Release of LUCY IN LONDON on DVD Is in Jeopardy

To each his own, no problem. I always try and pick a shitty show when i say Lucy's this hasn't been released but THAT crap is, i usually go with Good Times, but decided to name another one and went with one that irritated me when i saw it in a store, i'm sorry, we all have different tastes and surely there are loads of worse shows out there in the tv universe than either GT or WH, i just pick on those as they are HIGH profile shows, Lord knows there are hundreds of worse shows but people wouldn't know what i was referring to unless i named popular ones. I've never seen Married with Children, it aired on Fox when that network wasn't available here, but what i've seen of it in clips on shows, it looks God awful, but Mad About You is classic situation comedy but being New York type cerebral humor would not appeal to everyone.

Don't worry. I didn't take it personally. I just thought it was funny as I was reading and stopped and said "Hey, I love What's Happening" :marionstrong: But, yeah, I agree, stores are littered with crap shows with no substance. And studios make moronic decisions as to what is released and what isn't. :lucyblah:

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't worry. I didn't take it personally. I just thought it was funny as I was reading and stopped and said "Hey, I love What's Happening" :marionstrong: But, yeah, I agree, stores are littered with crap shows with no substance. And studios make moronic decisions as to what is released and what isn't. :lucyblah:

Maybe it's more than that, maybe some studios make an effort to release anything they initially produced in an effort to increase revenue, and we all know it's easier to release NEW shows as they are recent and they don't have to negotiate or have contracts or licenses with people who have long exited the world. Some releases even HELP shows that are struggling and gain them a wider audience. Like when shows go to syndication and play everywhere, it increases their value. Or shows that play on weird and very short schedules, it's much easier to just get them on dvd and they have special features and other things as incentive to buy them too. I think while LIL would be perfect as an add on to season five of The Lucy Show, it would sell all right on it's on also billed as THE LONG LOST LUCY SPECIAL, the only one never released. It's terrific, but mostly music, much different idea and set up and well executed but it has very few classic Lucy scenes that you'd expect in a Lucy special. BUT, if they released the excellent Mr and Mrs special as part of the series as a bonus feature, then they should do this one the same way as the episode that leads up to it plays on this season. Most of us who have those awful dreadful color almost gone copies, it sure would be great to see it perfectly remastered again. And then, for season six maybe Lucy in Nashville?

If "Lucy In London" isn't included, I will most probably be one of "we" that will not purchase it. Besides, I am so sick and tired of watching the public domain episodes, I want to watch something new. I want something that I don't have.

Just remember this: a purchase for season five is a vote for season six. By not buying season five you are simply telling CBS/Paramount that you are no longer interested in seeing more of the show.

Just remember this: a purchase for season five is a vote for season six. By not buying season five you are simply telling CBS/Paramount that you are no longer interested in seeing more of the show.

I think they would know that they are competing with the public domains if sales are lower than the previous seasons. They will most likely complete the series so they could sell it later as a complete series like "I Love Lucy". Maybe that would be the package with "Lucy In London" on it.

I think they would know that they are competing with the public domains if sales are lower than the previous seasons. They will most likely complete the series so they could sell it later as a complete series like "I Love Lucy". Maybe that would be the package with "Lucy In London" on it.

I hope not! :lucydisgust: I wouldn't really like to have to buy the complete set again just to get Lucy In London! That would be a pain the proverbial to say the least!

I hope not! :lucydisgust: I wouldn't really like to have to buy the complete set again just to get Lucy In London! That would be a pain the proverbial to say the least!

But if you'll recall, when they came out with the boxed set of the entire ILL series, they had that terrific SPECIAL bonus disc with it and many people did not want to get that set just to get the disc and months later they brought out the disc alone as a single special release of the one bonus disc, maybe they'd do the same with LIL.

But if you'll recall, when they came out with the boxed set of the entire ILL series, they had that terrific SPECIAL bonus disc with it and many people did not want to get that set just to get the disc and months later they brought out the disc alone as a single special release of the one bonus disc, maybe they'd do the same with LIL.

I hope so! :)

One disc of 50mins duration.... They will probably add the Lucy show companion episode to go with it.

Do you think it would be wise to point out to Ken Ross that the 5th season is already widely circulated cheaply with public domain prints and the only way they're going to get any sales AT ALL is to include LIL to set this set apart from all the knock-offs?

I wouldn't want him to consider not releasing the season at all. If LIL is included I'll bet all the reviews of the season release will focus on that.

But WAIT! We have a game plan laid out for us in the one of the 4th season episodes. If we can find out where Ross lives and works, you guys in the east can don disguises to infiltrate and convince him to do the right thing.

Harry can dress up like the little old lady ("Track team. Vassar. 2003")

Naturally Brock will want to replicate the Japanese gardener character. Just remember: when in doubt, pronounce any consonant as an "L"

And Claude can put on his slinkiest outfit and gain entry to Ross's office by announcing to the receptionist in his best Brooklyn-ese "I'm a friend of the producer." Bring along a boom box, so that sexy music accompanies your hip-swaying walk.

The first part of my post is a serious question.

Do you think it would be wise to point out to Ken Ross that the 5th season is already widely circulated cheaply with public domain prints and the only way they're going to get any sales AT ALL is to include LIL to set this set apart from all the knock-offs?

I wouldn't want him to consider not releasing the season at all. If LIL is included I'll bet all the reviews of the season release will focus on that.

But WAIT! We have a game plan laid out for us in the one of the 4th season episodes. If we can find out where Ross lives and works, you guys in the east can don disguises to infiltrate and convince him to do the right thing.

Naturally Brock will want to replicate the Japanese gardener character. Just remember: when in doubt, pronounce any consonant as an "L"

And Claude can put on his slinkiest outfit and gain entry to Ross's office by announcing to the receptionist in his best Brooklyn-ese "I'm a friend of the producer." Bring along a boom box, so that sexy music accompanies your hip-swaying walk.

And the second part sounds like quite the plan, I'M IN!

I don't see the harm. I mean, it is THEIR fault Season Five (but one) is in the public domain, so they have to be aware of it. You should frame it as a wise investment for CBS. Since they dropped the ball when renewing the copyright on Season Five, releasing Lucy In London is a great way to ensure they make some money on it and so they can justify their windfall on releasing Season 6.

:hlLOL: :hlLOL: :hlLOL: :hlLOL: :hlLOL:

Trust me, even if we don't see LIL releases we will definitely see season 5 released. All the episodes have been remastered and we will probably see a release in the fall. So, don't worry. Season 5 will sell well enough to guarantee a release of the final season. CBS/Paramount know that there's money in "The Lucy Show".

Trust me, even if we don't see LIL releases we will definitely see season 5 released. All the episodes have been remastered and we will probably see a release in the fall. So, don't worry. Season 5 will sell well enough to guarantee a release of the final season. CBS/Paramount know that there's money in "The Lucy Show".

Been sayin that for years, we're talking Queen of Comedy here, not Shirley Hemphill.

I don't see the harm. I mean, it is THEIR fault Season Five (but one) is in the public domain, so they have to be aware of it.

And I seriously doubt the draw of the one "lost" episode "Lucy Love Main Street Part 2" will do much for sales. In fact, it's possible this is one of those available to the public domain bottom-feeding packagers, but they took a look at it and passed.

Until someone pointed it out, I didn't realize this season had only 22 episodes. Even 26, the normal Lucy Show season output, was low for the average episode number per season of a sitcom in 1966. "Bewitched" had 33 that year.

And I seriously doubt the draw of the one "lost" episode "Lucy Love Main Street Part 2" will do much for sales. In fact, it's possible this is one of those available to the public domain bottom-feeding packagers, but they took a look at it and passed.

Until someone pointed it out, I didn't realize this season had only 22 episodes. Even 26, the normal Lucy Show season output, was low for the average episode number per season of a sitcom in 1966. "Bewitched" had 33 that year.

Gary had planned on doing six eps of Lucy at the zoo, an arc that featured Lucy interacting with various animals on each show, set in the LA zoo, but we're talking men in animal suits of course. That would have brought up the total to 32, just one shy of Bewitched, but upon checking the budget for the season, gary had embezzled the money for the shows to get some watches and shirts from Neiman Marcus so . . .

Yes, true but that was ILL, their all-time "cash cow". Even though TLS is Lucy, it ain't ILL and they don't think of it in the same way, unfortunately. If LIL were an "offshoot" of ILL rather than TLS, we wouldn't even be having this discussion, I have no doubt they'd release it in some form or another, even if it ended up coming out as a separate, one-disc "special" release like The I Love Lucy "Movie".

Obviously, TLS has sold well enough to keep crankin' 'em out four seasons strong and work already begun on S5, but JUST how good sales are, I'd LOVE to know!

LIL or not, I'm thrilled to get the episodes uncut -- about 4 minutes of show put back, kids! -- and pristine. Yes, those public domain versions are all over the place but they look so crappy I never watch them. Keep it coming, CBS! :D

Can we include another episode in the fifth season that "may" not be a public domain: Lucy and Phil Silvers?

There seems to be some confusion with episodes called "Lucy & Phil Silvers" and "Lucy & Phil Harris". idmb lists a season 5 episode called "Lucy and Phil Harris". Who is Phil Harris?? And when was the Lucy & Phil Silvers episode aired?

They are two different episodes.

Season Five: Lucy & Phil Silvers (a.k.a. Lucy & The Efficiency Expert)

Season Six: Lucy & Phil Harris. Harris was a bandleader and a star of screen and television. He and his wife Alice Faye had their own radio show, while Phil made frequent appearances on The Jack Benny Program. He also provided the voice of Baloo in Disney's Jungle Book.

Lucy & Phil Silvers/The Efficiency Expert is in public domain, but it was also released in its restored entirety in the short lived Lucy Show library from Columbia House.

They are two different episodes.

Season Five: Lucy & Phil Silvers (a.k.a. Lucy & The Efficiency Expert)

Season Six: Lucy & Phil Harris. Harris was a bandleader and a star of screen and television. He and his wife Alice Faye had their own radio show, while Phil made frequent appearances on The Jack Benny Program. He also provided the voice of Baloo in Disney's Jungle Book.

Lucy & Phil Silvers/The Efficiency Expert is in public domain, but it was also released in its restored entirety in the short lived Lucy Show library from Columbia House.

Thank you! Now I see why I was so confused, L&PS had an alternate title, and L&PH was season 6.

I made DVDs of my columbia House tapes, but still have the original VHS tapes in their hard cases because if I ever meet up with the person who chose "Lucy and Phil Silvers" to be included, I want something to hit him over the head with.

It's not Phil's fault---or Lucy's, and it's not without its moments, but the assembly line ending is not believable, motivated or funny. Phil wasn't kidding when his character says to Lucy: "You're on your own here, kid..."

As to the "Who's Phil Harris?" question. If I was Lucy and LucyImHome was Ethel my reaction would be the same as Brock's avatar*...but I guess other than his two Lucy appearances I wouldn't know who he was either. There were many guest stars that I know only from their Lucy appearances and nothing else. (another example: Rudy Vallee) I don't know if there was a Jack benny show regular that did NOT make an appearance on TLS/HL because of Milt's influence. And the references, which were archaic even then, abounded (Joan Brenner: "I was around when Phil Harris took his first drink.") culminating in "Jack Benny's Account" which barely needed Lucy, it was such a JB Show.

*I have a friend who has talked about this as being his favorite Lucy 'take' of all time. It wasn't until he pointed it out that I realized how perfect it was. It's the TIMING.

I made DVDs of my columbia House tapes, but still have the original VHS tapes in their hard cases because if I ever meet up with the person who chose "Lucy and Phil Silvers" to be included, I want something to hit him over the head with.

It's not Phil's fault---or Lucy's, and it's not without its moments, but the assembly line ending is not believable, motivated or funny. Phil wasn't kidding when his character says to Lucy: "You're on your own here, kid..."

As to the "Who's Phil Harris?" question. If I was Lucy and LucyImHome was Ethel my reaction would be the same as Brock's avatar*...but I guess other than his two Lucy appearances I wouldn't know who he was either. There were many guest stars that I know only from their Lucy appearances and nothing else. (another example: Rudy Vallee) I don't know if there was a Jack benny show regular that did NOT make an appearance on TLS/HL because of Milt's influence. And the references, which were archaic even then, abounded (Joan Brenner: "I was around when Phil Harris took his first drink.") culminating in "Jack Benny's Account" which barely needed Lucy, it was such a JB Show.

*I have a friend who has talked about this as being his favorite Lucy 'take' of all time. It wasn't until he pointed it out that I realized how perfect it was. It's the TIMING.

So true, i was reminded of all that when i saw Lucy biting into that fake apple, in Lucy's schedule, we all had a display of fake fruit on the table in the fifties, it was the norm. And let's face it, here we are surprised that new kids today have no idea who these people are or were back when they were at the tail end of their careers. These shows are from half a century ago, why are we surprised? I guess because i'm older than all of you, i DID know who Phil Harris was, and although i had heard of Rudy Vallee, my parents knew him much better. I always assumed it was SOFT TOUCH Lucy who remembered these people and loved and enjoyed them so she had them on, figures that it was more about budget costs and Milt nd gary putting their two cents in. Lucy always wanted these OLDER stars to get work, keep working, the same courtesy that was given to her decades later when the job offers were few and far between. Lucy did NOT enjoy a Betty White type resurgence, her manager was too lazy for that. We just have to remember that what was funny in the fifties or sixties to be funny today means it has to be genuine, perfectly executed comedy by someone who had been doing it for so long it was part of her DNA. But we have to consider it for the time period it was presented.

"The Lucy Sow" Season 5 - Tentative Release Date December 6

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just spoke to Jeff Nemerovski, Vice President of Business Development of CBS Home Entertainment in California and he told me that "The Lucy Show" season five has a tentative release date for December 6th. I told Mr. Nemerovski what a wonderful job CBS and Paramount have done on the Lucy releases. He told me that Tom Watson should be thanked since he is the execuitve producer of the releases. ALSO, BIG SCOOP - "Lucy In London" will be released but they haven't decided yet to include it in season five. It seems that they are in talks with NET to have a pledge drive for "Lucy In London" in celebration of the 60th Anniversary of "I Love Lucy" and the 100 Birthday of Lucille Ball. I believe he said that the pledge drive would also include the DVD version of American Master's Finding Lucy, which was offered a few years ago in VHS version on NET as a pledge drive. This is just great news. So we either get "Lucy In London" in season five or we can purchase it through NET if they have a Lucy pledge drive.

P.S. I also failed to mention that if CBS includes "Lucy In London" in season five of "The Lucy Show" they would consider a pledge drive for Lucille Ball's guest appearance on "The Danny Kaye Show" which aired in 1964.

Read more: http://www.sitcomsonline.com/boards/showthread.php?p=4562795&posted=1#post4562795#ixzz1OXv86CnS

Archived