They Love Lucy: Celebrity Lucy Fans

Brock

Ok, it's definite then, i'm watching Mad Men's next season, darlin Elizabeth sold me.

Late to the party as always but I've just begun watching Mad Men on Blu-ray and I must say it is so beautifully produced that its stunning!! :D

I must have been half asleep when I first tried to watch it (and couldn't get into it) but now I can watch 2 or 3 in a row and am riveted the whole time. ;)

I love that Bewitched, Jeannie, and Partridge Family got mentions and MTM got SEVERAL! Mary rocks! :HALKING:

Late to the party as always but I've just begun watching Mad Men on Blu-ray and I must say it is so beautifully produced that its stunning!! :D

Oh good! Does that mean I can have someone else to do a Mad Men live chat when Season Four resumes in March? LOL

I'm glad some of you guys are finally seeing the glory that is Mad Men. :D

Oh good! Does that mean I can have someone else to do a Mad Men live chat when Season Four resumes in March? LOL

I'm glad some of you guys are finally seeing the glory that is Mad Men. :D

For me, it was just the fact that it was on a busy viewing night and being on cable one of those shows that you never know when it's ON, then i missed the first couple of seasons, then again, the same thing happened with Dexter, Weeds, True Blood, you get so sick of hearing about them that you finally seek them out and sit down and watch them. To see what the frigin fuss is all about.

• 3 weeks later...

The newest celebrity Lucy fan is 2 Broke Girls star Beth Behrs:

http://delcotimes.com/articles/2011/10/03/entertainment/doc4e891714a4d7b294877259.txt?viewmode=fullstory

Behrs has good taste in idols and seems to gravitate towards redheads. In addition to [Julie] Andrews, her favorites since childhood are Lucille Ball and Carol Burnett.

“I would never miss ‘The Carol Burnett Show.’ Carol could do so much. She sang, she acted brilliantly in comedy sketches, and she was so easy with the audience. I’ve read her biography. She is special.

“‘I Love Lucy’ is a national treasure, and Lucille Ball is so funny and such an amazing character.”

Billy Van Zandt -- writer, and husband of Adrienne Barbosom -- has spoken once again on his admiration for Lucy:

If Lucy Ricardo were alive today, she would be first in line for a spot on “American Idol” and “Everyone’s Got Talent,” says Billy Van Zandt, who knew and worked with Lucille Ball toward the end of her life.

“It’s the ‘I want to be in show biz,’ ‘I want to be famous,’ the ‘notice-me’ mentality,” he says, referring to the many schemes Lucy pulled trying to get into show business or one of her band leader husband’s night club shows.

Van Zandt who, with writing partner Jane Milmore, was nominated for an Emmy Award for the TV special “I Love Lucy: The Very First Show.” They both grew up in Monmouth County and maintain homes here and in Los Angeles where they work as writers, producers and actors.

In what resembles the perfect storm for local Lucy lovers, several events honoring the red-headed comedian will be taking place during the next few weeks in Beach Haven, Toms River and on TV.

“She was simply the funniest performer of the last 60 years,” Van Zandt says. “Nobody can match her laugh for laugh. She didn’t rely on jokes, or camera angles or tricks. It was her natural ability and rhythm.”

And, she relied on her writers.

“The writers tried not to put any current references into their scripts,” he says. “Besides the clothes, her character is current and I think that’s one reason why ‘I Love Lucy’ resonates today. Young kids today who watch the reruns get it.”

http://www.mycentraljersey.com/article/B3/20111006/NJENT02/310060004/Celebrate-Lucille-Ball-s-life-3-different-ways

• 5 months later...

Add Ice T and Coco to the list. And mind the headline.

http://www.digitalspy.ca/ustv/interviews/a374088/ice-t-and-coco-interview-they-had-to-sonogram-her-arse.html

(This is certainly unexpected...but nowhere near as unexpected as learning Snoop Dogg's favourite show is Keeping Up Appearances. :hlLOL: )

YIKES! No comment! They :vanda::sid: are a poor man's version of :lucydesi:

• 2 months later...

Julia Louis Dreyfus:

She says she can't remember contracting the showbiz bug, but her childhood idols were the women of American comedy. "I adored the obvious ones: Lucille Ball, Vivian Vance, Mary Tyler Moore, tons of women, Madeline Kahn, Teri Garr. Oh, and Diane Keaton." She went crazy for the films of Preston Sturges, whose female stars were always both funny and sexy. And it was while studying theatre, at Northwestern, that she met her future husband and frequent collaborator Brad Hall, to whom she has been married for 25 years. They have two sons, aged 15 and 20.

SOURCE: http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/2012/jun/15/julia-louis-dreyfus-veep-iannucci?newsfeed=true

• 1 month later...

Betty gave Lucy a shout-out in an interview today with The Huffington Post:

There's been a lot of discussion lately regarding women in comedy and women in TV. What's your current assessment of that discussion?

Well, there used to be a belief that women who were good looking couldn't be funny. Lucille Ball came along and fixed that. I think -- I've never been gender-oriented, I think now we're less gender-oriented than we've ever been. I think you can be anything and still find a place in this medium.

INTERVIEW: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/08/betty-white-emmy-nomination-off-their-rockers_n_1754043.html?utm_hp_ref=mostpopular

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Makes me love Bette Midler even more but that Oprah's another story, why couldn't she have ever had Lucy on her show over all those years? When Lucy was known to watch Oprah every day.

I know Claude - I've said the same thing before. I even started a thread about Oprah years ago and the same thing was bought up! It's pathetic! The way Oprah reacts when Bette says Lucy you almost get the impression that Oprah doesn't even know who the hell she is! :lucydisgust:

I know Claude - I've said the same thing before. I even started a thread about Oprah years ago and the same thing was bought up! It's pathetic! The way Oprah reacts when Bette says Lucy you almost get the impression that Oprah doesn't even know who the hell she is! :lucydisgust:

Oprah definitely knows who Lucy is. She has had Lucie on the show and talked about how big a fan she is and how she has the episodes on tape (this was 1997). The Oprah Winfrey Show started in 1986. This was the same time Lucy stopped doing talk shows. The show was also taped in Chicago and I doubt Lucy made it out there in the last three years of her life. Lucy wasn't appearing on any talk shows at the time.

Puhhleeeeeeeeeeeeeeze, Oprah and the entire US population knew who Lucy was, then and now. Harry's comments explain to us perfectly WHY she was never ON with the Opster.