DVR Alerts!

Yes. And I missed it.

OH I think I understand what you mean.  On a station likeTCM you missed the before and after "discussion" about the movie.  Isn't THAT what you mean?  I hope so because I thought you meant OUR discussion of the movie on THIS website.  If we had a discussion about that movie, I missed it too!!!  I would like to hear other peoples opinion of that movie.  Wasn't it originally titled Personal Column?  (Which in my opinion is a much better title).

OH I think I understand what you mean. On a station likeTCM you missed the before and after "discussion" about the movie. Isn't THAT what you mean? I hope so because I thought you meant OUR discussion of the movie on THIS website. If we had a discussion about that movie, I missed it too!!! I would like to hear other peoples opinion of that movie. Wasn't it originally titled Personal Column? (Which in my opinion is a much better title).

That's what I'm talking about. Yes it was Personal Column for awhile. I have a European press kit still using that name.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

This is a very premature DVR alert, but Lucy will be spotlighted during TCM's Summer Under the Stars in August. In an unusual move, Lucy will be star of the day on August 2 and not August 6. Montgomery Clift will have the honors on Lucy's birthday. The 6th is a Saturday and the scheduling was probably due to TCM's The Essentials on Saturdays at 8pm.

The schedule:

6:00 AM Beauty for the Asking (1939)

7:15 AM Next Time I Marry (1938)
8:30 AM Affairs of Annabel, The (1938)
9:45 AM That's Right - You're Wrong (1940)
11:30 AM Five Came Back (1939)
1:00 PM Big Street, The (1942)
2:30 PM Girl, a Guy, and a Gob, A (1941)
4:15 PM Forever Darling (1956)
6:00 PM Critic's Choice (1963)
8:00 PM Dark Corner, The (1946)
10:00 PM Yours, Mine And Ours (1968)
12:00 AM Long, Long Trailer, The (1954)
1:45 AM Best Foot Forward (1943)
3:30 AM Mame (1974)

• 2 weeks later...

NYC's Film Forum did a screening of Dance, Girl, Dance on the 4th. I would've said something sooner so as to notify anyone in the area who'd want to go see it, but I only read about it today. Just an interesting tidbit.

I posted announcement about this in another thread. I went, but didn't give a report here afterwards. There were probably 50 people there and they went wild over Lucy. She got big laughs. I could hear people raving about Lucy as we walked out. I knew people would be impressed.

• Like 3

I posted announcement about this in another thread. I went, but didn't give a report here afterwards. There were probably 50 people there and they went wild over Lucy. She got big laughs. I could hear people raving about Lucy as we walked out. I knew people would be impressed.

Don't hold your reviews under a bushel! This is fantastic.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

This is a very premature DVR alert, but Lucy will be spotlighted during TCM's Summer Under the Stars in August. In an unusual move, Lucy will be star of the day on August 2 and not August 6. Montgomery Clift will have the honors on Lucy's birthday. The 6th is a Saturday and the scheduling was probably due to TCM's The Essentials on Saturdays at 8pm.

The schedule:

6:00 AM Beauty for the Asking (1939)

7:15 AM Next Time I Marry (1938)
8:30 AM Affairs of Annabel, The (1938)
9:45 AM That's Right - You're Wrong (1940)
11:30 AM Five Came Back (1939)
1:00 PM Big Street, The (1942)
2:30 PM Girl, a Guy, and a Gob, A (1941)
4:15 PM Forever Darling (1956)
6:00 PM Critic's Choice (1963)
8:00 PM Dark Corner, The (1946)
10:00 PM Yours, Mine And Ours (1968)
12:00 AM Long, Long Trailer, The (1954)
1:45 AM Best Foot Forward (1943)
3:30 AM Mame (1974)

I DVR'd several of these mainly for the TCM introductions.  Only a couple (that I've watched so far) have intros.  Done by Michael Feinstein.  Is Michael a guest host or a regular?  Is Robert Osbourne still doing them on occasion?

In the Yours Mine and Ours intro, Feinstein tells of the trouble Mel Shavelson had directing Lucy.  These stories are ALWAYS told, taking the other person's side.  Michael says "Lucy was near 60" when she was in fact 55 during filming, done between the 5th and 6th Lucy Show seasons.   My two favorite Lucy scenes both take place in the medical office: the first when Hank brings his daughter in; the 2nd with Van setting the two of them up.   It's not that the material is outstanding but Lucy is so charming and sincere, an example of what a great actress she is. 

I always like skimming Critics Choice for Lucy scenes.   My favorite is the outdoor party when Lucy meets Dion (Rip Torn).  She's so beautiful and underplays it so believably.   She contributes all of the high points in CC.  Hope is not as effective although it's his last screen role with any class; and the last time he plays any real drama.  He's surprisingly adept in the scene where he reveals to the kid that he's not going to review Angie's play and the kid feels betrayed. 

I saw CC as a kid and the sophisticated comedy went way over my head.  I didn't even know what a "review" was.  I thought it meant he was going to see the play again: RE-view it. 

A couple of observations:  I was young enough when I saw YMO for the first time that I didn't know that getting as bombed as Lucy was; then going to bathroom to get sick, didn't immediately sober one up instantly, as it does Lucy here.   Nor did I know that one wouldn't exactly want to eat right after.  (the family held dinner for her).  

Van Johnson doesn't seem to recognize Helen when he and Frank almost run her down.  But between that and the crowded bar scene, he seems to have become quite acquainted since he knows she has 8 kids while Frank does not. 

In CC, Bob goes to Angie's play after it has already started, does the drunk schtick where he falls from the balcony then leaves---so he never really sees any of the play, yet is able to write his scathing review.  What an a-hole!  One critic wrote of the movie:  "By opting for broad slapstick at this point, director Weis sunk the film for good."

Except for the drunk scene in YMO, there's very little of her Lucy character in either movie.  She looks great in both.  Lucy's soft focus close up shots are more obvious in CC than YMO filmed 5 years later. 

In discussions/articles about Lucy's life, YMO is usually cited as her only career high-point,  post ILL.  

I DVR'd several of these mainly for the TCM introductions. Only a couple (that I've watched so far) have intros. Done by Michael Feinstein. Is Michael a guest host or a regular? Is Robert Osbourne still doing them on occasion?

Robert has been on hiatus for health reasons and hasn't been on for months. I hope he gets better soon. He is sorely missed. Michael Feinstein seems to be the guest host for the month of August.

• 3 weeks later...

I was surprised that Michael Feinstein did not mention the most famous performer who appeared in Broadway Thru a Keyhole.

It's fascinating to me that director Lowell Sherman and stars Russ Columbo and Texas Guinan were all dead before the end of the following year. Leading lady Constance Cummings lived until 2005. Three of the major players didn't live to see Frankin Roosevelt's second term as president and one lived to see Facebook!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...