The New Betty White Appreciation Thread

Pretty sure that was water! As in all his "chugging booze" bits. :lucythrill: BUT...yes it was delightful. She said earlier on The View how all the questions are usually scripted and then she harkened back to The Old Days where they just "wing(ed) it" on chat shows. I think Dave did her proud tonight. It felt as fresh as she used to like it! Fully winged! Wanged?? Wung?? :lucyhehe:

I was just going to mention that, i think i already did on another thread, scripted shows always stink, no spontineity, Betty said that with Dave it's all off the cuff and it ended up being the best interview she's ever done. She's on Late night with Jimmy Fallon tonight.

Betty White swills vodka with David Letterman, celebrates birthday in New York

Betty White, the Hollywood It Girl this past year, celebrated her 89th birthday in New York. There was a party on Tuesday (Jan. 18), though her actual birthday was Monday, and an appearance on "The Late Show with David Letterman."

"For an 89 year-old broad, I couldn't be happier," says Betty. Letterman busts out an old glamour shot of Betty in what we imagine is the early 1940s -- woo woo, she was a looker.

When asked if she's going to do "SNL" again, Betty quips, "I think you do a thing once and then you run like a thief."

Letterman then asks her what she does in her free time and Betty says, "Oh, I like to do most anything. Play with animals, mostly. And vodka's kind of a hobby." So Letterman reaches down from behind the desk and produces a bottle of Grey Goose, to which Betty laughs heartily. They share some vodka, then she does a classic spit-take.

How can you not love her?

http://blog.zap2it.com/pop2it/2011/01/betty-white-swills-vodka-with-david-letterman-celebrates-birthday-in-new-york.html

The first review for Betty in "The Lost Valentine" is glowing:

Her performance in the film was remarkable for the depth of emotion displayed. I don't often shed tears during a performance, but my eyes were soppy at the appropriate moment. What a revelation and how it showed this woman's range. And what a pity we were denied so many performances during the 1950's and 1960's.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/michael-russnow/i-can-die-now-ive-met-bet_b_814111.html

Emmy #8? LOL

Caught Betty on THE TALK today on CBS, not only was she terrific and funny, but then they brought out her favorite cause, Jack Hanna and animals and she just lit up like a Christmas tree fondling and petting them. The animals, not Hanna. I also was thinking only Regis comes to mind when you think of someone who does not look their age, like Betty, then again at 79, he's a decade younger than her.

• 3 weeks later...

Bets has been nominated for Best Actress (TV) in the inaugural Comedy Awards!

Vote here: http://www.thecomedyawards.com/home/

That's way cool and of course I'd want her to win....but my initial reaction upon hearing about this show was Oh, no, just what we need!!! ANOTHER awards show???!!! Not! (But of course, I'll watch it anyways!! And more for BW than anyone else! ;) )

That's way cool and of course I'd want her to win....but my initial reaction upon hearing about this show was Oh, no, just what we need!!! ANOTHER awards show???!!! Not! (But of course, I'll watch it anyways!! And more for BW than anyone else! ;) )

I agree, please Hollywood, spare us yet another award show that will be on for a year or two and then dissapear the way the last Comedy Awards show did. It was a George Schlatter production and Lucy was one of the five first ladies inducted into their Hall of Fame of Comedy.

Betty has been received a 2011 Gracie Award for her work on Cleveland!!

http://www.variety.c...735?refCatId=14

Well of COURSE she has!! At this rate she'll be voted our next President....which is A-Okay with me!! I don't think Fran's show has actually sold yet, they just shot the pilot (it's pilot season -- Sherri Shepard just did one too despite no mention of it on The View -- makes me wonder if she wants to leave but they don't want to say anything -- yet! Hmmm.). "Hot" is shot at the old MTM Studios now called CBS Radford here in the San Fernando Valley. Also former home to many other sitcom classics, including "Gilligan's Island", "Roseanne", "Seinfield", "Will & Grace" and of course, all the 3 camera MTM classics, "TMTMS", both Bob Newhart shows, "Phyllis", "Rhoda", etc. etc. Lots of history in them thar buildings! ;)

You went? Excuse you, where was your full report yesterday? :angry:

DETAILS! DETAILS!

Hey, I wasn't the only of the "Lucy contingent" present! Besides, I don't have a photographic memory to "rerun" what was said word for word, so I hope whomever taped those moments and put them up on YouTube has more footage to post! Suffice it to say, it was a WONDERFUL panel, despite the moderator whom I've seen before at these things and is not my favorite interviewer. Despite that, she did ask mostly stuff as fans what we'd want to know. And although I'm stating the obvious here, these gals REALLY do all love and respect one another. Several times during the evening, Betty grabbed Val's hand and squeezed it affectionately. There were several times where Wendy laughed so much she snorted, which sent the audience and her co-stars into hysterics! Show creator/writer/EP Suzanne Martin was lovely too and said she got her start, after co-writing a script with her husband, on Ellen Degeneres' eponymous 90s sitcom. She also wrote for Frasier, where most of the other writers come from as well.

The just filmed an episode with guest star Doris Roberts and the next one will feature Jane Leeves' former co-star John Mahoney.

The episode they screened airs (I think) tonight at 10, so it hasn't aired here yet: it involves Leeves character meeting her given up for adoption son for the first time; the scene on the porch when they trade accents is hysterical; the last scene with Leeves and her son in the hospital is quite touching. I hope this kid makes a return appearance, he was quite good.

Hopefully this evening will be one that will eventually be released on DVD as have many of the other Paleyfest events from past festivals, usually the more popular ones that ended up selling out (last night's event didn't, unfortunately) as apparently did True Blood the other night and the one upcoming for the Freaks & Geeks/Undeclared reunion.

White Collar the night before was twice as packed but not nearly as much fun! ;)

• 2 weeks later...