Life With Lucy article

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Joey, which episode did you see?

The FIRST one ("One Good Grandparent...."), in which La Ball was NOT introduced before filming began (a first, unless they also did that for one of her prior specials, like Lucy Moves to NBC -- I dun't know!) as used to be the custom but instead, made her first big entrance on camera (see below) to loud, thunderous, sustained applause --we were on our feet! -- which went on even longer than Gale Gordon's did later in the show, although her entrance was edited way down, Gale's pretty much left intact, to show you the difference.

Despite all the criticisms, bad reviews and snarky comments that came later, it WAS a "magical night"! How wundaful to see the Queen before her subjects in her beloved "arena", well over a decade after her last "curtain call" -- a year or two before, no one would have given much thought that this would ever be happening again, but a little telefilm called Stone Pillow changed all that....

To this day I have mixed feelings about her ill-fated decision to return to weekly television but...I wouldn't trade that evening and it's fading but fond memories for the world!

:)

The FIRST one ("One Good Grandparent...."), in which La Ball was NOT introduced before filming began (a first, unless they also did that for one of her prior specials, like Lucy Moves to NBC -- I dun't know!) as used to be the custom but instead, made her first big entrance on camera (see below) to loud, thunderous, sustained applause --we were on our feet! -- which went on even longer than Gale Gordon's did later in the show, although her entrance was edited way down, Gale's pretty much left intact, to show you the difference.

Despite all the criticisms, bad reviews and snarky comments that came later, it WAS a "magical night"! How wundaful to see the Queen before her subjects in her beloved "arena", well over a decade after her last "curtain call" -- a year or two before, no one would have given much thought that this would ever be happening again, but a little telefilm called Stone Pillow changed all that....

To this day I have mixed feelings about her ill-fated decision to return to weekly television but...I wouldn't trade that evening and it's fading but fond memories for the world!

:)

Very well said, you lucky bastard!

Wow, how cool is that?! B)

Ditto what Mister Hepburn posted -- please elaborate, you two! Details, we want details! :marionstrong:

I read somewhere that they did the scene with the "industrial sized fire extinguisher" last because the soap suds would've made a huge mess and flooded everything and it would've took a long time to clean up before shooting the final scene. And that Lucille had a whistle and kept blowing it. lolz.

I read somewhere that they did the scene with the "industrial sized fire extinguisher" last because the soap suds would've made a huge mess and flooded everything and it would've took a long time to clean up before shooting the final scene. And that Lucille had a whistle and kept blowing it. lolz.

That's true. (But no, she didn't keep blowing a whistle!)

There was actually an additional scene filmed that took place in her bedroom (which you can still see in the opening credits), where she's walking on her bed but didn't make it into the final cut of the episode. :D

That's true. (But no, she didn't keep blowing a whistle!)

There was actually an additional scene filmed that took place in her bedroom (which you can still see in the opening credits), where she's walking on her bed but didn't make it into the final cut of the episode. :D

What was Lucy like off camera/in between takes from what you saw? Was she bitchy or just focused on work?

:angry::angry::angry:

I agree Claude, I tried to ignore the question but your reply pretty much sums up how I was feeling after reading it. After all, this is a forum to embrace Lucy's life. At the same time though, I'm sure chedderchester didn't mean for it to come out that way.

I agree Claude, I tried to ignore the question but your reply pretty much sums up how I was feeling after reading it. After all, this is a forum to embrace Lucy's life. At the same time though, I'm sure chedderchester didn't mean for it to come out that way.

Of course not! I mean people do have "awful" stories to tell from on the set. But hey, they didn't really want to work so of course they had to be snapped at. What I MEANT was, did she snap a lot?

Lucy was a human being with both good and bad qualities who had both good and bad days, like EVERYONE she could be a bitch at times. If we don't look at Lucy in realistic terms and we have to tip toe we're not going to have nearly as many interesting or in-depth conversations.

And frankly my dears, I enjoy being called a bitch in the workplace--I know what I want and I'm not happy til I have it my way.

Of course not! I mean people do have "awful" stories to tell from on the set. But hey, they didn't really want to work so of course they had to be snapped at. What I MEANT was, did she snap a lot?

I guess it just came across badly, the way you said "bitchy" but I hardly doubt that she would snap especially on an opening night when no doubt she was as excited as the rest of the cast with this brand new show that unfortunately didn't do well :(

Archived