Lucy's Aussie Fan

What episodes are you watching on "Here's Lucy"?

Freddie2    736

Other Woman and NG as RN.

Something I notice about post-broken leg episodes are that they frequently have Lucy filling the role of the “reactor”. The Lucy character is probably at her all-time least wacky. There are many times where she seems to be the only sane person in the building. Ain’t THAT a change of pace! 

Luvsbway    1,835

Won't You Calm Down Dan Dailey. So hard to make any sense of what goes on in this episode because I don't even know how to watch this with a different mind set. When she sits on his lap and says, "I've seen this in the comic strips" I want to yell back, or sexual harrasment lawsuits. 

Also wasn't Betty Grable divorced from Harry by this time? Why is his name brought up?

Neil    1,244
12 hours ago, Freddie2 said:

Other Woman and NG as RN.

Something I notice about post-broken leg episodes are that they frequently have Lucy filling the role of the “reactor”. The Lucy character is probably at her all-time least wacky. There are many times where she seems to be the only sane person in the building. Ain’t THAT a change of pace! 

A poll of HL viewers several years ago (to commemorate the first Here's Lucy 24 episode "best of" DVD release ) "NG as RN" was voted the best episode of the series and I agree.  It shouldn't have been--in that there should have been many more episodes like this charming and funny half-hour.  "Did anyone else have the beef hash?" has to be the funniest line ever uttered in all 144 episodes!  BTW, FEW of the top 24 episodes as voted for in the poll made it the "best of" DVD set.  Whoever picked these episodes was using a different yardstick than quality. 

• Like 1

Freddie2    736

Late Night Music-Heavy Marathon:

Lucy and The Andrews Sisters

Patty Andrews seemed to have a really good sense of humor and you get the feeling that she’s enjoying herself. Apparently the studio audience reaction to this episode was so big that it had to be edited down. “Elroy Sherwood” is hilarious! I wish they’d used him again. For all the songs included in the medley, I could have named like five more that would have fit in. The Andrews Sisters had A LOT of hits.

Won’t You Calm Down, Dan Dailey?

Talk about sexual harrasment! Harry and Dan Dailey make a good team. Gale in drag feels like it came from the writers sitting around saying “What haven’t we done to him yet?”. The little musical interludes are cute and I wish there’d been more. Characters breaking into fully-orchestrated, choreographed song and dance numbers on a multi-camera sitcom is something that you could never get away with today.

Lucy and Phil Harris Strike Up The Band

Going right from season four to this, one of the final entries of the series, I was kind of surprised by how much Gale had aged. I always assumed he was in pretty good shape for most of his life, but at least between ‘72 and ‘74, he certainly let himself go gray and put on a couple pounds. I really love Phil Harris. Next to Jack, he’s probably my favorite of Jack Benny’s stable of performers. I think he threw in some ad-libs. During the performance, his mouth is clearly not saying what the ADR is saying. Quote from my dad about that performance: “They just made up for twenty years of having no minority characters with that one song!”. Art getting criticized for not being all-inclusive is an annoyance we still have today, but this feels very out of touch. I love it.

Lucy Gives Eddie Albert The Old Song and Dance

I believe this is the first episode of Here’s Lucy I saw. You can only imagine how seven-year-old-me flipped my lid when I unexpectedly saw MJC, Jerry Hausner and Doris Singleton in living, garish 70s color! I find it very hard to believe that there’s another tall, kooky redhead running around Hollywood after celebrities. Speaking of running, Doris’s Dingaling Dash has to be in my top ten moments from the entire series. It’s just so perfect.

• Like 2

Brock    3,218

I'm curious  as to how Eddie Albert was your very first Here's Lucy experience. Was this on PAX? What did seven-year-old you make of it?

Freddie2    736
14 hours ago, Brock said:

I'm curious  as to how Eddie Albert was your very first Here's Lucy experience. Was this on PAX? What did seven-year-old you make of it?

How’s this for being young: I saw it on YouTube! A few season six episodes were up way back when, including Cops and Robbers, which I vividly remember being drawn away from on a summer night to go outside and catch lightning bugs with other small people such as myself. To be honest, I probably appreciate different quirky qualities of Here’s Lucy more today than I did when I was less discerning about entertainment (still discerning, mind you, just less so; I at least had enough sense to watch Lucy). At the time, the biggest distinction between this and ILL was that HL was in color. I probably didn’t really know who Gale Gordon was. 

I don’t think season six was on DVD at all at that time, so it’s entirely possible the episodes I saw were recorded off of PAX. I would watch them on my family’s desktop computer- the only one in the house! Oy, How times have changed!

Luvsbway    1,835

Over on Tumblr there is a great page detailing many Here's Lucy episodes. For the episode Milton Berle is the Life of the Party the guests are listed. There is a couple Helen and Bob Maruer. Apparently they were named after Lucy's inlaws. So I know Helen was Gary's mom's name but the last name is throwing me off as shouldn't it be Goldaper? Maybe I'm missing a bit of family history here. Did Gary's parents get divorced and Bob is his stepdad?

HarryCarter    900
1 hour ago, Luvsbway said:

Over on Tumblr there is a great page detailing many Here's Lucy episodes. For the episode Milton Berle is the Life of the Party the guests are listed. There is a couple Helen and Bob Maruer. Apparently they were named after Lucy's inlaws. So I know Helen was Gary's mom's name but the last name is throwing me off as shouldn't it be Goldaper? Maybe I'm missing a bit of family history here. Did Gary's parents get divorced and Bob is his stepdad?

Helen and Bob Mauer were Gary's sister and brother-in-law. They were also mentioned in Lucy the Good Skate. 

Luvsbway    1,835
27 minutes ago, HarryCarter said:

Helen and Bob Mauer were Gary's sister and brother-in-law. They were also mentioned in Lucy the Good Skate. 

Thanks. What was Gary's mom's name? All I can remember was Helen as far as his family goes.

HarryCarter    900
27 minutes ago, Luvsbway said:

Thanks. What was Gary's mom's name? All I can remember was Helen as far as his family goes.

Gary's mother was Rose Goldaper. 

• Like 1

HarryCarter    900

I've always wondered how Lucy Carter was friends with the Maurers, a couple around Kim's age. They weren't neighbors because they were stuck in freeway traffic before Lucy's party. 

RodMcK1    48

I recently watch "Lucy Runs the Rapids" on Amazon prime.  

Lucy punctures and thereby deflates the inflatable raft, so the Carters camp on the riverbank overnight.  The current pulls Lucy into the river as she's sleeping on an air mattress inside a sleeping bag.  And when the rest of the family goes to save Lucy, the raft is fully inflated again.  There must have been a patch kit off camera.

Neil    1,244
On 2/21/2018 at 10:29 AM, RodMcK1 said:

I recently watch "Lucy Runs the Rapids" on Amazon prime.  

Lucy punctures and thereby deflates the inflatable raft, so the Carters camp on the riverbank overnight.  The current pulls Lucy into the river as she's sleeping on an air mattress inside a sleeping bag.  And when the rest of the family goes to save Lucy, the raft is fully inflated again.  There must have been a patch kit off camera.

"Runs the Rapids" is probably the best of the location shows, but that's not saying much.   All of them are short on plot and truly funny comedy.  I don't know where they found this writer Gene Thompson, or why they chose him.  His only HL contributions were these location shows.  The clip I always found remarkable was part of the DVD bonus footage: Lucy the trouper, swimming around the frigid river waiting for the shot set-up, saying "It's SOOO cold" and I'm sure it was.   All four of them, including 63 year old Gale Gordon leapt into the frigid water.  These location shows held so much promise and were such a disappointment.   But at least they were TRYING for something different. 

Here's an interesting poll question: what is your favorite "season premiere" episode of TLS or HL.  Despite the high profile 1970 "Burtons" episode, my favorite is probably the HL 5th season "Lucy's Big Break", though "Lucy Waits up for Chris" and "Lucy as Cleopatra" are not far behind. 

Freddie2    736
18 hours ago, Neil said:

Here's an interesting poll question: what is your favorite "season premiere" episode of TLS or HL.  Despite the high profile 1970 "Burtons" episode, my favorite is probably the HL 5th season "Lucy's Big Break", though "Lucy Waits up for Chris" and "Lucy as Cleopatra" are not far behind. 

I really like all of the TLS premieres- save for maybe Marineland. Lucy Meets The Berles is certainly one of the most laugh-out-loud funny episodes of the entire series, maybe the entire Lucy Canon. There’s a special kind of energy to that episode. I think Lucy gets entrance applause TWICE. 

The George Burns premiere from the season before also has a lot of energy to it. It’s not necessarily the funniest, but it’s very entertaining. When Lucy and George are doing the act at the end of the show in front of the blue curtain, you feel like you’re in the studio audience.

As far as HL, I really like Lucy and Flip Go Legit. I believe Mannix was actually the first episode filmed for that season, but really all of those episodes from the beginning of season four, when Bob and Madelyn made their return, have a definite spark to them.