What episodes are you watching on "Here's Lucy"?

On ‎10‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 5:03 PM, LucyImHome said:

I'm binge watching the entire series.  Just finished Lucy Goes To The Air Force Academy, parts 1 & 2.  Love the "on location" episodes.

I've binge watched the series about 20 years ago over a weekend. I didn't watch all of the episodes as at that time I didn't have the entire series on tape but I watched a vast majority of them. It was great fun. I will probably do it again sometime in the future.  

10/17/19 (evening):

“Mod, Mod Lucy” (Episode #1)

“Lucy Visits Jack Benny” (Episode #6)

“Lucy, the Process Server” (Episode #7)

10/18/19 (morning): Here's Lucy Marathon

“Lucy and Miss Shelley Winters” (Episode #9)

“Lucy, the Conclusion Jumper” (Episode #4)

“Lucy’s Impossible Mission” (Episode #8)

“Lucy and Eva Gabor” (Episode #5)

“Lucy’s Birthday” (Episode #2)

“Lucy’s Working Daughter” (Episode #3)

“Lucy and the Gold Rush” (Episode #10)

“Guess Who Owes Lucy $23.50?” (Episode #12)

“Lucy Sells Craig to Wayne Newton” (Episode #13)

“Lucy, the Matchmaker” (Episode #14)

“Lucy, the Fixer” (Episode #15)

10/18/19 (evening): Another Here’s Lucy Marathon

“Lucy Goes on Strike” (Episode #16)

“Lucy and the Ex-Con” (Episode #17)

“A Date For Lucy” (Episode #18)

“Lucy Gets Her Man” (Episode #19)

“Lucy, the Shopping Expert” (Episode #20)

“Lucy’s Safari” (Episode #22)

“Lucy Helps Craig Gets His Driver’s License” (Episode #24)

“Lucy and Harry’s Tonsils” (Episode #29)

“Lucy’s Burglar Alarm” (Episode #30)

“Lucy and the Andrew Sisters” (Episode #32)

10/21/19 (evening)

“Lucy Stops a Marriage” (Episode #59)

10/23/19 (early morning): Here’s Lucy Marathon

“Lucy’s Vacation” (Episode #69)

“Lucy’s House Guest, Harry” (Episode #70)

“Lucy and Carol Burnett: Hollywood Unemployment Follies” (Episode #71)

“Lucy and the Raffle” (Episode #72)

“Lucy’s Punctured Romance” (Episode #95)

“Kim Finally Cuts You-Know-Who’s Apron Strings” (Episode #96)

10/24/19 (Evening)

“Lucy’s Big Break” (Episode #98)

10/25/19 (Afternoon)

“Lucy and Eva Gabor Are Hospital Roomies” (Episode #97)

“Harrison Carter, Male Nurse” (Episode #99)

10/27/19 (Evening)

“A Home Is Not An Office” (Episode #100)

“Lucy and Joe Namath” (Episode #101)

10/28/19 (Morning)

“Lucy, the Other Woman” (#103)

“Lucy and the Case of the Wreckless Wheelchair Driver” (#104)

“Lucy and the Group Encounter” (#105)

“Lucy and Donny Osmond” (#106)

10/28/19 (Evening) Here’s Lucy Marathon

“Dirtie Gertie” (#108)

“Lucy and Jim Bailey” (#110)

“Lucy and Her Prince Charming” (#111)

“My Fair Buzzi” (#114)

“Goodbye, Mrs. Hips” (#107)

“The Not-So-Popular Mechanics” (#109)

“Lucy Is Really In a Pickle” (#112)

“Lucy and Her Genuine Twimby (#113)

“Lucy Goes to Prison” (#115)

(followed by Lucy Show episodes, "Lucy and the Missing Stamp" and "Lucy, the Rain Goddess")

• 5 weeks later...

I watched Lucy Goes on Her Last Blind Date. Although the too silly last minute of the episode prevents me from putting this in my top episode list, I wish there were more episodes like this one.

I agree that the last minute or so (i.e. where Lucy dresses up as a werewolf to "scare" Ben off,) is much too silly. I re-watched this episode yesterday, and I kept thinking that if Desi or Jess Oppenheimer had still been around, this entire gag would have been better-motivated and handled with more humor. Although the Bob and Madelyn episodes of "Here's Lucy" are head and shoulders above the rest, this wasn't one of their better efforts. Then again, Gary and Lucy were in full control at this point, so who knows what was cut from the original script . . .

• 3 months later...

Watched MPI's "Best of" DVD Disc the other night (2/22/20). It contained the following episodes: "Lucy and the Great Airport Chase", "Lucy Meets the Burtons", "Lucy and Mannix Are Held Hostage", "Lucy and Joe Namath", "Lucy Goes on Her Last Blind Date", "Lucy and Joan Do Jury Duty", and "Lucy Is a N.G. as an R.N.".

What great fun! :)

• Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 11:02 AM, teenageluminary said:

I agree that the last minute or so (i.e. where Lucy dresses up as a werewolf to "scare" Ben off,) is much too silly. I re-watched this episode yesterday, and I kept thinking that if Desi or Jess Oppenheimer had still been around, this entire gag would have been better-motivated and handled with more humor. Although the Bob and Madelyn episodes of "Here's Lucy" are head and shoulders above the rest, this wasn't one of their better efforts. Then again, Gary and Lucy were in full control at this point, so who knows what was cut from the original script . . .

I would have to agree. Also, that ending was not believable. Anyone in their right mind could tell it was actually Lucy in a werewolf costume not an actual werewolf. Maybe Ben had too much to drink on their date or just isn't right in the head. 

• Like 1

On 2/24/2020 at 10:08 AM, Harrison said:

Watched MPI's "Best of" DVD Disc the other night (2/22/20). It contained the following episodes: "Lucy and the Great Airport Chase", "Lucy Meets the Burtons", "Lucy and Mannix Are Held Hostage", "Lucy and Joe Namath", "Lucy Goes on Her Last Blind Date", "Lucy and Joan Do Jury Duty", and "Lucy Is a N.G. as an R.N.".

What great fun! :)

Wow, I almost forgot about that set, nice as it was! I've come to prefer George and Garret's MPI DVDs since I like to see the episode introductions by the various cast and guest stars, more often than not Lucie and Desi Jr. but also such faves as Carole Cook, Peggy Rea, Anita Mann, etc. etc. :)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I live in New York City and have been stuck in quarantine due to the Coronavirus, so being able to stream this show for free on Tubi has been a Godsend. 

I just finished "With Viv As A Friend, Who Needs An Enemy." I like this episode because of Vivian Vance, even though I don't think it's one of Bob and Madelyn's better efforts. As with "Lucy Goes On Her Last Blind Date," the final scene - where Lucy pretends to have gotten old overnight - isn't very well motivated, and it doesn't play as well as it should. Nonetheless, it's still head and shoulders above the episodes that Milt Josefsberg and crew were writing at that time. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, teenageluminary said:

I live in New York City and have been stuck in quarantine due to the Coronavirus, so being able to stream this show for free on Tubi has been a Godsend. 

I just finished "With Viv As A Friend, Who Needs An Enemy." I like this episode because of Vivian Vance, even though I don't think it's one of Bob and Madelyn's better efforts. As with "Lucy Goes On Her Last Blind Date," the final scene - where Lucy pretends to have gotten old overnight - isn't very well motivated, and it doesn't play as well as it should. Nonetheless, it's still head and shoulders above the episodes that Milt Josefsberg and crew were writing at that time. 

I love everything about that episode save for the last scene. It's not that I'm against Lucy hamming it up in a costume, but when the rest of the episode has been pretty mature and focused on the relationships between Lucy and Harry and Viv, it's a shame to see it turn to rehashed shenanigans. Come to think of it, if the structure had been reworked, the scene where Lucy and Harry embrace at the restaurant would've made a great closer for the episode.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, teenageluminary said:

I also remember feeling the ending was somewhat half-baked the first time I saw it. Lucy's anxious old lady was amusing, but you're right that the scene doesn't play as well as it should. My favorite part of the episode is the tearful Lucy/Harry reunion at the restaurant. I always enjoy the scenes where they got along instead of constantly fight. Freddie, your idea of making that the final scene would've been brilliant!

And best of luck navigating your way through the quarantine! I think Lucy can help a lot of us through this time.

• Like 1

After an evening of (marginally) hard work and a LOT of beer, I decided to put on "Lucy and The Astronauts", because of the obvious quarantine/isolation themes. I also decided (as I occasionally do) to write down my thoughts on a notepad as I watch the episode. Normally, I'd compile these into a barely cohesive mini-essay and share it on here, but tonight I figure I'll just give highlights from the various bullet points I scribbled down. It feels like a concise way of discussing an episode. 

NOTE: This is an episode I think I've only seen once; when I bought the fourth season DVD at Jamestown in ~2012. All bullet points are in chronological order and are phrased as closely as I can interpret them from my drunken handwriting.

• Where was the stock footage from?
  • TIRED opening- scared Lucy
  • Poor Harry is so lonely he has to stop at Lucy's to show off his uniform
  • Narration/framing device feels like a Paul Henning show
  • Is that Doctor the Doctor (Harry's Doctor?)
  • Lucy is horny for astronauts
  • WHY establishing shot of ship when they walked into a trailer
  • Why DO women spend so much time in the bathroom
  • The doctor is definitely the psychiatrist- Ray Rodgers? Roy Roberts?
  • WILLIE THE GRABBER
  • President is never named- syndication worry? Nobody has ever been so excited about Nixon
  • BOAT OR TRAILER?
  • I have slept in places like this
  • Lucy causing drama- IRVING- who the fuck is Irving?
  • Wood paneling
  • WHO is this for?
  • Now I know why I haven't seen this show in 7 years
  • Only explanation for laughter- asbestos in studio audience
  • I would fire these writers
  • At least they get the World Series in quarantine
  • Why is Harry in orange?
  • Still more watchable than Big Bang Theory, I guess

Hopefully I'm not too inebriated and my little observations are interesting/funny to some:lucy2:Please stay safe during this bonkers situation, folks.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Freddie2 said:

Hopefully I'm not too inebriated and my little observations are interesting/funny to some:lucy2:Please stay safe during this bonkers situation, folks.

These are hilarious and a project we should all embark on. 

Lucy is horney for astronauts is a very good assessment.

I will say I am spending far less bathroom time now that the only people who see me are those at the grocery store. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Freddie2 said:

After an evening of (marginally) hard work and a LOT of beer, I decided to put on "Lucy and The Astronauts", because of the obvious quarantine/isolation themes. I also decided (as I occasionally do) to write down my thoughts on a notepad as I watch the episode. Normally, I'd compile these into a barely cohesive mini-essay and share it on here, but tonight I figure I'll just give highlights from the various bullet points I scribbled down. It feels like a concise way of discussing an episode. 

NOTE: This is an episode I think I've only seen once; when I bought the fourth season DVD at Jamestown in ~2012. All bullet points are in chronological order and are phrased as closely as I can interpret them from my drunken handwriting.

• WILLIE THE GRABBER
  • President is never named- syndication worry? Nobody has ever been so excited about Nixon
  • BOAT OR TRAILER?
  • Wood paneling
  • WHO is this for?

I don't drink much because my teeth/gums are sensitive to alcohol, but I am so giving this a try!

Like you, the only time I saw this episode was when I first got the DVD. My memory is hazy, but I remember laughing out loud more times than I usually do with HL.

• Like 1

On 3/30/2020 at 11:09 PM, Freddie2 said:

• WILLIE THE GRABBER
  • BOAT OR TRAILER?
  • Wood paneling
  • WHO is this for?

All I can say for "Astronauts", that AT LEAST Here's Lucy was trying to be topical.  Quarantining astronauts who returned from the moon was a thing.  So the set-up holds promise.  But then what?  Nothing as I recall.  All I can remember is the group singing "Silvery Moon" a couple of times for no real reason.   I do not remember Lucy being horny for them!  But maybe it was subtext that went over my head.   Women hogging the bathroom was a standard sitcom joke.  Missed opportunity: "his" fellow stuntmen wondering why Ironman Carmichael spent so much time in the bathroom. 

The writers of "Astronauts" were Larry Rhine and Lou Derman who wrote 9 HLs and not a good one in the bunch, all varying degrees of dreadful.....They're responsible for "Lucy in the Jungle" (the house exchange, not the Gorboona), "Mountain Climber" with Tony Randall (and THAT BEAR), but worst of all "Ma Parker".   I don't know if it was Milt's input but HL seemed to think the name Irving was funny.  I'm not sure I have enough beer in the house to sit through "Astronauts" again. 

I have never seen a Big Bang Theory episode.  I thought it was considered good in general. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Neil said:

The writers of "Astronauts" were Larry Rhine and Lou Derman who wrote 9 HLs and not a good one in the bunch, all varying degrees of dreadful.....They're responsible for "Lucy in the Jungle" (the house exchange, not the Gorboona), "Mountain Climber" with Tony Randall (and THAT BEAR), but worst of all "Ma Parker".   

"Lucy, the Part-time Wife" is preposterous but funny.  "Lucy, the Laundress" is culturally insensitive, but funny.  Their best script for Lucy was the "Secretary Beautiful" second-season episode with Carol Burnett.

The Irving jokes actually started back on The Lucy Show. One of Lucy's roommate applicants was Irving, as was one of the co-owners of Mary Jane's mink stole, and Jack Benny's gorilla was played by an Irving. 

I'd forgotten the pattern continued onto Here's Lucy. I suppose if Milt had been involved in Life With Lucy, Gale Gordon would've been playing Irving McGibbon!

• Like 1

On 4/2/2020 at 7:29 AM, RodMcK1 said:

"Lucy, the Part-time Wife" is preposterous but funny.  "Lucy, the Laundress" is culturally insensitive, but funny.  Their best script for Lucy was the "Secretary Beautiful" second-season episode with Carol Burnett.

I haven't watched any of these in a while.  Is "Part-Time Wife", the one where Lucy pretends she's pregnant to scare off Harry's old girlfriend?  That one might have been funnier with an Iris Adrian as Gertie.  I don't know where they came up with the actress that played her.  She wasn't bad.  She just wasn't IRIS.    I liked "Secretary" better than the other Carol Burnett HL episodes.  (problem with other two: Lucy is dubbed which diminishes my enjoyment of musical episodes).  As I recall, "Laundress" has Lucy doing "Asian" at chinese laundry?  With lots of l's substituting for r's---standard sitcom stuff since radio---which they were STILL doing for "Moves to NBC" with "Chu-Chu" saying Ludin instead of Rudin.  (I can only assume for LAUGHS).   Is "Laundress"  the one where Vanda says "I gave you my tick-ee.  Where is my wash-ee?"   Sometimes I can't tell whether the portrayal of a minority is insensitive or not.  I defer to the opinions of those who might be offended.   Since Ricky is Cuban maybe he can get away with it, but isn't his "Lucy Has the Baby" act him doing BLACKFACE??  I didn't see All in Family episode but read somewhere that Family pretty much copied that part of the plot when Gloria had her baby. 

On 4/3/2020 at 3:28 PM, Neil said:

I haven't watched any of these in a while.  Is "Part-Time Wife", the one where Lucy pretends she's pregnant to scare off Harry's old girlfriend?  That one might have been funnier with an Iris Adrian as Gertie.  I don't know where they came up with the actress that played her.  She wasn't bad.  She just wasn't IRIS.    I liked "Secretary" better than the other Carol Burnett HL episodes.  (problem with other two: Lucy is dubbed which diminishes my enjoyment of musical episodes).  As I recall, "Laundress" has Lucy doing "Asian" at chinese laundry?  With lots of l's substituting for r's---standard sitcom stuff since radio---which they were STILL doing for "Moves to NBC" with "Chu-Chu" saying Ludin instead of Rudin.  (I can only assume for LAUGHS).   Is "Laundress"  the one where Vanda says "I gave you my tick-ee.  Where is my wash-ee?"   Sometimes I can't tell whether the portrayal of a minority is insensitive or not.  I defer to the opinions of those who might be offended.   Since Ricky is Cuban maybe he can get away with it, but isn't his "Lucy Has the Baby" act him doing BLACKFACE??  I didn't see All in Family episode but read somewhere that Family pretty much copied that part of the plot when Gloria had her baby. 

I just re-watched "Part-Time Wife" and "Ma Barker" on Amazon.  I stand by my opinion that "Part-Time Wife" is preposterous but funny.  Yes, a stronger actress as "Gertie" would have improved the episode.  As for "Ma Barker," there are a few chuckles in the middle when the "children" visit at the Carter abode.  However, this episode remains a stinker, especially the last act.  Pew.  Lucy going undercover for the police was employed previously ("Lucy, the Gun Moll") and subsequently ("Dirty Gertie") to much better effect.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/6/2020 at 5:04 AM, RodMcK1 said:

I just re-watched "Part-Time Wife" and "Ma Barker" on Amazon.  I stand by my opinion that "Part-Time Wife" is preposterous but funny.  Yes, a stronger actress as "Gertie" would have improved the episode.  As for "Ma Barker," there are a few chuckles in the middle when the "children" visit at the Carter abode.  However, this episode remains a stinker, especially the last act.  Pew.  Lucy going undercover for the police was employed previously ("Lucy, the Gun Moll") and subsequently ("Dirty Gertie") to much better effect.

Nothing really wrong with the "Gertie" actress but it would have been nice to have somebody we recognize.  The aforementioned Iris Adrian. Or Reta Show.  I suppose this was too late for Barbara Pepper.  And I'm always promoting MORE Jody Gilbert!  Speaking of Ms. Pepper: did she ever make an appearance on The Lucy Show?  Poor Barbara.  She had such a promising start in the movies as a saucy ingenue, 4 years younger than Lucy but coming on the scene at the same time.  

But life doesn't always follow the path we think it's going to.  The story goes that she never really recovered from a personal tragedy of the late 40s. Though she made many appearances in TV and high profile movies ("Music Man" "My Fair Lady"), she will be forever known as the mother of Arnold Ziffel on Green Acres.  Later in the run, husband Fred would appear with some excuse for Doris not being there.  Then a new Doris Ziffel showed up in the person of actress Fran Ryan.   Barbara was still alive and got some bit parts post-Green Acres,  but died at the early age of 54 in 1969.   We took these great character actors for granted.  In the pre-internet days (and pre-EVERYTHING), there was no way for us to let them know how much we enjoyed them.   I hope the spirits of  Barbara and the others are up there/out there knowing now how much we loved them...even 50+ years later.  A "Green Acres" without Doris Ziffel could still be fun but it was similar to a "Bewitched" without Alice Pearce. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

5/2/20 (Afternoon):

Season 5: Lucy and Harry's Memories, Lucy Goes On Her Last Blind Date, Lucy and Franchise Fiasco, Lucy and the Professor, Lucy and Uncle Harry's Pot (Episodes 120, 116-119) 

5/2/20 (Later in the Day):

Season 2: Lucy at the Drive-In Movie, Lucy and the Used Car Dealer, Lucy the Cement Worker, Lucy and Johnny Carson, Lucy and the Generation Gap, Lucy and the Bogie Affair, & Lucy Protects Her Job (Episodes 31, 33-37, 40)

5/2/20 (Late Evening):

Season 2: Lucy and Carol Burnett: Secretary Beautiful, Lucy and Wayne Newton, Lucy Takes Over, Lucy and Uncle Harry's Pot, Lucy and the Franchise Fiasco, Lucy Goes To Prison (Episodes: 48, 46, 47, 119, 117, 115)

Followed by an I Love Lucy mini-marathon featuring: Building a Barbecue, The Golf Game, The Tour, and ended up falling asleep with Lucy's Bicycle Trip.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Luvsbway said:

Lucy, All American Mother and I kept saying I could not remember what this episode's plot was. Well it didn't really have one and should have just been called, Fun With Animals. 

I think you mean "Lucy, the Helpful Mother."  "Lucy, the American Mother" is the one in which Lucy is the subject of a documentary Craig is filming.

2 hours ago, RodMcK1 said:

I think you mean "Lucy, the Helpful Mother."  "Lucy, the American Mother" is the one in which Lucy is the subject of a documentary Craig is filming.

Yes. Well that makes a bit more sense with the title then. Or, Let's Just Annoy the American Mother. 

Lucy and chimps though, always adorable. 

• Like 1