I love Viv too!

So I am obviously a huge fan of Lucille Ball but I am also a huge fan of Vivian Vance. I think she deserves so much more credit than she gets and I wish they had more books and memorabilia dedicated to her. I have the book "The Other Side of Ethel Mertz" but I was wondering if anyone knew about anything else Viv related and how you feel about the amount of credit she gets. :viv1:

Hi, Ilovelucy1992!

I agree, Viv was so talented & I'm a fan of hers as well, as you can tell by my handle :marionstrong:

I just went to another part of this thread to copy & paste a link for you to part of Viv's memoirs -- but I saw that you posted the original link :D .

A while back I read a magazine article she wrote about her mental health breakdown & recovery. I'm sorry I don't remember where I read that ... (Does anyone else here know where to find that for ilovelucy1992?)

I've read both books mentioned here & would be thrilled if Viv's autobiography ever gets published. :viv1:

So I am obviously a huge fan of Lucille Ball but I am also a huge fan of Vivian Vance. I think she deserves so much more credit than she gets and I wish they had more books and memorabilia dedicated to her. I have the book "The Other Side of Ethel Mertz" but I was wondering if anyone knew about anything else Viv related and how you feel about the amount of credit she gets. :viv1:

Hi: Vivian is interviewed about her life; and, in an article in McCall's Magazine, May 1955, speaks to a breakdown she suffered, and her winning a National Award from the N.A. of Mental Health, for which she volunteered her services over several years. Good luck in your personal research; it's been an 'eye-opener' and 'pleasant addiction' for me, for the past 6+ years, and before, while I was nearly a full-time volunteer for the Lucille Ball-Desi Arnaz Museum in Jamestown NY.

'leenorman'

• 3 months later...

Vivian is without a doubt THE ACTRESS... She is always in character.. always believable and I watch her more than LUCY now.. I just adore Miss Vance... She makes them all look soooo good!.. I have said before in another thread.. on The Lucy Show.. when LUCY is riding by the train on horseback, Viv's expressions are PRICELESS!!!! I really wish she stayed around because if I am honest with myself.. I only like Lucille's shows when Viv is on with her.. I want to get Lucy Calls the President because I want to see Vivian in action.. and I want to see that Rhoda episode where she is the guest star... YUP, sadly she is underrated and underappreciated... THAT is why Lucille wanted her to be with her as often as she could because she knew Vivian was TERRIFFIC!! Didn't Lucille say that when she watched I Love Lucy she watched Vivian?? I think she said that.. I love Vivian and am glad others do too!

Vivian is without a doubt THE ACTRESS... She is always in character.. always believable and I watch her more than LUCY now.. I just adore Miss Vance... She makes them all look soooo good!.. I have said before in another thread.. on The Lucy Show.. when LUCY is riding by the train on horseback, Viv's expressions are PRICELESS!!!! I really wish she stayed around because if I am honest with myself.. I only like Lucille's shows when Viv is on with her.. I want to get Lucy Calls the President because I want to see Vivian in action.. and I want to see that Rhoda episode where she is the guest star... YUP, sadly she is underrated and underappreciated... THAT is why Lucille wanted her to be with her as often as she could because she knew Vivian was TERRIFFIC!! Didn't Lucille say that when she watched I Love Lucy she watched Vivian?? I think she said that.. I love Vivian and am glad others do too!

I wish Viv stayed on the show too :( but definitely get Lucy Calls the President!! Viv actually had a stroke when they were on set and in the show you can kind of see how half her face was paralyzed from it. I think her facial expressions were HILARIOUS!! Yea Lucy had said that whenever she would watch an episode she would never laugh at herself..but she always watched Viv and laughed at her jokes and Desi and Fred too. I just adore her! And the Rhoda episode is very funny! here is the link for it..http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrwXnoP-Vc4

and if you haven't you should read Vivian Vance The Other Side of Ethel Mertz..it's a very good biography and tells a lot you probably didn't know about her

I wish Viv stayed on the show too :( but definitely get Lucy Calls the President!! Viv actually had a stroke when they were on set and in the show you can kind of see how half her face was paralyzed from it. I think her facial expressions were HILARIOUS!! Yea Lucy had said that whenever she would watch an episode she would never laugh at herself..but she always watched Viv and laughed at her jokes and Desi and Fred too. I just adore her! And the Rhoda episode is very funny! here is the link for it..http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrwXnoP-Vc4

and if you haven't you should read Vivian Vance The Other Side of Ethel Mertz..it's a very good biography and tells a lot you probably didn't know about her

Thanks for the RHODA link! AND I have THE OTHER SIDE OF ETHEL MERTZ and have read it to death too!!!!!

• 2 months later...

It's absurd that Vivian only won a single Emmy but then Lucy only won three which is beyond ridiculous. They were really stingy with the Emmys in the late 50s/early 60s giving out only a few each year while today they give them for best kid in a soap opera and other nutty categories.

Vivian was indeed popular though with audiences; I have an old issue of TV Radio Mirror somewhere from circa 1963 where she was the readers' choice for "Best Supporting Actress" on television (Shirley Booth beat Lucy that year for "Best Actress" as she also would do in the Emmy competition.)

Archived