TV Guide clippings

Gawd, I miss the "old style" TV Guide entries with those cool "COLOR" and "SPECIAL" boxes!! Gawd, I'm dating myself!!! lucyhorror.JPG

I miss EVERYTHING about the old TV Guide - the "tv news" dateline reports on yellow pages in the front and back of the magazine, the detailed guest cast lists AND listing of cast regulars in approximately order of the size of their role on the episode, the great covers and interviews, Judith Crist's movie reviews, and the 24-7 broadcast listings (who would ever dream THAT would be dropped!)

• 1 month later...

Why have you become obsessed with Bea's feet all of a sudden? One more remark and I might ask you Lucy's shoe size. :lucythrill:

I know, i admit you are right, just couldn't think of anythinhg else that was funny in reply to Shel's comment, LOL! :marionstrong: But Boffo the clown's feet were much smaller than Bea's. As a matter of fact, every time Bea went to Payless, she'd head straight for the clown section. When there were wildfires in L A, Bea would invariably be called in to stomp them out. While skiing in Aspen, fans would ask her why she was wearing snowshoes and she'd reply a la Ethel and the bussel, I'M NOT WEARING SNOWSHOES. Basketball players wear smaller size shoes than Bea. If Bea had landed and stepped on the moon, the speech woyuld have changed to ONE GIANT STEP FOR A WOMAN, ONE SMALL LEAP FOR MANKIND. Bea could never litterally put her foot in her mouth, but she once tried it with Martha Raye's. :lucythrill:

This looks like how TV Guide doctored up their ad for "All Star Party for Lucy". The crowd is applauding and Lucy's arms were outstretched. They pre-photoshopped another Lucy head on to that body whose facial expression was more humble appreciation, because during the actual moment in the show, she had more of a "why the hell are you applauding ME?" look.

At least they didn't use the goofy expression of the head coming out of the jack in the box!

$%28KGrHqR,!poF!-LZ-O9QBQU6UCnSc!~~60_57.JPG

This looks like how TV Guide doctored up their ad for "All Star Party for Lucy". The crowd is applauding and Lucy's arms were outstretched. They pre-photoshopped another Lucy head on to that body whose facial expression was more humble appreciation, because during the actual moment in the show, she had more of a "why the hell are you applauding ME?" look.

At least they didn't use the goofy expression of the head coming out of the jack in the box!

What are you talking about? That's not the All Star Party, this is Lucy in Nashville, i remember that dress. You might be right about the head though as the hair looks different, it was more up for the Nashville show, this one is wider, from something else.

What are you talking about? That's not the All Star Party, this is Lucy in Nashville, i remember that dress. You might be right about the head though as the hair looks different, it was more up for the Nashville show, this one is wider, from something else.

There was definitely some "cropping" going on, didn't notice it as much since you pointed it out, Neil, and as a matter of fact, if you stare at it long enough it almost looks as if her neck was put on backwards!! :lucyhorror:

I was talking about the All Star Party ad picture. This Nashville pic looks like it has a replaced head too and it reminded me of the other one.

I was talking about the All Star Party ad picture. This Nashville pic looks like it has a replaced head too and it reminded me of the other one.

So, where's the pic of the All Star Party? Just went through all six pages and couldn't find it. Although some of those pics are just stunning and so nice to see again, of course some, you wonder, is that the best pic they could have done, i mean TV Guide had access to the best people, right?

So, where's the pic of the All Star Party? Just went through all six pages and couldn't find it. Although some of those pics are just stunning and so nice to see again, of course some, you wonder, is that the best pic they could have done, i mean TV Guide had access to the best people, right?

I don't know that I have it. Just remember it. It was a half-page ad and they did not do a convincing job with that head-splice.

• 4 weeks later...

March 1963 "Caught short by an early network scheduling season, Desilu has indefinitely shelved the filming of two pilot projects: "I Married a Martian' with Julie Newmar and 'O-K, O'Shea" with Gale Storm."

That fall 1963 CBS debuted My Favorite Martian, which ran for 4 years. The following fall 1964 both Martian and My Living Doll (with Miss Newmar) were on CBS's Sunday night. "Doll" was what CBS put up against top rated "Bonanza"! This is the season Bonanza became the #1 TV show for 3 seasons in a row.

This is also the first year of Bewitched based on the movie "I Married a Witch." which may have been the series title at one point.

I think the same year as the Burl Ives series "OK Crackerby" similar title to O'Shea.

I wonder what the premise of OK, O'Shea was. The title sounds a lot like her other series Oh Suzanna.

Didn't realize Gale was still trying for a TV show in the 60s.

March 1963 "Caught short by an early network scheduling season, Desilu has indefinitely shelved the filming of two pilot projects: "I Married a Martian' with Julie Newmar and 'O-K, O'Shea" with Gale Storm."

That fall 1963 CBS debuted My Favorite Martian, which ran for 4 years. The following fall 1964 both Martian and My Living Doll (with Miss Newmar) were on CBS's Sunday night. "Doll" was what CBS put up against top rated "Bonanza"! This is the season Bonanza became the #1 TV show for 3 seasons in a row.

This is also the first year of Bewitched based on the movie "I Married a Witch." which may have been the series title at one point.

I think the same year as the Burl Ives series "OK Crackerby" similar title to O'Shea.

I wonder what the premise of OK, O'Shea was. The title sounds a lot like her other series Oh Suzanna.

Didn't realize Gale was still trying for a TV show in the 60s.

Doesn't it seem like once you were in that Desilu stable, they kept trying you in everything. I remember watching Burl Ives in Ok Crackerby, Burl was excellent, drama like Cat on a hot tin roof, music, he had such great musical talent and even comedy.

• 5 months later...

From the "Teletype" section of a June 1962 issue of TV Guide:

"Lucille Ball is set to begin filming of her new TV series July 12th on a newly refurbished set (to the tune of $65,000) at Desilu Studios."

$65,000 in 1962 is the equivalent of $500,000 today!