Here's Lucy: a smash hit in India?

I just found this interview with Bollywood star Tusshar Kapoor and he cites Here's Lucy as his favourite television comedy. His wording makes me think that I Love Lucy wasn't as big a hit in the sub-continent as it's successor:

Here's Lucy is an exception I've made into these top ten favourite comedies I like. This one's a television sitcom starring the brilliance of Lucille Ball. I remember as a kid I used to see it on television in the late seventies and early eighties. Who can forget the character Lucy Carter? She was known world over by this name. I recall the most famous episode was the one where Elizabeth Taylor guest starred. It was a great slapstick sitcom of all times and my favourite too.

FULL INTERVIEW: http://www.bollywoodhungama.com/celebrities/features/type/view/id/2994

I just found this interview with Bollywood star Tusshar Kapoor and he cites Here's Lucy as his favourite television comedy. His wording makes me think that I Love Lucy wasn't as big a hit in the sub-continent as it's successor:

Here's Lucy is an exception I've made into these top ten favourite comedies I like. This one's a television sitcom starring the brilliance of Lucille Ball. I remember as a kid I used to see it on television in the late seventies and early eighties. Who can forget the character Lucy Carter? She was known world over by this name. I recall the most famous episode was the one where Elizabeth Taylor guest starred. It was a great slapstick sitcom of all times and my favourite too.

FULL INTERVIEW: http://www.bollywoodhungama.com/celebrities/features/type/view/id/2994

Lucy was so popular in India that the most popular name for any little baby girl was LUCY. I'm surprised that they tolerated the episodes that made fun of cows.

Lucy was so popular in India that the most popular name for any little baby girl was LUCY. I'm surprised that they tolerated the episodes that made fun of cows.

Speaking of 'India' - ahem - On Melody Thomas Scott's soap, Y & R, her 'daughter', Victoria, named her 'adopted', red-headed baby girl, Lucy. This was last 'fall'; and, I was waiting for someone else to mention it; but, since NO ONE HAS.... :marionstrong:

Speaking of 'India' - ahem - On Melody Thomas Scott's soap, Y & R, her 'daughter', Victoria, named her 'adopted', red-headed baby girl, Lucy. This was last 'fall'; and, I was waiting for someone else to mention it; but, since NO ONE HAS.... :marionstrong:

Hey, you're BIG enough to make these announcements yourself you know. Nice to hear, had no idea. She seems like a very nice lady, good for her and a great thing she did too!

• 2 weeks later...

According to the Hindustan Times, HL will be returning to television on the Indian version of Comedy Central:

http://www.hindustantimes.com/Entertainment/Television/Finally-tears-and-sighs-make-way-for-laughs/Article1-803067.aspx

And fifty years from now they'll show Big Bang Theory that even has an Indian character.

Archived