.

I don't know the Rudy, the Weasler story. For twice the money, he should have at least memorized his lines. One line stuck out: "If I wait 40 or 50 years, my style will come back". Well it's now 45 years!! and there aren't any artists doing a "Whiffenpoof" cover out there yet.

I think he was also credited as a consultant or something. Similar to Gary's credit in Not So Popular Mechanics. I'm sure HarryCarter knows the whole story.

After Rudy was hired, he demanded $10,000 for his work instead of $5,000. LBP told him that $5,000 was top guest star salary. Rudy wouldn't budge and they couldn't think of anyone suitable to replace him. They decided to pay him an additional $5,000 as a "1920s period consultant."

UGHH!! It makes me sick! I wouldn't give him 500 for his appearance. He should have been grateful. What a piece of work!

After Rudy was hired, he demanded $10,000 for his work instead of $5,000. LBP told him that $5,000 was top guest star salary. Rudy wouldn't budge and they couldn't think of anyone suitable to replace him. They decided to pay him an additional $5,000 as a "1920s period consultant."

UGHH!! It makes me sick! I wouldn't give him 500 for his appearance. He should have been grateful. What a piece of work!

I would have given another $500 to Lawrence Welk as "dialogue coach".

And Tommy Tucker obviously had his work cut out for him in this episode.

Did Gary get a "consultant" credit on "Not So Popular Mechanics"?