Sign in to follow this  
Brock

They Love Lucy: Celebrity Lucy Fans

Luvsbway    2,022
46 minutes ago, HarryCarter said:

Liza Minnelli and Michael Feinstein salute Lucy for her birthday. 

I saw that pop up yesterday and thought, how sweet. 

• Like 1

Freddie2    837

I read a recent interview where Lindsay Mendez, this year's Tony winner for Best Featured Actress in a Musical, cites Lucy's work (including her MGM stuff!) as a great inspiration. 

Freddie2    837
Just now, Freddie2 said:

I read a recent interview where Lindsay Mendez, this year's Tony winner for Best Featured Actress in a Musical, cites Lucy's work (including her MGM stuff!) as a great inspiration. 

Random Lindsay Mendez-related anecdote that I just remembered:

Mendez won the Tony for her great performance in the revival of Carousel (she was certainly the best actress of the bunch). When I saw the revival, the great Renee Fleming made her entrance to thunderous applause and started to sing "June Is Bustin' Out All Over". My brain immediately froze, and I thought "Oh my gosh! Renee Fleming forgot the lyrics and she's ad-libbing!" But that wasn't the case. I only thought she was singing the wrong lyrics because I'm more familiar with Leslie Uggams' stellar rendition than I am with the actual, correct words. When "rum and river rishes" didn't pass through my ear, I thought something had gone very wrong.

Luvsbway    2,022
44 minutes ago, Freddie2 said:

Wow, even the MGM work, cool!

Luvsbway    2,022

I can't believe this quick clip is making the rounds like it is. If you listen to what Ricki says, she never even talked to Lucy. Geez, give the lady a break. And who cares if she was smoking, that's what she did. Ricki makes it sound like Lucy came in, acted like some diva and yelled at all of them. 

• Confused 1

HarryCarter    1,032
On September 9, 2018 at 2:38 PM, Freddie2 said:

"Lily of the Valley" is part of Lindsay Mendez's cabaret reptioire. 

Brock    3,346
On 11/22/2018 at 10:45 PM, HarryCarter said:

"Lily of the Valley" is part of Lindsay Mendez's cabaret reptioire. 

That's pretty amazing! She has exquisite taste.

• Like 1

Mot Morenzi    1,482
1 hour ago, HarryCarter said:

P!nk and her husband dressed as Lucy and Ricky for a “Famous Couples” costume party. 

She went from Pink to Red 

• Like 1

Luvsbway    2,022
10 hours ago, Mot Morenzi said:

She went from Pink to Red 

I look more like Lucy on a daily basis. How is her guy "Ricky" besides he put on a tux?

Mot Morenzi    1,482
57 minutes ago, Luvsbway said:

I look more like Lucy on a daily basis. How is her guy "Ricky" besides he put on a tux?

Puffy sleeves and a bongo drum would've made it more obvious.

• Haha 1

Luvsbway    2,022
5 hours ago, Mot Morenzi said:

Puffy sleeves and a bongo drum would've made it more obvious.

And she needed some polka dots. No one really gets Lucy until you add the polka dots. 

• Like 1

Freddie2    837

5 hours ago, Luvsbway said:

And she needed some polka dots. No one really gets Lucy until you add the polka dots. 

At the very least she did a decent job of capturing the Lucy Ricardo makeup. And the broach is a nice touch. I see miniature train tracks in the background; was this taken at your house:lucythrill:

Luvsbway    2,022
13 hours ago, Freddie2 said:

At the very least she did a decent job of capturing the Lucy Ricardo makeup. And the broach is a nice touch. I see miniature train tracks in the background; was this taken at your house:lucythrill:

I only have garden size tracks currently set up at my house. 

• Haha 1

Neil    1,334
18 hours ago, Brock said:

How interesting.   The Lucy Show, one of the biggest hits of the 60s,  doesn't get much respect, but WHICH Lucy Show is Laura talking about?  It was almost a different show every season.   The first 2 years were consistently funny and intelligently written, but year one was more Lucy and Viv; year 2:  more Lucy and Mooney.  Year 3: Too many freelance writers to make for a consistent tone, so I don't count it as one of the "Danfield years" seasons, at least on a par with the first 2.   Year 4: Move to California, but Lucy still retained that sweetness we love her for; Year 5: started out well but by the end, plots were being stretched and more musical episodes appeared  (e.g. "Tennessee Ernie" "Mainstreet") and that carried over into year 6.   Season 6 is unrecognizable as the same series as season 1.  To illustrate, imagine "Lucy and Carol in Stewardess's Graduation Musical" plunked down in the middle of season 1.  Only "The Doris Day Show" went through more format changes, but TDDS was never a hit.  As Candy Moore said upon learning of the season 4 change of format "We were a hit show!!"

Freddie2    837

In a recent New Yorker interview, Jane Curtin talks about growing up and seeing trailblazing women in comedy on television including Lucy, Eve Arden, Betty White (Life With Elizabeth gets a mention) and Cara Williams