Release of LUCY IN LONDON on DVD Is in Jeopardy

I'm new to this message board, but I have been thinking of joining for some time. I decided to do so today because of a development Lucille Ball fans need to know about. In case you haven't already gotten the word, CBS is NOT planning to release the Lucy in London special on DVD. We can possibly change that, however, if we take action immediately. The people making these decisions at CBS are the business folks who just look at the numbers. They're not reading our messages in online forums. So if you want to see this special get released, it's extremely important to go directly to them. And time is quickly running out. Here is the contact information:

CBS Home Entertainment

ATTN: Ken Ross, Exec. VP & General Manager

1700 Broadway, 33rd Floor

New York, NY 10019

I've already written my letter and mailed it several days ago. I hope you will all do the same. And please be sure to spread this message.

Remember, CBS had no intention of releasing any of The Lucy Show on DVD. It was only because of a vigorous letter-writing campaign by fans that it happened at all. So our letters do have an impact. Please take a few minutes and write a letter to Mr. Ross to let him know how important it is for this special to be released. You might also want to check out the site below, which was instrumental in the original letter-writing campaign that got CBS interested in putting The Lucy Show on DVD. They have updated it with the same message I am conveying here, and a new campaign to get Lucy in London and Lucille Ball's Greatest Show on Earth guest shot released on DVD:

www.TheLucyShowDVD.com

Check it out and please get busy writing your letters. Thanks!

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What is their reluctance? Restoration costs? Music clearance?

I believe its cost. The money they have to spend to get clearance on all the rights to the songs make it too expensive to release, atleast thats been there excuse for the last however many years

I don't understand folks like this who come out of nowhere, proclaim to be The Biggest Fan but don't want to divulge their identity!!! WTF is up with that? Why should I give you any credence and believe whatever you say? Are you a CBS insider? What do you really KNOW and how much are you assuming?? If you were amongst the folks who ARE working on the DVDs -- and at least as I understand it, work has begun on TLS S5 -- I doubt you'd operate "on the sly" like this. I just don't get it. :huh:

Oh and if you really want to help the cause, I'd think you'd provide more than just a "snail mail" address, considering how many folks now lodge requests, complaints, etc. via website links and/or e-mails.

Thus....if you really want my support... I think you should GET ON THE BALL (pun intended, of course!)!!!

:rolleyes:

What is their reluctance? Restoration costs? Music clearance?

I hope they didn't blow the budget by acquiring the rights to "Bessie, the Heifer".

It will be a shame if Lucy in London is not released, either with season 5, on its own or as part of this other odds-n-ends set I've heard about.

If they don't release it, I'm going to go to their corporate office and run around in fast motion until they do!

Seriously, if it's the Newley medley that's the fly in the ointment, I would say cut it--even though I love the beautiful close ups of Lucy as different audience members (evidently they didn't think to reprise her stint as a Japanese gardener). They could leave in Lucy playing with the spotlight. I haven't seen the special in a while, but it's disjointed enough that I think the plot would flow from whatever happens before to the spotlight segment and nobody would be the wiser....or less entertained.

My name is Breck, I do NOT work for CBS, but I also am NOT making assumptions. My information is very solid. Right, Neil? That's all I can say about that, though I don't know why anyone would think I'd be spending time making this stuff up. I didn't just come out of nowhere. Though I haven't been on this particular site before, I have been around for quite a long time and lots of people in the "Lucy" community know me.

I don't understand folks like this who come out of nowhere, proclaim to be The Biggest Fan but don't want to divulge their identity!!! WTF is up with that? Why should I give you any credence and believe whatever you say? Are you a CBS insider? What do you really KNOW and how much are you assuming?? If you were amongst the folks who ARE working on the DVDs -- and at least as I understand it, work has begun on TLS S5 -- I doubt you'd operate "on the sly" like this. I just don't get it. :huh:

Oh and if you really want to help the cause, I'd think you'd provide more than just a "snail mail" address, considering how many folks now lodge requests, complaints, etc. via website links and/or e-mails.

Thus....if you really want my support... I think you should GET ON THE BALL (pun intended, of course!)!!!

:rolleyes:

If they pulled the independent release of "Lucy In London", it is most likely that it will be the special feature for the fifth season of "The Lucy Show" on DVD.

Unfortunately, at the moment there is no plan or intention to release "Lucy in London" either as an independent release or as part of a season five release of "The Lucy Show" release. The same goes for "K.O. Kitty" and "The Desilu Desilu Revue" from "The Desilu Playhouse"; "Lady in Limbo" from "The Greatest Show on Earth"; or "The Good Years" (with Henry Fonda). See thelucyshowdvd.com

My name is Breck, I do NOT work for CBS,

AND WE'RE LUCKY YOU DIDN'T IN 1965 OR THE 4TH SEASON WOULD NEVER HAVE SEEN THE LIGHT OF DAY!

but I also am NOT making assumptions. My information is very solid. Right, Neil?

IT'S TRUE....OTHER THAN BEING A COUNTESS-HATING IRONMAN-POOPER*, HIS OPINIONS USUALLY SPOT-ON.

That's all I can say about that, though I don't know why anyone would think I'd be spending time making this stuff up. I didn't just come out of nowhere.

NOWHERE, OKLAHOMA?

Though I haven't been on this particular site before, I have been around for quite a long time

YES, WE GO BACK SO FAR WE'RE ALWAYS ARGUING WHO PUSHED WHO IN THAT STROLLER.

and lots of people in the "Lucy" community know me.

AND TO KNOW BRECK IS TO LOVE HIM.

SERIOUSLY.**

HE'S THE ONLY ONE I'LL LET TELL ME MY SENSE OF STYLE IS AS FAR OFF AS MY YOUTH.

*and he's not the only one of those I know.

**and I'm serious about the 'seriously'

SO PLEASE START POSTING BRECK! I MISS YOUR ANALYTICAL OPINIONS.

Brock and Neil, thanks for your welcome! To tell you the truth, I thought of joining here years ago. Wasn't Eva involved with this site at the beginning? I seem to remember her inviting me. I took a look at the time and saw all that was going on and thought, oh no, if I join this site I'll NEVER get anything done. That's the only reason I've avoided it. It's certainly an impressive site, but I have kid-in-a-candy-shop fears about being here. But oh well, I've finally taken the plunge now so I guess I'll have to deal with it. (Restraint! Restraint!)

And Brock, I -- and Neil -- go back even before Yahoo. That group -- weren't you managing it? -- migrated from a couple locations before settling on Yahoo. It started out on the Bolis listserv, which Neil and I joined in 1995 (yikes!) almost at the very beginning. It was the first I Love Lucy message board on the Internet, though alt.tv.ilovelucy emerged close to the same time.

Now Neil, let's be clear: I have never criticized your sense of style. I'm in no position to do such a thing!

Okay now, enough about me. Let's see if we can move a mountain and convince CBS to change their position and put "Lucy in London" and those other 50s/60s Lucille Ball special appearances on DVD. I refer all again to thelucyshowdvd.com

And Brock, I -- and Neil -- go back even before Yahoo. That group -- weren't you managing it? -- migrated from a couple locations before settling on Yahoo. It started out on the Bolis listserv, which Neil and I joined in 1995 (yikes!) almost at the very beginning. It was the first I Love Lucy message board on the Internet, though alt.tv.ilovelucy emerged close to the same time.

I joined the list in August, 1997 (I think) shortly after the move to Onelist. As for the management, it is a long story but the jist of it is that Eve Diana is the manager and I'm the owner and I unexpectedly had ownership thrust upon me in the middle of the night by Ted Nesi without asking me. LOL The Lucy Lounge was founded by Eva Roberts. :)

Anyway, I'm so glad you've joined the community, Breck!

I joined the list in August, 1997 (I think) shortly after the move to Onelist. As for the management, it is a long story but the jist of it is that Eve Diana is the manager and I'm the owner and I unexpectedly had ownership thrust upon me in the middle of the night by Ted Nesi without asking me. LOL The Lucy Lounge was founded by Eva Roberts. :)

Anyway, I'm so glad you've joined the community, Breck!

YES, a hearty welcome Breck, where the hell have YOU been hiding, you sound lke ane terrific Lucy fan. BRING ON THOSE POSTS! And welcome . . .

Going back to making assumptions I would have thought if it is so expensive to release, be a bonus item would be out of the question but an independant release would be give best return and be the route the would rather take but like I said Im just assuming

Going back to making assumptions I would have thought if it is so expensive to release, be a bonus item would be out of the question but an independant release would be give best return and be the route the would rather take but like I said Im just assuming

Yeah, and besides, Phil Spector needs the money this would entail as he needs moolah to buy cigarettes in jail.

Unfortunately, at the moment there is no plan or intention to release "Lucy in London" either as an independent release or as part of a season five release of "The Lucy Show" release. The same goes for "K.O. Kitty" and "The Desilu Desilu Revue" from "The Desilu Playhouse"; "Lady in Limbo" from "The Greatest Show on Earth"; or "The Good Years" (with Henry Fonda). See thelucyshowdvd.com

WELCOME BRECK TO THE LUCY LOUNGE!!!

"Lucy In London" is one of the main factors in purchasing the fifth season of "The Lucy Show". Practically the entire public domains are the fifth season and I need something more added to it to purchase it. It seems ridiculous not to include "Lucy In London" since the episode "Lucy Goes To London" is the episode leading into the special. Breck, thankyou for notifying us of these developments.

Archived