Doris Day's upcoming media blitz!

Brock

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, she's always been very distinguished looking but now it's like an old prune, you know, a distinguished old wrinkled prune. Nope, have no anger at all about what she said about Lucy, none whatsoever. :marionstrong::marionstrong:

Claude, do I take this to mean you think Miss Angela Lansbury is just a tad overrated??

I so love you!! I'm sorry but I just don't get this hype that she's a combination Lucille Ball/Sarah Bernhardt/Bette Davis/Ethel Merman/Katharine Hepburn/Meryl Streep/Dame Judith Anderson/Mae West that has been shoved down our throats for the last several decades. She's a competent actress, true, but I wouldn't go much beyond that.

(And not that her Lucy remarks have colored my opinion either :lucymeh::lol: )

Claude, do I take this to mean you think Miss Angela Lansbury is just a tad overrated??

I so love you!! I'm sorry but I just don't get this hype that she's a combination Lucille Ball/Sarah Bernhardt/Bette Davis/Ethel Merman/Katharine Hepburn/Meryl Streep/Dame Judith Anderson/Mae West that has been shoved down our throats for the last several decades. She's a competent actress, true, but I wouldn't go much beyond that.

(And not that her Lucy remarks have colored my opinion either :lucymeh::lol: )

LOL! I agree, she's great on Broadway in those FAKE acting shows but you Americans always fawn over any British actress with an accent. I am happy to say to this day i have NEVER sat through an episode of her Muder she wrote, you know, that show she was nominated but never got an Emmy for, LOL!

Not much new here but interesting read and several lovely pics! :D

Doris Day: New Album, Fond Memories

In a rare interview, the reclusive iconic entertainer discusses her new album My Heart, her friendship with Rock Hudson, and her status as an unlikely feminist role model.

http://www.advocate...._Fond_Memories/

• 3 months later...

88. Some sources say 90, but Doris says that is because she added two years to her age when she was 16 so she could be of age to sing in nightclubs. Doris says she is 88.

Thanks, that means Betty White can still call her KID huh? So glad she's still going strong aand i wish we could see her live on something. Anything. She never did any of the Night of 100 stars huh?

Thanks, that means Betty White can still call her KID huh? So glad she's still going strong aand i wish we could see her live on something. Anything. She never did any of the Night of 100 stars huh?

No, she won't do anything like that, won't go to the Oscars, wouldn't even attend the Grammys several years back when she was given the Lifetime Achievement award. I think the last times she appeared on television was circa 1994 when Vicki Lawrence did a full hour on her short-lived talk show at one of Doris' charity events in Carmel for a pet shelter or something like that and an on-location interview on Good Morning America from around the same period. She's been pretty reclusive since the late 1970's and even moreso since her BEST FRIENDS show ended in 1986. I think a lot of it has to do with being a private, not particularly outgoing person but maybe some of it also might be due in part to how bitchy the press can be at times to elderly female legends who dare to show their face in public when they're not working anymore.

No, she won't do anything like that, won't go to the Oscars, wouldn't even attend the Grammys several years back when she was given the Lifetime Achievement award. I think the last times she appeared on television was circa 1994 when Vicki Lawrence did a full hour on her short-lived talk show at one of Doris' charity events in Carmel for a pet shelter or something like that and an on-location interview on Good Morning America from around the same period. She's been pretty reclusive since the late 1970's and even moreso since her BEST FRIENDS show ended in 1986. I think a lot of it has to do with being a private, not particularly outgoing person but maybe some of it also might be due in part to how bitchy the press can be at times to elderly female legends who dare to show their face in public when they're not working anymore.

The Night of 100 stars were in the early eighties, she was not a recluse back then. Her own show was in the mid eighties, the animal one. And i don't think it's the fact that they are not working anymore, it has to do with fading beauty and shattering illusions unfortunately.

The Night of 100 stars were in the early eighties, she was not a recluse back then. Her own show was in the mid eighties, the animal one. And i don't think it's the fact that they are not working anymore, it has to do with fading beauty and shattering illusions unfortunately.

She was actually pretty reclusive from the late 1970's on, I don't think she did any tv at all, 1977-83, no interviews or anything, then she accepted the career award from The Golden Globes around 1984 and looking more gorgeous than ever, and then that year of the BEST FRIENDS show 1985-86. And then it was almost another decade before she appeared on VICKI and GOOD MORNING AMERICA. But no, she never appeared on any of the Night of 100 Stars episodes, unfortunately. I have the one Lucy is on (the second - was she also on the first?) and the last one from 1990 when there weren't that many greats to be on the show.

What I meant by the female legends who aren't working, we don't see them anymore so when they make a rare public appearance some bitch (often a male bitch) in a tabloid or newspaper will make a crack about how old they look now (or if they look great speculate on plastic surgery), the ones that are still active and much loved today like Betty White or Carol Channing we see all the time so they don't bother to comment maliciously about them.

Back to Doris, does anyone know if there is any truth to the story that she was offered MURDER SHE WROTE before what's her name? I've heard it was originally developed for Jean Stapleton who ultimately turned it down but there are stories about Doris also being considered.

Back to Doris, does anyone know if there is any truth to the story that she was offered MURDER SHE WROTE before what's her name? I've heard it was originally developed for Jean Stapleton who ultimately turned it down but there are stories about Doris also being considered.

Doris was supposedly offered Murder She Wrote after Jean Stapleton turned it down. It's possible that it's just a rumor, but I've never heard anyone denial. In 1991, it was announced that Doris was going to do a series of TV movies on ABC. This never happened. I wonder if this was also just a rumor reported as fact.

Here is Doris receiving her Cecil B. DeMille Award in 1989:

She was actually pretty reclusive from the late 1970's on, I don't think she did any tv at all, 1977-83, no interviews or anything, then she accepted the career award from The Golden Globes around 1984 and looking more gorgeous than ever, and then that year of the BEST FRIENDS show 1985-86. And then it was almost another decade before she appeared on VICKI and GOOD MORNING AMERICA. But no, she never appeared on any of the Night of 100 Stars episodes, unfortunately. I have the one Lucy is on (the second - was she also on the first?) and the last one from 1990 when there weren't that many greats to be on the show.

What I meant by the female legends who aren't working, we don't see them anymore so when they make a rare public appearance some bitch (often a male bitch) in a tabloid or newspaper will make a crack about how old they look now (or if they look great speculate on plastic surgery), the ones that are still active and much loved today like Betty White or Carol Channing we see all the time so they don't bother to comment maliciously about them.

Oh Doris would have been GREAT on that show instead of the old loon angie. I think it's more a beauty thing, we hate to see our great beauties looking bad, like did you ever see those Enquirer pics of ladies without make up? Oprah especially? Yuck! But it's not only AGE, Whitney Huston on drugs looked awful, and lately we have that beautiful older sister from That 70's show, she's also on drugs and she got arrested this past week and she looks so awful in her mug shot. So sad. Lucy appeared in the second Night of 100 stars and gary's the one who told her not to appear in the first, not enough big name son there for that twit. When she read the papers she was furious at him for making her miss it. She had died by the third but was shown in the Memoriam section and got a huge hand when her picture was shown, bigger than La Davis who died later the same year.

Doris was supposedly offered Murder She Wrote after Jean Stapleton turned it down. It's possible that it's just a rumor, but I've never heard anyone denial. In 1991, it was announced that Doris was going to do a series of TV movies on ABC. This never happened. I wonder if this was also just a rumor reported as fact.

Here is Doris receiving her Cecil B. DeMille Award in 1989:

Thanks so much for putting that up, she looks incredible there and sure doesn't sound like a recluse. She keeps saying that she WANTS to work again and misses it all, i guess allthe stuff offered her was below par.

• 1 year later...

Doris Day will be interviewed by Nancy Sinatra on Sirius Radio's Siriusly Sinatra channel on Sunday, June 23 at 5:00pm EST. I don't have Sirius, so I hope his pops up online somewhere.

Sirius needs to sell downloads of shows like that Stu guy! This is one I would absolutely buy.

Sirius needs to sell downloads of shows like that Stu guy! This is one I would absolutely buy.

Watched her acceptance speech at the Golden Globes back in the late eighties when she got the Cecil B Demille award and she was gorgeous of course but seemed to really be wanting some work.

Good GOD! So it's been 25 years since Day has been in the public eye??? UNBELIEVEABLE!!! :D

Actually it's not quite been that long, circa 1993-95 she appeared on GOOD MORNING AMERICA when they did a location shoot in Carmel and Vicki Lawrence did a full hour show with her on her VICKI talk show in this period when she too went to Carmel during a charity event for Doris' animal fund, Clint Eastwood and Loni Anderson were there and also on the program. But it's been way too long but it seems unlikely she will ever again agree to even a filmed tv interview again.

I just wish she'd put out a record of old classics, I bet she still has that gorgeous voice. All day I was humming and singing her famous . . . PERHAPS, PERHAPS, PERHAPS . . . hey, if Susan Boyle can sell records, and old timer Tony Bennett can crank them out and sell with his constant distortion of the music, why not Doris?

I just wish she'd put out a record of old classics, I bet she still has that gorgeous voice. All day I was humming and singing her famous . . . PERHAPS, PERHAPS, PERHAPS . . . hey, if Susan Boyle can sell records, and old timer Tony Bennett can crank them out and sell with his constant distortion of the music, why not Doris?

Doris just released a hit album a year and a half ago. It was a combination of previously unreleased tracks and some newer songs.

Doris just released a hit album a year and a half ago. It was a combination of previously unreleased tracks and some newer songs.

Weren't they all recorded though back in the 1980's for that BEST FRIENDS pet show she did for a year or so? I'd love for her to record something new too but then Terry is gone and I think he produced all of her recordings from the mid 1960's on, might be too painful for her to go back in the studio now.

Weren't they all recorded though back in the 1980's for that BEST FRIENDS pet show she did for a year or so? I'd love for her to record something new too but then Terry is gone and I think he produced all of her recordings from the mid 1960's on, might be too painful for her to go back in the studio now.

A majority of the songs were from the Doris Day Best Friends show, but I believe some were recorded before and after that.

Archived