The Essential I Love Lucy Collection

mickie

Last night I watched Leave Her To Heaven and all I could think (aside from being petrified by Gene Tierney) was, "I wish this had been filmed in black and white." The color looked tacky and it really took away from an otherwise great film. That's how I feel about colorized I Love Lucy, and I think it's worse here because it's artificial.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Last night I watched Leave Her To Heaven and all I could think (aside from being petrified by Gene Tierney) was, "I wish this had been filmed in black and white." The color looked tacky and it really took away from an otherwise great film. That's how I feel about colorized I Love Lucy, and I think it's worse here because it's artificial.

I agree! I've posted most of my thoughts on this over on the colorization thread, but I have something else I want to ad.

While I think those in charge did a beautiful job with both the Scotland and Italian Movie episodes (and they do make a nice sampler, so to say) I think it should end there. I don't think colour is necessary to prolong the life of this show, and those who refuse to see it due to it being in B&W have no right to watch it in the first place. True, there are a lot of things that can be changed, and a lot of things that SHOULD be changed, but this is not one of those things. Accept it as it is, don't expect it to bend to your expectations.

And Lucypicturelover, I do respect your opinion and thank you for sharing your view of things. I think you make some great points, but I think B&W is not a dead end on blu-ray at all. I've seen some classic B&W footage on Bluray and, if done right, is stunning. All About Eve looks gorgeous, and I hope to see some other cinema greats get the same kind of treatment down the line.

I think excessive use of colorization will give people the idea that EVERYTHING should be made in colour. While it is a painstaking process and in many ways an art form unto itself, it's more the implications it brings up than the actual act of doing it that bothers me. As I said, I don't like the idea of people sitting out there "waiting" for it to be made to suit their tastes. Too many people in this world feel entitled to things they don't deserve in the first place; they've just got to learn to accept some things as they are.

Okay, didn't mean to get so indignant there, but I've said my case. Enjoy the pretty screenshots of the colour show that was made to pander to the petty masses (okay, SERIOUSLY, I'm done here, hahaha :) )

It's funny that some of those hand color-tinted images of Lucy that appeared on magazine covers in the '50s seem more accurate today than these modern digital colorizations.

I do fully support the addition of color, but it looks like we still have a long way to go.

What bother me the most are those salmon colored fleshtones; they are reminiscent of those very early 2-strip Technicolor test films of the '30s. :lucydisgust:

It's funny that some of those hand color-tinted images of Lucy that appeared on magazine covers in the '50s seem more accurate today than these modern digital colorizations.

I do fully support the addition of color, but it looks like we still have a long way to go.

What bother me the most are those salmon colored fleshtones; they are reminiscent of those very early 2-strip Technicolor test films of the '30s. :lucydisgust:

Oh for corn sakes, go talk to Joey and both of you can just watch the damned shows in black and white then, LOL! And get :lucy1::desi1: instead of :lucydesi:

Thought today as I haven't got anything in ages and sooooo wanna see this colourised episode.

Don't ya hate it when companies release cool stuff like this but won't ship internationally. AARRGGHH!!!

Well, that's stupid! You'd think they'd want to make even more money! So aren't there ways around that?? Like, people who you know who have one (cough) and can get a copy to you (cough, cough)?? ;)

Oh for corn sakes, go talk to Joey and both of you can just watch the damned shows in black and white then, LOL! And get :lucy1::desi1: instead of :lucydesi:

Ohhhhhhhh, you're always singing! if it were up to you, Citizen Kane would only be seen colorized and they'd put arms back on the Venus de Milo! Don't even get me started what you'd do to the statue of David!!! lucyhorror.JPG

• 5 months later...

If you like Desi Arnaz and Bill Frawley with a slightly green tinge, then absolutely! :lucythrill:

Somehow I missed this entire thread and the fact that "Italian Movie" had been colorized for this DVD set. It looks as though they left Fred's head black-and-white. This was a good choice for colorization but the colors seem a bit on the pale side. I agree with whoever nominated "Don Loper" as another good choice for I too want to see "pink mink" and the dress that's lined with fuschia and purple.

Looking through these old posts, does anyone know what became of 'good 'ol CLAUDE'?

Somehow I missed this entire thread and the fact that "Italian Movie" had been colorized for this DVD set. It looks as though they left Fred's head black-and-white. This was a good choice for colorization but the colors seem a bit on the pale side. I agree with whoever nominated "Don Loper" as another good choice for I too want to see "pink mink" and the dress that's lined with fuschia and purple.

Looking through these old posts, does anyone know what became of 'good 'ol CLAUDE'?

Have yet to see the Italian episode in color. Not sure if I wanna.

Yeah! I miss Claude! Ive been waiting for his return!

Archived