The New Betty White Appreciation Thread

Picked up Betty's biography,"Here We Go Again" for $8.62 at Sam's Club the other day.

Guess who stayed up way too late reading it last night ... :)

:o Thanks for the reminder. I forgot the new edition came out this week. Did the picture of Tom Watson make it into the revised version? lol

Betty will be the voice of Mrs. Claus in an upcoming ABC special in December:

LOS ANGELES, Oct. 19 (UPI) -- U.S. actress Betty White is lending her voice to the character of Mrs. Claus in a new animated Christmas special, ABC said Tuesday.

The 7-minute short, "Prep & Landing: Operation Secret Santa," is to premiere Dec. 7 during the holiday classic "A Charlie Brown Christmas."

The second installment in the "Prep & Landing" series once again follows the comic adventures of Santa's stealthiest elves, Lanny and Wayne.

"With Christmas only a few short days away, Mrs. Claus, voiced by Betty White, and Magee, voiced by Sarah Chalke, enlist Wayne, voiced by Dave Foley, and Lanny, voiced by Derek Richardson, on a secret mission to retrieve a mysterious item hidden deep within Santa Claus's office! Can the intrepid duo acquire the target in time, or will they be discovered by the Big Guy, voiced by Morgan Sheppard, and doomed to placement on the Naughty List?" ABC said in a synopsis.

White, 88, is best known for her work on TV's "Hot in Cleveland," "The Golden Girls" and "The Mary Tyler Moore Show."

http://www.upi.com/Entertainment_News/TV/2010/10/19/Betty-White-to-play-Mrs-Claus-in-special/UPI-41181287537961/

Here's the full story:

I started typing this in the shoutbox in response to The Golden Boy, but I figured I might as well do it here. Anyway, last night I called the Night of Too Many Stars telethon for Autism Education after seeing Betty in the "celebrity phone bank" sitting between Tom Hanks and Maya Rudolph. I waited to see how things went for the first 45 minutes of the telethon or so before I made my call and when I did, some person named Octavia answered the phone and asked me how much I wanted to pledge. Disappointed, thinking all the celebrities were busy and I got handed off to some random person, I donated $30 so I didn't appear rude. I didn't want to say, "YOU'RE NOT GETTING A PENNY UNTIL I TALK TO BETTY!" or anything like that. :lol: After she took down my Visa number and mailing information she asked me if I wanted to enter the queue to speak to a "random Celebrity." "YES!!!!!!!!!!!", says I. LOL

After five minutes waiting on the phone listening to recorded messages saying they are not responsible for any dropped calls and blah, blah, blah, the phone went silent for a couple of seconds and I heard a quiet little "Hello?" I knew immediately it was Betty, but I was in a state of shock.

Betty: Hello?

Me: :o !! ... Hello?

Betty: This is Betty White.

Me: :o !!! OH MY GOD!!!!

:lol: :lol:

It wasn't my coolest moment ever, that's for sure. But we talked for about a minute and a half. She asked me where I was from, what I did, if I was enjoying the show, and I thanked her profusely for all the laughs she has given me -- and all of us! -- over the years. She said, "I should really thank you for sticking with me all these years!" Then I asked her to come to Canada for a book signing and she said I was "spoiling" her.

In short, the greatest 1:30 of my life! :D :D :D

It took me about 30 seconds to reasonably pull myself together and then I had the sense to record the last 50 seconds or so. Send me a PM if you want to hear it. I don't want EVERYONE to know I was a blithering idiot. LOL

Here's the full story:

I started typing this in the shoutbox in response to The Golden Boy, but I figured I might as well do it here. Anyway, last night I called the Night of Too Many Stars telethon for Autism Education after seeing Betty in the "celebrity phone bank" sitting between Tom Hanks and Maya Rudolph. I waited to see how things went for the first 45 minutes of the telethon or so before I made my call and when I did, some person named Octavia answered the phone and asked me how much I wanted to pledge. Disappointed, thinking all the celebrities were busy and I got handed off to some random person, I donated $30 so I didn't appear rude. I didn't want to say, "YOU'RE NOT GETTING A PENNY UNTIL I TALK TO BETTY!" or anything like that. :lol: After she took down my Visa number and mailing information she asked me if I wanted to enter the queue to speak to a "random Celebrity." "YES!!!!!!!!!!!", says I. LOL

After five minutes waiting on the phone listening to recorded messages saying they are not responsible for any dropped calls and blah, blah, blah, the phone went silent for a couple of seconds and I heard a quiet little "Hello?" I knew immediately it was Betty, but I was in a state of shock.

Betty: Hello?

Me: :o !! ... Hello?

Betty: This is Betty White.

Me: :o !!! OH MY GOD!!!!

:lol: :lol:

It wasn't my coolest moment ever, that's for sure. But we talked for about a minute and a half. She asked me where I was from, what I did, if I was enjoying the show, and I thanked her profusely for all the laughs she has given me -- and all of us! -- over the years. She said, "I should really thank you for sticking with me all these years!" Then I asked her to come to Canada for a book signing and she said I was "spoiling" her.

In short, the greatest 1:30 of my life! :D :D :D

It took me about 30 seconds to reasonably pull myself together and then I had the sense to record the last 50 seconds or so. Send me a PM if you want to hear it. I don't want EVERYONE to know I was a blithering idiot. LOL

That is so great Brock, i am so happy for you, why on earth did you not tell her you report to us on her every appearance, casting call and engagement since the beginning of time also? I think she would have appreciated your using her pic on your bottom line, a tribute site to one her closest friends and yet you tell us absolutely everything that happens to her, i'm sure she would have appreciated all your hard work and dedication to her longevity in entertainment.