Favorite Lucille Ball Interviews

blitnowink

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What are some of your favorite interviews of Lucille Ball? These don't have to necessarily be televised ones.

Also, are there any favorite interviews that have not turned up in "bootleg" world of Lucy tape/CD/DVD trading in recent years?

There are so many that i hope we start getting those interviews once the Lucy shows are all out on dvd. I have quite a few, the Barbara Walters one is a favorite, i finally got to see inside her home on Roxbury. The Merv Griffin ones, especially the one where she is assisted by her family and they show her Mame for the first time. There was another great Merv interview with her writers Bob and Madelyn. The Phil Donahue one again promoting Mame was very good. She did several with Mike Douglas also, even a whole week of co hosting one time where she showed films of Home Movies with her kids and modeled that famous MINK dress. The Joan Rivers ones, along with the Merv one are the best as they both LOVED her a lot and it shows. The Dick Cavett ones are good but she comes off a bit colder. I never was a fan of Carson's so i'm not big on those although i have a couple. David Hartman interviewed her for Good morning America when she got that tribute at the Paley center and that was a good one, a better one though was by Gary Collins of Hour Magazine i think. Wish i had more of her great Dinah Shore ones, again a friend and those were always the best. Of her many many print interviews, the LOOK article is my favorite as it's long and full of info on ou Lady of Beverly Hills.

My top favorites are probably the Dinah! show with Lucy, Lucie, Viv, DeDe, and Zsa Zsa Gabor; The Merv Griffin Show with Gary, the kids, Gale, and Bob Hope; and The Phil Donahue Show. Most of Lucy's Dinah! shows are terrific - another favorite is with Lucy, Valerie Harper, Carol Burnett, and Gale.

My top favorites are probably the Dinah! show with Lucy, Lucie, Viv, DeDe, and Zsa Zsa Gabor; The Merv Griffin Show with Gary, the kids, Gale, and Bob Hope; and The Phil Donahue Show. Most of Lucy's Dinah! shows are terrific - another favorite is with Lucy, Valerie Harper, Carol Burnett, and Gale.

Harry: Sure wish we could 'narrow down' the dates of these interviews; I can find NO reference to the Dinah one with DeDe, and the others; the other dates would be a good 'edit' for me, too, if you have those.... Thanks...jk

Now, you see, i wasn't even aware that Lucy had done a Dinah with Valerie Harper, the chorus girl from Wildcat, although i clearly remember Val saying to Lucy, REMEMBER ME? when Lucy presented her with an Emmy award one time.

There are so many that i hope we start getting those interviews once the Lucy shows are all out on dvd. I have quite a few, the Barbara Walters one is a favorite, i finally got to see inside her home on Roxbury. The Merv Griffin ones, especially the one where she is assisted by her family and they show her Mame for the first time. There was another great Merv interview with her writers Bob and Madelyn. The Phil Donahue one again promoting Mame was very good. She did several with Mike Douglas also, even a whole week of co hosting one time where she showed films of Home Movies with her kids and modeled that famous MINK dress. The Joan Rivers ones, along with the Merv one are the best as they both LOVED her a lot and it shows. The Dick Cavett ones are good but she comes off a bit colder. I never was a fan of Carson's so i'm not big on those although i have a couple. David Hartman interviewed her for Good morning America when she got that tribute at the Paley center and that was a good one, a better one though was by Gary Collins of Hour Magazine i think. Wish i had more of her great Dinah Shore ones, again a friend and those were always the best. Of her many many print interviews, the LOOK article is my favorite as it's long and full of info on ou Lady of Beverly Hills.

Those are all great Claude, but i think you're confusing the Gary Collins Hour Magazine one with the much better America Alive with Art Linkletter's son Jack, where Lucy was quite energized among University students and assisted by gary.

Of the Lucy interviews I've seen, I think my two all-time favorites would have to be 1.) the Merv Griffin show with Gary, Gale, the kids, and Bob Hope where Lucy sees Mame for the first time. I love how energized and excited Lucy is for the entire interview and 2.) the Merv Griffin show where Lucy is with Bob and Madelyn. Lucy, again (and I know this was because she loved and trusted Merv) is relaxed, amiable, and chatty, and I love the interaction between Lucy, Bob, and Madelyn.

Those would definitely be my top two, but I always love to see any interview with Lucy, even the ones where she comes off a little cold or harsh (like the Dick Cavett one). I recently watched the Phil Donahue interview again on Youtube, and that one's great too. Lucy's relaxed and obviously pleased to be there. I know I've seen at least a couple of the Dinah interviews with Lucy, which are also fantastic, and I believe some of them even used to be on Youtube but aren't there anymore (I don't think).

Of the Lucy interviews I've seen, I think my two all-time favorites would have to be 1.) the Merv Griffin show with Gary, Gale, the kids, and Bob Hope where Lucy sees Mame for the first time. I love how energized and excited Lucy is for the entire interview and 2.) the Merv Griffin show where Lucy is with Bob and Madelyn. Lucy, again (and I know this was because she loved and trusted Merv) is relaxed, amiable, and chatty, and I love the interaction between Lucy, Bob, and Madelyn.

Those would definitely be my top two, but I always love to see any interview with Lucy, even the ones where she comes off a little cold or harsh (like the Dick Cavett one). I recently watched the Phil Donahue interview again on Youtube, and that one's great too. Lucy's relaxed and obviously pleased to be there. I know I've seen at least a couple of the Dinah interviews with Lucy, which are also fantastic, and I believe some of them even used to be on Youtube but aren't there anymore (I don't think).

Once beau comes back home, i can get him to copy some of mine for you, it's been years since i was able to send people things now that i can't do them myself. I neve did get the Cavett one, somebody made ME a copy of that one along with Burnett's and Benny's, his SET never was available here back then, although i think it is now. You know, one copy every thousand miles or so. Very R A R E ! I thought she was great on his show, lots of insights and honest opinions. That's just the way she was, D I R E C T , no bullshit, loved the MAYBE YOU WERE QUEER FOR EDDIE CANTOR and then repeats something different when caught. And that playfullness of doing things during comemrcials and getting back in position just in time for AIR.

I am obsessed with Lucy's joint interview with Otto Preminger, David Mamet, and Elizabeth Ashley on The Irv Kupcinet Show.

Oh yes, that's a GREAT ONE TOO! Is that the one where she' supposed to have blasted Liz? And i love the other British one where she's on in her Critic's Choice classy outfit and is on with many, even her great admirer . . . . can't think of his name, the older British author, actor, director . . . oh help me Brock . . . .HOWARD? Cecil?

Is that the one where she' supposed to have blasted Liz?

Yes, she did! Lucy wasn't having ANY of Elizabeth Ashley's nonsense. :marionstrong:

And i love the other British one where she's on in her Critic's Choice classy outfit and is on with many, even her great admirer . . . . can't think of his name, the older British author, actor, director . . . oh help me Brock . . . .HOWARD? Cecil?

If you're talking about The Eamonn Andrews Show I think she was on with Noel Coward* and Mohammad Ali.

*they chatted till one, she bathed till two, turned down scripts until three.

Yes, she did! Lucy wasn't having ANY of Elizabeth Ashley's nonsense. :marionstrong:

If you're talking about The Eamonn Andrews Show I think she was on with Noel Coward* and Mohammad Ali.

Thank you, at least i had Howard which was close to Coward, he was so sweet in his comments to Lucy.

Never saw that, where can I get a copy? And who the hell is Elizabeth Ashley and what did Lucy say to her? :marionstrong:

Never saw that, where can I get a copy? And who the hell is Elizabeth Ashley and what did Lucy say to her? :marionstrong:

Liz Ashley was a poor man's Liz Taylor, married to actor George Peppard at one time, but in her private life she was more of a poor man's Tallulah Bankhead. Wasn't she on a tv show at one time? Was it Evening Shade with Burt Reynolds?

I don't know where one can get a copy, but the whole thing used to be on YouTube for a while. This is the only clip left online:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyvG92Ff2NQ

Elizabeth spent most of the interview going on about all the woes in her life and Lucy essentially (and repeatedly) called her a liar and told her to suck it up. LOL

I am obsessed with Lucy's joint interview with Otto Preminger, David Mamet, and Elizabeth Ashley on The Irv Kupcinet Show.

This one IS great. I think the only time we see Lucy on a talk show sans wig and smoking! I love how Otto calls her on stuff. One hole in Lucy's argument about the smutty fare put out on TV: she makes it seem that people are forced to watch when they could just turn it off. Because of her love of John Ritter, she championed "3's Company' enough to host the retrospective, but that show is nothing but smarm. (unless I'm missing something)

The general rule of thumb is the earlier the interview, the more enjoyable Lucy is. I've only seen two of the Dinah talk shows with Lucy; the one with Ella Fitzgerald just recently; the one with Valerie Harper and Carol Burnett when it aired. I remember that Lucy seemed annoyed in this one, not really into talking about Wildcat. Dinah presents her with an authentic playbill of Wildcat and Lucy takes it without looking at it and starts fanning herself with it!

Some of those 70s talk show appearances were hard to watch. I wish more of her 60s stuff still existed.

The best one that I've seen was Lucy and Viv as surprised guests on Mike douglas in 1968 right before Here's lucy. Lucy was a surprise to Mike. Then after her interview, Viv surprises both Lucy and Mike. It was a great reunion, so noteworthy TV Guide did an article about. There just isn't television like this anymore.

Another is a David Frost show about 1970. Not the one with Carol Burnett, but that one's good too. It was the first talk show I saw (other than Douglas) and she seemed so serious and intelligent, but still entertaining, that it was hard to imagine that she's the same one who was simultaneously putting out the (mostly) dreadful 3rd season here's Lucy product.

I don't know where one can get a copy, but the whole thing used to be on YouTube for a while. This is the only clip left online:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyvG92Ff2NQ

Elizabeth spent most of the interview going on about all the woes in her life and Lucy essentially (and repeatedly) called her a liar and told her to suck it up. LOL

Lucy said it about her students at the Desilu Playhouse and many other times throughout her life, she just couldn't stand those sorry messes who cry and complain all the time instead of just moving on and summoning up the strenghth to do what they have to do and stop relying on others to do it for them.

This one IS great. I think the only time we see Lucy on a talk show sans wig and smoking! I love how Otto calls her on stuff. One hole in Lucy's argument about the smutty fare put out on TV: she makes it seem that people are forced to watch when they could just turn it off. Because of her love of John Ritter, she championed "3's Company' enough to host the retrospective, but that show is nothing but smarm. (unless I'm missing something)

Well, i used to LOVE Three's Company but now i'm totally indifferent about it. Obviously she loved John Ritter and his slapstick type humor more than she liked the smut aspect but it was very Lucyish in the instances of them always misunderstanding everything.

The general rule of thumb is the earlier the interview, the more enjoyable Lucy is. I've only seen two of the Dinah talk shows with Lucy; the one with Ella Fitzgerald just recently; the one with Valerie Harper and Carol Burnett when it aired. I remember that Lucy seemed annoyed in this one, not really into talking about Wildcat. Dinah presents her with an authentic playbill of Wildcat and Lucy takes it without looking at it and starts fanning herself with it!

Some of those 70s talk show appearances were hard to watch. I wish more of her 60s stuff still existed.

The best one that I've seen was Lucy and Viv as surprised guests on Mike douglas in 1968 right before Here's lucy. Lucy was a surprise to Mike. Then after her interview, Viv surprises both Lucy and Mike. It was a great reunion, so noteworthy TV Guide did an article about. There just isn't television like this anymore.

Another is a David Frost show about 1970. Not the one with Carol Burnett, but that one's good too. It was the first talk show I saw (other than Douglas) and she seemed so serious and intelligent, but still entertaining, that it was hard to imagine that she's the same one who was simultaneously putting out the (mostly) dreadful 3rd season here's Lucy product.

Well, for me, the general rule of thumb is the more Lucy liked the host, the better the interview as she could relax and KNOW she would not be asked anything unpleasant. It was true of Merv and Dinah and even Mike and to some extent Dick, but not so carson. And i disagree with you about the later interviews because the ones with Joan Rivers were at the end of her life, plugging the All Star Party, Stone Pillow or even the dreadful Life with Lucy where Lucy is doing what she hated from others, whining about how sad it was that they wanted the younger Lucy and it's Joan cheering her up and to forget about the bad reviews and hateful letters. Proving once again if the interviewer LOVED her, it would be a great interview. I have to add however that i was stunned that Desi never wanted her to do interviews, obviously as he knew that the TV Lucy was totally different from the real life Lucy and that she would come off as harsh when all she was was brutally honest and direct. I think also that she wound up mellowing with age and the softness she displays at the end of her life, at least on tv interviews, is just her being thankful for the love people had for her and the admiration and adulation bestowed on her by this adoring public.

This one IS great. I think the only time we see Lucy on a talk show sans wig and smoking! I love how Otto calls her on stuff.

It's probably also the only time we see her in an interview take out her purse and take a pill. :marionstrong: I love how Lucy keeps touching Otto and stroking his hand. He didn't seem to mind.

I remember that Lucy seemed annoyed in this one, not really into talking about Wildcat. Dinah presents her with an authentic playbill of Wildcat and Lucy takes it without looking at it and starts fanning herself with it!

Lucy seems pleased to be talking about Valerie's involvement in Wildcat. Valerie couldn't remember if they did out of town tryouts in both Philadelphia and Boston or just Philadelphia. Lucy has no idea, but Dinah keeps bringing it up, so Lucy finally says, "Who the hell cares?" Dinah later says was stalling for time because she wasn't sure if surprise guest Carol Burnett was ready or not. "Who the hell cares?" becomes a running joke throughout the rest of the interview. Lucy is coaxed into doing an enthusiastic rendition of "Hey, Look Me Over!" with Valerie and Dinah.

It's probably also the only time we see her in an interview take out her purse and take a pill. :marionstrong: I love how Lucy keeps touching Otto and stroking his hand. He didn't seem to mind.

AND YET OTTO HAS DONE SOME OF THE MOST SEX CRAZED MOVIE SCENES EVER FILMED!

Lucy seems pleased to be talking about Valerie's involvement in Wildcat. Valerie couldn't remember if they did out of town tryouts in both Philadelphia and Boston or just Philadelphia. Lucy has no idea, but Dinah keeps bringing it up, so Lucy finally says, "Who the hell cares?" Dinah later says was stalling for time because she wasn't sure if surprise guest Carol Burnett was ready or not. "Who the hell cares?" becomes a running joke throughout the rest of the interview. Lucy is coaxed into doing an enthusiastic rendition of "Hey, Look Me Over!" with Valerie and Dinah.

OMG, I HAVE TO GET A COPY OF THAT, I REMEMBER SEEING IT OF COURSE BUT I DUN'T HAVE IT RECORDED UNFORTUNATELY! After we're finished with The Lucy Sow and Here's Lucy, i want LUCY ON TALK SHOWS! And Lucy's own talk show of course, Let's Talk to Lucy which should have been done on tv and aired after Here's Lucy left the air, LOL!

It's probably also the only time we see her in an interview take out her purse and take a pill. :marionstrong:

Maybe Lucy had a HOT date with Burt Reynolds afterwards and as she kept getting pregnant on film after a certain age like in Yours mine and whositz, she was afraid to raise a third one and NOT play with it, E V E R !

It's probably also the only time we see her in an interview take out her purse and take a pill. :marionstrong:

Maybe Lucy had a HOT date with Burt Reynolds afterwards and as she kept getting pregnant on film after a certain age like in Yours mine and whositz, she was afraid to raise a third one and NOT play with it, E V E R !

LMAO. Yeah, makes you wonder what kind of pill that was... :peachonthebeach:

Archived