TV Guide clippings

"because of pleas from her fans"

So MY letter did the trick!  --   written in CRAYON in big block letters that filled the page "Please don't take The Lucy Show off!!".

If I had known she was going to listen to me, I would have added...."but patch things up with Bob and Madelyn and if that's not possible, hire someone other than Milt Josefsburg!"

$_57.JPG

TV Magazine (The Sunday Star, Washington D.C.) April 19 - 25, 1964

• 6 months later...

From the March 16 ,1968 edition of TV Guide:

"Lucy begins reruns tonight with  Frankie Avalon as Mr. Cheever's nephew Tommy"----THAT'S  the first episode they pick for reruns, one of my least favorites of that 6th season.

.  Poor Frankie was only 27 when this show was filmed, but his career had already peaked.  There was probably some residual popularity from his early 60s Beach Party movies to warrant this guest star role, but by the time of "The Carters meet...", he was 33 and pretty much forgotten. 

And the night before on the Ed Sullivan show, Lucy is among the performers listed.  Under "Musical Highlights", it says "Yours Mine and Ours".....................Lucille

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

From the TV Guide on January 2, 1960

"Bill Frawley and Gale Gordon have completed the test film for thier planned "Mr. Harkrider and Mr. Sweeney" series".

COMPLETED???!!  Where is it?  This was a couple years after Gale's "The Brothers" which coincidentally co-starred Bob Sweeney.

That week instead of the Desilu Playhouse, "Lucy Makes Room for Danny" was rerun.  This was DP's 2nd season, shuttled to Friday at 8:30 opposite the hottest season of ABC's 77 Sunset Strip, which finished #7 for the year.  DP was canceled, but I wonder how the LDCH's fared against it.  This was the season of only 3 new LDCHs but it seems reruns were sprinkled throughout.  "Sun Valley" had run a few weeks before.

Also from a TV Guide in the fall of 1964, ratings for new shows are listed.  Lucy's ABC competition "Wendy and Me"(the only sitcom ever put up against LS or HL) came in at #15, but this ratings period was the average of 2 weeks.  ABC had the advantage of starting their new shows one week earlier than CBS so there were 2 Wendys and only one Lucy ("Good Skate").   Viewers seemed to be sampling shows they later abandoned.  "No Time for Sergeants" (opposite "Vacation Playhouse" and one Andy Griffith, ironically based on his own movie)  was #7 and "The Tycoon" (Walter Brennan comedy) was #14.   All 3 of these ABC shows were gone after one season.

• Like 1

From the TV Guide on January 2, 1960

"Bill Frawley and Gale Gordon have completed the test film for thier planned "Mr. Harkrider and Mr. Sweeney" series".

COMPLETED???!!  Where is it?  This was a couple years after Gale's "The Brothers" which coincidentally co-starred Bob Sweeney.

That week instead of the Desilu Playhouse, "Lucy Makes Room for Danny" was rerun.  This was DP's 2nd season, shuttled to Friday at 8:30 opposite the hottest season of ABC's 77 Sunset Strip, which finished #7 for the year.  DP was canceled, but I wonder how the LDCH's fared against it.  This was the season of only 3 new LDCHs but it seems reruns were sprinkled throughout.  "Sun Valley" had run a few weeks before.

Also from a TV Guide in the fall of 1964, ratings for new shows are listed.  Lucy's ABC competition "Wendy and Me"(the only sitcom ever put up against LS or HL) came in at #15, but this ratings period was the average of 2 weeks.  ABC had the advantage of starting their new shows one week earlier than CBS so there were 2 Wendys and only one Lucy ("Good Skate").   Viewers seemed to be sampling shows they later abandoned.  "No Time for Sergeants" (opposite "Vacation Playhouse" and one Andy Griffith, ironically based on his own movie)  was #7 and "The Tycoon" (Walter Brennan comedy) was #14.   All 3 of these ABC shows were gone after one season.

What is this?  Do you work for Neilsen on the sly?

• 9 months later...
  • 2 months later...

From "TV Teletype" in the TV Guide of Sept. 6, 1958

LUCILLE BALL may make her first serious dramatic role on TV as the star of "The Night The Phone Rang" on the new Desilu Playhouse.

CO-STARRING FLORENCE HALOP??

Or maybe they were going to 'appropriate' the "Sorry, Wrong Number" script with Ball and Halop and call it "WHOOPS! THERE GOES MY DOORBELL"

Also in the teletype of this edition:

Desi Arnaz has written an original drama for the series called "Guns and Guitars"

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Here's how TV Guide's Fall Premiere issue of 1962 described "The Lucy Show":

"The Lucy Show reunited that far-out, far-gone twosome, Lucille Ball and Vivian Vance of the I Love Lucy series.  "It's a comedy", Lucy says, "and I'll have Vivian Vance back with me and the same writers who wrote I Love Lucy and Desi is the executive producer and we're shooting at the Desilu-Gower Studios before a live audience for which we got permission from the fire department and that's all I'll say." But there is more: The Ball-Vance team plays a pair of man-hungry females who stop at nothing in their effort to snag a husband.  An airline-pilot neighbor, Dick Martin, is a prime quarry for the husband-hunters, but he's a confirmed, hard-shell bachelor, just as elusive as they are expert.  Ladies and gentlemen, place our bets. Debuts Oct. 1st CBS"

It's not a very accurate description of the series.  The Lucy&Viv after the same man premise was used only in "Music Lover" and the 2nd season "Art Class" as far as I recall, but it was a fun premise.  I'm surprised they didn't use it more.  

Interesting to note that the composite picture of "New on Monday" features 6 series and only The Lucy Show made it past the first season.  Cancelled opposite Lucy at the end of the 62-63 was one of them "Saints and Sinners' and the last season of long-running "The Rifleman". 

Of the 31 new series, only Lucy and Beverly Hillbillies, Jackie Gleason, Combat, The Virginian, McHale's Navy, The Nurses, The Andy Williams Show and Jack Paar's prime time show made it to 63-64.  9 out of 31 which is probably a better than average season. 

Jackie had good run before his 1970 cancellation.   As did Hillbillies and The Virginian (both 9 seasons until 1971), but Lucy topped them all by running 12 years (if you count both series, and why not?)

Also of note in the week of this issue: Sept. 16-21, 1962 was the last Lucy-Desi show of the season at 9pm on Monday "Japan/Bob Cummings".  Not all 13 were run that summer of 1962, its first of 5 years as a 'summer replacement show'.  The reruns were a surprise hit that season, topping the summer ratings and obviously continued to be a huge draw.  LDCH ran every summer through 1967 (skipping 1966).  The order of episodes did not follow any rhyme or reason but were run in the same sequence every summer.   Usually the last ones were "Summer Vacation" "Paul Douglas" and "Meets the Mustache".   Few summers aired them all.  Every summer started off with Danny Thomas, then Havana, Race Horse, Mexico and Milton Berle.  "Danny" was picked as the first episode because the first season of reruns replaced "The Danny Thomas Show" and "Andy Griffith" Mondays 9-10.  Seasons 2 and 3 (summers of 63 and 64) replaced Jackie Gleason, Saturdays at 7:30.  In 1965, they replaced Danny Kaye Wednesday at 10.  I don't know what they replaced in 1967, but aired at 7:30 on Thursdays.  I've often wondered if they were brought back in 1967 because of the protest of their absence in 1966.  LDCH has the distinction of being the very last b/w series aired by any network in prime time.   Also the most prime time showings of any series. Most of the episodes had 8 prime time airings including the original broadcast. 

(Sometimes I repeat myself, I know!)