Working with Miss Ball

chedderchester

• 7 months later...

Madelyn said the exact same thing on one of the bios, maybe the Home Movies.

If I got cast as an extra on one of her shows with only a couple lines, do you think she would give me good advice if I was having trouble with something like blocking or how to say a line? I know she always wanted everybody to project their lines but I wouldn't want her to snap at me if I really couldn't do something perfectly. Showing up late to rehearsals and not committing to your work . . . that's a good reason for you to get fired!

If I got cast as an extra on one of her shows with only a couple lines, do you think she would give me good advice if I was having trouble with something like blocking or how to say a line? I know she always wanted everybody to project their lines but I wouldn't want her to snap at me if I really couldn't do something perfectly. Showing up late to rehearsals and not committing to your work . . . that's a good reason for you to get fired!

I bet she would have helped you. I don't think when she gave instructions to others that she was snapping unless she knew they weren't being serious or were unprofessional, etc. It was all in the tone of her voice. Sometimes when I'm kidding around people take me too seriously and vice versa. I think Lucy was the same way. Most of the time I think she didn't mean to sound too harsh. As it has been said many times before, had she been a man doing and saying the same things no one would've batted an eye. <_<

Like Taylor said they more than likely exaggerated everything she said, she was a woman so anything she said came out to man as a bitch. They didn't wanna listen to a woman in charge. I'm sure if Desi said one thing in a certain tone and Lucy did the same way, guess who would be considered a bitch? Plus she got tougher so people would take her seriously. We all know this, I'm just playing the same tune.

But if any of us were playing an extra on a Lucy show and you were having trouble and you came to her for help I'm sure Lucy would tell you exactly what she would like you to do and teach you. She loved teaching new actor/actresses tools of the trade. Especially if she can see talent inside you. But if you do your line and you didn't lay it down, she will more than likely stop you, talk it over with you again, have you do it and you show her you understand. One thing with Lucy is that she loved helping with newcomers. A perfect example of that is those college seminars.

In that case I would've loved to be an extra in one of her shows! Sure she was in charge of EVERYTHING, including hair and makeup, and there weren't too many breaks, but it was her show and it would've probably been the coolest thing for her to be my boss for a week, especially if I could do everything exactly the way she wanted. I just read in "Ball of Fire" that she was a holy terror on the set and when they were taping "Lucy Meets the Mustache," Edie Adams just could not satisfy her, but there was a good reason why she was frustrated. As Carol Burnett said, she definitely was tough, but in a good way, like my grandmother who ran the maternity ward in the hospital--she was tough but her nurses LOVED her. My neighbor who lives 3 doors down from me worked for her. And yeah, lots of actors and actresses were taken aback because Ball was a woman.

In "Lucy the Robot" I watched that little featurette and she spent hours perfecting the rhythm of her robot walk. So, I want to know her technique for when they were blowing up helium balloons in Kiddie Parties Inc. I bet she and Viv spent a lot of time at that tank getting their timing all right.

Archived