Your Least Favourite Lucy Episodes

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No, it's not that, remember that everybody has different tastes and also it's from sixty years ago and what was popular or IN at one time changes with time too.  I'm sure some kids today watching see things they never even heard of and also Lucy being so subservient to Ricky HAS TO BE galling to some young women today.  To them, wife asking hubby for money is just not funny.

Oh I wasn't talking about that one, I loved it.  Especially when the shoe went a bit too far and she had to retrieve it so far that you just know it wasn't supposed to go that far, might have been in De De's lap for all we know, LOL!  I loved absolutely all of Danny's appearances on her shows, even hers on HIS, my fave being the Lucy Desi comedy hour which is probably the best one they ever did.

Frankie Avalon takes up too much of that episode. Same problem on HL too. At least we get Kim doing Cher saves it.

Something occured to me watching Lucy on the plane. She seems to tug at her dress a lot. Once she sits and at the angle it has to be filmed it can be very easy to get an up skirt shot. Since she had to wear the pink dress to match continuity to the special do you think she wished she had that dress made longer or had a different one?

OMG this is so weird, I was thinking the exact same thing when watching it yesterday.  I know it's a beautiful dress that matches the lining of her coat, BUT, yes, she is constantly tugging at it all through the ep and it must have been very distracting and annoying for her to have to do that.  I understand that if she did not keep her knees together, we'd have gotten a whole different SHOW, but still.  And I was also surprised she dropped champagne on that dress at one point, knowing how she was so meticulous with her clothes.  Was this scene on the plane exactly the same as the one she did with Gale on that Victor Borge special? 

I didn't think that was the dress that went into the Thames, she was wearing a coat also, was it the one that matched that dress?  Maybe she had more than one then.  When she loved an outfit, she would have more than one made, especially if she knew she might ruin it.

It was the dress that went into the drink. They went right from the airport to the river. It was pink dress, pink coat and then that ponch thing she put on over it at the river. I think it was the same.

Remember the green dress from LLT that she wore to make dinner and get covered in everything? It came out looking ok and took another bath when she jumped into the pool in ILL.

It was the dress that went into the drink. They went right from the airport to the river. It was pink dress, pink coat and then that ponch thing she put on over it at the river. I think it was the same.

Remember the green dress from LLT that she wore to make dinner and get covered in everything? It came out looking ok and took another bath when she jumped into the pool in ILL.

For filming purposes they often have "dupes"/more than one item of the clothing they wear in a scene, especially if they know something's going to be spilled on it (per the script), get soaked, etc. etc.; that way the actor just has to change into another one, they don't have to hold up production while the damn thing dries/gets cleaned/etc. 

There's a couple of stores here in LA (one right near me here in Burbank, which makes sense given all the studios nearby) called "It's A Wrap" where they sell clothes that were used in films and TV shows and there's often the same men's shirt, for example, identical, same size, with two or three, sometimes more, exactly alike. They usually group stuff by what show or movie it came from.... It's pretty cool!  

:peachonthebeach:

Awwwwwww, that's bad that you feel that way, but they're the last group people are allowed to pick on since we gays are now off limits.  I saw a lady just yesterday who had a huge neck like Mama June and I just felt so sorry for her, nobody would look at her, it was so sad. 

Especially in the gay.world ... I know I would NOT be.single if I didn't have my current girth....and what people don't get...when folks are happy they don't pack the pounds on...so it's kinda a doubl edged sword... (srry to be so personal...but right now you guys are my only peeps at this time)... However pitaful that is lol.

Listen, I was 130 lbs till I was 35, painfully thin when you consider I'm six feet one.  Then I got my teeth fixed, I was poisoning my system the dentist said, so he fixed them, told me I would gain weight, I did, 50 lbs in one month, so at 180, I was the ideal weight for my height.  Stayed at 180 for decades.  THEN, I got older, and then lost my job and thought of nothing but eating for the last year and 3 months, I was shocked when I weighed myself and found I was 210, and lately even 220.  After just watching desserts, I am down to 210 after a week or two and should get down to my 180 again, which would lower my blood pressure, I'm in stroke territory of 200 over 110.  I've recently lowered it to 160 over 90 but I'm taking three Chinese teas for high blood pressure every day, my ideal there would be 140 over 80 but I doubt i'll see THAT until I'm on my death bed.  LOL!  The constant chocolate eating is not helping and everything tastes bland without salt which is the biggest culprit, thank God it's high blood pressure instead of diabetes because with the way I consume sugar, I would have checked out long ago.

It's always surprising when some of my favorites make someone else's WORST list.

Like the Lucy Show episodes below.

"Lucy the Music Lover" how can you NOT love an episode with lines like "You didn't waste any time turning on your Bunson Burner, Bagley"? (Or as Lucy might say to Viv after she got married: "You didn't waste any time turning on your Bagley Burner, Bunson"). IMO the best of the three "being someone else's hands" episodes.

"Countess" --I know other people who do NOT like the Countess episodes but I think Ann was a great addition to the show.  At least it gave it a little continuity.

"Music World" ---maybe you have to have lived through the Shindig/Hullabaloo era of TV to appreciate this one.  Yes, it's a little early for California Carmichael to appear on national TV -- then back to normal life the following week with no mention of it again, but I the comedy is so bright (and Lucy's singing is so good) that I can overlook those lapses.  Perhaps they should have included a cutaway shot of Chris and her sorority sisters watching "Wingding" and given Candy one final "Oh, Mother!"

"Lucy and Danny Thomas".  People always say it's a remake of "Gets In Pictures" when really it's just the one segment at the end of Lucy stumbling with the building on her head and falling backwards as she goes up the stairs.  Other people repeated their best bits but Lucy's reruns were still on and this particular ILL episode was SO memorable.  And Lucy looks so GREAT! I find every scene in "Danny" enjoyable. It's TOPS!-- and I don't care what anyone else, including bored and talented posters picked at random from our audience, think!!

"Arthur Godfrey"--my favorite of season three!

I can't defend some of your Here's Lucy choices except to say that if I rank them compared to HL standards, "Mod" "Liberace" "Jim Bailey" and "Phil Harris" are better than a lot of others.  I forgive "Professor" EVERYTHING because of the last LOL shot of Lucy interrupting Gale's watusi dancing.

The Lucy Show: Season 1

"Lucy, the Music Lover" (episode #8)

The Lucy Show: Season 2

"Lucy Teaches Ethel Merman To Sing" (episode #44)

The Lucy Show: Season 3

"Lucy and the Countess" (episode #78)

"Lucy and Arthur Godfrey" (episode #81)

The Lucy Show: Season 4

"Lucy In the Music World" (episode #89)

"Lucy Helps Danny Thomas" (episode #92)

It's always surprising when some of my favorites make someone else's WORST list.

Like the Lucy Show episodes below.

"Lucy the Music Lover" how can you NOT love an episode with lines like "You didn't waste any time turning on your Bunson Burner, Bagley"? (Or as Lucy might say to Viv after she got married: "You didn't waste any time turning on your Bagley Burner, Bunson"). IMO the best of the three "being someone else's hands" episodes.

"Countess" --I know other people who do NOT like the Countess episodes but I think Ann was a great addition to the show.  At least it gave it a little continuity.

"Music World" ---maybe you have to have lived through the Shindig/Hullabaloo era of TV to appreciate this one.  Yes, it's a little early for California Carmichael to appear on national TV -- then back to normal life the following week with no mention of it again, but I the comedy is so bright (and Lucy's singing is so good) that I can overlook those lapses.  Perhaps they should have included a cutaway shot of Chris and her sorority sisters watching "Wingding" and given Candy one final "Oh, Mother!"

"Lucy and Danny Thomas".  People always say it's a remake of "Gets In Pictures" when really it's just the one segment at the end of Lucy stumbling with the building on her head and falling backwards as she goes up the stairs.  Other people repeated their best bits but Lucy's reruns were still on and this particular ILL episode was SO memorable.  I find every scene in "Danny" enjoyable and Lucy looks so GREAT! 

"Arthur Godfrey"--my favorite of season three!

I can't defend some of your Here's Lucy choices except to say that if I rank them compared to HL standards, "Mod" "Liberace" "Jim Bailey" and "Phil Harris" are better than a lot of others.  I forgive "Professor" EVERYTHING because of the last LOL shot of Lucy interrupting Gale's watusi dancing.

I'm with you, Neil, I can't fault any of those as "worst of"s when they contain so many gems!  :peachonthebeach:

You mean Ken Berry, I agree, her and her damn musicals.  But I agree with Neil and Ann Sothern should have been hired as a great foil for her and done the rest of the series.  THEY WERE SENSATIONAL TOGETHER.  However, just reread Herb Solow's Star Trek book and he says that when he met Lucy for the first time, she was upset because a show she was doing with Ann was not working script wise, director wise and almost everything else, of course Herbie could be wrong.  He said Lucy and Desi built this studio DESILU, actually three different studios instead of saying they bought RKO.

Archived