They Love Lucy: Celebrity Lucy Fans

Brock

Okay, then; this is from reading her lips????  If it's accurate, and NOT a fan, I can't justify giving her the line in the chronology....

Brian????    Loving you, JK :fabrary:

I think the captions are derived from software that interprets speech into text. But it's not very intuitive, especially with people who speak fast, as Britton does in this interview. Rest assured, she named Lucille Ball as an influence, the only thing wrong was the caption.

And yes, Brian is my name.

• Like 1

T

I think the captions are derived from software that interprets speech into text. But it's not very intuitive, especially with people who speak fast, as Britton does in this interview. Rest assured, she named Lucille Ball as an influence, the only thing wrong was the caption.

And yes, Brian is my name.

Thanks Brian!! Should be clear now. I'm still cracking up how the cc for "Lucille Ball" got "reimagined" into "steel balls"!! :blink:

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Bob Dylan!

Who among us, for instance, would guess that Dylan might be an “I Love Lucy” devotee? Surely the poet of the working class must have tastes geared more towards the gritty and mysterious, but no: Asked by Flanagan what shows he watched on the tour bus, Dylan responded, with brisk enthusiasm, “‘I Love Lucy,’ all the time, non-stop.”

Read more: http://forward.com/culture/366874/bob-dylan-reveals-love-for-amy-winehouse-i-love-lucy-and-possibly-kabbalah/

• 4 weeks later...

Laura Dern owns the Vitametavegamin dress. This is the first I heard it still is around.

http://www.architecturaldigest.com/story/laura-derns-rustic-los-angeles-home-is-a-film-buffs-dream

In her closet—which went from a typical 1950s-style miniscule wardrobe to a walk-in upon renovation—hangs the dress Lucille Ball wore in I Love Lucy’s iconic "Vitameatavegamin" episode.

Laura Dern owns the Vitametavegamin dress. This is the first I heard it still is around.

http://www.architecturaldigest.com/story/laura-derns-rustic-los-angeles-home-is-a-film-buffs-dream

In her closet—which went from a typical 1950s-style miniscule wardrobe to a walk-in upon renovation—hangs the dress Lucille Ball wore in I Love Lucy’s iconic "Vitameatavegamin" episode.

Pics or it didn't happen, Laura.

This flies in the face of the accepted version of the story that it was sent to Pauline Lopus who repurposed it. If this is true, I wonder what Laura has. If Laura actually has it, however, I wonder how the Lopus story became gospel.

• Like 1

This flies in the face of the accepted version of the story that it was sent to Pauline Lopus who repurposed it. If this is true, I wonder what Laura has. If Laura actually has it, however, I wonder how the Lopus story became gospel.

There are photos in the article but none of the dress. I heard it was Marion who got the dress for doll clothes. But I've also heard that it was a different dress she got.

Laura Dern owns a recreation of the dress. She wore it when she and Rosie O'Donnell had a Lucy trivia contest on Rosie's show. It clearly wasn't the original dress. I'm sure the writer of that article got confused.

Well thank you for that. I have that Rosie clip burried somewhere but forgot she wore that dress.

Brock:  WOULD LOVE a 'revisit' of Pauline Lopus' information; perfect for the chronology; where did you find it?  Thanks for your reply.  Loving you, JK :fabrary: 

There are photos in the article but none of the dress. I heard it was Marion who got the dress for doll clothes. But I've also heard that it was a different dress she got.

Would LOVE to find this info about Marion, luvs; if you have the information where you found it; thanks.  JK :fabrary: 

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I don't know if this has been shared yet (because the article is from 2014), but when he was interviewed by The AV Club, John Mulaney showed that he has some excellent taste in sitcoms:

https://tv.avclub.com/john-mulaney-surprises-us-with-his-top-5-multi-camera-s-1798272067

In addition to The Cosby Show, Seinfeld, The Golden Girls, and Sgt. Bilko, John has this to say about ILL- It's very cool and unique that he took a lot of inspiration from Desi's role on the show:

I Love Lucy, not only as a show and as a great live-audience show, but it got me into being a comedian in the first place, in sort of a back channel way, because I saw Ricky Ricardo’s life and I really wanted that life. I really wanted to sit around the house all day and then go do a show at a nightclub at night. I just thought, “This looks like the best life. You go do the show that night. Maybe you do a little rehearsal, but otherwise you’re just at home.” So when I was about 9 or 10, I started taking drum lessons, because I thought I’d be like a band leader. I took a couple conga drum lessons and thought, ah, that’d be fun to have a mamba band like that. Then I remembered that movie The Mambo Kings, and at the end, I think it’s pretty clear that mambo is over. And I thought, “Oh no! Mambo is very done.” And I probably wouldn’t break through to the mambo audience, as a nightclub bandleader. And my interest in comedy came together, and I thought, “Maybe I’ll be a comedian in nightclubs.” But the idea of just show business was implanted in me very early from I Love Lucy which was on WGN Chicago, playing all the time. Even though it came out 35 years before I was born, it was background for a lot of my childhood.

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

Lucy's in TERRIFIC company! I've thought Haddish was an excellent comedienne since she was first on The Carmichael Show and I'm glad she really seems to be getting her big break.

When I saw "a host of African American icons", my first thought was Carol Channing, but I digress. 

• 1 month later...