I know!! I often think that as well. I adore Carole Lombard; she's one of my favorite actresses. It's such a tragedy that she died so young, especially since she was supposed to take the train back to California and decided to fly back on the flip of a coin. :(

Rumor has it she was concerned that Clark was fooling around with Lana Turner and she wanted to rush back to put an end to it. In her autobiography, Lana denies any sort of affair, she claims she went to Clark's house a few times after Carole died (for company, to see his gun collection) and that was it. Lana, however, spends an exhausting amount of her book painting herself in a too perfect light, so who knows.

People found bits and baubles for years and years at the wreckage which was mostly difficult to get to until the 90s. Parts of the plane still remain, supposedly someone pushed part of the motor (or something) down part of the mountain, this happened once a tour company made the voyage to that part of the mountain more doable. One of my lifes goals is to go there, get up there the way Carole's rescue team did and just sit and pay tribute to her for a few hours.

And I suppose a quick trip to her hometown (just a few hours away) might be in order before I move to NYC later this year.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Of course not. :lucythrill: (If you believe that, I have this great Ginsu knife set to sell you)

I vividly remember rolling my eyes every time she said/reiterated that fact. It's a shame she wasn't more honest, her's could have been the whopper of old Hollywood autobiographies. I still need to get my hands on the book written by one of her former employees that caused her to write her own book... And I'm still waiting for Cheryl's death bed confession, "my mother stabbed Stompanato!" (not that I want Cheryl to die!!)

I vividly remember rolling my eyes every time she said/reiterated that fact. It's a shame she wasn't more honest, her's could have been the whopper of old Hollywood autobiographies. I still need to get my hands on the book written by one of her former employees that caused her to write her own book... And I'm still waiting for Cheryl's death bed confession, "my mother stabbed Stompanato!" (not that I want Cheryl to die!!)

We all know that's coming. LOL It will be followed by a newly discovered letter from Lana to...Randal Malone or somebody claiming she only kept Johnny Stompanatoa around because it was the closest she'd ever get to holding an Oscar of her own. :lucythrill:

I think she was nominated for Peyton Place. Had thought her nomination was for Madam X until I looked it up.

She's hardly in Peyton Place!! Geez. Madame X is a beautiful film, I cry every time and it's because of her performance...and I don't care what anyone says!! Haha. I think Madame X and Imitation of Life are her only two truly great performances. Postman... is fun but she doesn't have to do much acting...

She's hardly in Peyton Place!! Geez. Madame X is a beautiful film, I cry every time and it's because of her performance...and I don't care what anyone says!! Haha. I think Madame X and Imitation of Life are her only two truly great performances. Postman... is fun but she doesn't have to do much acting...

Nut what about her bad car accident in Bad and Beautiful???

Here's a twist for you; I remembered that I DVRd it back in September and started looking through the other movies I'd DVRd..ended up watching Nothing Sacred with Carole!

Keep looking, maybe you'll find others of hers. Was she in the man who came to dinner or you can't take it with you, my man godfrey i know is another one.

Keep looking, maybe you'll find others of hers. Was she in the man who came to dinner or you can't take it with you, my man godfrey i know is another one.

:viv1: Is that Shelley Winters or Judy Holliday?

Eve Arden: Neither, that's Eve Arden! ;)

Bette Davis is in The Man Who Came to Dinner and it's Jean Arthur in You Can't Take It with You. :) Two excellent films! My Man Godfrey with Carole's ex-husband, William Powell, is definitely one of her best movies, I think. I also love Twentieth Century and I think that To Be or Not to Be (with Jack Benny) is a masterpiece, even though it is her last film. :( :(

:viv1: Is that Shelley Winters or Judy Holliday?

Eve Arden: Neither, that's Eve Arden! ;)

Bette Davis is in The Man Who Came to Dinner and it's Jean Arthur in You Can't Take It with You. :) Two excellent films! My Man Godfrey with Carole's ex-husband, William Powell, is definitely one of her best movies, I think. I also love Twentieth Century and I think that To Be or Not to Be (with Jack Benny) is a masterpiece, even though it is her last film. :( :(

Bette who? Jean was one of the ones Lucy wanted to replace Viv when she opted out of The Lucy Show, wasn't she?

Archived