They Love Lucy: Celebrity Lucy Fans

Brock

I thought Lucie's appearance on her old talk show was rather good. Oprah is doing a lot of these one on one celeb interviews now. I haven't caught much on OWN (other then Lisa Ling's very good doc series), but I'll have to check out the rerun on this to see if she brings up her failed sitcom.

Just looked up tonight's show, just in case, it's her FAVORITE THINGS.

Oprah definitely knows who Lucy is. She has had Lucie on the show and talked about how big a fan she is and how she has the episodes on tape (this was 1997). The Oprah Winfrey Show started in 1986. This was the same time Lucy stopped doing talk shows. The show was also taped in Chicago and I doubt Lucy made it out there in the last three years of her life. Lucy wasn't appearing on any talk shows at the time.

Why did Lucy stop doing talk shows from 1986? Was it because of the failure with Life With Lucy?

I can't make out what Bette says around the 36 second mark. "She came to the..." ? Trailer?

I've played it back over and over and it sounds like maybe the VENUE where Lucy saw her playing, maybe the Trocadaro or something like that. I'm more concerned with the "Lucy was so tall", the tallest person i ever saw. Maybe she was sitting when Lucy came in to meet her?

I've played it back over and over and it sounds like maybe the VENUE where Lucy saw her playing, maybe the Trocadaro or something like that. I'm more concerned with the "Lucy was so tall", the tallest person i ever saw. Maybe she was sitting when Lucy came in to meet her?

LOL! I know - that seemed strange when she said that. Unfortunately though I am unable to watch it for some reason now - it's been removed from Australian YouTube when I click on it :(

I can't make out what Bette says around the 36 second mark. "She came to the..." ? Trailer?

Yes, "trailer". And this never aired on the actual program. It's a featured "webisode" on Okra's site, along with a few other clips:

Exclusive Webisode: Bette Midler's Memorable Meeting with Lucille Ball

Where does a legendary funny woman find inspiration? For Bette Midler, it was Lucille Ball, the star of her all-time favorite TV show, I Love Lucy. Watch as Bette reveals intimate details about the time she visited Lucille's home for a once-in-a-lifetime game of Scrabble.

http://www.oprah.com...le-Ball-Video_1

Yes, "trailer". And this never aired on the actual program. It's a featured "webisode" on Okra's site, along with a few other clips:

Exclusive Webisode: Bette Midler's Memorable Meeting with Lucille Ball

Where does a legendary funny woman find inspiration? For Bette Midler, it was Lucille Ball, the star of her all-time favorite TV show, I Love Lucy. Watch as Bette reveals intimate details about the time she visited Lucille's home for a once-in-a-lifetime game of Scrabble.

http://www.oprah.com...le-Ball-Video_1

Great 'stuff' to feed to the chronology - thanks for sharing...JK

Of course, she thought her fans had deserted her, they didn`t love her anymore. She thanked God for the Kennedy Center Honors a few weeks later, ever notice how stunned she is at the ovation she gets there.

So sad.. :( I wonder how things would be if they never did that show. Would've saved her a lot of heartache and disappointment.

Yes, as work was her life and that was the last major work she did. Fearing her fans did not love her anymore and being called names in the papers with The Queen is Dead headlines, that killed her a lot faster than the burst aorta. :lucyblah::lucymeh::gasp:

Amen to that. She lived to work, I bet she would've kept more healthy also.

I wonder how Lucy would feel now with the love that remains for her, especially younger generations. She probably would be just as humble and grateful.

I've watched that thing over and over and can't get OVER how great Bette looks there. Great story too.

Yes, one of O's better interviews with The Divine Miss M but I think (biased that I am!) she should have been the whole hour -- her career, life as Mom & wife, work restoring NYC parks all could have been lengthened, elaborated on. Nothing against Miss Simpson but Bette is worthy of her own full hour!

professor.JPG

Yes, one of O's better interviews with The Divine Miss M but I think (biased that I am!) she should have been the whole hour -- her career, life as Mom & wife, work restoring NYC parks all could have been lengthened, elaborated on. Nothing against Miss Simpson but Bette is worthy of her own full hour!

professor.JPG

Oh definitely, she's had a fascinating life too, great career, ups and downs, gay icon, movies, her foray into TV, her marriage to a performance artist and daughter who looks exactly like her, well, the old her anyway. And you forgot her famous Halloween parties. In Hawaii no less.

• 6 months later...

Add Patricia Clarkson to the list.

Tom Hanks, Jesse Tyler Ferguson, Ari Graynorand Martha Plimpton performed at the Lapham’s Quarterly 1950s Decades Ball at Capitale on Monday. “Lincoln” writer Tony Kushner read William Faulkner’s 1950 Nobel Peace Prize speech, joking, “I’d like to thank the academy. Wait, wrong speech.” Hanks performed a scene from Hitchcock’s “North by Northwest,” at the Montblanc event with Patricia Clarkson, who told us her favorite thing about the decade was “I Love Lucy.”

http://www.nypost.com/p/pagesix/celebrated_eRA8i3RDijbsaue5HNCgIJ#.UbCfYiHzpmw.email

• Like 1

I feel bad joking about her, I don't think and this is just MHO but not sure all her behavior is drug-induced but perhaps also/or mental issues, you know? So I don't feel jumping on the poking fun bandwagon just yet till we find out (if ever) what's really going on with her. Whatever the issue(s) is/are, I think it's certainly a sad huge waste of what once was a very talented young individual. Such a waste! :lucyblah:

I feel bad joking about her, I don't think and this is just MHO but not sure all her behavior is drug-induced but perhaps also/or mental issues, you know? So I don't feel jumping on the poking fun bandwagon just yet till we find out (if ever) what's really going on with her. Whatever the issue(s) is/are, I think it's certainly a sad huge waste of what once was a very talented young individual. Such a waste! :lucyblah:

Might be a long wait, we're still trying to find out hat the hell Lohan's problem is.