VIVIAN VANCE & BILL FRAWLEY ENTER TV HALL OF FAME!!

Brock

Question: Brock, with the pictures you mentioned, "Bill's main squeeze Patricia Berry". Did you mean :bill1: Bill Frawley? If so, is there a story with that? :)

Patricia and Bill were very close friends towards the end of his life, which led to rumours they were more than friends. I don't think there was any evidence of that though. IIRC -- and this is another reason I'd love to find my copy of Meet the Mertzes sooner rather than later -- she and her family also got special mention in his will.

Magster, that's the first thing I thought of when I heard that about the cantalope & vanilla ice cream! One of these days I'll try it in his honor :)

It sounds potentially delicious to me!

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Patricia and Bill were very close friends towards the end of his life, which led to rumours they were more than friends. I don't think there was any evidence of that though. IIRC -- and this is another reason I'd love to find my copy of Meet the Mertzes sooner rather than later -- she and her family also got special mention in his will.

Just browsed through my copy of Meet the Mertzes. Bill left the bulk of his estate to Patricia and left $1000 each to her two daughters.

Yes, very interesting. Does anyone know if she has ever been interviewed about Bill? Now I have to go & find my copy of Meet the Mertzes :) .

Excerpt from Meet the Mertzes, New Friendships Chapter, pp 199-201 -

"When in the company of the opposite sex, especially younger females, such as Meredith MacRae, Frawley would be . . . well mannered. . . . his old age, he became fond of one particular woman: actress Patricia Barry, who did guest shots on M3S and appeared with him on-screen in Safe At Home! 1962, his only post-I Love Lucy feature film. . . . Barry was born in 1930, Davenport, Iowa, 43 yrs Frawley's junior; married in 1950 . . . was a widow in 1998, so still married at this time.

During the late 50's and early 60's, she was one of the busier tv guest stars. . . . 'Frawley had a special, uncharacteristic fondness for' . . . 'fallen pretty hard' . . . 'talking about her constantly' . . . 'real pals' . . . 'really close' . . . 'real friendship there' - 'she knew him pretty well' . . .

Frawley's feelings for Barry were a matter of public record. '. . . goes over to the Barry household to watch Patricia's two young daughters put on a puppet show' . . . 'much faith in acting ability of Barry' . . . 'he thinks someone should give her a billion dollar contract' . . . 'it wasn't a scandal' . . . 'everybody knew about it; nobody cared' . . . 'she made Bill happy' . . . 'that was important' . . .

page 230 - 'Declining Health' chapter . . . surprise of the will was Frawley bequeathed $1,000 each to the 2 daughters of Patricia Barry. PLUS: "I hereby devise and bequeath all the rest, residue and remainder of my estate to Patricia Barry, the mother of (said-named girls); and . . . "in the event she pre-deceases me, all the rest, etc. . . . goes to John Gallaudet (Frawley's old actor pal)".... The will was 'deemed valid' in court, being contested on behalf of Bill's siblings, incapacitated..., the suit never being brought to trial."

Excerpt from Meet the Mertzes, New Friendships Chapter, pp 199-201 -

"When in the company of the opposite sex, especially younger females, such as Meredith MacRae, Frawley would be . . . well mannered. . . . his old age, he became fond of one particular woman: actress Patricia Barry, who did guest shots on M3S and appeared with him on-screen in Safe At Home! 1962, his only post-I Love Lucy feature film. . . . Barry was born in 1930, Davenport, Iowa, 43 yrs Frawley's junior; married in 1950 . . . was a widow in 1998, so still married at this time.

During the late 50's and early 60's, she was one of the busier tv guest stars. . . . 'Frawley had a special, uncharacteristic fondness for' . . . 'fallen pretty hard' . . . 'talking about her constantly' . . . 'real pals' . . . 'really close' . . . 'real friendship there' - 'she knew him pretty well' . . .

Frawley's feelings for Barry were a matter of public record. '. . . goes over to the Barry household to watch Patricia's two young daughters put on a puppet show' . . . 'much faith in acting ability of Barry' . . . 'he thinks someone should give her a billion dollar contract' . . . 'it wasn't a scandal' . . . 'everybody knew about it; nobody cared' . . . 'she made Bill happy' . . . 'that was important' . . .

page 230 - 'Declining Health' chapter . . . surprise of the will was Frawley bequeathed $1,000 each to the 2 daughters of Patricia Barry. PLUS: "I hereby devise and bequeath all the rest, residue and remainder of my estate to Patricia Barry, the mother of (said-named girls); and . . . "in the event she pre-deceases me, all the rest, etc. . . . goes to John Gallaudet (Frawley's old actor pal)".... The will was 'deemed valid' in court, being contested on behalf of Bill's siblings, incapacitated..., the suit never being brought to trial."

It was HIS money, why shouldn't he leave it to whoever he wanted.

• 9 months later...

Apparently artist Richard Becker was commissioned to sculpt a bust of Viv for the Academy of Television Arts and Sciences courtyard, joining statues of Lucy and Desi. Pictures of the great sculpture from all angles can be seen here:

http://richardbecker.../emmys-hof-2012

Do any of our California posters know if the sculpture has been unveiled yet? Any word on a Bill bust?

The same sculptor was commissioned for similar works honouring Mary Tyler Moore and James L. Brooks: http://richardbecker.com/category/sculpture-projects

Archived