The Essential I Love Lucy Collection

mickie

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking through these old posts, does anyone know what became of 'good 'ol CLAUDE'?

Neil: Been wondering the same thing for months now....ANYONE???? Hoping he's well and happy. Would love to have him back here with his acid comments.... JK

• 3 months later...

I know, right? I'm probably going to write an essay for my blog condemning colorization.

Bless you, my child! :D Not that that will stop them from eventually doing it to the entire $erie$ !!;)

(Actually I don't think the "vat scenes" look too shabby but for some reason, the other "interior" set scenes (hotel, train, etc.) look drab and "not quite right" but then, to me colorized stuff usually doesn't so.....there you have it.)

:lucythrill:

Oh will you guys PLEASE get with the program, colorization is where it's at, some people will never watch anything in black and white and this is a way for the series to get those elusive fans. I cannot wait to see the whole series colorized. Hope it's better than those awful Bewitched drab colors, but seeing that beautiful SCOTLAND episode done so beautifully makes me yearn for the whole series that way.

That was great, i have no idea why you PURISTS always have your jockeys in a knot over this coloring business. That looked just fine. Can't wait for them to put it out in BRAILLE for blind people.

The Scotland episode looked a little better overall. But this one wasn't the best. The print they used looked desaturated, so everything was a bit brighter and more washed out than it should've been. Hence the unnatural skin tones.

To me, colour kills the comedy. It's obviously colorized and therefore it draws attention to itself. I experience the same thing when watching the colorized Bewitched and Jeannie episodes (which were done a while back and don't hold up well, but same principle applies) It's too obviously a colorized job. Not natural on the eye.

But most importantly it's the principle of the thing. If someone has a problem with B&W, that's THEIR problem. The whole world shouldn't be modified to suit their narrow tastes. Learn to respect things for what they are, not what you want them to be.

The Scotland episode looked a little better overall. But this one wasn't the best. The print they used looked desaturated, so everything was a bit brighter and more washed out than it should've been. Hence the unnatural skin tones.

Ever think that maybe it was Bill who was washed out in real life at this point? LOL!

But most importantly it's the principle of the thing. If someone has a problem with B&W, that's THEIR problem. The whole world shouldn't be modified to suit their narrow tastes. Learn to respect things for what they are, not what you want them to be.

But that's the thing bubbela, it's still available in black and white for the purists and it would also be available in color for the ones that want it that way and won't watch anything in black and white. We just want the greatest tv show ever made to be available to a whole new audience fifty years from now and who's to say what advances they'll have for colorization by that time.

But that's the thing bubbela, it's still available in black and white for the purists and it would also be available in color for the ones that want it that way and won't watch anything in black and white. We just want the greatest tv show ever made to be available to a whole new audience fifty years from now and who's to say what advances they'll have for colorization by that time.

I so agree with that! The shows success goes deeper than color and BW, that I know- but cementing its place in a current pop culture, is making it fit within the current times.

I kinda feel like the show HAS to be colorized in order to keep its popularity for the next 60 years.

Its 2012- its a little nuts to see everything in HD, wide screen and colorful, then up on the TV comes a grainy black and white print of ILL?

Reminds me of my young nieces and nephews (ages 2-11) the younger ones use to do something that I've always noticed: When the show would come on TV, they would kinda groan or say "change it" as a reaction to the color lol But about 4 minutes into the show, maybe 5 I would turn the channel and they'd say "CHANGE IT BACK" lol Especially with the first season episodes- They were put off by the color, but they were intrigued with the characters.

I think everyone understands the nostalgic appreciation for the show, but how many times do we all have to say in our minds:

"I wonder how that would have looked in color" . With the right pristine colorizing, the show could probably go back into prime time lol Imagine that? A season of Color I Love lucy, where they color about 20-24 of The best episodes, or the best shows to colorize. UGH. amazing. Ive always wondered what the Florida trip episode looked like, with Lucys orange hair against the blue back ground of the sky.

Think of it, 5-10 years from now, when colorizing gets an opportunity to get even better, seeing those scenes in color would be refreshing.

I so agree with that! The shows success goes deeper than color and BW, that I know- but cementing its place in a current pop culture, is making it fit within the current times.

I kinda feel like the show HAS to be colorized in order to keep its popularity for the next 60 years.

Its 2012- its a little nuts to see everything in HD, wide screen and colorful, then up on the TV comes a grainy black and white print of ILL?

Reminds me of my young nieces and nephews (ages 2-11) the younger ones use to do something that I've always noticed: When the show would come on TV, they would kinda groan or say "change it" as a reaction to the color lol But about 4 minutes into the show, maybe 5 I would turn the channel and they'd say "CHANGE IT BACK" lol Especially with the first season episodes- They were put off by the color, but they were intrigued with the characters.

I think everyone understands the nostalgic appreciation for the show, but how many times do we all have to say in our minds:

"I wonder how that would have looked in color" . With the right pristine colorizing, the show could probably go back into prime time lol Imagine that? A season of Color I Love lucy, where they color about 20-24 of The best episodes, or the best shows to colorize. UGH. amazing. Ive always wondered what the Florida trip episode looked like, with Lucys orange hair against the blue back ground of the sky.

Think of it, 5-10 years from now, when colorizing gets an opportunity to get even better, seeing those scenes in color would be refreshing.

Back a few posts Joey was saying i'd even want the greatest film ever made "CITIZEN KANE" to be colorized, actually, yes, i would, if it makes a whole other generation of fans appreciate it as they watch it in color for the very first time, then, it's worth it to me. I think it might be a generational thing, i'm older and remember when all we had was black and white movies, then color came in and it brought people back into the theaters. Same for TV, adding color brought excitement and a renewed interest in seeing everything in COLOR, it meant everything was more realistic, not to mention more beautiful. Then this backlash happened when Ted Turner decided to colorize classic films, and some people just couldn't take that, sacrilege they called it. What i'm saying is you can have both. So, the purists see it the way it was meant to be seen and the progressives get to see it a whole different way, but both versions should be available and that way, everybody's happy. If you never want to see the shows in color, then just don't watch them that way. Remember how excited we were when seeing that color footage while they were filming IN COLOR, to see all the sets the way they really were as Lam just stated. Then we got that beautiful Scotland episode, i hated musicals till i saw that, LOL! As far as I'm concerned, watching ILL in black and white on a 21 inch screen, the way most people saw it back then, grainy picture, lines across the picture, no wonder the actors exaggerated their acting, it wasn't seen properly by most of the audience. NOW, you get to see remastered versions, on gigantic screens, and we fans are spotting all these things we just never noticed before as the picture is so clear and so humongous. Now, new advances in the coloring process are only going to make everything better in the future and like Lam said so beautifully, no more wondering what color do you think that is, and seeing TV's most beautiful woman with her RED hair, RED lips, BLUE eyes and eye shadow and wearing colorful dresses and outfits that will modernize the sitcom for future audiences long after we're all gone. Well, me at least.

I see what you mean. The trouble there, however, is eventually there wouldn't be any choice. Eventually the colour versions would all but obliterate the memory of the B&W ones.

Look at Jeannie and Bewitched. Yes, they released the B&W sets too, but they're next to impossible to find nowadays. Stores only stock the colour versions (with the exception of Cracker Barrell gift shops, LOL)

Even the complete Jeannie release only included the colorized version of season 1. Not really any choice there, right? And for online viewing services and downloads, only the colour copies are offered. It's as if the show never even started in B&W.

Granted, a show like Lucy might be given a few more options than a few seasons of Jeannie & Bewitched, shows which did transition to colour later on. But, equally important, I don't think the technology is quite there yet. It still draws too much attention to itself. But even when it does improve I don't see myself changing my mind.

Have you seen how beautiful B&W can look when restored for blu-ray? Just watch All About Eve or the upcoming Sunset Blvd. STUNNING. Hi-def can really bring out so much detail in old film. By all means re-scan Lucy in hi-def, but it'll look damn good in B&W as it is.

Back a few posts Joey was saying i'd even want the greatest film ever made "CITIZEN KANE" to be colorized, actually, yes, i would, if it makes a whole other generation of fans appreciate it as they watch it in color for the very first time, then, it's worth it to me. I think it might be a generational thing, i'm older and remember when all we had was black and white movies, then color came in and it brought people back into the theaters. Same for TV, adding color brought excitement and a renewed interest in seeing everything in COLOR, it meant everything was more realistic, not to mention more beautiful. Then this backlash happened when Ted Turner decided to colorize classic films, and some people just couldn't take that, sacrilege they called it. What i'm saying is you can have both. So, the purists see it the way it was meant to be seen and the progressives get to see it a whole different way, but both versions should be available and that way, everybody's happy. If you never want to see the shows in color, then just don't watch them that way. Remember how excited we were when seeing that color footage while they were filming IN COLOR, to see all the sets the way they really were as Lam just stated. Then we got that beautiful Scotland episode, i hated musicals till i saw that, LOL! As far as I'm concerned, watching ILL in black and white on a 21 inch screen, the way most people saw it back then, grainy picture, lines across the picture, no wonder the actors exaggerated their acting, it wasn't seen properly by most of the audience. NOW, you get to see remastered versions, on gigantic screens, and we fans are spotting all these things we just never noticed before as the picture is so clear and so humongous. Now, new advances in the coloring process are only going to make everything better in the future and like Lam said so beautifully, no more wondering what color do you think that is, and seeing TV's most beautiful woman with her RED hair, RED lips, BLUE eyes and eye shadow and wearing colorful dresses and outfits that will modernize the sitcom for future audiences long after we're all gone. Well, me at least.

As far as I'm concerned, if fans can't watch something the way it was originally done and intended, that's something they need to work on. Why should everything be modified to pander to the masses?

Well said, Brian (LotusBud) everything you said in your last couple of posts, and this from a 20-something smarty pants who you'd think would want to see ILL colorized! Bravo, dear sir for your eloquently written points. :D

Listen, it's not that I don't "get" why those of you who want it done want it done, I just feel the reasons to not do it (e.g., we don't have enough reference materials to definitively know what color(s) everything should be colored, so it's left to some shmuck sitting in a room by himself deciding whether a certain dress, wall or car should be blue, brown or green; the technology still leaves much to be desired; etc.) far outweigh the reasons to do it (e.g. to make it palatable to a generation who watch everything on their i-Whatevers and probably not on a screen any bigger than 5 or 6 inches!).

When all is said and done, for me it boils down to this: it wasn't made that way, so we don't need to see it in a "bastardized" form.

Well said, Brian (LotusBud) everything you said in your last couple of posts, and this from a 20-something smarty pants who you'd think would want to see ILL colorized! Bravo, dear sir for your eloquently written points. :D

Listen, it's not that I don't "get" why those of you who want it done want it done, I just feel the reasons to not do it (e.g., we don't have enough reference materials to definitively know what color(s) everything should be colored, so it's left to some shmuck sitting in a room by himself deciding whether a certain dress, wall or car should be blue, brown or green; the technology still leaves much to be desired; etc.) far outweigh the reasons to do it (e.g. to make it palatable to a generation who watch everything on their i-Whatevers and probably not on a screen any bigger than 5 or 6 inches!).

When all is said and done, for me it boils down to this: it wasn't made that way, so we don't need to see it in a "bastardized" form.

I get what you're both saying and i respect that but we're never gonna change each other's minds. When they come out in color, i'll put them next to each other on the shelves and then maybe, who knows, maybe i will be so used to seeing them in black and white, that i'll want to watch them that way. BUT, anything that offers me a different way of seeing or watching the greatest tv show ever made, so be it and i want in. By the way, the show was made to be seen on a regular normal 21 inch set, does that mean we should not watch the restored versions in HD or on Blu Ray on a gigantic screen, they now make a 90 inch screen that i will be getting very soon, according to you guys, i guess i should go buy a 21 inch black and white only set from an antiques dealer and watch the show on that? LOL! :lucyshock::lucythrill:

Well, me at least.

ER............... " As far as I'm concerned, watching ILL in black and white on a 21 inch screen, the way most people saw it back then......."

MY MEMORY: Black and white, 17-inch screeen, with Sylvania highlight around the small screen!!!! That's how I remember it.... If you had a 21-inch screen back then, you were WEALTHY!!!!

People thought WE were rich; grocery store on the front of our house - . . . . . OURS!!!! Neighborhood kids on their bellies, between living and dining rooms, watching the FIRST TV in the neighborhood, OURS, and GLAD, HAPPY, THRILLED ... to be there. And....we were NOT RICH!!!!

Just watched the snippets from Lucy's Italian movie. The colorization has come a LONG way since it first hit the scene in the early 90s. I remember buying the colorized "It's a Wonderful Life" and hating it. All the colors looked pastel, and the teeth were gray and dingy. Now, apparently, they've tidied up the teeth thing, but the colors overall just don't pop.

If you want an example, just put in Season Two of The Lucy Show. Seeing Lucy and Vivian in color was something of a shock. The colors just JUMPED out at you, and both of them were so glam, what with the blue eyeshadow, the bright hair, even the decor of Lucy's living room--with those snazzy couch pillows--just screamed color. I'm not getting that impression from the colorized episode. It looks "old," if that makes sense--washed out. Still, it's enough of a novelty to attract more buyers to the sets.

God, how many video/dvd releases have there been of I Love Lucy? I bought the Lucy tapes in those big clunky boxes from Columbia House in the early 90s, then the individual DVD seasons, then the entire show, and now new releases, and eventually a Blu-ray, followed by colorized seasons. Will the madness ever stop?

Just watched the snippets from Lucy's Italian movie. The colorization has come a LONG way since it first hit the scene in the early 90s. I remember buying the colorized "It's a Wonderful Life" and hating it. All the colors looked pastel, and the teeth were gray and dingy. Now, apparently, they've tidied up the teeth thing, but the colors overall just don't pop.

If you want an example, just put in Season Two of The Lucy Show. Seeing Lucy and Vivian in color was something of a shock. The colors just JUMPED out at you, and both of them were so glam, what with the blue eyeshadow, the bright hair, even the decor of Lucy's living room--with those snazzy couch pillows--just screamed color. I'm not getting that impression from the colorized episode. It looks "old," if that makes sense--washed out. Still, it's enough of a novelty to attract more buyers to the sets.

God, how many video/dvd releases have there been of I Love Lucy? I bought the Lucy tapes in those big clunky boxes from Columbia House in the early 90s, then the individual DVD seasons, then the entire show, and now new releases, and eventually a Blu-ray, followed by colorized seasons. Will the madness ever stop?

Nope, then they'rell be a braille version for blind people, foreign language versions, then other countries will start their own versions, Taliban Lucy being the most popular, then the Chinese will come out with a LUCY line for Walmart, the gay version, I Love Brucee will bring us marriage equality. A Lucy Broadway show, Big Screen Lucy movie, STAR WARS, THE LUCY ENCOUNTER, Loonie Lucy drug line, it can't stop, CBS and Lucy's kids need the money.

Archived