Michael Stern, Poundstone IN -- Whitney Cummings OUT

Michael Stern has been added to the roster of guests at Lucy's 100th Birthday Celebration this August. He will be hosting the Trivia Contest on the Thursday and will have book signings throughout the event. He also hopes to have a breakfast event scheduled.

It was also announced today that comedienne Paula Poundstone is replacing the previously scheduled guest Whitney Cummings:

As we reported in April, fast-rising stand-up comedian Whitney Cummings was one of a handful of headliners scheduled to appear at the first ever Lucille Ball Comedy Festival in Jamestown, NY. Since that time, however, Cummings has landed two network television gigs and will therefore be unable to perform. Festival producers have secured legendary comic Paula Poundstone to take the place of Cummings.

“For a comedian to get a pilot picked up by a network is a very big deal, but to get two pilots picked up, by two major networks at the same time, is unprecedented,” said Journey Gunderson, Executive Director of the Lucy Desi Center for Comedy. “We sought to catch someone on the way up, whose career was on the rise, and in that sense could not have been more spot-on in our selection of Cummings. We gave Cummings the green light just before NBC and CBS did the same. Unfortunately their traffic lights are a bit bigger than ours.”

Cummings will star in, write and produce the multi-camera sitcom Whitney and she’ll be writing and co-producing the CBS show 2 Broke Girls.

In addition to Poundstone, the likes of Joan Rivers will headline the festival. Up and coming comedians Nate Bargatze and Christina Paszitsky are also scheduled to perform. You can check out a full list or programming at lucycomedyfest.com.

http://punchlinemagazine.com/blog/2011/06/paula-poundstone-replaces-whitney-cummings-in-lucille-ball-comedy-festival

More on the schedule change:

Whitney Cummings is out. Paula Poundstone is in.

Cummings, originally scheduled to perform at the Reg Lenna Civic Center on Aug. 6 during Lucille Ball's 100th birthday celebration, was forced to cancel due to commitments coming from having two upcoming sitcoms in the fall.

"For a comedian to get a pilot picked up by a network is a very big deal, but to get two pilots picked up by two major networks at the same time is unprecedented," said Journey Gunderson, executive director of the Lucy Desi Center for Comedy.

Cummings has landed two sitcoms simultaneously with network giants NBC and CBS that prevent her from performing in the Lucille Ball Comedy Festival Aug 3-7. Cummings will write both shows, while also starring in the series for NBC, called "Whitney."

"We sought to catch someone on the way up, whose career was on the rise, and in that sense could not have been more spot-on in our selection of Cummings,'' Gunderson said. ''We gave Cummings the green light just before NBC and CBS did the same. Unfortunately their traffic lights are a bit bigger than ours."

Instead of Cummings, joining Joan Rivers as a headliner during the birthday celebration will be Poundstone, a veteran stand-up comedienne. The weekend will also include critically acclaimed kids comedy show Story Pirates on Saturday, and a showcase of rising comics Nate Bargatze, Christina Paszitsky and others Aug. 5. Rivers will perform Aug. 4 and Poundstone on Aug. 6.

Rivers' tickets range from $30 to $60 - all $70 rows have already sold out. Poundstone tickets will be $15 to $30. Buyers of tickets to both shows receive a complimentary ticket to the $15 Aug. 5 Rooftop Comic Showcase featuring Bargatze, Paszitsky and others, as well as a complimentary admission pass to the Desilu Playhouse and Museum dual attractions.

According to a release by the Lucy Desi Center, Cummings expressed particular regret at the cancellation of the date, citing Lucille Ball as a hero of hers and a main reason she got into comedy. NBC has put Cummings on a rigorous promotional schedule throughout August that requires she spend every weekend writing scripts between now and the launch of each series. August dates were cancelled in major markets Atlantic City and Las Vegas in addition to Jamestown.

Ticket holders for Cummings' cancelled show have the option for refunds or exchange and should contact the Lucy Desi Center at 484-0800 or the Reg Lenna box office at 484-7070.

http://post-journal.com/page/content.detail/id/585830/Poundstone-In.html?nav=5057

As long as they have the great Joan Rivers as the Headliner, they really don't need anyone else, she is the greatest living stand up comic still working today.

True, but at what did I hear? $1,000 to attend her show -- and on a Thursday night, yet! -- how many "average fans" can swing that? I certainly can't! lucyhorror.JPG

As long as they have the great Joan Rivers as the Headliner, they really don't need anyone else, she is the greatest living stand up comic still working today.

My vote for that goes to Rickles.

True, but at what did I hear? $1,000 to attend her show -- and on a Thursday night, yet! -- how many "average fans" can swing that? I certainly can't! lucyhorror.JPG

Tickets for Joan's show range from $30 to $70. You have to fork over $1,000 if you want a meet and greet afterwards. :lucyshock:

Nope, i read it's 30 to 70 per ticket with all the 70 dollar ones gone already. A thousand bucks is if you want to have sex with her after the show.

My vote for that goes to Rickles.

Ok, then, Rickles for men and Rivers for women. But although i love and never miss Rickles either, Joan is a lot funnier. His attack dog shtick faded in appeal years ago, now it's just repetitive, whereas she is always topical and i have never watched her without laughing at at least a few of ehr jokes, she is vicious like him but way funnier. And let's face it, you can see him in some clubs and on tv sometimes, whereas Joan has had two reality series going on, plays everywhere, had a hit documentary on her, does her fashion police shows and had her red carpet interviews and now she's finally allowed on late night shows again after years of absence. I loved it when the BOY's club of nightime hosts allowed her in again, it was Letterman who askked her on a few weeks ago and she came on with some of her husband's ashes saying she put some underneath his desk telling him that Edgar was finally on late night again after that debacle with Fox and his suicide. Odd but potent. You'd also have loved her dig at Leno in an interview when she said he is great at putting people to sleep. When someone in the audience groaned, she barked WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU LAUGHED AT ONE OF HIS JOKES? :marionstrong::marionstrong::marionstrong::marionstrong::marionstrong:

Joey: I believe we 'established' that a new membership category was put in place: Headliner - $1,000 - but, that covers many things, for the person who chooses to 'join' for that category.

The Post-Journal says, as of yesterday, the tickets for Rivers are in stages starting at $30-$60, high-end. The $70 rows are 'sold out' already.

Fondly, JK

Joey: I believe we 'established' that a new membership category was put in place: Headliner - $1,000 - but, that covers many things, for the person who chooses to 'join' for that category.

The Post-Journal says, as of yesterday, the tickets for Rivers are in stages starting at $30-$60, high-end. The $70 rows are 'sold out' already.

Fondly, JK

Sorry folks if I misread that somewhere, but personally I still find many things about this upcoming "event" ridiculous and not really geared to the subject at hand, which should be the celebration of the life and career of our beloved Miss Ball!!

Having done the schlep from the west coast to Jamestown, I'm here to tell you it ain't pretty...but then, I guess cross country travel these days is no picnic anyways!! But to plan a "major draw" such as Joan Rivers for an event like this is pure stupidity IMHO, I don't care how much/little the tickets are, whether you're just going to see her perform or laying out the big bucks to do the meet and greet with her!

Why wasn't this scheduled for a Friday or Saturday night as a HIGHLIGHT so that many more people could attend?? It just doesn't make sense to me. Not everyone can get off work and/or plan to travel and also pay for additional nights accommodations, not to mention rental cars, more meals etc., to be able to be there by Thursday!! WTF?? I would have loved to have gone but for those reasons alone, I'm not going to bother.

Maybe next time! ;)

Sorry folks if I misread that somewhere, but personally I still find many things about this upcoming "event" ridiculous and not really geared to the subject at hand, which should be the celebration of the life and career of our beloved Miss Ball!!

Having done the schlep from the west coast to Jamestown, I'm here to tell you it ain't pretty...but then, I guess cross country travel these days is no picnic anyways!! But to plan a "major draw" such as Joan Rivers for an event like this is pure stupidity IMHO, I don't care how much/little the tickets are, whether you're just going to see her perform or laying out the big bucks to do the meet and greet with her!

Why wasn't this scheduled for a Friday or Saturday night as a HIGHLIGHT so that many more people could attend?? It just doesn't make sense to me. Not everyone can get off work and/or plan to travel and also pay for additional nights accommodations, not to mention rental cars, more meals etc., to be able to be there by Thursday!! WTF?? I would have loved to have gone but for those reasons alone, I'm not going to bother.

Maybe next time! ;)

Relax, i hear they're negotiating with Agness Schmidlapp for the Saturday show as we speak. Irving Lipshitz is being touted as a possible opening act too!

Maybe next time! ;)

Perhaps Joan has commitments on the weekend?

Archived