What episodes are you watching on "Here's Lucy"?

I have watched all of season five over the past three days:

Sit-down #1:

"Lucy's Big Break"

"Lucy and Eva Gabor Are Hospital Roomies"

"Uncle Harry, Male Nurse"

"A Home Is Not an Office"

"Lucy and Joe Namath"

"Lucy and Petula Clark"

"Lucy, the Other Woman"

Sit-down #2

"Lucy and the Case of the Reckless Wheelchair Driver"

"Lucy and the Group Encounter"

"Lucy and Donny Osmond"

"Goodbye, Mrs. Hips"

"Dirty Girty"

"The Not-So-Popular Mechanics"

"Lucy and Jim Bailey"

Sit-down #3

"Lucy and Her Prince Charming"

"Lucy Is Really In a Pickle"

"Lucy and Her Genuine Twimby"

"My Fair Buzzi"

Sit-down #4

"Lucy Goes to Prison"

Sit-down #5

"Lucy Goes on Her Last Blind Date"

"Lucy and the Franchise Fiasco"

Sit-down #6

"Lucy and the Professor"

"Lucy and Uncle Harry's Pot"

"Lucy and Harry's Memoirs"

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

- Lucy's Burglar Alarm

I always forget how great the first half of Burglar Alarm is -- particularly the first scene with the hold-up guy. Too bad the second half falls completely flat -- despite their best pyrotechnic efforts.

I have scouring HL episodes for clips for a project and saw "Burglar Alarm". They guy who plays the crook is actually quite funny, especially his "Nice place, ya got here....no, REALLY!" before he exits. But...OK I can accept the Craig cut a hole in the floor, put a safe in the bricks, wired it up so the bells on the hearth jangled (were they there before?), AND that he did this without Lucy and Kim noticing...BUT the net and pots and pans that fall on Lucy and Elliot Reid at the end pushed my acceptance over the brink. Wouldn't they have LOOKED UP at some point and noticed this was all hanging from the ceiling??

And the only good thing I can say about "Lucy in the Jungle" is that the set decorator did a great job. This episode has just about everything I hate in a HL: chimps, gorilla (arm), a talking bird, a lion (at least it was a real one). The only thing missing was piranhas. It really seems out of place in this season because it's surrounded by pretty good ones: Ski Lift/Dinah, Dan Dailey, Ginger Rogers.

It's a hard choice, but I think "Gorboona" is better than this one.

I have scouring HL episodes for clips for a project and saw "Burglar Alarm". They guy who plays the crook is actually quite funny, especially his "Nice place, ya got here....no, REALLY!" before he exits.

And to add insult to injury, he says "For this, I had to miss "Laugh-in"" which was still Lucy's direct competition and (if this was season #2, which I think it was), the #1 show on TV. It's really amazing how many Laugh In references there are in Here's Lucy. Weren't the writers watching the show they were writing for??

I'll have to look up the actor's name who played the burglar, but the casting of someone like him is very unusual for Here's Lucy. For the no-name supporting guest players, they usually hired someone merely serviceable (cheap!). This is a part Sid Gould could have played, though I don't remember him having this many lines. OR if the actors were actually able to bring something unique to their part, like this guy did, it's possible that the HL method of doing things stifled anything that ventured beyond the norm. I don't think we've seen a stand-out comedy performance like this since Iris Adrian's Hard Head Hogan!

Too bad this episode descended into that type of comedy Milt Josefsburg liked so much: impossible and loud mechanical bits, something that played much better to the live audience. Not only do these defy logic so much they are unenjoyable, they are not in and of themselves funny. How many times has a shower of sparks burst out of something for no logical reason? Was Milt a closet pyromaniac??

So which ones did you like or dislike?

One I watched recently that is actually very funny...and for some reason I didn't really appreciate it before is "Milton Berle is the Life of the Party".....What a hilarious premise: Lucy winning Milton with a $5 bid that she ups to $7.50. Would have been a bit better had the party guests been actual ACTORS, but I love it when Milton keeps getting interrupted telling his golfing joke with the set-up of 3 celebrities teeing off. During one of the later attempts, Mary Jane interrupts him telling him he got the order wrong "No, Dean Martin teed off first" which starts the party guests arguing over who went first.

One odd thing about this episode: you wouldn't think Harry would spend his Saturday nights socializing with Lucy and Mary Jane, the only time I think this happened.

• 7 months later...

Yes....if only there'd been more Lucie featured eps like this one I think overall the series as a whole would be better remembered.

I disagree. More Lucie was when i switched to Laugh In, LOL! Lucie was so so on the show, she was made for Broadway, and decent writing. Can't get very far with HI MOM.

I disagree. More Lucie was when i switched to Laugh In, LOL! Lucie was so so on the show, she was made for Broadway, and decent writing. Can't get very far with HI MOM.

Then I wasn't clear at all as you reinforce what I was trying to say; ie. that if more of the scripts that featured Lucie were like this one -- the mother/daughter dynamic, etc. -- then more of the HL eps would have been as good as this one. IMHO neither of the kids were used to best effect, at least not for most of the run. Granted they weren't exactly "Liz & Dick" at the outset...but certainly improved year by year. The scripts however, more often than not failed them.

Then I wasn't clear at all as you reinforce what I was trying to say; ie. that if more of the scripts that featured Lucie were like this one -- the mother/daughter dynamic, etc. -- then more of the HL eps would have been as good as this one. IMHO neither of the kids were used to best effect, at least not for most of the run. Granted they weren't exactly "Liz & Dick" at the outset...but certainly improved year by year. The scripts however, more often than not failed them.

You're right, i was just on my IT WAS CALLED HERE'S LUCY, NOT HERE'S LUCIE rant, sorry about that, old habits die hard.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I really like "Lucy Fights the System".. never saw it before I got the dvd and let me say Miss Arnaz is soooooo funny as the rude waitress... ( Honey YOU can EAT in the kitchen )... and ( Don't Pal-pa-date folks! ) I was just screaming with laughter.. (something I rarely do watching Here's Lucy) so... let me say that was a refreshing change of pace and since I have waited tables for YEARS... (yes folks a gay waiter).... I loved it!!! A very good episode and HOW I wish the whole series could have been that funny!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Lucy and Joan Rivers Do Jury Duty = The biggest laugh from the audience is when Harry after explaining to Joan that he read in the newpaper that "someone" is holding up the decision for the trial and he immediately turns and faces Lucy saying calmly why are you holding up the jury?LOL!!!

Typsy Through The Tulips = Lucy bewildered expression while attempting to take dictation while Foster is slurring his words and Foster spraying booze into Harry's mouth and Harry spitting it out with a calm and stoic expression on his face.

Lucy Plays Cops And Robbers = Too many great moments to describe. Dick Sargent got a friendly round of applause for being recognized as the actor who played the second Darrin on "Bewitched".

The HBO "Behind the Candelabra" Tv movie prompted me to pull our "Lucy and Liberace".

Usually these HL episodes are not as bad as I remember them when I rewatch all these years later. This one is just the opposite, which at the time I considered one of the better episodes of the time. It could be that it followed an ep that fit into the crowded category of HL's Nadir. (Speaking of "Lucy the Helpful Mother" written by Milt and Al Schwartz).

"L&Lib" is so phony and presentational, complete with Liberace winks at the audience, that it can only be enjoyed if you let ALL expectation of logic go, including the big one (of MANY) which could only happen in the HL fairyland where celebrities are uber-accessible: Liberace loaning a solid-silver candelabra to a complete stranger!

I counted the same number of clever/funny lines as there were traffic accidents that Lucy Collins had (...that were her fault): NOT ONE! Why she continued to allow Fox and Jacobs write for her is beyond me...

About the movie: it's based on his companion's book, published many years ago so the characterization of him by Matt Damon is mostly sympathetic. I had always thought of Thornson as a bit of a grifter with an out of control drug habit. Indeed, today at 50+ years old, he's behind bars for stolen credit cards. I'm surprised Liberace's estate cooperated, loaning several pieces to them, because it doesn't portray Lee in a very positive light. Liberace is just too easy of a target for potshots, now and has always been. Here he is portrayed as a rug-topped, lecherous old coot, glomming on to lads 40 years his junior (and I don't see ANYTHING wrong with THAT!!!). But what was poor Lee to do? He suffered the fate of many a superstar. They're so isolated from the real world by their more-often-than-not sycophantic "people", normal relationships are out of the question.

By all accounts Liberace was likeable and put on one hell of a show. He played along with the ridicule and eventually began to use it to his advantage--onstage anyway, appearing more outrageous with each tour. Is the fact that he wanted to keep secrets so damning? especially when those secrets could easily destroy him?

• Like 1

Why she continued to allow Fox and Jacobs write for her is beyond me...

About the movie: it's based on his companion's book, published many years ago so the characterization of him by Matt Damon is mostly sympathetic. I had always thought of Thornson as a bit of a grifter with an out of control drug habit. Indeed, today at 50+ years old, he's behind bars for stolen credit cards.

I thought it was interesting that the film ended with text that says "Scott Thorsen currently lives in Reno, Nevada" and left out "...in a prison."

I have really mixed feelings about "Lucy and Liberace." I absolutely love Lucy and Gale's "By the Light of the Silv'ry Moon." It is one of my favorite moments from the entire series. Other than that there isn't a ton to recommend in this episode. It has to be one of the most stagey Lucy episodes ever and Liberace dancing has to be one of the most embarrassing moments of the series. I won't defend this script by Fox and Jacobs, but after Bob and Madelyn returned, F&J seemed to pick up a few things from them and wrote some really fantastic episodes (Lucy's Tenant, Lucy's Punctured Romance, Mary Jane's Boyfriend, among them).

Liberace loaning a solid-silver candelabra to a complete stranger!

Considering how eager he was when the Butler told him a young man was there to see him, Lee probably would have given Craig his candelabra, Caddilac and kidney, had he thought to ask.

• Like 1

Having just seen the Liberace TVM and harking back to this HL ep, I can't begin to fathom how he thought he was fooling anyone -- and more unbelieveably, how he won all those lawsuits that accused him of being gay!! Sonja Henie?? Really???! Come on!!

I watched Liberace doing Oprah via Youtube in December of 1986. He died in Feb. of 1987. He looked odd with all his facial surgery but didn't look like someone who was dying. Oprah brought up the palimony suit and Lib dismissed it as "the sort of thing that happens to a lot of celebrities". Oprah's cringe-worthy pre-break teaser "After this message, we'll find out how Liberace lost his virginity."

To an older woman when he was 16, L says, but as he grew older himself, "I like the young girls now"....which made the audience titter. Oprah let him get away with it.

I thought it was interesting that the film ended with text that says "Scott Thorsen currently lives in Reno, Nevada" and left out "...in a prison."

I have really mixed feelings about "Lucy and Liberace." I absolutely love Lucy and Gale's "By the Light of the Silv'ry Moon." It is one of my favorite moments from the entire series. Other than that there isn't a ton to recommend in this episode. It has to be one of the most stagey Lucy episodes ever and Liberace dancing has to be one of the most embarrassing moments of the series. I won't defend this script by Fox and Jacobs, but after Bob and Madelyn returned, F&J seemed to pick up a few things from them and wrote some really fantastic episodes (Lucy's Tenant, Lucy's Punctured Romance, Mary Jane's Boyfriend, among them).

Agree that Lucy and Gale's "Silvery Moon" (originally done for the Kiawana's Capers??) is a highlight. It was rare that Lucy was doing her own singing on HL by this time. A couple of other things about this episode: Desi sure looks more mature than his 17 years.

To preface the following: Lucie Arnaz blossomed into a talented actress and singer......but her line readings are so GRATING during this period....and she's having definite pitch problems during her chorus of "I'll Be Seeing You".......