"Holy Grail" of Unreleased Lucy?

As many of the "die-hard" Lucy fans know, many of Lucille Ball's specials/TV show episodes/interviews/lectures have surfaced, well... unofficially, let's just say. And although those seventh generation copies may be just barely watchable, I'm still grateful for their presence because as crappy as they may look or sound, they do provide fans with a more complete look at Lucille Ball's body of work. But let's face it; we need an official upgrade on some of these Lucy appearances.

So which of the "unofficially" leaked Lucille Ball material would you like to see released officially on CD or DVD/Blu-Ray/Downloadable Format?

AND/OR

What are some Lucy bits and pieces you have never seen anywhere and would just KILL to watch, even if only on a shitty iPod screen?

Plus, the media LOVES to slap the label of LOST onto any resurfaced clip that hasn't been aired for more than ten years, but was never truly lost in the first place.

Is there anything of Lucy's that has been rumoured or even confirmed to be LOST for good that you would love to see anyway?

My "holy grail" Lucy items would have to include (in no particular order...I'll be sure to think of more later):

The Good Years (1962) TV Special

Let's Talk To Lucy (1962) Radio Show ~ All Episodes (*not sure if all exist, though*)

The Merv Griffin Show (1974) @ the première of Mame

Mame (1974) ~ deleted scenes &/or version that included alternate camera angles

Mame (1974) ~ complete stereo soundtrack (*rumoured to have been destroyed or lost*)

Mame (1974) ~ 20 minute documentary on the "Making of" the film (*rumoured to have aired on NBC in '74*)

Lucy Calls the President (1977) ~ Footage of Lucille breaking character during first scene/telling audience about the loss of DeDe

And finally, I really would have loved to have seen the complete/uncut I Love Lucy original 35mm film camera negatives, containing all deleted scenes, bloopers, and alternate camera angles. Sadly, I Love Lucy's film editor, Dann Cahn, and Desi Arnaz burned all of those films in 1959/1960; maintaining and storing them was costly and served no foreseeable purpose at the time.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As many of the "die-hard" Lucy fans know, many of Lucille Ball's specials/TV show episodes/interviews/lectures have surfaced, well... unofficially, let's just say. And although those seventh generation copies may be just barely watchable, I'm still grateful for their presence because as crappy as they may look or sound, they do provide fans with a more complete look at Lucille Ball's body of work. But let's face it; we need an official upgrade on some of these Lucy appearances.

So which of the "unofficially" leaked Lucille Ball material would you like to see released officially on CD or DVD/Blu-Ray/Downloadable Format?

AND/OR

What are some Lucy bits and pieces you have never seen anywhere and would just KILL to watch, even if only on a shitty iPod screen?

Plus, the media LOVES to slap the label of LOST onto any resurfaced clip that hasn't been aired for more than ten years, but was never truly lost in the first place.

Is there anything of Lucy's that has been rumoured or even confirmed to be LOST for good that you would love to see anyway?

My "holy grail" Lucy items would have to include (in no particular order...I'll be sure to think of more later):

The Good Years (1962) TV Special

Let's Talk To Lucy (1962) Radio Show ~ All Episodes (*not sure if all exist, though*)

The Merv Griffin Show (1974) @ the première of Mame

Mame (1974) ~ deleted scenes &/or version that included alternate camera angles

Mame (1974) ~ complete stereo soundtrack (*rumoured to have been destroyed or lost*)

Mame (1974) ~ 20 minute documentary on the "Making of" the film (*rumoured to have aired on NBC in '74*)

Lucy Calls the President (1977) ~ Footage of Lucille breaking character during first scene/telling audience about the loss of DeDe

And finally, I really would have loved to have seen the complete/uncut I Love Lucy original 35mm film camera negatives, containing all deleted scenes, bloopers, and alternate camera angles. Sadly, I Love Lucy's film editor, Dann Cahn, and Desi Arnaz burned all of those films in 1959/1960; maintaining and storing them was costly and served no foreseeable purpose at the time.

Great line up, i would add her many tributes and accolades over the years. The Variety Clubs tribute to Lucy, the TV Hall of Fame and Kennedy Center Honors although i might settle for just the Lucy part of the last two in any of the four Lucy boxed sets of her shows still not released. ALL of her talk show GIGS from the great ones like Merv and Mike Douglas and Virginia Graham and Dinah Shore to the rare unseen Tomorrow show with Tom Snyder added to the Phil Donahue, Johnny Carson, Joan Rivers ones etc . . . I have been supplied by gerat friends some of the sound only ones like Wildcat complete soundtrack and mame alternative soundtrack and of course we are finding out now how great the Let's Talk to Lucy shows were. AND what other fans fail to realize is the main reason we thought Lucy writers repeated her best routines constantly is that they were often used on other shows when she guested so that's why we tired of them, it was always easier for them to rewrite a gimmicky situation rather than create something new and different for her. And as crappy as the Bob Hope show sketches were, i still would like to see all of teh ones she did, not to mention all the musical numbers she did on other people's shows or specials over the decades.

Any footage of Wildcat would be amazing! You read so much about it in the books, it would be great to see some ACTUAL footage!

Behind-the-scenes footage from I Love Lucy. Ie. Rehearsing, Desi behind the camera etc.

But sadly I dont think this kind of thing was ever filmed, apart from that one opening scene that was put in the I Love Lucy movie of Desi introducing the cast.

• 1 month later...

* Life with Lucy (her final series)

* All of the appearances she made on various talk shows. I watched some of them on youtube and they were quite insightful and informative. It was nice to see her talk about her professional and personal life, her television series and co-stars, and other topics. Some of them had me laugh and cry.

* All of the tributes of Lucy (before and after her death).

* All of the appearances she made on various game shows. She did quite a few of them.

* The entire run of My Favorite Husband (her 40s radio series).

* The entire run of Let's Talk To Lucy (her 60s radio series - Lucy interviews various stars).

* Any award shows she appeared on.

* Dean Martin roasting Lucille Ball on his show.

* Ect.

* Life with Lucy (her final series)

* All of the appearances she made on various talk shows. I watched some of them on youtube and they were quite insightful and informative. It was nice to see her talk about her professional and personal life, her television series and co-stars, and other topics. Some of them had me laugh and cry.

* All of the tributes of Lucy (before and after her death).

* All of the appearances she made on various game shows. She did quite a few of them.

* The entire run of My Favorite Husband (her 40s radio series).

* The entire run of Let's Talk To Lucy (her 60s radio series - Lucy interviews various stars).

* Any award shows she appeared on.

* Ect.

At least we're getting the Let's Talk to Lucy shows on some of her season releases of her shows. As for ehr guest shots, many of them are now seeing the light of day as other people's material is being releasedf and her appearances on their shows are sometimes included on these.

1-Want to see the original negatives of the original I Love Lucy pilot.:professor:

2-The deleted scene where Lucy tries on diffrent disguises from "L.A. At Last" (Unfortunetly is was distroyed).:lucyeww:

3-Would LOVE to see color pics from I Love Lucy's 10 year run. "10" years! There has to be color pics we haven't seen somewhere.:lucydisgust:

4-I really want to see again Little Rick and Desi Jr. on the Dinah Shore show in the late 50's which was taped in color. :lucyhorror:

5-Last (actually there's more but I'll end it here) :lucyhmm: I want to know what was the actual color of the Heart on satin!

According to "Forever Darling", the satin background was blue. But the Scotland ep. it was a reddish color. :lucyshy:

1-Want to see the original negatives of the original I Love Lucy pilot.:professor:

2-The deleted scene where Lucy tries on diffrent disguises from "L.A. At Last" (Unfortunetly is was distroyed).:lucyeww:

3-Would LOVE to see color pics from I Love Lucy's 10 year run. "10" years! There has to be color pics we haven't seen somewhere.:lucydisgust:

4-I really want to see again Little Rick and Desi Jr. on the Dinah Shore show in the late 50's which was taped in color. :lucyhorror:

5-Last (actually there's more but I'll end it here) :lucyhmm: I want to know what was the actual color of the Heart on satin!

According to "Forever Darling", the satin background was blue. But the Scotland ep. it was a reddish color. :lucyshy:

WOW, you sure came up with some ORIGINAL and seldom mentionned ones there.

#1 would be pretty tough anyway since it was shot "live" and filmed only as a kinescope! There really wasn't anything to edit, unless they filmed a dress rehearsal but I doubt it.

lucyshock.JPG

Of course, they had no idea they were filming or rather kinescoping the most popular sitcom of all time.

• 1 month later...

My name is Kevin I'm a big Lucille Ball fan

I'm just curious, if there any unreleased camera footage & angles out the on AVI or VHS Tape or Laserdisc Release

from I Love lucy Season 1 The Lost I Love Lucy Pilot -

Season 9 of the Lucy Desi Comedy Hour Lucy Meets The Mustache ?

If you find something like that on the internet or youtube please upload it for me.

I just bought The I Love Lucy Movie off Amazon.com

so I can see the unreleased camera angle footage

I hope we will get her guest spot on "The Practice" on the Here's Lucy sets (s6 I would guess)

What was "The Practice"? I would love to see it! I really liked her guest shot on the color Danny Thomas Show.. although I think the print was a bit faded (some scenes her hair is pink!).. I really liked her in that.. she was very funny, very pretty and dare I say.. NOT AT ALL ANNOYING!! (to me anyway)

What was "The Practice"? I would love to see it! I really liked her guest shot on the color Danny Thomas Show.. although I think the print was a bit faded (some scenes her hair is pink!).. I really liked her in that.. she was very funny, very pretty and dare I say.. NOT AT ALL ANNOYING!! (to me anyway)

The Practice was Danny Thomas' last series, and he was a doctor and Lucy guested to help the ratings but the show folded rather fast anyway.

The Practice was Danny Thomas' last series, and he was a doctor and Lucy guested to help the ratings but the show folded rather fast anyway.

Just saw it for the first time since it aired here at one of the Paley programs for the anniversary, and it was better/funnier than I remembered, kinda touching too, at least at the end. The print however was obviously a VHS dub, it looked pretty bad.

In comparison, also on this same program was her wundaful turn in "Greatest Show on Earth", which had a print which looked brand new! It was so clear and bright -- perhaps readied for DVD release? I dunno but it looked as good as The Lucy Show DVD eps are! -- that in one scene for example, you could make out, in profile, where here face makeup stopped and her (much paler!) skin began!! Marred only by the use of an obvious guy in a bear suit in the episode's most "scary" (ostensibly) scene in which the bear attacks one of the crew about to feed him, the show boasts the talents of not only the Lady herself but the young and talented Billy Mumy, a then-hunky Jack Palance and a host of familiar character actor folks, including Roger C. Carmel ("Mothers-in-Law"), Irene Tedrow ("Bonanza"; "The Mary Tyler Moore Show") and Robert F. Simon ("Bewitched").

The Zsa Zsa talk show pilot however was the biggest oddity: It has to be one of the weirdest shows ever put to videotape that I've ever seen! La Ball looked sensational and of course, came off better than anyone else on the show (Marty Allen, Adam "Batman" West), including Gabor herself.

:lucysmirk:

Just saw it for the first time since it aired here at one of the Paley programs for the anniversary, and it was better/funnier than I remembered, kinda touching too, at least at the end. The print however was obviously a VHS dub, it looked pretty bad.

In comparison, also on this same program was her wundaful turn in "Greatest Show on Earth", which had a print which looked brand new! It was so clear and bright -- perhaps readied for DVD release? I dunno but it looked as good as The Lucy Show DVD eps are! -- that in one scenef for example, you could make out, in profile, where here face makeup stopped and her (much paler!) skin began!! Marred only by the use of an obvious guy in a bear suit in the episodes most "scary" (ostensibly) scene in which the bear attacks one of the crew about to feed him, the show boasts the talents of not only the Lady herself but the young and talented Billy Mumy, a then-hunky Jack Palance and a host of familiar character actor folks, including Roger C. Carmel ("Mothers-in-Law"), Irene Tedrow ("Bonanza"; "The Mary Tyler Moore Show") and Robert F. Simon ("Bewitched").

:lucysmirk:

I think you may be right, they are readying the show to be an added bonus on one of the next four releases.

The Dean Martin roast is on dvd; it's part of a subscription series by Time-Life but you can usually buy it at Amazon.com's marketplace on a dvd with the Danny Thomas roast.

http://www.amazon.com/Harrison-Presents-Martin-Celebrity-Roasts/dp/B000K3QFOM/ref=sr_1_2?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1316577260&sr=1-2

• 2 years later...

Archived