Release of LUCY IN LONDON on DVD Is in Jeopardy

As far as Lucy Comes to Nashville, I wish her sketches from that, could be released as extras on The Lucy Show or Here's Lucy dvd releases, like they did with some of her guest appearances on other tv shows and specials.

I know, but i'd kinda like to see a special that had her name on it released as her special.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The tribute they did for her that included Joan Collins should most-definitely be released on dvd.

Yes, that was the Variety Clubs all star party fr Lucille Ball, one of my all time favorites, just terrific and star studded, seems like everybody in Hollywood was there, including ehr kids who did this great song to her, even Simon was there as Lucie was preggers at the time, LOL! But that one, like the TV Hall of Fame and the Kennedy Center Honors were specials that should be put out by the producers of all three of those great associations. Maybe two or three of them on the same dvd.

Yes, that was the Variety Clubs all star party fr Lucille Ball, one of my all time favorites, just terrific and star studded, seems like everybody in Hollywood was there, including ehr kids who did this great song to her, even Simon was there as Lucie was preggers at the time, LOL! But that one, like the TV Hall of Fame and the Kennedy Center Honors were specials that should be put out by the producers of all three of those great associations. Maybe two or three of them on the same dvd.

Do we know who owns this? Is it a major studio or a private owner? This would make a terrific dvd release. But with all the music, I wonder if it would be a problem.

Do we know who owns this? Is it a major studio or a private owner? This would make a terrific dvd release. But with all the music, I wonder if it would be a problem.

The Variety Clubs are a charity, so you'd think they could put out a dvd of three of them, one of Lucy, one of Carol Burnett's and one of Liz Taylor let's say and the proceeds would go to them. I don't even know if they still do those tribute shows to raise money for themselves. As for the music, there wasn't more than a few musical numbers so i dun't thin that's a significant factor monitarily.

The Variety Clubs are a charity, so you'd think they could put out a dvd of three of them, one of Lucy, one of Carol Burnett's and one of Liz Taylor let's say and the proceeds would go to them. I don't even know if they still do those tribute shows to raise money for themselves. As for the music, there wasn't more than a few musical numbers so i dun't thin that's a significant factor monitarily.

Someone who has some pull should look into this. Would be great! Maybe MPI could do something after HL and TLBS are done.

Someone who has some pull should look into this. Would be great! Maybe MPI could do something after HL and TLBS are done.

True, MPI sure seems to be a real lifesaver in some Lucy instances. I say that because i just watched MPI's Lucy and Desi a home movie where they incorporated those terrible OUTTAKES and INTERVIEWS in the Bonus section of it with loads of other special Lucy things that were worth watching. MPI is our Lucy lifesaver that's for sure.

Lucie Arnaz needs to be credited for providing so much material that Lucy, herself had the insight to save. It has been said that Lucy saved EVERYTHING! That's why there's so much rare stuff!!! :) :)

All the shows are not saved by Lucie, the home movies though were. You're right, thank God Lucy and Desi filmed so much and Lucy kept everything.

All the shows are not saved by Lucie, the home movies though were. You're right, thank God Lucy and Desi filmed so much and Lucy kept everything.

They used to say the family sat around at parties watching outtakes from TLS and HL but there seem to be very few of these on the discs....

They used to say the family sat around at parties watching outtakes from TLS and HL but there seem to be very few of these on the discs....

Well, as long as they're not as horrid as the ones on the Lucy Desi home movies with Lucie and the kids and even Gale where they are making childish faces at the camera and acting like spoiled little brats, then i wouldn't mind seeing the good ones with Lucy and the cast.

• 4 weeks later...

Nielsen used to release ratings based on a 2-week period. "Lucy in London" was actually number TWO in actual ratings, but the number one spot was a tie between "Bonanza" and the "Charlie Brown" Pumpkin special, so that puts it at number 3. What I did not know is "The Lucy Show" held a separate spot at number FIVE for the 2-week period. I don't know if this was "Lucy Flies to London" or the episode that came after LIL. The others in the top 10 in case you want to know. #4: Red Skelton #6 through #10: "NBC Ice Follies" special, Jackie Gleason, Green Acres, "Alice Through Looking Glass" special, and Andy Griffith.

The article pointed out that only two of the new 66-67 shows made the top 30. "Family Affair" at #22 and "RAT PATROL" at #28.

"RP" was a half-hour show on ABC that was "The Lucy Show"'s direct competition, the only series (before "Laugh-in") opposite Lucy that did not immediately tank. "RP" was renewed in this time slot the next season. "Laugh-in" debuted midway through that season. It caught on and "the Lucy Show" was still riding high leaving little audience left for "RP" and it was canceled at the end of its second season.

Nielsen used to release ratings based on a 2-week period. "Lucy in London" was actually number TWO in actual ratings, but the number one spot was a tie between "Bonanza" and the "Charlie Brown" Pumpkin special, so that puts it at number 3. What I did not know is "The Lucy Show" held a separate spot at number FIVE for the 2-week period. I don't know if this was "Lucy Flies to London" or the episode that came after LIL. The others in the top 10 in case you want to know. #4: Red Skelton #6 through #10: "NBC Ice Follies" special, Jackie Gleason, Green Acres, "Alice Through Looking Glass" special, and Andy Griffith.

The article pointed out that only two of the new 66-67 shows made the top 30. "Family Affair" at #22 and "RAT PATROL" at #28.

"RP" was a half-hour show on ABC that was "The Lucy Show"'s direct competition, the only series (before "Laugh-in") opposite Lucy that did not immediately tank. "RP" was renewed in this time slot the next season. "Laugh-in" debuted midway through that season. It caught on and "the Lucy Show" was still riding high leaving little audience left for "RP" and it was canceled at the end of its second season.

Ohhh i am so happy to hear about the demise of Rat Patrol, how about Mod Squad, how did they do against Lucy?

Ohhh i am so happy to hear about the demise of Rat Patrol, how about Mod Squad, how did they do against Lucy?

The Mod Squad was never Lucy's competition here in the States anyway.

I discovered our local newspaper's archives are online and looked up "Lucy in London". THEY JUST DIDN'T GET IT.

Our local TV columnist dismissed it as "light and frothy and unmemorable", and he was generally pro-Lucy.

Two days later, he printed this:

"LIL" received dismal reviews from all over the country. Said Cynthia Lowry: "It was not the comedienne's finest hour. It may indeed have been her dullest...Lucy in London sad to relate is not nearly as amusing as Lucy in Los Angeles and the Desilu Studios. Said the Washington Post's Lawrence Laurent: "LIL" had piled commonplaces upon cliches upon gimmicks and threatened to become a disaster." He felt it was saved by the final five minutes.

I discovered our local newspaper's archives are online and looked up "Lucy in London". THEY JUST DIDN'T GET IT.

Our local TV columnist dismissed it as "light and frothy and unmemorable", and he was generally pro-Lucy.

"LIL" received dismal reviews from all over the country. Said Cynthia Lowry: "It was not the comedienne's finest hour. It may indeed have been her dullest...Lucy in London sad to relate is not nearly as amusing as Lucy in Los Angeles and the Desilu Studios. Said the Washington Post's Lawrence Laurent: "LIL" had piled commonplaces upon cliches upon gimmicks and threatened to become a disaster." He felt it was saved by the final five minutes.

We're back to that, if she didn't give them the regular Lucy they were familiar with, they didn't like it, but when she was the regular Lucy they got tired of it and criticized then too. Hey, The Mod Squad was on ABC opposite Lucy, i remember Lucy herself saying i get women and older men, and kids, teens watch Mod Squad instead. I forget if that was in the LOOK article.

What? The final five minutes is that Newley gain wailing a medoly of songs that the show could have done without.... it was great up until that

What? The final five minutes is that Newley gain wailing a medoly of songs that the show could have done without.... it was great up until that

He might not have been the greatest singer in the world, and a nauseating way of singing at that BUT the songs were great HITS from shows he had been featured in by him and Lesley Brycuse i think.

Archived