Lucy Marathon

keepjigglingpeggy

Another great line that suffered in the Hallmark translation:

:viv1: When you were a child they had REAL dragons!

While I appreciate the fact that Hallmark puts on this marathon, the episodes are a little hard to watch all sped up. Everyone sounds like Jack E. Leonard (or if that's too obscure: Jimmy Cagney in his gangster movies). I can take a LOT for the pleasure of seeing these, but when they cut 90% of Mrs. McGillicuddy's laugh from "Hedda Hopper", well......I need Depends not Ducolax...again a prominent sponsor, who I think I'll send a sample to in protest. They were joined this year by another company that sells disposable catheters----YUCK!!--don't remember their name. Their ads seemed to make a big deal out of the fact these catheters are disposable, but what else would you do with 'em??

That said, they are awfully fun to watch.....I had the set on and would catch an episode or part of one...and sometimes see a reaction or face I hadn't noted before. For instance, how great ETHEL is when Lucy's dangling from Cornel Wilde's balcony.

oh you guys are so lucky you have tcm, you have no idea how hard it is to find a lucille ball movie in germany and you get them for free :)

Not really, i'm paying 120 bucks a month for satellite, at least i get SOME Lucy movies out of that, LOL! Can't you order Lucy movies through the net?

Not really, i'm paying 120 bucks a month for satellite, at least i get SOME Lucy movies out of that, LOL! Can't you order Lucy movies through the net?

yeah i guess i was a bit jealous :)i don't know why no one here knows her.

yes some, but the shipping and handeling it often is very expensive and i just can't afford paying 50 bucks for a dvd. but i would even know where to look for the less popular ones like panama lady etc.

yeah i guess i was a bit jealous :)i don't know why no one here knows her.

yes some, but the shipping and handeling it often is very expensive and i just can't afford paying 50 bucks for a dvd. but i would even know where to look for the less popular ones like panama lady etc.

Look, if you can still get her TV Shows, that's all that really matters, i think you can LIVE without her B movies.

While I appreciate the fact that Hallmark puts on this marathon, the episodes are a little hard to watch all sped up. Everyone sounds like Jack E. Leonard (or if that's too obscure: Jimmy Cagney in his gangster movies). I can take a LOT for the pleasure of seeing these, but when they cut 90% of Mrs. McGillicuddy's laugh from "Hedda Hopper", well......I need Depends not Ducolax...again a prominent sponsor, who I think I'll send a sample to in protest. They were joined this year by another company that sells disposable catheters----YUCK!!--don't remember their name. Their ads seemed to make a big deal out of the fact these catheters are disposable, but what else would you do with 'em??

That said, they are awfully fun to watch.....I had the set on and would catch an episode or part of one...and sometimes see a reaction or face I hadn't noted before. For instance, how great ETHEL is when Lucy's dangling from Cornel Wilde's balcony.

Ethel's reaction is priceless in this scene! Watching her watch Lucy, and try to calmly talk to Ricky is amazing! It's one of my favorite "Ethel Moments"! :)

Ethel's reaction is priceless in this scene! Watching her watch Lucy, and try to calmly talk to Ricky is amazing! It's one of my favorite "Ethel Moments"! :)

Definitely a classic, yes! And although I've watched it a million times, I still couldn't make out the "recipe" in its entirety, what with the gales of laughter drowning out Viv! lucythrill.JPG

Definitely a classic, yes! And although I've watched it a million times, I still couldn't make out the "recipe" in its entirety, what with the gales of laughter drowning out Viv! lucythrill.JPG

And that scene is so wonderfully directed. Sometimes they cut away from somebody and you know you've missed something priceless. And if this scene couldn't be any better, the bit where Ethel goes to the door, turns around, heads to the balcony, hesitates and turns to Ricky and laughs nervously then leaves....probably the best Ethel moment in the whole series (which is saying a LOT). I'm SO glad they made the trek to see "Voice of the Turtle"!

And that scene is so wonderfully directed. Sometimes they cut away from somebody and you know you've missed something priceless. And if this scene couldn't be any better, the bit where Ethel goes to the door, turns around, heads to the balcony, hesitates and turns to Ricky and laughs nervously then leaves....probably the best Ethel moment in the whole series (which is saying a LOT). I'm SO glad they made the trek to see "Voice of the Turtle"!

The year she won her Emmy Neil, do we know what ep it was for? Or since they only started giving SUPPORTING actors Emmys after a few years, maybe they were giving it for overall performance back then, and not any particular show?

The year she won her Emmy Neil, do we know what ep it was for? Or since they only started giving SUPPORTING actors Emmys after a few years, maybe they were giving it for overall performance back then, and not any particular show?

Vivian won the Emmy for the calendar year of 1953, which covered parts of the second and third seasons. She wasn't even nominated for the year of 1955, which "The Star Upstairs" aired in! I don't think the awards were based on a single episode at the time.

• 2 weeks later...

While I know the marathons were several weeks ago I felt I should comment. I am lucky enough to get Hallmark & TCM. I DVRed all the movies (which in the end I had copies of already) but did not DVR ILL as I knew I had all of these on DVD unedited. I did however, watch quit a bit of the ILL episodes during the weekend marathon and while I share the frustration of everyone at these edited prints I am at least happy to see that Lucy is still on the air so I will take the edited prints. The fact that 60 years after it's debut people are still watching her zany antics speaks volumes. Since most of these episodes ran between 25 & 26 minutes back in the 1950's and today an average sitcom runs 20 minutes unfortunately there is lots of editing. But, Hallmark has given Lucy her place showing six episdes a day back to back, which amounts to 42 episodes a week. I live on the East Coast and these episodes run from 5am - 8am, which is perfect. Instead of flipping on the news in the morning I flip on Lucy and start my day with a laugh as I get ready to head off to the office. So, while I would rather see these classics unedited in the end I will take them however I can get them.

While I know the marathons were several weeks ago I felt I should comment. I am lucky enough to get Hallmark & TCM. I DVRed all the movies (which in the end I had copies of already) but did not DVR ILL as I knew I had all of these on DVD unedited. I did however, watch quit a bit of the ILL episodes during the weekend marathon and while I share the frustration of everyone at these edited prints I am at least happy to see that Lucy is still on the air so I will take the edited prints. The fact that 60 years after it's debut people are still watching her zany antics speaks volumes. Since most of these episodes ran between 25 & 26 minutes back in the 1950's and today an average sitcom runs 20 minutes unfortunately there is lots of editing. But, Hallmark has given Lucy her place showing six episdes a day back to back, which amounts to 42 episodes a week. I live on the East Coast and these episodes run from 5am - 8am, which is perfect. Instead of flipping on the news in the morning I flip on Lucy and start my day with a laugh as I get ready to head off to the office. So, while I would rather see these classics unedited in the end I will take them however I can get them.

What a great post eddie, a perfect avatar and a hearty welcome to the site to you!

Well said, welcome aboard! Have a great time here! We're a fun bunch.

:peachonthebeach:

WELCOME TO THE LUCY LOUNGE EDDIE GRANT!!!

I am from the West Coast and get Hallmark as well. I enjoy watching :ill: in the morning here as well with the same time slot that you have in the East Coast. I have the whole "I Love Lucy" series on DVD and I am well aware of what they are editing. I feel at times that they edit the wrong scenes. The episode, "Lucy Is Matchmaker" this morning edited out the part where the man invited Lucy and Ethel to his hotel room("if Eddie didn't want them"). This is a very funny scene especially how Lucy and Ethel react to him. Other than that pet peeve, Hallmark does a great job of scheduling alot of "I Love Lucy" episodes and their marathons come around more frequent on the weekends. They had 48 hours of "I Love Lucy" on her birthday weekend!!!

Archived