Charm School

Doris Singleton said in an interview once (I can't remember where now) that she was paid a certain amount for appearing on I Love Lucy that was more than the typical rate. As a result, sometimes the writers would write a part for her in an episode, but someone else would be hired cheaper and do the part that was originally supposed to be Carolyn. I always thought this was the case in "Charm School." It seemed like the characters of Lou Ann and Bill Hall should have been the Applebees especially since Bill talks about the television industry and Charlie is a TV station manager.

A copy of the script is now on eBay and Carolyn and Charlie are indeed there instead of Lou Ann and Bill.

$(KGrHqR,!igE4u3t81E!BOSsvtv9FQ~~60_12.JPG

Tom Williams' date is named Sally Fearson before the Arnazes' friend Eve Whitney Maxwell was cast.

I agree that for continuity's sake this should have been the Applebys. Doris brought so much to an episode and "Lou Ann" in her one line (or was it two?) doesn't quite cut it. I see there are a lot of a few "original" scripts on ebay but the price is very high. For ONE "Black Wig" you could get FIVE "Lucy and Rudy Vallee"'s. The latter priced at $98.50 is probably all they paid that writer to begin with; and even at that the script was over-priced!

I agree that for continuity's sake this should have been the Applebys. Doris brought so much to an episode and "Lou Ann" in her one line (or was it two?) doesn't quite cut it. I see there are a lot of a few "original" scripts on ebay but the price is very high. For ONE "Black Wig" you could get FIVE "Lucy and Rudy Vallee"'s. The latter priced at $98.50 is probably all they paid that writer to begin with; and even at that the script was over-priced!

Yeah, it seems like they got some scripts at Scripts are Us or a Hollywood writing school from new writers. Dontcha sometimes feel we could have written better ones?

Archived