What episodes are you watching on "Here's Lucy"?

I can't think of any other explanation for Season 4 of The Lucy Show either.

IMO Season 4 may be the worst roundup of guest actors EVER:

Mel Torme, Milton Berle, Mickey Rooney, Joan Blondell, and Bob Crane (not a bad actor, persay, just a very creepy episode knowing his sex stuff)

Luckily the season was salvaged with the use of Ann Sothern, Dean Martin, Doris Singleton, MJ Croft, and of course, Bill Frawley.

Cozi showings of HL:

"House Guest Harry"----WHEN did Harry become a health food nut?  (like L carmichael's Aunt Agatha). Harry blanching at $60 a night for a hotel is much more understandable when you adjust for inflation because that amount is now $369.  And where does Kim lead the goat, to that closet that pops up every once in a while?

"Unemployment Follies"----I thought the gym musical was the most off-the-wall excuse for a show, but this one beats it.  Lucy invites "the gang" at the unemployment office over to her house for rehearsals.  Evidently everyone knows how to get there.   But the most ridiculous line in the whole thing:  Richard Deacon "Come on 'gang', let's go out an raise some money" as they all head out the door without question.   Just how are the going to raise this money?  Cozi's abrupt editing of musical shows usually cuts the endings off.  Jack Benny's two walk-ons in this episode are excised.

Lucy Lucie and Carol at the beginning of the 'show' wandering around commenting on movie costumes plays more like a usual HL banter rather than them as actors on the stage.

I didn't realize Desi Jr. was absent from so many of these 3rd season shows.

All of the Carol episodes bug me because they're such a waste of the Lucy-Carol combination, except for the first one "Lucy Gets a Roommate" from 1966--------the #1 ranked episode in the Nielsens for that week  (source: our own Harry Carter).   At least she appears as the same character is "follies", her Carol "Krausmeyer" from "Secretary Beautiful".   I think she was two different Carols in The Lucy Show "roommate" and "Stewardess School" or was she Carol Bradford in both?

Cozi had a HL mini-marathon yesterday and I DVR'd a few.  All were from early in the 1st season.

I'd forgotten how much YELLING there is on the show.  When Gale was introduced as Mr. Mooney, I remember an occasional outburst but by the time of HL, almost every line of his is delivered at full volume.  Obviously he's doing what he's told, but it leaves no room for the subtlety he's so good at.

I don't know in which order they were actually shown but the first three according to Cozi episode #'s were "Mod Mod" "Jack Benny" and "Process Server", all three pretty solid, the last helped tremendously by the great year-younger-than-Lucy Reta Shaw; and that guy who plays the floorwalker is always good.  Were there still "floorwalkers" in 1968?   How many times did Lucy and Harry search through mounds of trash on HL?  

But save "Working Daughter", the show goes downhill pretty fast.

In "Conclusion Jumper", Don Chriton has to be the oldest teen in television.   I couldn't locate his DOB but he was in 1955's "The Girl Rush" and was probably not a juvenile then.  So he was at the very least 30 in 1968.  I've never thought the Laurel&Hardy "reciprocal destruction" was a funny bit outside L&H.  The addition of L&H music doesn't make it any funnier. 

Other than this episode, I've never heard of "sweeping compound" and have no idea what it is used for.

Nor do I know what "muck-lucks" are.  Never heard the term other than "Process Server". 

When viewing these HL's, one has to remember that there was NOTHING on TV at the same time that was actually funny and well-written.  HL's first season coincided with the last/second of MIL, the only other show attempting this type of comedy.  Mothers In Law had a good one here and there, mainly thanks to the energy provided by Kaye Ballard.   Other 1968 "comedies": Doris Day, My 3 Sons, Petticoat Junction, Flying Nun, the no longer charming or funny Marion Lorne-less "Bewitched", Mayberry RFD, Julia, none of which were truly "funny".  It wasn't until the 70s that sitcoms rebounded with All in Family and Mary Tyler Moore. 

It still amazes me that HL was able to hold its own against TVs runaway #1 hit Laugh In.  Has there ever been another show competing against the #1 show on TV that also made the top ten?   Not to my knowledge.  Evidently nobody tuned into ABC.

• Like 1

Other than this episode, I've never heard of "sweeping compound" and have no idea what it is used for.

Nor do I know what "muck-lucks" are.  Never heard the term other than "Process Server". 

Sweeping compound is a sawdust-like powder sprinkled on wet spills to make them easier to clean up. Mukluks are Inuit footwear, so I assume in American this translates to moccasins?

Lucy's Replacement :lucywow:

• Brilliant, underrated wonderfully choreographed episode

Kim Moves Out :lucythrill:

• One of the best of the entire series
  • everyone has their own shining moments
  • wonderful physical comedy, great music

Lucy Sublets the Office :lucyhmm:

• Enjoyable light episode, but no particular highlights for me
  • another solid appearance for Wally Cox, but probably the weakest of his plots

Lucy's Punctured Romance :lucythrill:

• Outstanding episode
  • Hilarious from start to finish
  • Cummings is always welcome in any Lucy episode
  • Great lines for Harry, Kim and Mary Jane!

With Viv as a Friend, Who Needs an Enemy? :lucywow:

• I was never crazy about this episode after the first few viewings, but I quite enjoyed it this time around
  • This is probably the best Viv has looked post-ILL and she gives such a relaxed, lived-in performance here
  • I'm still not crazy about the final scene, but Viv knocks it out of the park

Kim Finally Cuts You-Know-Who's Apron Strings :lucyhmm:

• Not a great episode by any stretch of the imagination but not bad for a backdoor pilot
  • Particularly enjoy the supporting performances from Alan Oppenheimer and Susan Tolsky (I love her two HL appearances and am not ashamed to admit it), but there could have been a little bit more work defining Kim as a standalone character
  • Never noticed until this viewing there was a consultant credit for women's self defense (I wonder if that gave automotive consultant Morton Goldaper some ideas)
  • Like 1

Onto my all-time favourite post-ILL season!

Lucy's Big Break :lucythrill:

• Miss Ball shows she has more talent sitting on her ass with her leg in a sling than all other actresses do in their entire, mobile bodies
  • There are so many individual great moments here, from the escalating drama of the "big break" with each telling, to every interaction with La Wickes
  • Mary and Allan Oppenheimer provide wonderful support in this episode, and Lloyd Bridges is a possible love interest they should have used more once Lucy was back on her feet

Lucy & Eva Gabor are Hospital Roomies :lucythrill:

• see point #1 above
  • Love Lucy's chemistry with Eva Gabor on both outings, but it is outstanding here
  • Great moments as well for Gale, Mary Jane and Vanda -- and "Valter"

Harrison Carter: Male Nurse :lucythrill:

• one of my all-time faves
  • one of the all-time best showcases for Lucy and Gale
  • Love the little snapshot we get of Harry's relationship with Mary Jane, which becomes so much more fun in these later seasons

A Home Is Not An Office :lucywow:

• The triumphant return of Susan Tolsky! :D
  • Some great physical moments in this episode
  • Wish we could have seen more of The Canary Club in the last two seasons

Lucy & Joe Namath :lucywow:

• Great to see Desi back on the series and Broadway Joe worked well with Lucy
  • A light episode, but a decent change of pace
  • Maybe, in hindsight, it would have been better to ask Namath to return for The Big Game rather than who ultimately guest-starred in that otherwise wondaful installment

Another money reference that has more resonance when adjusted for inflation.

Harry is getting almost $3500 a week for Eva Von Gronnitz (Gabor) to stay at Lucy's house ($500 in 1968).  But even the $50/week Lucy gets is $350!

This one loses me at the end.  What person in their right mind would stack paint cans over their front door and intentionally ruin their own carpet and walls??  Plain water would have been bad enough.

Ski Lift with Dinah---is remarkable for several reasons.  It was far and away my favorite episode up to that point.  First off, I believe it was the very first time Lucy and Harry had a conversation that didn't lead up to "Lucille is late, stupid, incompetent" or "Harry is cheap".  I'm referring to their childhood memories of the snow.

The set decorator really outdid himself with this one (as did the costumer) The ski lodge lobby and Lucy's room are all elaborately decorated with authentic detail.  Money was obviously spent!  Also the ski lift backgound: as believable as is possible considering that it's in color (you could get away with a lot more in black-and-white) and it's done before an audience.

The special effects are great.  Lucy's run down the flight of stairs is obviously speed controlled somehow, but there are no tracks as she goes out the door.   This may be the single funniest sight-gag in any Here's Lucy, helped by the fact that it's realistic (at least on the HL scale) and motivated.  The roll-over the bed on-skis is Lucy's best physical bit in the series and harkens back to the stilts.  I'm sure Madelyn tried this out before hand as she had done in the past.

And the script is funny.  The references to the melted 78s, for instance.  Little touches that make a script come alive. 

The only Cozi edit I noticed was some dialogue at the beginning and excluding Dinah's orchestrated song "Don't Let the Good Life Pass You By" on the ski lift.

I STILL think Lucie blew her line saying "Will you sing it for us now?" instead of "WHY DON'T you sing it for us now?" which would make Dinah's "Because (sung)......I have to get going"  make more sense. 

The frequently used bit of Lucy turning and slapping Dinah with her skis is executed flawlessly.  

The episode proved that Lucy, with a good script, could still shine like the old days.   SOOO often, the scripts let her down. 

It would be just under 3 months after this originally aired that Lucy would have her real-life skiing accident.  In this episode, Lucy could still sing in an upper register (though she was not trying to do it well) as she duets with Dinah, giving more credence to the after effects of the skiing accident being the root cause of the damage to her "Mame" voice  (pain meds?)

I notice Cozi is running the HL tribute all over the place (my guide entitles it "Lucille Ball" with the "3 of 2" description of the plot)  including in the middle of the night with the lead-in show being "Lose That Turkey Neck!".  Is this the infomercial for the "Irma Kusely" lift?

I love this episode with Dinah for all the reasons you listed and a few more. The ski sweater Lucy wears is really pretty and she looks adorable in winter clothing. Dinah is looking very chic too complete with carrying her own Louis Vuitton bag at check-in.

The flipping over the bed scene is one of my favorite bits of Lucy physical comedy ever and I wonder why it never makes the highlight reels. That is hard and she does it 4 times perfect. I would love to know how long that took in rehearsal to get that effortless.

Many times on this series Lucy can get rather pushy with clebs but her and Dinah on the ski lift is just pure fun. Lucy is so light and fun, almost little girl like. They are just a joy to watch and I think Lucille was having a blast on the ski lift section and it comes across onscreen.

Jack Benny in Palm Springs

Not much plot but a lot of laughs.  For all his failings in the Lucy Shows, Milt could write a good "Jack Benny" episode. Cozi cut the bit about Harry's room being over Rachel Welch's sun deck which made all the subsequent jokes not make as much sense.  Lucy's violin miming was amazing: finger and bowing right to the meter of the music.   Kim's line: "He plays like Lawrence Welk" an ad-lib?  Doesn't make any sense to me. Lucie and Desi are much better than I remember them being.  Certainly as good as any other teenagers on TV.

I'm assuming in "Conclusion Jumper", there was some cut dialogue involving "buggy whips" because when Lucy hung up on the guy trying to sell some (Pre-Craigslist, I guess you called an employment agency), Harry blew a gasket.  How time flies department: Lucy "Buggy whips went out about 40 years ago!" and this show is now 47 years old.