A Gale memoir? Don't hold your breath!

Brock

• 8 months later...

Latest item added to the archive. I really need to get these all digitized and uploaded:

$%28KGrHqZ,!p!F!Q,NZB06BQPW694p3Q~~60_12.JPG

Wish this one is dated. I wonder why he was going to Orlando. From the writing it looks like this was later in life, so I wonder if the visit was in conjunction with Universal Florida's Lucy Tribute.

• 1 year later...

I've never heard anything but affection when people speak of Gale Gordon.

David Tucker, the author who wrote the great Verna Felton book is working on books about Reta Shaw and Alice Pearce, so he may be a natural to do one about Gale.

Check out the books offered by bearmanormedia.com

Except for one negative comment.  There was this private high school in Portland that found it within their budget to import stars to be featured in their spring musical.

I think they would come in the week of the show and run through their part and that would be it. 

They got Gale to play the Rudy Vallee part in "How to Succeed...".   This would have been around 77 or 78.  A woman connected with the drama department later told me he was "just as crabby as Mr. Mooney".   I heard that he was sick that week so that may have been it.  But high school drama kids would try the patience of even even-tempered Gale.

I saw it and he was great in it....Not a HUGE part though.  I did not go backstage or try to meet Gale and I've always regretted that my innate shyness has kept me from such opportunities.

He appeared on our version of the TV show "Wake Up, Tuckaho"  and the dim-witted host said "I don't remember you ever singing".  Obviously she had not seen Here's Lucy.  Gale answered with humility...."There's a good reason for that..."

They had Donald O'Connor come in to do the Music Man and I heard that he went up on his lines so much, he stopped the show to apologize to the audience.

• 2 weeks later...

Except for one negative comment.  There was this private high school in Portland that found it within their budget to import stars to be featured in their spring musical.

I think they would come in the week of the show and run through their part and that would be it. 

They got Gale to play the Rudy Vallee part in "How to Succeed...".   This would have been around 77 or 78.  A woman connected with the drama department later told me he was "just as crabby as Mr. Mooney".   I heard that he was sick that week so that may have been it.  But high school drama kids would try the patience of even even-tempered Gale.

I saw it and he was great in it....Not a HUGE part though.  I did not go backstage or try to meet Gale and I've always regretted that my innate shyness has kept me from such opportunities.

He appeared on our version of the TV show "Wake Up, Tuckaho"  and the dim-witted host said "I don't remember you ever singing".  Obviously she had not seen Here's Lucy.  Gale answered with humility...."There's a good reason for that..."

They had Donald O'Connor come in to do the Music Man and I heard that he went up on his lines so much, he stopped the show to apologize to the audience.

That's fabu, Neil!!  Although your innate shyness may have kept you from Gale (and who else, I wonder?), you've not done badly for yourself. :peachonthebeach:  

Interesting! The only other negative complaint I've heard is in Mel Blanc's autobiography where he randomly criticises Gale for not being as enthusiastic about the birth of the latest Blanc as he apparently should have been. Mel goes on to say that Gale was never fond of children but he and Virginia went onto adopt a couple, which was not the case. So...I think that shoots some holes in his story. lol

• 5 months later...

Archived