Doris Day's upcoming media blitz!

Brock

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Guardian (!) reports Doris Day (!) is seriously considering a role offered to her by Clint Eastwood:

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2015/sep/22/doris-day-out-retirement-clint-eastwood

I am not holding my breath for this one, but it would be so nice to see her back on the screen again.

If Dodo turns him town, he should turn to the recipient of his first screen kiss, Carol Channing. Both had supporting roles in the 1956 comedy "the First Traveling Saleslady", one of (if not THE) last movies released by RKO which Ginger later referred to as "the movie that sunk RKO".   It's a little trifle about a corset-selling team (ginger, Carol) in the old west that turns from selling corsets to barbed wire!!

Imagine if this was true! Doris could possibly get a real Oscar! I was wondering if Doris 47-plus years between theatrical films would be a record, but Luise Rainer went 54 years between movies. Luise just had to hold every record.

If Dodo turns him town, he should turn to the recipient of his first screen kiss, Carol Channing. Both had supporting roles in the 1956 comedy "the First Traveling Saleslady", one of (if not THE) last movies released by RKO which Ginger later referred to as "the movie that sunk RKO". It's a little trifle about a corset-selling team (ginger, Carol) in the old west that turns from selling corsets to barbed wire!!

Ginger and Carol called the movie "Death of a Saleslady."

• 6 months later...

I watched a few of the Doris Day Shows run by Decades this weekend.  They ran 84 episodes back to back.  It's not as bad as I remember.  Doris is bubbly, beautiful and charming but the scripts are just so-so.  The supporting cast would come and go.  Was there any transition mentioned in the show when the boss-best friend went from MacLean Stevenson-Rosemarie to John Dehner-Jackie Joseph (Doris's Mary Jane Lewis)?  At least Doris's two boys were in the show for a while after Doris became a career gal, but were eventually forgotten (military school?) and during the last season Doris is referred to as "Miss Martin".   I was hoping they would run the one where Doris Martin entered the Doris Day lookalike contest.  I guess our early 70s TVs weren't all that sharp because I never noticed how soft-focus and filtered the shots of Doris are.  They make Lucy's Mame close ups look positively sharp. 

At least two tabloids last week ran cover stories featuring Nancy Reagan tearfully forgiving Doris on her deathbed for apparently having an affair with Ronald. Lol

Ohhhh . . . . dear.  Well, I don't think that's true.  I can't imagine Nancy ever let 'ol Ronnie out of her sight long enough for him to have an affair.  And her psychic would have helped her preempt anything untoward.

You got me very curious, so I did a little Googling and found out about this tell-all book on Reagan that, I guess, came out last year?  I'm reading this article about the book (link below) and this line stood out for obvious reasons:

"Jacqueline Park, a former Warner Bros starlet, said Reagan would always make her take the bus to and from his home, even late at night, rather than pay for a taxi.

When she became pregnant, he refused to have anything to do with her, she claimed. Park — who said she wasn’t seeing anyone else at the time — had the baby aborted."

I wish Jerry Fallwell were still alive only so I could tell him this.  And then tell him where to go shove it.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2943309/Rampant-Ronald-Reagan-Former-president-ladies-man-Hollywood-days-new-book-lays-save-affairs-stars-Doris-Day-Lana-Turner-Monroe.html

And then there's this in another article, regarding Piper Laurie (who is still alive):

Desperate to appear experienced and worldly she agreed to a date with her older co-star which resulted in him taking her virginity. It was, to put it mildly, a disaster. Reagan accused the 18-year-old of being "abnormal" because she didn't have an orgasm. "There's something wrong with you that you should fix," he said harshly.

"It was absolutely stupid of him," says Laurie. "He was ignorant of the fact that it was my first time. I wanted to be so sophisticated. Everyone was a virgin in those days till they got married, but I was adventurous and I was infatuated and I didn't want to say I was a virgin."

She was 18 at the time (just barely an adult) and he was 39.  If this stuff I'm reading about Reagan is true, he's starting to make Bill Clinton look like a saint by comparison.

http://www.thejc.com/arts/arts-features/66227/why-i-had-reject-hollywood

I don't know most of these women so I can't speak for them, but Piper Laurie is a very respected actress. I can't see her saying something like that if it weren't true.

Well, if I can overlook that Clark Gable raped Loretta Young, I can certainly look over this.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived