Mrs Irma Mooney

Jody Gilbert looks like the woman that Mr. Mooney describes as his wife, Irma.

Very true! When Theodore mentions Irma though I always picture Mary Wickes or Bea Arthur. Both had the imposing stature of Irma Klottendorf, the 7 ft tall shotputter "with the butch haircut". :marionstrong:

Elvia and Kathleen would have fit personality wise but I think they would have been too slight.

I think Dick Shawn in drag in Lucy, The Pool Hustler was the closest we would have gotten. Mr. Mooney clearly had an animal-like attention to him/her.

"And she's so EARTHY!" :hlLOL:

Mary Wickes (great choice, Mark! :D )

or,

the actress who played a potential tenant in the Superman episode of ILL, who kept seeing Lucy in the window & her husband thought she was hallucinating :lol:

I can't remember her name. (Was she also the woman who sold hats in the ILL episode where Lucy has to speak only the truth for 24 hours because of a bet?)

Mary Wickes (great choice, Mark! :D )

or,

the actress who played a potential tenant in the Superman episode of ILL, who kept seeing Lucy in the window & her husband thought she was hallucinating :lol:

I can't remember her name. (Was she also the woman who sold hats in the ILL episode where Lucy has to speak only the truth for 24 hours because of a bet?)

It must be Madge Blake. She played Lucy's relative in "The Long, Long, Trailer". She was also a regular on the television "Batman" series.

Irma liked wrestling too didn't she. Reta Shaw may have fitted the bill too.

I'm CONFUSED!! In the episode Lucy Dates Dean Martin, Lucy is at the ball with Eddie (Dean Martin), when Mr. Mooney walks in with a blond woman and another couple. The blond woman wasn't introduced or identified, but wasn't she supposed to be Mrs. Mooney???? If she wasn't, then why was Mr. Mooney with another woman????

I'm CONFUSED!! In the episode Lucy Dates Dean Martin, Lucy is at the ball with Eddie (Dean Martin), when Mr. Mooney walks in with a blond woman and another couple. The blond woman wasn't introduced or identified, but wasn't she supposed to be Mrs. Mooney???? If she wasn't, then why was Mr. Mooney with another woman????

I have never seen Mr. Mooney with Mrs. Mooney, but we sure hear alot about her from Mr. Mooney. We get to see Lucy pretend to be Mrs. Mooney in the sixth season of "The Lucy Show". I am looking forward in seeing that episode.

:gale1::lucy2:

Isn't the Mooney party in that episode said to be people from the bank ? Or was that another s4 episode?

I think you're right. If memory serves, in an earlier scene, he says something to the effect that he has to take clients to the event or something like that. Still, woulda been nice if they'd made it clear it wasn't Irma, because I don't think it was supposed to be. lucyhaha.JPG

Still, woulda been nice if they'd made it clear it wasn't Irma, because I don't think it was supposed to be. lucyhaha.JPG

It couldn't have been Irma. She was always either out of town or just about to come back to town... but was never actually IN town. LOL

It couldn't have been Irma. She was always either out of town or just about to come back to town... but was never actually IN town. LOL

Possible titles:

"Everybody Loves Irma"

"Where's Irma?"

"My Friend Irma" (oh, that one's already taken)

"Irma, La Dunce"

Premise:

Irma Mooney, sexually frustrated wife of Danfield banker Theodore, is constantly coming up with reasons she's 'out of town' when in actuality she's having affairs with the men who ditch Lucy Carmichael after the first date. When she learns Mrs. Carmichael is moving to California, she uses her influence as "a very large stockholder" of the Danfield Bank to get Mooney transferred to Los Angel-EEZE so she can continue her string of clandestine relationships.

Episodes:

"Irma Learns Winter Sports"

"Irma Dates Eddie Feldman"

"Irma Opens a Karate School"

"Irma Gets a Job as Ironman Mooney"

"Irma Tweaks the Greek"

"Irma, the Undercover Agent" aka "HIM meets HER"

"Irma Wins an Ernest Borgnine Look-alike Contest"

Add to the actresses trying out for the part:

Reta Shaw

Barbara Morrison

Iris Adrian (who promises to gain 50 pounds if given the role)

Marjorie Main (in her TV series debut!)

Minerva Urecal

Who the hell is Minerva Urethracal??? lucyhorror.JPG

Minerva was the latter-day poor-man's version of Marie Dressler. In fact, she appeared in a TV series version of Marie's film "Tugboat Annie". I get Minerva and Hope Emerson confused sometimes.

Minerva appeared in an episode of "Angel" Jess Oppenheimer's 1960 sitcom. Because her mother in law (Madge Blake) is coming Angel hires a maid (Minerva) but both old gals arrive about the same time and Angel thinks one is the other.

• 3 months later...

Very true! When Theodore mentions Irma though I always picture Mary Wickes or Bea Arthur. Both had the imposing stature of Irma Klottendorf, the 7 ft tall shotputter "with the butch haircut". :marionstrong:

Elvia and Kathleen would have fit personality wise but I think they would have been too slight.

I think Dick Shawn in drag in Lucy, The Pool Hustler was the closest we would have gotten. Mr. Mooney clearly had an animal-like attention to him/her.

OMG BEA ARTHUR!!!!

What a fantastic idea! I also envisioned Mrs. Mooney as the one person (besides Mr. Cheever) who could really make Mooney crawl on the floor and plead for mercy. I could just see Mooney yelling at Lucy about something or other, then Irma walks in, gives him that classic Bea Arthur deadpan stare, and he quakes in front of her.

That would've been a scream! Pity the writers didn't think of having her make a cameo in the final episode!

OMG BEA ARTHUR!!!!

What a fantastic idea! I also envisioned Mrs. Mooney as the one person (besides Mr. Cheever) who could really make Mooney crawl on the floor and plead for mercy. I could just see Mooney yelling at Lucy about something or other, then Irma walks in, gives him that classic Bea Arthur deadpan stare, and he quakes in front of her.

That would've been a scream! Pity the writers didn't think of having her make a cameo in the final episode!

OMG BEA ARTHUR!!!!

Well, for one thing it was 1968 and Bea wasn't really on anyone's radar until her first guest appearance on AITF in 1971, and that was only as a favor to friend Norman Lear. That appearance was so successful it prompted the then head of CBS to have Lear offer Bea her own show, so the last ep of AITF Season 2 served as a "back door" pilot, which went on to become the series Maude the following September (1972).

Well, for one thing it was 1968 and Bea wasn't really on anyone's radar until her first guest appearance on AITF in 1971, and that was only as a favor to friend Norman Lear. That appearance was so successful it prompted the then head of CBS to have Lear offer Bea her own show, so the last ep of AITF Season 2 served as a "back door" pilot, which went on to become the series Maude the following September (1972).

Yes, I am aware she wasn't known at that point, but in hindsight it sounds like a good idea.

I wonder if any of you have seen the movie "Adam's Rib" with Tracy and Hepburn... there is a court room sceen where a lady picks up a chair with Spencer sitting in it... THAT woman would make a GREAT Mrs. Mooney...!

:marionstrong: !!!! That is a brilliant suggestion! She would have been perfect.

But I think she died before TLS even went on the air.

Archived