Release of LUCY IN LONDON on DVD Is in Jeopardy

Speculation aside...from what I hear is that CBS has simply not made up their mind either way. No one has made any official or public remark as yet about whether or not to include "Lucy in London" in the fifth season of The Lucy Show or as a separate entity.

Because of the fact that this special is almost ALL music...yes, the cost for CBS/Paramount to clear this, is astronomical. With today's legal matters, it's as simple as that. People tend to forget that it is a business first and that's the bottom line. I suspect that if the company were indeed to release "LIL" as a separate boxed special, the expense has to be justified in the first place. This could possibly mean a much higher sticker price passed on to the buyers. Would the average consumer (other than us fervent fans) support that? Not sure.

I support a letter-writing campaign to get any of Lucy's work out there, but one has to realize that we are not entitled just because we are fans. Sometimes, we have to work at it, which is how this subject got started.

I sincerely wish that all goes well and "Lucy in London" is among other Lucy goodies that all get released.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I joined the list in August, 1997 (I think) shortly after the move to Onelist. As for the management, it is a long story but the jist of it is that Eve Diana is the manager and I'm the owner and I unexpectedly had ownership thrust upon me in the middle of the night by Ted Nesi without asking me. LOL The Lucy Lounge was founded by Eva Roberts. :)

Anyway, I'm so glad you've joined the community, Breck!

Oh yes, Onelist. That's where we got bounced to after Bolis and before Yahoo. What's going on with Ted Nesi, do you know? I tried to reconnect with him a couple years ago but he didn't respond. As for Eve, she's a very, very dear friend. She managed to lure me out to California for several years. Hopefully I'll be seeing her in a couple weeks. And Eva Roberts? Did you know we were briefly married? :lol: The attached picture is from our honeymoon aboard the SS Constitution in 1999. That's us seated at the table behind Ethel. Twelve years ago, whew! Sure went by fast. "Them thar days were good 'ol days!" RIP Roz and Marilyn.

post-738-034321900 1306379060_thumb.jpg

Speculation aside...from what I hear is that CBS has simply not made up their mind either way. No one has made any official or public remark as yet about whether or not to include "Lucy in London" in the fifth season of The Lucy Show or as a separate entity.

Because of the fact that this special is almost ALL music...yes, the cost for CBS/Paramount to clear this, is astronomical. With today's legal matters, it's as simple as that. People tend to forget that it is a business first and that's the bottom line. I suspect that if the company were indeed to release "LIL" as a separate boxed special, the expense has to be justified in the first place. This could possibly mean a much higher sticker price passed on to the buyers. Would the average consumer (other than us fervent fans) support that? Not sure.

I support a letter-writing campaign to get any of Lucy's work out there, but one has to realize that we are not entitled just because we are fans. Sometimes, we have to work at it, which is how this subject got started.

I sincerely wish that all goes well and "Lucy in London" is among other Lucy goodies that all get released.

rickee . . . Carl by chance? Regardless, thanks for posting this. You said it perfectly: We have to work for it. Folks need to make their voices heard. Thanks.

And Eva Roberts? Did you know we were briefly married? :lol: The attached picture is from our honeymoon aboard the SS Constitution in 1999. That's us seated at the table behind Ethel. Twelve years ago, whew! Sure went by fast. "Them thar days were good 'ol days!"

Did that dastardly Kenneth Hamilton come between you two too?! <_< LOL The last I heard from Ted Nesi he was working some government internship in London or Brussels. But that was MANY years ago.

I'll echo Teri here. We Lucy fans have been spoiled by these DVD sets so far. I mean, I think we can all say that the inclusion of Mr. and Mrs. on the Season Two release was more than we could ever have hoped for, but Season Five is a tricky season for release because of the public domain issue. From my perspective, the only way CBS can guarantee that this set sells like hot cakes -- when they can get nearly every single episode for five bucks at Walmart -- is to offer something new, unique, and exciting. Lucy In London looks like the only ticket here; I don't think offering a prestine edition of Lucy Puts Main Street on the Map is going to do the trick. I'll survive if Lucy In London is NOT released but without it on the set, I fear sales will be poor and we can write off a season six release. CBS should look at this as an investment since someone in their copyright department royally dropped the ball.

I don't agree Brock - I don't think that sales would be poor just because LIL isn't included - I think it wouldn't make any difference to sales because everyone wants the pristine episodes, not the syndicated crappy ones. Most people don't buy DVD's for extras, they buy them for the actual episodes, I know I do, the extras just add something "extra" to it, but isn't a main factor in buying DVD's. After all, I'll watch an extra once and probably never watch it again, but I'll always watch the episodes again.

I don't agree Brock - I don't think that sales would be poor just because LIL isn't included - I think it wouldn't make any difference to sales because everyone wants the pristine episodes, not the syndicated crappy ones. Most people don't buy DVD's for extras, they buy them for the actual episodes, I know I do, the extras just add something "extra" to it, but isn't a main factor in buying DVD's. After all, I'll watch an extra once and probably never watch it again, but I'll always watch the episodes again.

I didn't say the sales would be poor JUST because LIL isn't included, but there needs to be something else. Essentially what I am saying is the casual Lucy fan -- or someone with just a passing interest in The Lucy Show -- might ask themselves, "Why would I pay $35 for the same episodes I can get for $5?" They're not going to care about whether they are buying copies with lousy picture quality -- and the DVDs from Madacy or any of the other companies cranking out TLS bootlegs certainly aren't going to say "these episodes are mastered from syndicated crappy prints". I know that you and I -- and I think just about everyone here - will buy these sets to have the pristine, uncut episodes in our collections but, let's face it, Lucy Loungers are not the average Joe TVFan.

I didn't say the sales would be poor JUST because LIL isn't included, but there needs to be something else. Essentially what I am saying is the casual Lucy fan -- or someone with just a passing interest in The Lucy Show -- might ask themselves, "Why would I pay $35 for the same episodes I can get for $5?" They're not going to care about whether they are buying copies with lousy picture quality -- and the DVDs from Madacy or any of the other companies cranking out TLS bootlegs certainly aren't going to say "these episodes are mastered from syndicated crappy prints". I know that you and I -- and I think just about everyone here - will buy these sets to have the pristine, uncut episodes in our collections but, let's face it, Lucy Loungers are not the average Joe TVFan.

Yeah, in a way I see what you are saying, but I still think that people would rather buy the official DVD set than any old set.

I think Brock does have a very good point.

I don't see season five being a MUST-HAVE DVD set for the average Lucy fan or the general classic television buyer given that the general perception of the last three seasons are seen as the weakest, mediocre seasons of The Lucy Show. And it certaintly doesn't help any that season five is practically out on DVD already. There definitely needs to be something else besides the episodes themselves on that official season five set to spark enough interest for it to become a MUST-HAVE. I think Lucy In London may very well be the key in sparking such interest.

I think Brock does have very good point.

I don't see season five being a MUST-HAVE DVD set for the average Lucy fan or the general classic television buyer given that the general perception of the last three seasons are seen as the weakest, mediocre seasons of The Lucy Show. And it certaintly doesn't help any that season five is practically out on DVD already. There definitely needs to be something else besides the episodes themselves on that season five set to spark enough interest for it to become a MUST-HAVE. I think Lucy In London may very well be the key in sparking such interest.

Don't fear Harrison! I have it on good authority that Lucy In London WILL be released with Season 5! You heard it hear first!

No... we're ABOVE average! ;)

Don't fear Harrison! I have it on good authority that Lucy In London WILL be released with Season 5! You heard it hear first!

I do think we will see the official seasons five AND six of The Lucy Show on DVD eventually. However, I have a feeling that it is going to take longer to see these sets get released given the circumstances. Remember the waiting period between seasons one and two? That may be the case for season five and maybe even six.

I do think we will see the official seasons five AND six of The Lucy Show on DVD eventually. However, I have a feeling that it is going to take longer to see these sets get released given the circumstances. Remember the waiting period between seasons one and two? That may be the case for season five and maybe even six.

Look at it this way. The first season of Melrose Place was released in 2006 and they have just released season 6 volume 1 and it's now 2011 and the sales of those series have been below average and that's being kind! So, I'm 100% positive that the series will be released in it's entirity. I mean, we've been waiting for decades so I'm sure we can wait a bit longer :)

Really? If this is true, this is a brand, brand new development because this most definitely was not the case earlier this week. I'm checking with my sources.

Brock, I completely agree with what you're saying. In fact, those were some of the very points I made in the letter I wrote Mr. Ross at CBS. These are tough times and lots of people don't have the luxury of spending 35 bucks on something they've essentially already got, even some diehard fans.

I'm reposting the message from TheLucyShowDVD.com:

Congratulations Lucy Fans! As you know, all of your letters and purchasing has made these DVD releases possible!!

If you are a true Lucy fan like us, you want to see all of "the Queen of comedy's" work. We have it on good authority that there are still quite a few rarities owned by CBS that are not currently being considered for commercial release. Namely, these specials are "Lucy in London," "The Desilu Playhouse - K.O. Kitty," "The Desilu Playhouse - Desilu Revue," "The Greatest Show on Earth - Lady in Limbo" and "The Good Years" (with Henry Fonda).

This year marks the 60th Anniversary of "I Love Lucy" and also Lucille Ball's 100th birthday, it has never been a better time to release these specials. If you would like to see these in your collection, please let CBS know. Thank you for your time!

Send your letters to:

CBS Home Entertainment

ATTN: Ken Ross, Exec. VP & General Manager

1700 Broadway, 33rd Floor

New York, NY 10019

Please spend the time writing to CBS, but if you would like to contact us as well, our email is email@TheLucyShowDVD.com

The people producing the fifth season knows that the majority of the fifth season is on public domain. They know that alot of people have already owned it because the price was right and it has sold in a very wide market, especially the discount store like "Dollar Tree" where I have seen them sold for a dollar(although not all 30 shows for that price, approximately two episodes). They know that people who are casual Lucy fans have them, those on limited income, and especially die-hard Lucy fans(because we will get what we can till we get the real deal). I have no problem as a die-hard Lucy fan in getting the sixth season instead of the fifth season for the sole reason that I don't have many of those episodes on DVD. I don't have a "Betty Ramsey budget" but a "Fred Mertz budget" so I have to be more picky in what Lucy product that I will own, even as a "die-hard fan". Besides, three of my friends already received from me as a gift the public domains and I usually want to share with them "The Lucy Show" episodes that they don't have. I have alot of gems to show them in the fourth and sixth season.

The people producing the fifth season knows that the majority of the fifth season is on public domain. They know that alot of people have already owned it because the price was right and it has sold in a very wide market, especially the discount store like "Dollar Tree" where I have seen them sold for a dollar(although not all 30 shows for that price, approximately two episodes). They know that people who are casual Lucy fans have them, those on limited income, and especially die-hard Lucy fans(because we will get what we can till we get the real deal). I have no problem as a die-hard Lucy fan in getting the sixth season instead of the fifth season for the sole reason that I don't have many of those episodes on DVD. I don't have a "Betty Ramsey budget" but a "Fred Mertz budget" so I have to be more picky in what Lucy product that I will own, even as a "die-hard fan". Besides, three of my friends already received from me as a gift the public domains and I usually want to share with them "The Lucy Show" episodes that they don't have. I have alot of gems to show them in the fourth and sixth season.

:gale1: "Maybe I could ask Mr. Mooney to co-sign a loan to get the fifth season for me. :lucy2:

Contrary to a message posted earlier today, my sources inform me that there been absolutely no final decision to release "Lucy in London," either as a bonus or an individual release. Cost is still a concern and a final decision could go either way. Please write your letters so we can ensure the decision will go our way. I will let you know if I hear anything further.

Contrary to a message posted earlier today, my sources inform me that there been absolutely no final decision to release "Lucy in London," either as a bonus or an individual release.

Are they LEANING in one direction or than the other? Or do I even want to know? lol

I've actually been working on these sets and while it's generally not advisable/against contracts for anyone working on any entertainment related project to discuss it before it's been officially announced or released, I just have to ask this.

Mikidiki, who is your source that says "London" is definitely confirmed to be on the season 5 DVD set?

Archived