Paley Center Loves Lucy

HarryCarter

feature-p-lovinglucy-2011.jpg

The Paley Center for Media is happy to join with TV Guide Magazine to salute Lucille Ball in her centennial year with an exhibit of blow-up reproductions of the covers she graced from 1953 to 2011. The large-scale format of the art brings to life the work of Richard Amsel, Bob Peak, Ronald Searle, Philippe Halsman, and many other leading illustrators and photographers of the day. They capture the many sides of Lucille Ball: glamorous, silly, daring, trendy.

Accompanying the art are clips from the Paley Center's collection that relate to specific covers, as well as the Zinio electronic edition of the centenary salute, bringing our love for Lucy squarely into the twenty-first century.

On display in New York: September 28 to November 27, 2011.

On display in Los Angeles: October 10 to November 27, 2011.

FREE for Members; Included with General Admission

Paley Center Loves Lucy

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

feature-p-lovinglucy-2011.jpg

The Paley Center for Media is happy to join with TV Guide Magazine to salute Lucille Ball in her centennial year with an exhibit of blow-up reproductions of the covers she graced from 1953 to 2011. The large-scale format of the art brings to life the work of Richard Amsel, Bob Peak, Ronald Searle, Philippe Halsman, and many other leading illustrators and photographers of the day. They capture the many sides of Lucille Ball: glamorous, silly, daring, trendy.

Accompanying the art are clips from the Paley Center's collection that relate to specific covers, as well as the Zinio electronic edition of the centenary salute, bringing our love for Lucy squarely into the twenty-first century.

On display in Los Angeles: October 10 to November 27, 2011.

FREE for Members; Included with General Admission

Paley Center Loves Lucy

I am only a train ride away from NYC so I'd love to be able to get down there and see this! Everything the Paley Center has done so far for Lucy's centennial sounds like it's been fantastic!

I am only a train ride away from NYC so I'd love to be able to get down there and see this! Everything the Paley Center has done so far for Lucy's centennial sounds like it's been fantastic!

TRUE, Mr Paily was behind Lucy and Desi their whole period with CBS and the he supported her through her other series also. Then, he was inducted into the TV Hall of Fame alongside Lucy and then even filmed a mini tribute to her when she passed on. Statue erected of her at the Los Angeles one and now these constant tributes also, she was CBS' biggest star for decades and he was the Chairman of the board of CBS and his work on her behalf and his Center's work has been amazing to say the least.

• 2 weeks later...

Went to see the TV Guide exhibit if Lucy on Saturday, its wonderful to see all the covers on display (almost all) here is a link to two pictures that i took from the display:

http://s1130.photobucket.com/albums/m532/mickienyc/?action=view&current=IMG00839-20111001-1158.jpg

http://s1130.photobucket.com/albums/m532/mickienyc/?action=view&current=IMG00841-20111001-1207.jpg

TV Guide is putting out a special digital copy of TV Guide with a tribute to Lucy, inside will be a display of all of her 29 covers, plus an interview with Lucie. It is supposed to be available starting today at zinio.com but jsut went on the site and it does not seem to be up just yet. There is a full page ad in the new TV Guide.

Went to see the TV Guide exhibit if Lucy on Saturday, its wonderful to see all the covers on display (almost all) here is a link to two pictures that i took from the display:

http://s1130.photobucket.com/albums/m532/mickienyc/?action=view&current=IMG00839-20111001-1158.jpg

http://s1130.photobucket.com/albums/m532/mickienyc/?action=view&current=IMG00841-20111001-1207.jpg

TV Guide is putting out a special digital copy of TV Guide with a tribute to Lucy, inside will be a display of all of her 29 covers, plus an interview with Lucie. It is supposed to be available starting today at zinio.com but jsut went on the site and it does not seem to be up just yet. There is a full page ad in the new TV Guide.

REALLY NICE! TV Guide was always great to Lucy, as she was the best thing ever to happen to the medium of Television. The Paley center ditto!

http://s1130.photobu...111001-1158.jpg

http://s1130.photobu...111001-1207.jpg

Mickie: was this in NYC or LA?

It was in NY, but LA is suppposed to have the same exhibit too.

Yeah, well....LA's (actually a Beverly Hills address) doesn't always exactly have their s**t together, trust me! :rolleyes: Will find out tonight as there's an event (Flo Henderson is hawking her new bio) so hopefully the display will be in full evidence! ;)

Yeah, well....LA's (actually a Beverly Hills address) doesn't always exactly have their s**t together, trust me! :rolleyes: Will find out tonight as there's an event (Flo Henderson is hawking her new bio) so hopefully the display will be in full evidence! ;)

Are you going to see Florence tonight? She is not doing it in NY, at least as of now.

Just checked the web site and the got this info:

On display in Los Angeles: October 8 to November 28, 2011

Mickie

Are you going to see Florence tonight? She is not doing it in NY, at least as of now.

Just checked the web site and the got this info:

On display in Los Angeles: October 8 to November 28, 2011

Mickie

Yup, she was fab and her special guest in attendance, slipped in with hubby in tow, just before the program began, was Miss Carol Burnett! :D

They showed numerous clips (hopefully and I would imagine, culled from Paley's vast film & video library) from throughout FH's career, from several hilarious appearances on Dean Martin's variety show, the Today Show, Bell Telephone Hour and of course, the Brady Bunch and her ads for Wesson oil as well as clips of her last talk show and her long-running Nashville-based country cooking show.

She was then interviewed by local celeb Fritz Coleman, NBC 4's (the LA-based affiliate) favorite weatherman, who is also -- who knew? a standup comic, who did a fine job. The interview was taped and should appear I believe they said on their site eventually, if not elsewhere.

Finally, everyone returned to the main lobby where she proceeded to autograph copies of her book and pose briefly for pictures for those who asked. I wish I had!

All in all a wundaful evening with a very lovely and talented lady! ;)

Yup, she was fab and her special guest in attendance, slipped in with hubby in tow, just before the program began, was Miss Carol Burnett! :D

They showed numerous clips (hopefully and I would imagine, culled from Paley's vast film & video library) from throughout FH's career, from several hilarious appearances on Dean Martin's variety show, the Today Show, Bell Telephone Hour and of course, the Brady Bunch and her ads for Wesson oil as well as clips of her last talk show and her long-running Nashville-based country cooking show.

She was then interviewed by local celeb Fritz Coleman, NBC 4's (the LA-based affiliate) favorite weatherman, who is also -- who knew? a standup comic, who did a fine job. The interview was taped and should appear I believe they said on their site eventually, if not elsewhere.

Finally, everyone returned to the main lobby where she proceeded to autograph copies of her book and pose briefly for pictures for those who asked. I wish I had!

All in all a wundaful evening with a very lovely and talented lady! ;)

Sounds wonderful glad you had a good time, met Florence and got to see Carol Burnett.

• 3 weeks later...

This past weekend, I went to the fourth and final showings of the Lucy festival at the Paley Center. For this feature, they included the I Love Lucy pilot episode, the cast on the Dinner with the President special (1953) and the best one - Lucy on Dinah! from 12-1-1975 promoting her upcoming special with Jackie Gleason. It was Lucy for the whole show (90 minutes) - kind of This is your Life feel to it.

Dinah surprised Lucy with her guests - DeDe, Lucie, Zsa Zsa (at fist in a red wig) and Vivian Vance - what a thrill to see this show again, for the first time since it aired and it looks wonderful on the big screen. I am going back again this weekend to see it again. The Paley Center still has its Lucy TV Guide exhibit showing until November 28th.

Dinah surprised Lucy with her guests - DeDe, Lucie, Zsa Zsa (at fist in a red wig) and Vivian Vance

Is this the same one where Zsa tells the excruciatingly long story about being Dede's long-lost Hungarian daughter? The story which causes Lucie to collapse from exhaustion? LOL

Is this the same one where Zsa tells the excruciatingly long story about being Dede's long-lost Hungarian daughter? The story which causes Lucie to collapse from exhaustion? LOL

Well, Dinah was announcing the next surprise guest by saying that she was a long lost relative – think she said her last name was Belmont and then Zsa Zsa came out in the red wig and totally surprised Lucy, although not as much as a surprise when Viv came out. During the show they had asked Viv what she was doing lately and she replied mostly selling coffee. It was a really great show. I think it really surprised Lucy, who said she had not seen Viv in a while and that she thought that Lucie was out of town.

This past weekend, I went to the fourth and final showings of the Lucy festival at the Paley Center. For this feature, they included the I Love Lucy pilot episode, the cast on the Dinner with the President special (1953) and the best one - Lucy on Dinah! from 12-1-1975 promoting her upcoming special with Jackie Gleason. It was Lucy for the whole show (90 minutes) - kind of This is your Life feel to it.

Dinah surprised Lucy with her guests - DeDe, Lucie, Zsa Zsa (at fist in a red wig) and Vivian Vance - what a thrill to see this show again, for the first time since it aired and it looks wonderful on the big screen. I am going back again this weekend to see it again. The Paley Center still has its Lucy TV Guide exhibit showing until November 28th.

Thanks for the update, Mickie! Unfortunately the boobs who run the Paley here in LA (technically, Beverly Hills) could care less about "Lucy" or the programs that they're supposedly holding in her honor: the last one I went to included the Zsa Zsa talk show -- which was so weird I couldn't even begin to explain it! -- and her sole dramatic appearance on "Greatest Show on Earth." Well, it started late, no one who "worked" there seemed to know what screening room it was in (they've only got TWO!), and as they close at 5 (their hours are ridiculous and must be geared more toward the Beverly Hills matron than the working stiff!), even though the program was only about in the middle of "Zsa Zsa", the projector stopped, the lights went up and we were rudely asked to leave.

The next time I schlepped over there -- it's not exactly on "my side of town" -- we were told -- despite it being scheduled and advertised on the internet, that it had to be cancelled that day to make room for an event being sponsored by Nickelodeon TV -- WTF??!

While I've attended many wonderful events there, I must say I've not always been thrilled with the lack of manners, preparation and/or consideration on their staff's part. Some are quite lovely and wonderful but there's a couple of boors there too whom should seek employment elsewhere.

:rolleyes:

Thanks for the update, Mickie! Unfortunately the boobs who run the Paley here in LA (technically, Beverly Hills) could care less about "Lucy" or the programs that they're supposedly holding in her honor: the last one I went to included the Zsa Zsa talk show -- which was so weird I couldn't even begin to explain it! -- and her sole dramatic appearance on "Greatest Show on Earth." Well, it started late, no one who "worked" there seemed to know what screening room it was in (they've only got TWO!), and as they close at 5 (their hours are ridiculous and must be geared more toward the Beverly Hills matron than the working stiff!), even though the program was only about in the middle of "Zsa Zsa", the projector stopped, the lights went up and we were rudely asked to leave.

The next time I schlepped over there -- it's not exactly on "my side of town" -- we were told -- despite it being scheduled and advertised on the internet, that it had to be cancelled that day to make room for an event being sponsored by Nickelodeon TV -- WTF??!

While I've attended many wonderful events there, I must say I've not always been thrilled with the lack of manners, preparation and/or consideration on their staff's part. Some are quite lovely and wonderful but there's a couple of boors there too whom should seek employment elsewhere.

That sound horrible – at least at the Paley Center in NY, the staff is courteous and helpful and they are knowledgeable about the screenings that are shown there.

OMG, sounds just horrible, Mr Paley would not be happy. :lucydisgust:

Archived