Doris Day's upcoming media blitz!

Brock

Weren't they all recorded though back in the 1980's for that BEST FRIENDS pet show she did for a year or so? I'd love for her to record something new too but then Terry is gone and I think he produced all of her recordings from the mid 1960's on, might be too painful for her to go back in the studio now.

Hey, she can croon them into a megaphone all recorded by a tape recorder and I still want a copy.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 9 months later...

Tomorrow is Doris Day's 90th birthday! TCM is celebrating with a Doris movie marathon and Robert Osborne has recorded a great audio interview with Doris!

http://www.tcm.com/mediaroom/video/966042/Robert-Osborne-Interviews-Doris-Day-TCM-Original-.html

I don't think I've ever heard her be so serious about regretting leaving show business and thinking of returning again. I hope someone can convince her to make some kind of appearance.

That was a wonderful interview. Hopefully someone with a wonderful project on the back burner will listen to this and strike while the iron seems to be hot.

A "Doris Day Show" reunion movie?

How many of them are still left?  Father Denver Pyle was only 2-4 years older than daughter Doris.

Doris's YOB was always 1924, but I thought I read recently that it is actually 1922.

Doris claims that she lied about her age when she was 16. She said she was 18 so she could sing in nightclubs and that age stuck. There seems to still be some debate over whether that birth year is true or not.

Doris Day Show cast members who are still living: Rose Marie, Kaye Ballard, Bernie Kopell, Jackie Joseph, James Hampton (Leroy), Naomi Stevens (Juanita), and Philip Brown (older son Billy).

They got a few years wrong.  The shot from the "Doris Day Show" era says  2005; one from what would appear to be the late 50s says 2003.

I was not able to access Bob Osbourne's Doris Day interview.  The link just sat there and spun.  Maybe too many people viewing it? 

Again, I just wish "The Doris Day Show" had been better.  I admit not having watched too many even though it aired right after "Here's Lucy" for its last two seasons.  I actually bought the entire series on DVD.  Can anyone recommend a few GOOD episodes?  "DD is NG as PT" or  "The Martins in the Jungle"?

Again, I just wish "The Doris Day Show" had been better. I admit not having watched too many even though it aired right after "Here's Lucy" for its last two seasons. I actually bought the entire series on DVD. Can anyone recommend a few GOOD episodes? "DD is NG as PT" or "The Martins in the Jungle"?

Some episodes of The Doris Day Show I remember being above average: the second and third season Christmas shows, Tony Bennett is Eating Here, Doris Finds an Apartment, Married for a Day, Doris Strikes Out, Lost and Found, The Gas Station, and Doris Goes to Hollywood. I've seen very few episodes from the first season.

I believe she event greeted fans who visited her to sing and wish her a happy birthday- which was probably the sweetest thing Ive ever seen done for a star!

I recall reading about a similar thing happening to a certain redheaded star when she turned 70: 

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=336&dat=19810807&id=Ng0PAAAAIBAJ&sjid=X4MDAAAAIBAJ&pg=5175,1720463

I was told that we are in the transparent age, the age of information- How awesome is it that you would know this and even have the article attached! and that I would have the satisfaction of knowing that Lucy experienced the same thing-with a gospel choir no less, one of my favorite genres in choir music. I think I see Gary has a bit more than the pink bathroom/ brown kitchen taste. Im sure she loved it. 

I was told that we are in the transparent age, the age of information- How awesome is it that you would know this and even have the article attached! and that I would have the satisfaction of knowing that Lucy experienced the same thing-with a gospel choir no less, one of my favorite genres in choir music. I think I see Gary has a bit more than the pink bathroom/ brown kitchen taste. Im sure she loved it. 

Yes, I agree with you about that!  I so often hear people say they wished the were around back in the '50s and '60s because they love the movies, TV shows and music from that era.  But the thing is, we have all that now, and in such abundance.  It's more available now than it ever was back then.  People had to wait a whole week, or for the summer to end, to see the next episode of ILL.  But in this day and age, you can look at any episode any time you want.  Nobody could even dream of being able to do that back then.  And yes, I love being able to affirm a memory I have about something in a matter of seconds, thanks to Google.  And I love it when I am out somewhere, hear a song I like but don't know what it is, then search the lyrics on Google and find the song in a matter of moments. And some smart phones are able to tell you what the song is, and the artist, just by pointing the phone at the radio.  And here we are, strangers who are able to connect with one another and communicate and share memories about a mutual interest.  These are amazing times!

The wundaful thing is she seems to be happy, lucid and in good health.  Such a pleasant surprise that she's been so "out and about" at this landmark time.... just makes me hope we'll be seeing more of her. Rock on, Miss Day! ;)

She does appear to be in good spirits and good health.  I've wondered how she's been doing since her son's death.  Being predeceased by one's own child takes a toll and could have brought her down.  But she seems very strong.  I guess friends, her grandson and her animals keep her going. By the way, this is her grandson:

http://ryanmelcher.com/about-the-team/

• 1 month later...

Archived