What episodes are you watching on "Here's Lucy"?

Jack Benny in Palm Springs

Not much plot but a lot of laughs. For all his failings in the Lucy Shows, Milt could write a good "Jack Benny" episode. Cozi cut the bit about Harry's room being over Rachel Welch's sun deck which made all the subsequent jokes not make as much sense. Lucy's violin miming was amazing: finger and bowing right to the meter of the music. Kim's line: "He plays like Lawrence Welk" an ad-lib? Doesn't make any sense to me. Lucie and Desi are much better than I remember them being. Certainly as good as any other teenagers on TV.

I'm assuming in "Conclusion Jumper", there was some cut dialogue involving "buggy whips" because when Lucy hung up on the guy trying to sell some (Pre-Craigslist, I guess you called an employment agency), Harry blew a gasket. How time flies department: Lucy "Buggy whips went out about 40 years ago!" and this show is now 47 years old.

Was Gleason's cameo cut from "Palm Springs"?

Cozi has skipped from season 1 to season 4.

"Lucy and the Celebrities" is actually a pretty good episode, one of those "better than I remember".   At the very least it gave Lucy a chance to do characterizations, which rarely happened to good effect on Here's Lucy, reviving her old lady from "Soap Opera" (and that CBS promo thing she did with Gale).  I don't now if this is similar to her old lady in "Countess/Real Estate Agent".  Her Barbara Morrison-like haughty matron recalls what she did in "Ricky Wants a Raise" (don't remember if this character had a name).   Too bad the script wasn't better: "I don't think you ever had a mother": not a funny line.

It was a good way to showcase Rich Little's talents but ........peeper poppers??  It's like they canvassed a bunch of third-graders to come up with a funny sounding malady.  Made worse by the annoyingly executed bit of spraying Harry with (what else?) water.   Couldn't they have come up with another way to get Harry blindfolded?  He could have developed a case of the Carolyn Appleby/Vivian Jones one-week nearsightedness. 

and

"Ginger Rogers Comes to Tea"--Bob and Madelyn's shows had much less Lucy-Harry yelling, a pleasant change.  This one is marred only by Ginger's blatant cue-card reading and Lucy's too obvious spilling of the cookies on Ginger, a bit that she might have perfected had they had their usual 4 days.  Considering this one was done in one day (TV Guide) or two days (Harry Carter, a much more reliable source), we can forgive these shortcomings.

Speaking of cue cards, I don't recall ever catching Gale looking at them.  And Lucy is far less reliant on them than I remember. 

Other than Steve Allen and Phil Silvers, few people on TV wore glasses unless it was part of their character (especially if they needed to do a transformation into good looking).  But what of those performers who, like me are near-sighted and can't tolerate contacts?

...I'd forgotten how much YELLING there is on the show. .. Cozi episode #'s were "Mod Mod" "Jack Benny" and "Process Server", all three pretty solid, the last helped tremendously by the great year-younger-than-Lucy Reta Shaw; and that guy who plays the floorwalker is always good.  

It's so frustrating sometimes to hear his screaming and see her cowering. I wonder what his blood pressure was like during those episodes like "The Fixer" or something horrible like that?

IMO- Process Server is THEE BEST HL episode, hands down. It has that clever writing where the premise is clear, the comedic bits are understandable, and in the last scene, it ends where it started, in the living room, but with all situations taken care of  (the window, the letter, the stamp, and the MOCKLOCKS as Lucy called em. lol)  and with a happy ending to boot- but I think they leave this type of writing for episodes like "The Fixer"...dear God.

Im also watching the Hawaii trip episodes- I LOVE that song "Ukulele Talk" It's so soulful and yet SO CUTE :) I love hearing the two girls singing together, and I love hearing Lucys range in this song. I also love seeing the two perform- from here- I see the delicacy in Lucys performance thats perfect for TV, and I see Lucie's energy, which is perfect for the theatre-I kind of get a "Judy and Liza" feel whenever I see it lol 

The Case of the Reckless Wheelchair Driver :lucyhaha:

• Probably my least favourite of the broken leg plots, but an enjoyable outing
  • Jim Bates doesn't have a subtle bone in his body here, but that adds somewhat to the charm
  • The interaction with Lucy, Harry and Kim with the cops at the police station is fantatic
  • "Now, Lucille, I'm going to ask you a question that could only apply to you. Do you have any film in the camera? :mellow: "

Lucy, the Other Woman :lucyhaha:

• another light but enjoyable outing, buoyed by outstanding supporting performances from Totie Fields and Herbie Faye
  • It would have been nice to see Herbie pop up more often as the the cottage cheese casanova

Lucy and Petula Clark :lucywow:

• Love this episode
  • Love Petula Clark
  • Love Doris Singleton
  • Love Tiny
  • The final number overall, however, seems under-rehearsed and poorly executed (such as Lucy hooking the cord for the guitar onto her cast)
  • The "Tiny" line seems like a rare ad lib from Lucy as it truly seems to catch Gloria Wood off guard

Lucy & Jim Bailey :lucythrill:

• A classic thanks to all concerned -- including Phyllis Diller
  • The Diller routine is a smash, as is "Fever"
  • Mary Jane has some great moments
  • It's always a nice change of pace when Lucy and Harry are both on the same side of a switcheroo
  • The banter between Lucy and Harry in Bailey's dressing room is hilarious
  • :gale1: ... JIM?!

Dirty Gertie :lucywow:

• Academically, it is a wonderful episode and a great "Lucy" performance, but there's something about this episode which never fully grabs me

Lucy & Donny Osmond :lucywow:

• fun episode with a great performance from Lucie
  • Too bad Lucy is barely more than a casual observer in this episode as her exit from the hotel in Act One is a scream
  • Eve Plumb was always my favourite Brady. Appearing in this episode is just gravy in my book

Lucy & Her Prince Charming :lucythrill:

• Love this one
  • Everyone is on top form, but this is an especially great showcase for Gale
  • Ricardo Montalban was a great guest star and love interest
  • it would have been nice for this to have been a two-parter with more of Lucy and Phil's courtship, etc
  • Hell, it would have been fun to revisit this plot near the end of the next season and have the series finale feature Lucy being whisked off to be the Princess of Montalbania
  • "He's a MARGARINE SALESMAN?! :lucyshock: "

My Fair Buzzi :lucywow:

• Many might disagree, but this episode makes me laugh out loud every single time
  • Ruth Buzzi's Annie Whipple is hysterical and makes an unforgettable impression
  • Line of the episode: "Her face looks like an unbaked pie."

Lucy & The Group Encounter :lucyhaha:

• The episodes where Lucy and Harry have to switch perspectives are always fun
  • Harry and Mary Jane interaction = gold
  • The fact Sid and Vanda literally frolic  when told to go frolic in the woods kills me
  • "Clint Eastwood!"

Lucy & Her Prince Charming :lucythrill:

• "He's a MARGARINE SALESMAN?! :lucyshock: "

Like "Please Mother I'd rather do it myself" and (after slap in the face) "Thanks. I needed that", reference to margarine salesman is a nod to ubiquitous commercials of the time.  The fact that they get a laugh of recognition from the studio audience seems strange to someone who did not live through these TV commercials.   Pre-mute button and of course pre-VHS or DVR, we were FORCED to sit through them so the general public was very aware of them.  This commercial, done in many different versions over the years, was one of the more witless ones.  It had someone taking a bite of bread with the sponsor's margarine.  The trumpets went "ta ta ta DA" and a crown appeared on their head......with the voice over "Margarine so good. It's fit for a KING" a bit of an oversell for a butter substitute that was essentially colored salted LARD. 

The ad copy writers rightly thought that repetition of the same scenario and tag line over and over again would result in product familiarity.  Sometimes it bordered on creepy, such as grocery store manager Mr. Whipple (Hal Peary) who was always getting caught  (and admonished for) "squeezing the Charmin" toilet paper or "bathroom tissue" as it was called.   BTW in commercials for toilet cleaners, "toilet" was referred to as "bathroom bowl". 

"Lucy Helps David Frost Go Night-Night"----This one works more than it doesn't.  As with most BobMadelyn scripts, at least it gives Lucy some Lucy-schtick to do.  There's a fine line between innocent and clueless obnoxiousness.  The former works. The latter doesn't.  Sometimes it's all in the direction and execution.  Lucy sending sleeping David into orbit every time a stewardess comes by with something doesn't work, nor does her clanging out Hey Look Me Over on her wine glasses.  (The in-flight music was the "Wildcat" album?)  David Frost was part of the That Was The Week That Was comedy skit team but he's uncomfortable with this type of comedy; and his stilted style does not blend well, especially him falling asleep at the end.  He should have been exhibiting sleepiness all along.  In the original script, the backstagehands are looking for Lucy and have to roust her out of a deep sleep and push her onstage.  There was also a segment where David is talking to the audience about future guests and Lucy falls asleep and slumps down off the chair.  

Given a guest star to work with, Bob and Madelyn tried to come up with something related to their careers.  In Frost's case, he really was doing a New York and London talk show simultaneously. 

One only has to compare this one to the next one "Jungle" to appreciate Bob and Madelyn's efforts.  "Jungle" is a compete waste of time.  Lucy is trying her best and committed to the material but the script is ridiculous.  If Harry is indeed "bitten by an ordinary house fly" and not a tsetse, why is he so sleepy??

Kim Moves Out was on today.  It's "Lucy and the Starlets Cry Wolf" but it's such a stellar episode .......right up until Kim's "I Got Love".  Lucie does it fine.  It's just that the comedy is clipping along at such a riotous (and perfectly believable) rate that it stops the show in its tracks.  Yes, I know they had to have some filler to waste time teaching Lucy a lessons but I wish they had filled it with more comedy.   I thought THIS was the episode where Kim calls Uncle Harry and apologizes for waking him up.  Harry: "You can't help it, dear. It's in the blood."  I much prefer this relationship between Lucy and Harry, where he cares enough about her to invite her to play golf.  Harry's frantic entry in his pajamas: perfect.  Everyone is in top form.

I can't fault Cozi editing too much but they left out the hilarious shot of Lucy's ladder appearing in Kim's window.

Lucy Is Really in a Pickle :lucywow:

• Not much to say about this one, except Lucy, Gale and Lucie are all in fine form with a great script, great physical bits, that come together in a very memorable whole

Lucy Goes on her Last Blind Date :lucywow:

• This one had the potential to become an all-time classic, but is let down by its absurd ending
  • Up until that point, however, it was a laugh a minute and Don Knotts was knocking it out of the park
  • His greeting card poems are so quotable, as is his monologue on the Bens, Freds, Johns and Georges

Lucy & Her Genuine Twimby :lucythrill:

• another wonderful Bob Cummings installment, although his gasp-sputter-laugh shtick gets very old very fast here
  • William Lantau is a great addition to this outing as well
  • I think I've mentioned this elsewhere in this thread, but I'm pretty sure the scene in the antique store between Bob and William as the longest scene in HL thus far not featuring any of our four principal actors (including Desi IV) and i wonder if the writers had something grander in mind with this set up down the road, with a mini-backdoor pilot

Lucy Goes to Prison :lucywow:

• I'm a sucker for anything involving Elsa Lanchester, so this gets two thumbs up for me
  • the fact it is a pretty solid script doesn't hurt. The premise might be a bit outlandish but they make it work
  • The triumphant return of Jody Gilbert! :HALKING:

Lucy & The Professor :lucyhehe:

• A very light outing, but entertaining enough
  • Lucie and John Davidson worked well together
  • Best part of the episode for me is right at the end when Lucy spies Harry dancing with his date from the pancake restaurant. Lucy's reaction is brilliant, solidified by the fact she goes the extra mile to ensure the audience can lip read exactly what she's saying
  • A little moment, but a great one

The pickle commercial rehearsal scene is probably the most blatant self-rip-off of an ILL scene.  Nothing can compare with Lucy's Vita turn, certainly among her best ILL work, but without comparing "Pickle" to that, her pickle-grimace is a pretty fantastic bit.   

Agree about the last scene in "Davidson/Professor".  It's  hilarious (although the episode is not) and one of the few HL bits that actually made me LOL when I first viewed it. 

"With Viv as Friend...." was on Cozi yesterday. A wonderful episode by HL standards marred by the improbably out-there last scene (though not as "out-there" as the end of "Blind Date").  Viv always brings so much to a HL episode.  Shame that this one was her last.  Lucy throws herself into any comedy scene and gives it her all and certainly does in this one.  At 60, she's still amazingly agile. 

In the Life (Look?) magazine article from the fall of 1971 "Lucy: the Star that Never Sets", Lucy is analyzing an episode that didn't go as well as it should saying something like "too many props.  It was over-rehearsed".  I wonder if she was talking about "Wally Cox/Toy Tycoon"not aired until Jan. 1972-2.  The latter seasons of HL were filmed way in advance.   I was in the audience for "Blind Date" and "Franchise Fiasco"  in September 1972 and they didn't run until January and February.  Lucy's entrance down the slide, on to the skateboard and right to the phone is a wonderfully executed physical stunt: the sort of thing Lucy makes look easy, but can you imagine anyone else pulling this off?  Watch Lucy pull down her skirt to cover her upper legs, as she glides to the phone. 

Brock: "...Bob Cummings...gasp-sputter-laugh shtick".

A perfect description of Bob's stock-in-trade.

• Not much to say about this one, except Lucy, Gale and Lucie are all in fine form with a great script, great physical bits, that come together in a very memorable whole

• Best part of the episode for me is right at the end when Lucy spies Harry dancing with his date from the pancake restaurant. Lucy's reaction is brilliant, solidified by the fact she goes the extra mile to ensure the audience can lip read exactly what she's saying

Lucy Goes on her Last Blind Date :lucywow:

• This one had the potential to become an all-time classic, but is let down by its absurd ending
  • Up until that point, however, it was a laugh a minute and Don Knotts was knocking it out of the park
  • His greeting card poems are so quotable, as is his monologue on the Bens, Freds, Johns and Georges

Lucy & Her Genuine Twimby :lucythrill:

• another wonderful Bob Cummings installment, although his gasp-sputter-laugh shtick gets very old very fast here
  • William Lantau is a great addition to this outing as well
  • I think I've mentioned this elsewhere in this thread, but I'm pretty sure the scene in the antique store between Bob and William as the longest scene in HL thus far not featuring any of our four principal actors (including Desi IV) and i wonder if the writers had something grander in mind with this set up down the road, with a mini-backdoor pilot

Lucy Goes to Prison :lucywow:

• I'm a sucker for anything involving Elsa Lanchester, so this gets two thumbs up for me
  • the fact it is a pretty solid script doesn't hurt. The premise might be a bit outlandish but they make it work
  • The triumphant return of Jody Gilbert! :HALKING:

• A very light outing, but entertaining enough
  • Lucie and John Davidson worked well together

"Pickle" is perhaps one of my Top 5 HL eps which of course makes sense given it's a later-run ep penned by Bob & Madelyn.  Their return to the Lucy fold was certainly a boost to this often erratic series, IMHO.

Given you're referencing the "pair" of Bob & William (ahem) and how this could have been a "mini" (!) backdoor pilot I'll leave the obvious gay reference joke alone since this is a "family" board! :blink:

Never cared much for Davidson (whatever happened to him BTW?? After years of high visibility if not popularity he seems to have faded into oblivion!) but I do love the end scene too with L giving G what for! :)

Knotts was one of the more entertaining widow Carter "dates" but if this is the one with L turning into a werewolf at the end, I'm with you! Kinda surprised she didn't put the kabosh on that one....sounds like Seaman & Jacobs to me, perhaps my least fave pairing of writers.

Bob Cummings never did much for me one way or the other. After his two WUNDAFUL appearances on TLS, I would have loved to have seen hunky Clint Walker return as a love interest for Mrs. Carter!

The pickle commercial rehearsal scene is probably the most blatant self-rip-off of an ILL scene.  Nothing can compare with Lucy's Vita turn, certainly among her best ILL work, but without comparing "Pickle" to that, her pickle-grimace is a pretty fantastic bit.   

Agree about the last scene in "Davidson/Professor".  It's  hilarious (although the episode is not) and one of the few HL bits that actually made me LOL when I first viewed it. 

"With Viv as Friend...." was on Cozi yesterday. A wonderful episode by HL standards marred by the improbably out-there last scene (though not as "out-there" as the end of "Blind Date").  Viv always brings so much to a HL episode.  Shame that this one was her last.  Lucy throws herself into any comedy scene and gives it her all and certainly does in this one.  At 60, she's still amazingly agile. 

In the Life (Look?) magazine article from the fall of 1971 "Lucy: the Star that Never Sets", Lucy is analyzing an episode that didn't go as well as it should saying something like "too many props.  It was over-rehearsed".  I wonder if she was talking about "Wally Cox/Toy Tycoon"not aired until Jan. 1972-2.  The latter seasons of HL were filmed way in advance.   I was in the audience for "Blind Date" and "Franchise Fiasco"  in September 1972 and they didn't run until January and February.  Lucy's entrance down the slide, on to the skateboard and right to the phone is a wonderfully executed physical stunt: the sort of thing Lucy makes look easy, but can you imagine anyone else pulling this off?  Watch Lucy pull down her skirt to cover her upper legs, as she glides to the phone. 

Brock: "...Bob Cummings...gasp-sputter-laugh shtick".

A perfect description of Bob's stock-in-trade.

Well...at least B&M were stealing from themselves!  Ironic though that at this point it's obvious she's depending on cue cards, which makes it a little harder to as impressed with this great performance compared to the "original" version 20-some years earlier.

It was always a treat to have Viv show up and I'm just sad it didn't happen more often, through to the end of the series.  Oh, what might have been! :HALKING:

All of Lucy Carmichael's California suitors were between 15 and 20 years younger than Ms. Carmichael.  In 1966, Clint Walker falling for her was believable (borderline, though) for Lucy still had that youthful glow about her.   Two seasons later Dick Shawn falling for her seemed like a bit of a stretch.  By the time of HL, she seemed decidedly "middle-aged", not that she looked bad just older, so for that reason, I say Nertz to Clint as a HL suitor.

I don't remember much about the 2nd Bob Cummings episode, the "Twimby" one, other than at least it had a bit of plot.  Too many episodes had virtually no plot at all.  Wally Cox/Toy Tycoon is an example.  He and Lucy play around with the toys and that's really about it. 

I just saw "Lucy's Replacement" with RG Brown, probably the most effeminate man to ever grace our TV screens.   I love her hair in "Replacement", one of the very few times she went back to a facsimile of the Lucy Ricardo-bun.  (Jim Bailey and Steve/Eydie are the others that come to mind).  I looked up the thumbnail newspaper preview and it states "the writers really did their homework.  There are now computers that will do everything (depicted in episode)".  Nowadays, people's phones are much more powerful than that giant Exmo computer.   Phil Vandervort's scenes were cut from the Cozi airing of "Replacement". 

By the way, Joey who is the guy at the bottom of your posts and (I hesitate to ask) what is he being spritzed with?

Bob never did it for me on the LDCH episode but I loved him on his 2 HL appearances.   I know he's doing the shame shtick in both series but somehow for me it just came off as much more charming in the HL episodes.  I just think he just paired with the Widow Carter better.  He really seemed to give her a nice femininity.  

By the way, Joey who is the guy at the bottom of your posts and (I hesitate to ask) what is he being spritzed with?

Oh like hell you do Neil! :blink:

The inimitable and charming Colton Haynes, dahling.  And the "spritz" (ahem) looks like glitter to me! :HALKING:

Colton Lee Haynes is an American actor and model. He is best known for his role as Jackson Whittemore in MTV's supernatural drama series Teen Wolf (MTV) and as Roy Harper/Arsenal in the superhero television series Arrow (the CW).
  1. Born: July 13, 1988 (age 27), Wichita, KS
  2. Height: 5' 9"
  3. Full name: Colton Lee Haynes

Here's Colton showing off his...talent(s):  You're welcome!! :vanda:

coltonfull.jpeg?resize=740%2C661

Exactly the age I like my teenagers: 27.

Re: the "back-door" pilot theory about "Genuine Twimby" scenes between Bob Cummings and Spike/William Lanteau (whatever his character's name is).  I watched the episode and now see the double meeting of this exchange:

Bob: There's been a tremendous boner in my favor.

Spike (excitedly) A boner in your favor??!!!!

"Twimby" is a pretty good episode, not hilarious by any means but enjoyable, if instantly forgettable, and much gentler comedy that most HLs, especially considering the script is by the writers that rank IMO #3  of the 3 teams than penned the last 2 seasons: Fox&Jacobs.

Whoever came up with the LOL-like text laugh: BWAAAHHH!  must have had Bob Cummings in mind because that's exactly the sound he makes. 

Oh like hell you do Neil! :blink:

The inimitable and charming Colton Haynes, dahling.  And the "spritz" (ahem) looks like glitter to me! :HALKING:

Colton Lee Haynes is an American actor and model. He is best known for his role as Jackson Whittemore in MTV's supernatural drama series Teen Wolf (MTV) and as Roy Harper/Arsenal in the superhero television series Arrow (the CW).
  1. Born: July 13, 1988 (age 27), Wichita, KS
  2. Height: 5' 9"
  3. Full name: Colton Lee Haynes

Here's Colton showing off his...talent(s):  You're welcome!! :vanda:

• Like 1

"Lucy and Professor"---This is one of those HLs that is MUCH better than I remember.  If you take out the musical numbers, this is a pretty tight and funny script by Bob O'Brien.  He sometimes has the Lucy character cross the line between well-meaning obnoxious to just plain cluelessly obnoxious.  Her ripping up John's speech steps over that line. But she's got some pretty funny bits, though she's more cue-card reliant in this one than in many.  The musical numbers are fine for what they are, but pre-recorded vocals take a lot of spark out of the execution and these are not that dynamic to begin with.   This goofy dean (Irwin Charone, naturally) who holds the purse-strings to the music department is won over by one half-chorus of John's "I Believe in Music"?  If this failed, why not enlist the services of Carol Burnett again?  If one Carol show can fund a whole gym, just think what it would do for a small college's music program!  Like Lucy, Kim suffers from the "Carter curse": one week they're in love and the next week, the boyfriend disappears never to be mentioned again.  Bob Cummings of "Twimby" might have had a recurring role as Lucy's sometime boyfriend.  It's not like Cummings's career had a whole lot else going on.

As mentioned by Brock, Harry dancing and Lucy pantomiming her disgust is a truly hilarious way to end the show.

Personally, I'm finding there are a lot of those episodes as I continue this quest to watch every episode in order without skipping.

What I usually find is that there were 1 scene or two that ruined an otherwise enjoyable episode.   For instance, what I remembered about Lucy's Punctured Romance was the manufactured mayhem ending, complete with phonograph blaring out "stars and Stripes Forever" (like someone would have that on a record?), pictures falling off the wall, cuckoo clock going haywire, Mary Jane in a chicken outfit and firemen breaking the front door window instead of knocking or just opening the door.  This all seems like the Milt Josefsburg touch.  1972 was his last year at the HL helm.  The only thing missing was an  electronic explosion and showers of sparks.  Could Milt have a touch of pyromania??

Up to that point, a pretty good episode despite the fact that in 1972 deliveries from a  milkman was an anachronism.  Though not acknowledged in the episode, he plays Bob Collins the same character as in his hit sitcom.

Interesting insight into the career high and fall of Bob Cummings, I'm going to post under the Co-Stars forum