Last Lucy Item You Bought?

Brock

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I got a bunch of old movie magazines at an outdoor antique market today and one of the issues of Screen Stories has a two page spread on Too Many Girls in the middle of the issue, but at the front they have a picture of Lucy out on a hot date with Al Hall. I guess they didn't get the memo. :lucyhaha:

I just got "I Had A Ball" by Michael Z. Stern. It was available at my Barnes And Nobles. I was hoping that "Senior Pens..." would be available in inventory as well but it wasn't. I am going to check a couple other venues and if I have no success, I will order it.

"I Had A Ball"- This book brings back great memories when I was growing up seeing the film "Yours, Mine, and Ours", and "Here's Lucy". I didn't know that the shows for "Here's Lucy" was being filmed at Universal Studios.

The section of the book that relates to me is the Lucille Ball memorial that was held at Saint Monica's Church. This was the church that I attended services at when I was working in downtown Santa Monica. I remember reading about the memorial the day after in the newspaper and seeing a photo of Lucie Arnaz and Carol Burnett attending. I thought to myself at the time. Gee, if I had known, I would have went over to that church after work to see it with the 500 hundred other fans outside. If I went it would have been 501 fans.

I loved the photos with all the stars and celebrities. I went over to Michael Stern's site and saw a whole lot more. I am going to treasure this book along with the other Lucy books that I have. Thank you, Michael, for sharing your story with us. :)

I just got "I Had A Ball" by Michael Z. Stern. It was available at my Barnes And Nobles. I was hoping that "Senior Pens..." would be available in inventory as well but it wasn't. I am going to check a couple other venues and if I have no success, I will order it.

"I Had A Ball"- This book brings back great memories when I was growing up seeing the film "Yours, Mine, and Ours", and "Here's Lucy". I didn't know that the shows for "Here's Lucy" was being filmed at Universal Studios.

The section of the book that relates to me is the Lucille Ball memorial that was held at Saint Monica's Church. This was the church that I attended services at when I was working in downtown Santa Monica. I remember reading about the memorial the day after in the newspaper and seeing a photo of Lucie Arnaz and Carol Burnett attending. I thought to myself at the time. Gee, if I had known, I would have went over to that church after work to see it with the 500 hundred other fans outside. If I went it would have been 501 fans.

I loved the photos with all the stars and celebrities. I went over to Michael Stern's site and saw a whole lot more. I am going to treasure this book along with the other Lucy books that I have. Thank you, Michael, for sharing your story with us. :)

Yes, H I S story, i was looking for more of H E R story. I did find out she had white carpeting installed in the house, that was a surprise.

Finally schlepped to a B&N downtown and found Cindy De La Hoz' beautiful Lucille Ball Treasures book, which was worth the price ($25) for the stunning cover shot alone (although familiar to most, I'm sure), as well as a very cool feature -- much like the Elizabeth Edwards' Scrapbooks -- where there are several sections covering different periods of her life where there is a tissue-like pocket with reproductions of stills, show tickets (e.g., one's for a taping of My Favorite Husband), pages of Wildcat script and even a program from the premiere Mame -- how cool is THAT??! :D

I haven't read it cover to cover yet but I do already take issue with one thing she wrote and that is actually stating that Stone Pillow was one of LB's career failures, which I beg to differ as it was highly Nielsen-rated, the reviews may have been mixed but many lauded her performance and it was in part what compelled her to return to weekly series television. Many of her old loyal fans wonder to this day why there wasn't an Emmy nomination push but I suspect that a large part of that may have been the cost and when you-know-who was involved with that, sometimes things went the way of the wind and I've always suspected that's what happened in this case because it was criminal that she didn't get a nomination for that!

Also whilst at Target grabbed a copy of the newly-issued Best of I Love Lucy DVD ($10 on sale, $15 regularly) mainly to add it to the treasure trove. Of course, nobody asked me what MY favorites are and of the 14 eps included, two easily I think could be replaced with others, particularly since -- surprise!! -- I was right, not one sixth (final) season episode was included, which I find criminal when at least "Lucy Does the Tango", featuring the series' longest laugh on record, SHOULD have been included -- at least over "Paris at Last" or maybe even "Paris Gown" ....IMHO (what's so hot about Paris all of a sudden??)

marionstrong.gif

But that's just me.

;)

• Like 3

Finally schlepped to a B&N downtown and found Cindy De La Hoz' beautiful Lucille Ball Treasures book, which was worth the price ($25) for the stunning cover shot alone (although familiar to most, I'm sure), as well as a very cool feature -- much like the Elizabeth Edwards' Scrapbooks -- where there are several sections covering different periods of her life where there is a tissue-like pocket with reproductions of stills, show tickets (e.g., one's for a taping of My Favorite Husband), pages of Wildcat script and even a program from the premiere Mame -- how cool is THAT??! :D

I haven't read it cover to cover yet but I do already take issue with one thing she wrote and that is actually stating that Stone Pillow was one of LB's career failures, which I beg to differ as it was highly Nielsen-rated, the reviews may have been mixed but many lauded her performance and it was in part what compelled her to return to weekly series television. Many of her old loyal fans wonder to this day why there wasn't an Emmy nomination push but I suspect that a large part of that may have been the cost and when you-know-who was involved with that, sometimes things went the way of the wind and I've always suspected that's what happened in this case because it was criminal that she didn't get a nomination for that!

Also whilst at Target grabbed a copy of the newly-issued Best of I Love Lucy DVD ($10 on sale, $15 regularly) mainly to add it to the treasure trove. Of course, nobody asked me what MY favorites are and of the 14 eps included, two easily I think could be replaced with others, particularly since -- surprise!! -- I was right, not one sixth (final) season episode was included, which I find criminal when at least "Lucy Does the Tango", featuring the series' longest laugh on record, SHOULD have been included -- at least over "Paris at Last" or maybe even "Paris Gown" ....IMHO (what's so hot about Paris all of a sudden??)

marionstrong.gif

But that's just me.

;)

Yeah, LOL! Damned frogs! LOL! Oh i so agree about Stone Pillow and is further proof of how underappreciated she was at that time, unlike today where they worship the ground these old stars walk on. An Emmy nomination for Stone Pillow would have been her fourteenth, but it seems thirteen screwed her being an unlucky number and all, LOL!

• 1 month later...

HMV called to tell me my Lucy TCM movies are in, only waited a few days to get it, picking them up tomorow morning, can't wait. Boyfriend is also looking in Delaware while he's there studying for a course, for the Cindy de la Hoz book, Lucy, Treasures, which i am dying to get but only avaialble thru Barnes and Noble, so he'll check while there to see if he can get his hands on one for me. Her OTHER Lucy book was so great and stunningly beautiful with all the pics and size and all, this one must be great too.

I just got Target's Best of 'I Love Lucy' DVD and The 'I Love Lucy' Movie DVD as birthday gifts for a fellow Lucy fan co-worker and while at it, was looking for a copy of the new Here's Lucy "Best of" for my vault but to no avail.

Guess I'll have to resort to Amazon.com for that one but am in no hurry for it although I'd love to see "Lucy is N.G. as R.N." as I don't have a copy and lord knows when these last two HL seasons are gonna come out (oh I know they are, but as Petty sang, the waiting is the hardest part!)! ;)

Beau just e mailed me from Delaware that he found me a Lucy photograph while there and it's more like a lithograph and too big to bring to me on the train. Can't wait to see THAT but i reminded him that i only collect her work on dvd or books on her so he should save his money from the other stuff out there.

This morning, went downtown and found that the main DVD store there is closing soon after 20 years of supplying me with everything Lucy. All their I Love Lucy and Lucy show dvds were gone, only a few Here's Lucy dvds left. So i hopped over to HMV where i found the Here's Lucy special dvd collection of seven of the best episodes and i tried to order the ILL obne of the same but the lady there told me it was discontinued, did you get this Brock and where did YOU get yours?

Target has also been selling seasons of I Love Lucy and TLS for $14.99 or less, worth a visit for anyone needing to complete their collection!

I was in one of my local haunts last night (Fry's) and EVERY SINGLE "ILL" BOX was cleaned out, the only thing left was ONE set of the hour-long shows!! Last week, the shelf was full of at least 3 copies from each season!! Kinda cool, right? ;)

I think the I Love Lucy B.O. collection is a Target exclusive. Maybe ask Beau to pick up a copy while he's in the states?

Now there you go again, such a horrible thing to bring up, Lucy's B O , i mean REALLY! Come one now! LOL! I thought of the same thing kiddo, telling him to pick up anything Lucy while in that small town in Delaware, BUT, it's such a small BEACH town, they might not even have a Target store. Target is coming to Canada next year by the way, they bought out a chain store here and are changing everything over as we speak, or rather POST. I also have him looking for a Barnes and Noble so i can get that Lucy TREASURES book by Cindy de la Hoz. The bahhhhhhhhhhstards won't deliver to a Canadian address, he tried that already.