Lucy's Aussie Fan

What episodes are you watching on "Here's Lucy"?

Freddie2    703

Other Woman and NG as RN.

Something I notice about post-broken leg episodes are that they frequently have Lucy filling the role of the “reactor”. The Lucy character is probably at her all-time least wacky. There are many times where she seems to be the only sane person in the building. Ain’t THAT a change of pace! 

Luvsbway    1,744

Won't You Calm Down Dan Dailey. So hard to make any sense of what goes on in this episode because I don't even know how to watch this with a different mind set. When she sits on his lap and says, "I've seen this in the comic strips" I want to yell back, or sexual harrasment lawsuits. 

Also wasn't Betty Grable divorced from Harry by this time? Why is his name brought up?

Neil    1,167
12 hours ago, Freddie2 said:

Other Woman and NG as RN.

Something I notice about post-broken leg episodes are that they frequently have Lucy filling the role of the “reactor”. The Lucy character is probably at her all-time least wacky. There are many times where she seems to be the only sane person in the building. Ain’t THAT a change of pace! 

A poll of HL viewers several years ago (to commemorate the first Here's Lucy 24 episode "best of" DVD release ) "NG as RN" was voted the best episode of the series and I agree.  It shouldn't have been--in that there should have been many more episodes like this charming and funny half-hour.  "Did anyone else have the beef hash?" has to be the funniest line ever uttered in all 144 episodes!  BTW, FEW of the top 24 episodes as voted for in the poll made it the "best of" DVD set.  Whoever picked these episodes was using a different yardstick than quality. 

• Like 1

Freddie2    703

Late Night Music-Heavy Marathon:

Lucy and The Andrews Sisters

Patty Andrews seemed to have a really good sense of humor and you get the feeling that she’s enjoying herself. Apparently the studio audience reaction to this episode was so big that it had to be edited down. “Elroy Sherwood” is hilarious! I wish they’d used him again. For all the songs included in the medley, I could have named like five more that would have fit in. The Andrews Sisters had A LOT of hits.

Won’t You Calm Down, Dan Dailey?

Talk about sexual harrasment! Harry and Dan Dailey make a good team. Gale in drag feels like it came from the writers sitting around saying “What haven’t we done to him yet?”. The little musical interludes are cute and I wish there’d been more. Characters breaking into fully-orchestrated, choreographed song and dance numbers on a multi-camera sitcom is something that you could never get away with today.

Lucy and Phil Harris Strike Up The Band

Going right from season four to this, one of the final entries of the series, I was kind of surprised by how much Gale had aged. I always assumed he was in pretty good shape for most of his life, but at least between ‘72 and ‘74, he certainly let himself go gray and put on a couple pounds. I really love Phil Harris. Next to Jack, he’s probably my favorite of Jack Benny’s stable of performers. I think he threw in some ad-libs. During the performance, his mouth is clearly not saying what the ADR is saying. Quote from my dad about that performance: “They just made up for twenty years of having no minority characters with that one song!”. Art getting criticized for not being all-inclusive is an annoyance we still have today, but this feels very out of touch. I love it.

Lucy Gives Eddie Albert The Old Song and Dance

I believe this is the first episode of Here’s Lucy I saw. You can only imagine how seven-year-old-me flipped my lid when I unexpectedly saw MJC, Jerry Hausner and Doris Singleton in living, garish 70s color! I find it very hard to believe that there’s another tall, kooky redhead running around Hollywood after celebrities. Speaking of running, Doris’s Dingaling Dash has to be in my top ten moments from the entire series. It’s just so perfect.