I Love Lucy - Colorized

I've ordered the set but it hasn't come yet. Will give a full report -- perhaps with screen caps -- upon arrival. Stay tuned........;)

I think the price is a little high, but I plan to order the set too. I'm also curious about the bonus features they advertised, I wonder if it's anything different from the CBS sets.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is there a link to where I can purchase it? I looked it up online, nothing.

300_lucy_host.jpg

No one had a nose for trouble quite like Lucy… And for sixty years she’s kept audiences howling with laughter. America’s favorite redhead, “Lucy Ricardo” has entertained generations since her series debut back in the 1950s. And now, to honor Lucille Ball's 100th birthday, Time Life is proud to release The Essential I Love Lucy Collection, a special 4-DVD set featuring 22 hand-picked favorite shows plus many bonuses.

I Love Lucy entertained America with the most outrageous, wackiest, one-of-a-kind television moments ever! Bring the legendary Lucy back into your own home and fall in love all over again with the hilarious series that changed TV forever! Our new collection is beautifully restored and digitally remastered for your viewing pleasure, perfect for any fan of Lucy!

Why You'll Love This Set:

• Essential Collection: 3 DVDs with 22 of the most popular I Love Lucy episodes!
  • Bonus Disc: Includes a new, colorized version of the famous “stomping grapes” episode, in color for the very first time ever!
  • Hours of Fun: Our 4-DVD set contains over 10 ½ hours of timeless entertainment.

lucy_mid.jpg

Link:

https://www.timelife.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=1001&catalogId=10001&productId=201001&sourcekey=Y11GBSNVTV&mediacode=search&s_kwcid=TC|9820|time%20life%20i%20love%20lucy||S|p|7650390803&gclid=CKfooZD-kKwCFWcaQgod1idymg

I'll try to restrain mahself and look who's talking about being "unbiased"! :lucythrill:

I was just looking at Liz Edwards latest ILL book and as i looked at those amazing black and white photos, some i dun't recall ever seeing before they are so rare, but i kept thinking why didn't she include more COLOR ones?

I was just looking at Liz Edwards latest ILL book and as i looked at those amazing black and white photos, some i dun't recall ever seeing before they are so rare, but i kept thinking why didn't she include more COLOR ones?

I hope this colorization is accurate. I refuse to watch the "colorized" version of the Christmas episode because of the wrong colorization. The walls are supposed to be bluish gray, not red--and the couch is blue too. I know they worked hard on it but make it accurate!

I hope this colorization is accurate. I refuse to watch the "colorized" version of the Christmas episode because of the wrong colorization. The walls are supposed to be bluish gray, not red--and the couch is blue too. I know they worked hard on it but make it accurate!

They didn't have the perfected techniques back then, NOW they can do it more easily and more properly too!

• 1 month later...

Saw clips of the Lucy's Italian Movie in color somewhere on this thread can't seem to remember where.

Was it colorized by the same team that did the Scotland episode? I like how the colorized dream sequence

from the Scotland episode looked but the Italy episode looked very "fake". Can't remember the word I wanted to use.

How accurate were the colors? I know that Lucy's grape stomping outfit was correct. But the short Italian lady's costume didn't seem right.

I have a color picture of it and the skirt seemed like brownish.

Also would adding the correct actual colors make a difference in how the episode looks opposed to just adding any colors (hence the name "christmas" ep)?

Btw my Lucy smilies are missing!

Saw clips of the Lucy's Italian Movie in color somewhere on this thread can't seem to remember where.

Was it colorized by the same team that did the Scotland episode? I like how the colorized dream sequence

from the Scotland episode looked but the Italy episode looked very "fake". Can't remember the word I wanted to use.

How accurate were the colors? I know that Lucy's grape stomping outfit was correct. But the short Italian lady's costume didn't seem right.

I have a color picture of it and the skirt seemed like brownish.

Also would adding the correct actual colors make a difference in how the episode looks opposed to just adding any colors (hence the name "christmas" ep)?

Btw my Lucy smilies are missing!

The Scotland ep was a feast for the eyes as color was a BIG part of it, in the Italy ep, it's more about plot and not anything really colorful in any way, IMO.

• 3 weeks later...

You do make some good points in there, yes. But frankly, people need to get over their stigma of B&W.

I suppose if they found proper colour resource footage and photos to make everything as accurate in colour as possible, it'd be interesting to see a few examples. But I suppose if the whole series eventually is colorized, it'll just mean another victory for people who are too narrow-minded to view things as meant to be seen.

Adjust, people, adjust!

Hypothetically speaking, if any episodes would benefit from being seen in colour, I'd pick these:

Lucy Gets in Pictures

The Tour

Bon Voyage

Lucy's Italian Movie

Lucy Takes a Cruise to Havana

Lucy Hunts Uranium

Lucy Goes to Mexico (a scene of which WAS colorized when Legend Films colorized the Westinghouse special)

Basically any episode with good location footage would be interesting.

Apparently the Lucy's Italian Movie has been colorized: http://www.timelife.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=1001&catalogId=10001&productId=201001 I just bought this, just for the colorized episode.

• 8 months later...

We should have the choice to see all I love lucy in color, its not fair that others should force there opinins on ones that want to see it in color , now I'm only saying it as an option on the dvd set, not one or the other . I still love the show and all the episodes. Now to see them in color would be like watching it for the first time. My point is option not forced opinion

We should have the choice to see all I love lucy in color, its not fair that others should force there opinins on ones that want to see it in color , now I'm only saying it as an option on the dvd set, not one or the other . I still love the show and all the episodes. Now to see them in color would be like watching it for the first time. My point is option not forced opinion

Unfortunately, if it was colorized, we eventually wouldn't have options. Eventually the color copies would all but obliterate the original B&W, and few would ever see them as originally done.

Look at Jeannie and Bewitched. The B&W episodes are never seen in B&W anymore. The color editions are so much more prevalent than the B&W and they get harder and harder to find. I was furious the complete Jeannie set only included the colorized episodes, especially because the colorization job really wasn't that great. If there were really any choice in the matter, they would've put in both. But no. Colorized copies move in and replace the originals. Soon no one will accept them. And I truly don't believe entertainment should constantly be altered to suit the masses. I think the masses need to learn to accept things as they are. We're too entitled as it is.

Okay, that's my piece. And welcome, BTW. Don't think I'm going off on you, this is aimed more at others who put it far less diplomatically than yourself (and I mean elsewhere on the web, not on this board).

Archived